“what do people expect !!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kassandra Family ApartHotel

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“what do people expect !!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

Really wish people would not write such terrible comments, you get what you pay for here !!.
All staff WONDERFUL, and George is what the Kassandra is all about.
As said before, room cleaned daily, fresh towels too, beds were so comfortable and the pillows too.
Food in the Apartments was GREAT the two lady chefs are amaizing and work so hard.
Only down side I came across was..... the reception man.!!... Now if anybody from the Kassandra reads these comments PLEASE give him a lesson in "customer service", It costs nothing to smile OR even say good morning, but try as I might I never once got him to smile :(.

All in all a wonderful holiday, so anybody reading these before you go, enjoy the warm sun, the great food, and relaxed surroundings.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank charmaine t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

the appartment was ok ,, just comfortable realy ,,there was no sofa to sit on though, the holiday was great ,, every think was local to the appartment ,, the beach was just 10 min stroll and the main shops were jus a close realy , we were satisfied with the holiday for what we paid ,, but we would definatley not fly with Skywings again ,tasos the barman was the greatest barman we have ever met ,, so friendly and had such a laugh with him ,the food was great and the people were very nice too ,, we had fresh towels every day and room service cleaned our room , it was good all in all really ,, hope to go back one day ,, very nice ,,!!!!!!,

Room Tip: 262 was the best for us ,,
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colleen w
KassandraHotel, Ιδιοκτήτης at Kassandra Family ApartHotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2016
Dear colleen w

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a personal review here on TripAdvisor following your stay at the Kassandra Family ApartHotel.

It is particularly warming to receive an evaluation like yours and to know that our efforts to provide service and hospitality are so much appreciated.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back
Kassandra Family ApartHotel in the near future.

All my colleagues join me in wishing you the best.

With our warmest regards from Rhodes
Sincerely.

Manolis Zampellakis, Hotel Manager
mail to: hotelkassandra@gmail.com
Susdsex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I was a little apprehenisve after reading other reviews, especially when we were sent up the lift to the older area with a scratched key and taken down the so called dingy corridor to a flimsy door. There was no need. It was great, firat impressioins were the living area was tiny, but who needs it with an enormous balcony! We spent all our time out there not in the apartment. If you want to stay in the room (and to be honest I can't see why anybody would want to with so much to see and do) then this is not for you but for somewhere clean and safe with a conmfortable bed to stay its fine. The pools were great and there were always enough sun loungers. The food was reasonably piced and pretty good, not stunnihng but certainly OK and all freshly cooked, so thats why the wait. I wondered why everything had chips with it, even pasta, but this seemed to be normal in the resort. Yes it is hot but the walk to the beach or to town is really not too far, just remember the hat and some water. The free wifi in the front bar was a real assett and meant the kids could keep on facebook and I couldl look up weather etc. The staff all work really hard. We hired a car to get to Lindos, for a family it was the cheapest and most convenient options. It was very hot and to be honest the acropolis wasn't worth the long hot climb, but it has to be done!. Kamerios was wonderful we got there early evening and it is well worth it as is the bay opposite by the Porto Antica cafe. Check times for monuments, they seem to close at 3 ish except on weekends and the early evening is so much better in the heat.

The check in both ends was terrible, we paid for for seats together going out and a vegetarian meal and got neither. This was made up for by having one of the best caion crews I have ever had.,

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Cultured_family
Dear Cultured_family

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back
Kassandra Family ApartHotel in the near future.

All my colleagues join me in wishing you the best.

With our warmest regards from Rhodes
Sincerely.

