Filerimos Village Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sunland Hotel(Ialyssos)
Emerald Hotel(Kremasti)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe busrhodes townmanager georgegreat holidaymini marketbar stafffriendly receptionistbaby poolcleaned dailyper dayfussy eaterevery eveningfamily holidaypebble beachentertainment teamgreececosmin
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2011

+: Nr 1, The receptionist Anastasia- amazing! So much went wrong on our vacation but she really helped us alot! So to the hotelmanager: TAKE CARE OF HER! she knows how to treat your guests!
Nr 2: The pool on the backside, really nice, but I think you should open the poolbar, that should of been nice!

-: Nr.1 : The food. HORRIBLE! Your guests want's to eat greek food, not english ! And you should REALLY spend more money on it , to make it quality-food, because the food was a nightmare.
Nr. 2: The other woman in the reception. Terrible attitude and not willing to help.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2011

1st off let me say that my wife & I aren't the type who expect 5 Star treatment on a budget holiday and, as such, do not have sky-high expectations for our annual holiday.

So, The (All Inclusive), Hotel Filerimos, 20 mins by coach from the airport, less by taxi @ 20 Euros.
The hotel is isolated on the main road beween Ialysoss & Kemasti towns which means if, like us, you enjoy wandering a short distance to a local cafe to sit, have a coffee, something stronger or stroll shops and bars, you will be disappointed. The towns are, though, a 5 minute bus ride away which will cost about 1.36 Euro p.p. each way. There is a mini-supermarket next to the Hotel and they speak very good English in there.
The Hotel covers quite a large area but is easy to navigate.
The hotel and grounds were, overall, kept remarkably clean & tidy as was our room which was basic and cetainly served our purpose though we could have done with a couple of extra sockets.(We actually took a euro extension lead but when I plugged our travel kettle in it blew the kettle and all the fuses. Could have been the kettle or the lead).
Also the shower head could have done with a de-scale but that's being picky.
It came as no surprise that the Air Conditioning was an extra charge, (6 Euros per day).
They do have Safety Deposit boxes behind the reception area, these at 20 Euros per week.
In the main building, where our room was, there were lifts to save my little, old legs.
The girls on reception spoke excellent English & we had no trouble conversing wih them whether it was to explain how I blew the fuses or the best sights to see.
Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner were all taken in the restaurant, at the front of the property, and I'm afraid here, as in so many other Hotels, we were let down. It wasn't that the food was "Boring" though it did get a bit "Samey" after the 1st week, it was that it was rarely hot. The trays were laid out in those cabinets with hot water underneath but this wasn't enough & with no overhead heating the temperature dropped far too rapidly. The food, in general, was quite well cooked but, sadly, some dishes appeared to be just thrown together, and looked it.
The staff in the restaurant whilst not rude or impolite were not the friendly type usually found in holiday restaurants and their dress code was obviously smart casual.
There were 2 bars for the day, the pool bar during the day and the main bar, (In the entetainment area next to reception), duing the evenings.
The pool bar was self service for soft dinks, Coffee & beer which was a good idea but the "Snacks" on hand were either various types of cookie or a type of Pizza. However please note that we didn't ask if there was anything else.(With 3 meals a day I hardly needed anything else, and with no children we didn't check to see what was available for them).
The main bar in the evening was all bartender service, except for the coffee which was self service, and here the bar staff were the polite, friendly people you expect.(Shame you couldn't say the same for some of the guests!!)
There are 2 pools, one right alongside the restaurant, with no sunbeds as there isn't really the room so we figured mainly for those who want to swim. (Each morning at breakfast we would watch the feller cleaning this pool, properly).
The other main pool(s) was located further into the property and covered quite a large area. Needless to say the pool bar was also here. There were, unfortunately, no-where near enough sunbeds to go round and, of course, the early brigade were out putting their towels down even though it was clearly stated that they would be removed if this happened. (They weren't) Having said that, when my wife complained to the guy at the pool that she couldn't get a bed, he wandered off threw 2 towels off & brought us the beds!!
The Beach is about a 10 minute walk away and, like most of the "beaches" on the Northern part of the Island all stones. However, there is a welcome breeze all of the time and the layout for the sunbeds (3 Euros per day per bed), is the best along this stretch of coast.
As for Entertainment, I would have to say that daytime it was "adequate". The Animation team would turn up for the various activities, Table tennis, water polo, aerobics, water aerobics etc. etc. and then seem to disappear, I wasn't aware of any "Guest Contact", apart from one or the other being thrown in the pool every now and then.
As for Evening Entertainment, this was held inside and I can't comment on it as we never saw it as we were at an Hotel further down the road, (Our daughter is an animator there)
One thing I will point out is that if your animator doesn't seem too enthusiastic it is probably because THEY HAVEN'T BEEN PAID. Evidently it is common on the Greek Islands that, unless you animate for a travel company, animators don't get paid until the end of the season!!!!
Finally a few of words of Advice.
1:- If you book a trip make sure to ask what is or isn't included. Quite often, entrance fees to places of interest are not included.
2:- Wear sensible shoes if you are walking anywhere, particularly on a trip. Roads & paths are often uneven stone and the pavements pitted with holes and uneven.
3:- If you burn easily take a hat or small umberella as there is really very little shade outside the Hotel.
I hope this wasn't too long winded & helps in either making a decision or giving an idea of what to expect. If you wish to know more don't hesitate to ask.
Ian

