“Lovely hotel,which, with a little effort ,could be superb” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Electra Palace Rhodes

Electra Palace Rhodes
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Ialyssos
Atherstone, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel,which, with a little effort ,could be superb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Abeautifully appointed hotel, cool and airy, elegant and comfortable without being fussy. I especially loved the huge bowls of white orchids in reception and other public areas. My husband and I opted for a sea view room, which like the public areas was spacious and classically furnished.There was ample storage space and loads of coathangers, which is always a bonus.We had a hostess tray, refreshed daily, and the room fridge had mineral water, soft drinks and nibbles when we arrived but which wasnt topped up again, which is a pity. It is something we have become used to in 5 star hotels.If the choice of food in the buffet restaurant is not as extensive as some, there is still ample to choose from, and always of excellent quality, especially all of the meat and the wonderful fresh fish. Both of the A La Carte restaurants were very attractive and served authentic and delicious Italian and Chinese food respectively and again with a mouthwatering choice.The Electra Palace is set in a lovely location, with the sea to one side, and the pool and gardens the other. There are lots of trees providing shade when the glorious sunshine becomes too much, the gardens are very well tended and the pool area has parasols and lots of loungers.If you are looking for a bucket and spade holiday with children, then this is not the place for you, as it is shingle and pebbles but lovely for sunbathing, because it is narrow and you can easily lie on your lounger with your toes in the sea.As stated before the staff are warm , friendly and kind, and here I must mention the bar staff in the Lobby Bar, and especially the older gentleman, his name I forget, but he told us he has worked at the hotel for 23 years, who was charming.So what are my gripes then? Just tiny niggly things. The fact that although red and white wine are part of the AI package, rose which is the only wine I drink, is not , but can be bought for 26 Euros a bottle, and thats the cheapest. Only 3 cocktails are available to the AI guest, despite the fact that there was a very extensive cocktail menu.The ones available were not the cheapest,so I really dont understand the restriction. I did ask the manager, but didnt get a very satisfactory answer.However , on the plus side, there are several internationally branded spirits available on AI, which is great if that is your tipple.The beach furniture, parasols and loungers are very very shabby and the worse for wear, and do nothing for a 5star image, and some of the clientelle, and those who stayed during the last two weeks of the season will know exactly who I mean, behaved disgracefully and at times abusively. During the time they were there , children were running around the dining room, and the noise level was
incredible.This did rather take the shine off things for us and many others who spoke to us. It wasnt possible to have a quiet drink in the evening anywhere in the hotel during their stay. Thankfully they were only there for a few days.

That aside, from the lady at the Car Hire Desk to the room maids, everyone was pleasant, and I would particularly like to thank Koula, the Dining Room Hostess, for her warm welcome, kindness and helpfulness. She is a credit to the hotel.

Would we go back ? I am sure we would.Just a few tweaks and the Electra Palace would really deserve its 5 stars.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Francophiles750

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is the first time we have been all inclusive and found this really good.The hotel is situated on the beach and the pool area and grounds are well landscaped and kept clean, despite some guests littering . The room was clean especially the bathroom The staff are friendly and helpful, the food variety good especially nice to eat in the Italian restaurant and Chinese corner.
Downside: a fair walk to the main road and buses and foolishly although it is advertised as family hotel we thought there would not be many children there in October - wrong!!!
The Thomas Cook rep was not helpful about local buses presumably wanting us to book her excursions.
All in all a very pleasant experience

Room Tip: We paid extra for a balcony overlooking the sea -which was lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Tilly168
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Electra Palace Hotel gets better and better! Since the first time we stayed at this hotel some 9 years ago we just keep coming back year on year. We have only missed one year! They have recently invested heavily in a new indoor swimming pool, fitness area, sauna etc and to a high quality standard of finish. Well done Electra Palace!

We have made many good friendships here with fellow guests from all over the UK and now even plan future holidays together so that we can meet up at this 1st class hotel.

The hotel makes sure all of your needs are attended to. The staff are extremely friendly, courteous and very hard working. Nothing is too much of a problem. The food is excellent in the self serve restaurant with plenty of choice to satify all tastes and fancies. The Italian and Chinese themed restaurants are waitor/waitress served and an excellent choice of dishes offered. The food in the Chinese especially so! These are very popular with guests and with limited seats available they need to be reserved and restricted to one visit per week.

Wi-Fi is not available free of charge but can be arranged from Reception at a cost. There is some aircraft noise due to the close proximity of Rhodes airport but that just creates added interest and is not an annoyance.

