“Great Holiday At Kassandra Appts, will be going back”

Reviewed 4 October 2011

after reading some reviews of the kassandra appts, I was abit weary. I dont know why people have complained to be honest?!
We arrived early hours of the monday morning, the receptionist (very friendly) gave us our keys, showed us where to go, and said that the bar was still open if we wanted a drink.
Our room 222, was lovely and spacious, big balcony, nice size kitchenette that comes with working kettle and fridge. We didnt use the hot plates, but all cutlery is there for you to use.
The towels and sheets are changed daily, which was lovely to come back after being out everyday, to a clean bed and clean towels!
There is a tv, but who wants to watch Tv when you're abroad? You can do that at home!!!
Yes the shower is small, and its not a power shower, but its hot water, and it does the job for when you get up in the morning, or come back from the beach or the pool for the day! Its greece dont expect a massive bathroom!
The supermarket next door was good for basics, water, beers, milk, I'd already bought teabags. But for my of a variety of food etc go to the main strip of shops up the road 10 mins away, all the supermarkets sell cereals etc.
We could have eaten breakfast at the hotel, but 5.50 euros, we stuck with our museli and a ham and cheese roll every morning. The bread over there is far more lovely than what we have back here at home, and only 20 cents for a large roll, bargain!
The 1st night we ate at Sirtaki Grill House Taverna up amoungst the main strip of shops and bars etc. I had swordfish, it was huge, filled half my plate and was only 7.50 euros! It came with salad and few chips, was stuffed! So we thought thats it, we'll come back here again. 2nd night we ate at the Itailian pizza place just opposite, my other halves pizza looked lovely, whilst mine was soggy, probably cause the chef put on about 3 green peppers and covered it with them!!
We then hit upon Posperi. If you walk out of the Kassandra Appts take a right walk up towards the traffic lights. Over the road there is a bar/cafe, walk past that, head on down the road, its dark and you wonder where you are, take the 2nd left opposite Pro Direct a computer shop. Walk down that road, Posperi is next to a car engine shop, it isnt sign posted, only a small sign outside. But the meze in there is just to die for, every night we had 5 diffrent mezes to share and a mythos each. It ranged from between 23 euros to 28 euros. Which for what we got every night was brilient. Its all cooked there and then, so its fresh, they even give you a free chocalate cake, or fruit with greek youghurt as dessert for free at the end of your meal. We liked it that much we took our cases on our last night there, ate, then went to the airport!
I cant comment on The Kassandra food that they had on offer as we never ate there, but beer good and cheap, and always served nuts with your beers!
Used the pool one day, when we got the beach the waves were abit choppy, so we had a pool day, very nice and chilled out, but you can taste the chlorine! Which isnt pleasant, but for a cool down in 35 degree heat it was worth it!
Everyone has said about the cats. Now we have cats here at home. So they dont bother us. The ones at the Kassandra are looked after, they're fed, you can see that they dont scrounge for food, if anything all they're after is abit of affection. Had one of the little ginger ones sat onmy lap on our 2nd night. They mainly all come from the house that is situated at the front of the appartments and next to the supermarket. But we found them no bother.
The beach from the Kassandra, walk out of the main doors and walk left down the dirt road, you'll be able to see some gorgeous villas/apaprtments, some not (the villa that is pastal pink leaves much to be desired!) head on down and there you are at the beach. I would advise buying or taking your own flip flops/trainers for the water, as its a stone/shingle/sand beach. And the walk from your sunbed into the water killed my feet the 1st day. But the water is so warm, and you can float round where its salty. The guys who collect the money for the sunbeds are pretty relaxed and letyou have a swim forst before they get their money from you. 8 Euros for 2 sunbeds for the day. You do get the mad donut man as I called him 'special donuts chocalate carmel mmm' everyday. Also the chinese massage ladies. Now this I did do, but only cause I watched another lady next to me have one done. 20 euros for a back massage, except it wasnt just my back, it was my arms, face and head too, which I thought was worth it!
Now bars near the hotel. Nikos Bar was brillient, run by Niko (as you may have guessed) but unfortunatly is retiring at the end of this season, or so he says! (We think he might give it one more year, he likes it too much!) But 2 euros for a large beer, plus showed some of the footy games too. He also made some mean cocktails!!! For footy lovers such as us, if you walked up the road, past The Catus Taverna, and walk round past The Blue Angel, carry on down and you've got Alkionis Bar, which has got 18 screens and shows every premership game, champions league, and some championship football. Drinks ok, 3 euros each, we didnt try the food, but what other people had looked good!. If you walk down abit further theres kaveliros that serves basic food, drink and has 2 large projector type screens.
Bus stop is just outside the Kassandra so a trip into Rhodes Town is worth it only 2.10 euros each, be warned we went end of season, and they squashed us on like sardines, not pleasant! By the time we got off at Rhodes Town, needed water and sit down! Oh and in Rhodes Town if you get stopped by an Agean Blue Rep with scratchcards, dont do it! I'd apprently won a 'big' prize, a free holiday which isnt so free when you read the small print! They're just rying to flog a sort of timeshare thing at you! If you want that go for it! But its not worth the time and hassle!
So, will we go back, yes, will we stay at the same place, yes, and will we do more next time than this year, yes!