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Chillax045
Reviewed 21 August 2011

very clean, great staff, food choice was a bit ltd but nice, snack bar should be included in all inclusive but isnt. that is the only down side. new manager only be in a month & is making changes so it should be even better. animation team are fab & made our holiday as well as the family we met there didnt want to come home

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2011

This holiday was a total farce from the moment we arrived!!!
We arrived on a Wednesday to find we were not on the arrivals list and the hotel had been over booked. We were given a room but told not to unpack as we would be moved later that day. But in the evening we were told to check back the following morning and do not unpack. This carried on until Friday evening when I said enough was enough and we were going to keep the room and unpack.
The room was large with a nice balcony, table & chairs. It overlooked the car park which seemed a negative but was infact a positive as 2 ladies had their room by some trees with that were inhabitied by the largest flying insects imaginable - whenever they tryed to open their balcony window the insects would go into their rooms so we were grateful to be located where we were. (Air conditioning was an extra 6 euros per night which most people would probably need as it was very hot & clammy in July)
The bedside table had a radio built into it but there was exposed wiring too it and the rooms 2 plug sockets where hanging from the walls.
The kitchen area was a dirty and we did not use it at all. The fridge icebox was broken and hanging in the fridge. The little crockery & cutlery that was there was filthy.
The bath in the bathroom was filthy & mouldy although the sink was clean. The towels, which were changed daily, were a mix of the odd clean one and mostly grubby old grey ones. One day one of the 'clean towels' seemed to have human excrement on it?!! We were lucky as I always take a couple of spare towels to line my suitcase otherwise I don't know what we would have done. But on a good side - other than 'gnats/mosquitos' which are to be expected, there was no evidence of any other sort of insect or vermin in the rooms. (That was a relief as I was half expecting so see something after the experiences around the restaurant?!)
The best part about the hotel was the pools. (Although we were only able to get sun loungers on 3 of our 7 days as they are all gone before 7am. Also quite a few of them are broken at the hinges) The pools were lovely and the landscaping was pretty also. The old gardener spent alot of time trying to keep the lawns maintained. The entertainment staff were lovely and tryed their best to keep the daytime activities enjoyable for everyone. The evening entertainment was ok on the whole but nothing to stay at the hotel for. But the entertainment staff were excellent with the young children and deserve to be recognised for their efforts. The open plan reception/lounge/bar area was also quite nice for relaxing in the evening.

As for the food?!!!!