Manolis Zampellakis, Hotel Manager
mail to: hotelkassandra@gmail.com
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is the second time I have stayed in these apartments, I have just returned from a week there with my best friend and we had a really good time. The room was basic but very clean and had everything you needed in it, our beds were comfy, with fresh sheets put on the bed everyday.
The bathroom was clean but basic again, it could have done with an updated shower but it didn't make any difference to our holiday.
The kitchen just had a 2 ring hob and a fridge, but for a week you dont need much more. In the main part of our room we did have a very modern tv, with english programmes on there which was nice in the evening while we were eating.
We paid extra for breakfast, which was really nice and good quality food, and although we normally got there towards the end of breakfast the girl there was more than happy to get us anything that had already run out.
The pool was really nice and very clean, and we didnt struggle to get sunbeds whenever we went (and we definitely werent there at 6.30!!!)
The taverna served good food for good prices on the nights we didnt want to cook, its slow service but we were in greece and expected nothing more, nothing over there is rushed!
The on site supermarket stocks everything you need and the staff there were really lovely. The bus stop outside takes you to rhodes, for €2.10, they run every 15mins up to midnight which was excellent.
The only thing we were let down by was the fact the Greek Night was cancelled, we went down to the pool bar to wait and after half an hour we went to reception to ask whether it was on and he said "no we decide week to week" but this had not been written anywhere.
All in all we had a lovely week, very relaxing in a nice apartment.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Megan1991
Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

I realise that Greece is basic but this is beyond basic. The apartment we stayed in was appalling. It was dark, dingy and dirty. The self catering facilities were pathetic (a kettle, a 2 ring camping hob and a fridge). The apartment only had 4 plug sockets only 2 of which actually worked. Half of the lights didnt work and all but 2 of them were hanging off and there were exposed wires hanging out of all the walls. Our balcony was actually twice the size of the room which does beg the question who the hell designed it. Although the cleaner came everyday she never swept the tile floor or mopped once and by then end of the week the floor was filthy. The sunbed situation was ridiculous as there were only about 40 sunbeds spread between 2 pools for over 120 apartments. The pool at the rear of the complex was disgusting and all you could smell was sewerage and the tiles around the outside were all loose. The staff on reception were very rude and unfriendly and the air-conditioning charge of $49 per week (even though the tariff on the desk said $42) is extortionate for something that doesnt work properly and only cools the kitchen corridor and not the bedrooms where you need it most.

Dont book here if you can avoid it. I would like to say if I had paid budget price then perhaps I would have had lower expectations but this was a far from cheap holiday and I feel really let down.

Room Tip: You will only get the newer apartments if you are scandavian
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Jo P

Travellers are raving about these Ialyssos hotels

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

I have just returned from two weeks at this hotel, I am well used to the standards in a typical Greek package tour hotel and don't ever expect 4 or really 3 international star ratings, and I am a big fan of Greece.

My stay did not get off to a good start, there were four of us and we were allocated a two bedroom apartment (room 254) in the older run down block closest to the road. The entrance to this block is very depressing and so was the room, really dark furniture, no hot water, a noisy leaking toilet that kept me awake. What dissapointed me the most was the balcony which was more like a window ledge and could only just squeeze two people at one time, impossible for four to sit there. I tried to move rooms straight away but was told by an unfriendly man at reception that there was nothing he could do.

To cut a long story short, after two days we were moved to a one bedroom apartment in the block above the hotel taverna which was so much brighter. After this move I felt so relaxed for the rest of my stay at this hotel.

The hotel in general I found ok, typicaly Greek, no thrills and slightly run down, the parasols and some sun loungers are a bit shabby. There are two pools, non of them very large, the first one in the middle in between two bars and I found this area very cosy and relaxing especially at night. The second pool is next to the hotel taverna and is slightly larger but some of tha slabs were loose around it and could be slippy.

I never ate at the hotel taverna, so I can't comment on the food.

There is a mixture of different nationalities, which I liked, mainly Dutch, so you are not completely surrounded by egg and bacon eating Brits where the males read tabloids and the women read one of Jordon's books, haha.

The hotel is ten minute walk from the beech (I timed it) and for me it was in a location that suited me, the bus stop to Rhodes town is situated right outside, and not far from all the tavernas and bars of Trianda.

There is free WIFI but only works in the bar nearest reception.