Room Tip: Our room over looked the road next to the hotel, but we had a pool view also, room 222 where we stay...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank domb1977
KassandraHotel, Ιδιοκτήτης at Kassandra Family ApartHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Dear domb1977

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a personal review here on TripAdvisor following your stay at the Kassandra Family ApartHotel.

It is particularly warming to receive an evaluation like yours and to know that our efforts to provide service and hospitality are so much appreciated.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

Holiday did not get of to a great start. Plane was 4 hours late departing.
On arrival was given accommodation in the old block.
I have better furniture in my garage.
It was cramped, dark and very close to the noisy main road.
I told them this was unacceptable and they gave me keys to an apartment in the newer block.
This was much better having a spacious balcony with good views.
Despite being close to the bar area noise was never a problem.
Overall the rooms were pleasant and fairly well equipped. I was not expecting luxury.
Its a good base for seeing the island with bus stops just outside the complex.
The sea, restaurants and bars are just a short pleasand walk down a quiet road.
Weather was excellent and we invested in air-conditioning on a couple of night (7 euros per night).
Also as we had a 2.00am departure we kept the room till we departed (40 euros).
This made the last day much more pleasant.
Flight home was again late. I will avoid Sky Wings in the future.
Overall it was a very enjoyable holiday. The only doubt about returning would be the varying standard of rooms. I could not have stayed a week in the first one we were given.

Room Tip: Block near the road was not very nice. Top of the block overlooking the pool was much better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Gerry55Nuneaton

Dear Gerry55Nuneaton

Reviewed 16 September 2011

Really wish people would not write such terrible comments, you get what you pay for here !!.
All staff WONDERFUL, and George is what the Kassandra is all about.
As said before, room cleaned daily, fresh towels too, beds were so comfortable and the pillows too.
Food in the Apartments was GREAT the two lady chefs are amaizing and work so hard.
Only down side I came across was..... the reception man.!!... Now if anybody from the Kassandra reads these comments PLEASE give him a lesson in "customer service", It costs nothing to smile OR even say good morning, but try as I might I never once got him to smile :(.

All in all a wonderful holiday, so anybody reading these before you go, enjoy the warm sun, the great food, and relaxed surroundings.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank charmaine t
Reviewed 23 August 2011

the appartment was ok ,, just comfortable realy ,,there was no sofa to sit on though, the holiday was great ,, every think was local to the appartment ,, the beach was just 10 min stroll and the main shops were jus a close realy , we were satisfied with the holiday for what we paid ,, but we would definatley not fly with Skywings again ,tasos the barman was the greatest barman we have ever met ,, so friendly and had such a laugh with him ,the food was great and the people were very nice too ,, we had fresh towels every day and room service cleaned our room , it was good all in all really ,, hope to go back one day ,, very nice ,,!!!!!!,

Room Tip: 262 was the best for us ,,
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank colleen w