Firstly before I start on the restaurant review please let me point out that I am half Greek and I adore foreign food, or rather any good food!! So my review is not based on an English person looking for 'normal' food.
The restaurant is large and the staff seemed extremely stressed. You have to search for a clean plate and crockery as there seemed to be food residue on everything.
I have been All Inclusive before and there was always a large & varied selection of foods thoughout the day. But at Filerimos the choice was restricted and virtually every single one was bland to disgusting. It truly tasted like they had used the previous nights dish water to cook with!!! The desert was either watermelon or cake or jelly. (One night someone must have lost the plot as there was actually cake & jelly???) The drinks were for the whole undrinkable - I believe the lager was ok but as with the food I suspect that after a few days of such bad food/drink then your palette becomes immune? The snacks during the day consisted of a cake, 2 types of biscuits and (if you were very quick off the mark) some spinach filo pastry. You could purchase chips, burgers, pizza etc - but as it was supposed to be ALL INCLUSIVE then I thought it was out of order to expect people to pay. Also as the food was so bad I could not imagine paying extra for it? But I was informed that the food was ok if you actually paid for it?!!! We didn't find out as out of principle I refused to spend any money at the hotel whatsoever. We went to a supermarket closer to the beach and bought food & drink to have during the day. As I mentioned earlier I adore foreign food and I can quite happily live of bread, tomatoes & olives when on holiday. But the food availble at meal times did not once give salad & olives at the same time. In fact the only time I saw olives was at breakfast? Also on the 3rd day one lady found something horrible crawling out of the salad tray - the waiter came over and removed the grub but left the salad there for people to eat??!!! There were several cats outside the restaurant every day. We noticed on the 3rd day that they were killing cockroaches in the evening right next to the restaurant entrance?!! So after the 3rd day we survived off pringles and other supermarket bought snacks during the day and went out for dinner in the evening.
About 5 minutes walk from the hotel to the right hand side is a SUPERB Greek Taverna/Pizza shop called JOHN BOYS. I was hesitant in trying it as I didn't want to go to Greece and eat pizza. But the couple are a lovely old Greek couple and they have a small selection of lovely traditional Greek food also. In fact if they have the ingredients available they will actually cook you whatever you fancy even if it is not on their menu. But I must say that they do make the best pizzas I have EVER tasted. I will go back to Rhodes as it is a beautiful island and Rhodes Old Town is wonderful. When I go back I will definately go to John Boys pizza place again. There is also a lovely little Cake/Ice Cream shop about 5 mins walk on the opposite side of the road to the left side of the hotel. It is on the main road next to a EKO petrol station, STRIKE Bowling Club & a BODY Gym. Not sure what shop was called but it is delicious and worth a visit or two.

Incidentally a Taxi from the airport is just 15 euros and the bus to the airport was just 5.5 Euros for 2 adults and 1 child. (We found out the bus prices as the taxis were on strike on our departure day!!! We were worried but the bus was air conditioned and it stopped right outside the airport doors. I would definately get the bus to the airport again next time I go,)

This hotel is most definately NOT a 4* star. I think it is bearly grasping at 3* to be perfectly honest. I would NOT recommended it at all. When you have saved hard for the past couple of years for your holiday you expect better than this. I will NOT go back to the Filerimos hotel as I felt cheated by the food and the fact that we paid for all inclusive and it was anything but. I am just grateful we only went for 1 week !!!

You cannot change money at the hotel which we found out on Friday evening!!! Obviously the banks were then closed and we were not able to change any money then until Monday.

BE WARNED - take LOTS of money as you'll need it for food !!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MadLeighLancs
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Read the reviews after we had booked and went with an open mind. Accommodation was of large size, but standard, but was clean. Pool area was lovely. Managed to get sunbeds every day of the two weeks stay. Snack bar consisted of cake and biscuits, otherwise you had to pay for burgers, sandwiches, pizza, chips etc. MAKE SURE YOU GET TO THE CAKE QUICK THOUGH AS IT OFTEN RUNS OUT AND THE ANSWER YOU GET IS "No more - finished". The breakfast was worth the effort just once during the holiday. It was of very poor standard, with nothing labelled and it resembled a cattle market. Again if you did not get there early you were told "No more - finished". Once the butter run out for the toast that was your lot. What did make us laugh though was the toaster. One four size toaster for the whole hotel - which broke one day. The lunch was the best as you could make do with a salad sandwich. The evening meal was of very poor standard. Again if you like bread and soup fine. Nothing was labelled so you did not know what you was eating. DESSERTS consisted of watermelon at lunch and dinner - no ice cream, you did get occasional jelly or mousse - if you got there early enough before it was "All finished". We opted to eat out at night to get one decent meal a day. You also had to hunt for knifes and forks, salt and pepple etc, so your dinner was always cold when you went to eat it. Everything was so unorganised in the dining room.
The drinks were acceptable - no diet drinks though. The vodka ran out for two days durng our stay and wine in the restaurant for one day. The animation team was EXCELLENT especially Anya, Annie and Bob (who all speak good English). They all made you feel very welcome and went out of your way to try and get you to join in everything. Round the pool everyday (except Weds) was water polo, darts, morning gym, water gym and table tennis. Every evening (except Weds) something was on in the main bar area. Yannis the bar man was extremely friendly and helpful.
Saying all this we did have a very good holiday, mainly down to the people we met (The bunch from Wales, Blackpool, Surrey, Heathrow, Manchester and LIverpool - you know who you are).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family