If you are used to a high standard then this hotel may not be for you but I have stayed at all kinds of different star hotel and knew what to expect and had a relaxing stay (apart from the first two days.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay at this hotel, insist that you are not housed in the run down block nearest...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

We booked this hotel through Thomas Cook, and after going to Kos with Olympic Holidays last year we were excited to go to Rhodes this year. What a mistake...
We got there, the hotel lobby was nice, but the hotel itself is quite inland, it is certainly not a "five minute stroll" as they so put, it takes about 15 minutes and by that time in the heat you are sweltering.
When we checked in, the man at the desk was very short and spoke poor English (for which I am not judgemental, but when they are not nice it does make communicating a lot harder!!) and we had been stood in the queue for a while, watching others check in, receiving key cards and being told that to switch the lights on, you had to put the key in the slot, which we are under the impression is standard in ALL hotels. You can imagine our amazement then when we check in and are given a dirty old key!! Tried not to give each other scared looks as we rattled upstairs in the tiny box lift, and were spat out in a dated, dimly lit corridor, with old doors that I wouldn't even put on my bedroom!! They are such a risk as they are not at ALL strong, and can easily be broken into by a simply shoulder barge, which makes me glad we did not bring many valuables with us. Because it was such a cheap, old and poorly fitted door, whenever there was a breeze in the corridor outside it banged constantly, even when it was locked, so we actually had to wedge something under it for some peace and quiet!!
Then comes the bathroom, which is TINY; when you open the door it cannot even open fully because the wash basin is in the way and there isn't enough room. The "shower" is simply a shower head fixed to the wall which was FULL of gritty limescale (as was pretty much the rest of the room!), there is no shower basin, simply two FILTHY plugs in the floor, which don't even work because every time you have a shower the room floods. The toilet brings the words "well used" to mind, as it is disgusting with suspicious looking stains on the lid that don't come off when you clean, I would not even have called the toilet basic, it was lower than that!
Lastly, all round the room there was hanging wires that were unprotected, the fuse box by the door is exposed, two sets of exposed wires by the side of the bed, the walls were all stained, and all around the room, particularly the edges, it was full of dirt and hair!
Now I'm not a snob, but I was told this hotel was a three star resort, and after seeing our hotel last year which was three stars (basic but gorgeous at the same time, with a bath and very spacious!!) I had standards, of which this hotel did not even touch. After this I went and took the Olympic office number, phoned them and demanded something be done because I was livid, she just kept bleating that all their other resorts were full because it was peak season (which is probably true, but even so!) and that she would ring downstairs to check all the other rooms were full and that I should go down in 5-10 mins when she had spoken to reception. I went down in twenty minutes, and when I asked had he spoken to the rep, he misunderstood me and started shouting at me, saying he did not have the time to always speak to the rep (despite the fact that he'd been sitting on his bum staring into space), but when he finally understood what I meant he said no, so I was really annoyed AND confused, but decided to wait and speak to the proper rep in the welcome meeting the following day. We then asked to pay for the air con for the week, of which there was a sign right in front of us that said 42 euros, and he said 49, when we asked him wasn't it 42, he AGAIN blew up at us, saying that was last years prices blah blah blah, we were so hot and bothered by this time we gave in and paid.
We met Dean, the rep, the following day, he was really nice but echoed the office woman that there was nothing he could do, so we gave in and tried to make the most out of the holiday, mainly by staying out of the room!
Next, there is a supermarket almost onsite, which has lovely staff, but always seems completely understocked. We ended up doing a ten minute walk left on the main road and going to the first set of shops there on the right where they do EVERYTHING pretty much, and are more reasonable price wise.
The pool is the fun part...if you want a decent spot you have to go down at 6:30am to put your towel down, else by 7:30 it is full!!! Because there is such a lack of beds, you end up having fights with people who steal yours if you are more than an hour coming down like me (it is not his business what time I choose to come down!!). The front pool tends to attract most of the kids, so if you want a bit more peace you go to the back pool behind the taverna, which unfortunately STINKS of sewage and is constantly flown over by dragon flies (if you are a wimp like me this will put you off, they really are HUGE!!!).
The taverna, on the other hand, has fairly nice staff. The food isn't brilliant, fairly expensive but edible. There are some lovely kittens who hang around asking for your food but they are very friendly and very cute!!
Trianda isn't too far away; the main shops and bars about 10 minutes walking distance, but if you carry on farther down the road there are more shops and bars.

Definitely would not recommend this hotel, we are in the process of making a complaint and are going to try and get some of our money back!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeckiBraveheart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
Sunday Hotel
#10 of 32 in Ialyssos
Paleos Apartments
Paleos Apartments
#1 of 19 in Ialyssos

Been to Kassandra Family ApartHotel? Share your experiences!