Dear colleen w

Reviewed 22 August 2011

I was a little apprehenisve after reading other reviews, especially when we were sent up the lift to the older area with a scratched key and taken down the so called dingy corridor to a flimsy door. There was no need. It was great, firat impressioins were the living area was tiny, but who needs it with an enormous balcony! We spent all our time out there not in the apartment. If you want to stay in the room (and to be honest I can't see why anybody would want to with so much to see and do) then this is not for you but for somewhere clean and safe with a conmfortable bed to stay its fine. The pools were great and there were always enough sun loungers. The food was reasonably piced and pretty good, not stunnihng but certainly OK and all freshly cooked, so thats why the wait. I wondered why everything had chips with it, even pasta, but this seemed to be normal in the resort. Yes it is hot but the walk to the beach or to town is really not too far, just remember the hat and some water. The free wifi in the front bar was a real assett and meant the kids could keep on facebook and I couldl look up weather etc. The staff all work really hard. We hired a car to get to Lindos, for a family it was the cheapest and most convenient options. It was very hot and to be honest the acropolis wasn't worth the long hot climb, but it has to be done!. Kamerios was wonderful we got there early evening and it is well worth it as is the bay opposite by the Porto Antica cafe. Check times for monuments, they seem to close at 3 ish except on weekends and the early evening is so much better in the heat.

The check in both ends was terrible, we paid for for seats together going out and a vegetarian meal and got neither. This was made up for by having one of the best caion crews I have ever had.,

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Cultured_family

Dear Cultured_family

Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is the second time I have stayed in these apartments, I have just returned from a week there with my best friend and we had a really good time. The room was basic but very clean and had everything you needed in it, our beds were comfy, with fresh sheets put on the bed everyday.
The bathroom was clean but basic again, it could have done with an updated shower but it didn't make any difference to our holiday.
The kitchen just had a 2 ring hob and a fridge, but for a week you dont need much more. In the main part of our room we did have a very modern tv, with english programmes on there which was nice in the evening while we were eating.
We paid extra for breakfast, which was really nice and good quality food, and although we normally got there towards the end of breakfast the girl there was more than happy to get us anything that had already run out.
The pool was really nice and very clean, and we didnt struggle to get sunbeds whenever we went (and we definitely werent there at 6.30!!!)
The taverna served good food for good prices on the nights we didnt want to cook, its slow service but we were in greece and expected nothing more, nothing over there is rushed!
The on site supermarket stocks everything you need and the staff there were really lovely. The bus stop outside takes you to rhodes, for €2.10, they run every 15mins up to midnight which was excellent.
The only thing we were let down by was the fact the Greek Night was cancelled, we went down to the pool bar to wait and after half an hour we went to reception to ask whether it was on and he said "no we decide week to week" but this had not been written anywhere.
All in all we had a lovely week, very relaxing in a nice apartment.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Megan1991
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I realise that Greece is basic but this is beyond basic. The apartment we stayed in was appalling. It was dark, dingy and dirty. The self catering facilities were pathetic (a kettle, a 2 ring camping hob and a fridge). The apartment only had 4 plug sockets only 2 of which actually worked. Half of the lights didnt work and all but 2 of them were hanging off and there were exposed wires hanging out of all the walls. Our balcony was actually twice the size of the room which does beg the question who the hell designed it. Although the cleaner came everyday she never swept the tile floor or mopped once and by then end of the week the floor was filthy. The sunbed situation was ridiculous as there were only about 40 sunbeds spread between 2 pools for over 120 apartments. The pool at the rear of the complex was disgusting and all you could smell was sewerage and the tiles around the outside were all loose. The staff on reception were very rude and unfriendly and the air-conditioning charge of $49 per week (even though the tariff on the desk said $42) is extortionate for something that doesnt work properly and only cools the kitchen corridor and not the bedrooms where you need it most.

Dont book here if you can avoid it. I would like to say if I had paid budget price then perhaps I would have had lower expectations but this was a far from cheap holiday and I feel really let down.

Room Tip: You will only get the newer apartments if you are scandavian
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Jo P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
Sunday Hotel
#58 of 126 in Rhodes Town
Nathalie Hotel
Nathalie Hotel
#7 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to Kassandra Family ApartHotel? Share your experiences!