Room Tip: All of the standard room are comfortable and recently refurbished.. However, we would recommend the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gavalviv
Fishkill, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I have been to Greece 4 times now - Mainland, Crete, Kos.. we keep coming back because of how much we love it.
I wanted to like this vacation, I really did. On paper, this resort hotel offers a lot for a very reasonable price. With what I paid in mind, I could potentially overlook the mediocre food and rooms. After all, the selection of food is grand, and the rooms are ok. The mattress was very poor, the room was in need of renovations and the housekeeping staff did a poor job at keeping the room stocked.
But what was inexcusable was the terrible customer service we got, as a direct result of being Israelis. I have been living in the US for 5 years now and have become spoiled with US-grade customer service and business etiquette. So I was hoping to be treated like a human being. Apparently I expected too much. It all started on our arrival there around dinner time, when the reception staff gave us a bit of news - ALL restaurants in the hotel require long pants for dinner (even the buffet!). Please keep in mind this is a Greek beach resort. I did not pack any long pants. After arguing, the restaurant manager agreed to seat our party at the Italian restaurant for that evening as a one-time gesture. When we got to the Italian restaurant our waiter told us that since I was the only one without proper attire for the buffet (!) only I could have dinner at the Italian place without reservations and the rest of us should go to the buffet. In other words, he wanted me to eat alone without my family. You can only imagine what my wife had to say to that idiot, and needless to say we all had our dinner together. I later went to speak with the hotel manager, which only made it clearer that he does not know the first thing about keeping a customer happy.
During our entire stay there became very clear that the staff has been worn down by masses of (granted, obnoxious) Israeli tourists to the point where they totally hate us now and treat us very differently from other nationalities. It was quite disgusting and off-putting, and something I can never forgive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank L_G897
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

The hotel is really very nice, we liked almost everything about it. The food, the pools, the beach, the lounge. the staff is very helpful and very friendly.
you have everything you need ! the hotel is a little bit far from the old city but you can take a bus or taxi.
the WiFi is not free and cost 10 Euro a day !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank 85Danny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

The hotel is really nice, I really liked almost everything about it. The food, the pools, the beach, the launge, the staff - I really enjoyed it all.
The only thing that didn't make it perfect was the beds. There's no double beds, they just join two single beds together and it's not so great for a couple's getaway...
Also the matress is hard as a rock but I still reccomend this hotel because of everything else.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank guylev
wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

A suite by definition is usually a series of rooms and a junior suite has a seperate seating area, which corresponded with the picture on their website,which was a bed and seperate sofa seating aea, so I paid extra for a Junior Sea breeze suite. We arrived late approx 10.30pm were offered no refreshments. I entered a single room, which in no way resembled the website photo?? I contacted reception who told me it was a suite, and I would need to speak to reception next morning. They had left a bottle of "complimentary" wine, but no corkscrew and two apples?? It was blowing a gale and the wind howled all night through the patio doors. The following morning I spoke to the receptionist(Olga) who was very proffesional but offhand, she produced the hotel floor plan with our room highlighted in yellow stating it was a suite which, because it was highlighted in yellow, was somehow supposed to convince me that a room is a suite?? She then produced their brochure to show me pictures and when I showed her the photo shown on the website she said that junior suite was for four people not two!! Didn't state that on their website!!! She said our room was a suite as we had extra's?? A plasma screen t.v. and DVD player and seaview. The tv reception was poor with only two english speaking channels(CNN, worldnews), and she failed to inform us that DVD's were available from reception, also a seaview, which half of the hotel had anyway. Wow £200 extra well spent there then!! She did tutt,(a lot of the staff tutt) then offered us the suite pictured, but none were available at that time and we may have to wait a few days?? Ah!! so she thought we were after a free upgrade?? Insulted by the assumption we declined. I have checked the website today and the junior suite photo has been changed to the room we were given.

Once you get the hang of it, you begin to understand that this hotel is operated entirely for the benefit of the staff!! Stand too long in the dining room trying to choose what to have and you will be asked to move with a tutt and "excuse me" as they rush around you doing their thing!! If you can't find a table set up for two and sit at a table for four, be prepared to be cross examined by a young waiter as to why you did not wait for a table of two to be set up, followed by a lot of tutting and lots of pulling of faces to the other diners at our stupid blunder!! if you want clean beach towels, don't bother going to the pool before 10.30 as stated in the pamphlett. You have to go back to your room and hang about waiting for the chambermaid who will be on your floor about 9.30 to get them changed. Don't ask for an ashtray, as the bar attendant will give you a lecture on smoking and start coughing around you. The other young receptionist (Bogdana) made eye contact and then walked off to chat with another member of staff as i stood at the desk?? Why are some of the staff like this?? Probably because the hotel manager never leaves his glass cubed office to see what is going on. Not once in the ten days we were there did I see any sort of manager wandering around, spot checking, or speaking to guests.

Food...... on the whole cheap!! To be fair they did do some interesting sides to go with the dishes. Canapes, stuffed mushrooms and vol au vents, stuffed cheese potato skins, the potato wedges were really nice,but the meat are cheap cuts. 101 ways to use chicken, veal, pork (which I can't eat) rabbit turkey and meat loaf or fish. Never any lamb or beef, apart from burgers. Only one carvery whilst we were there of turkey. The restaurant is open until 9pm but if you go after 8.30 you will get the dregs. The hot food station shuts down at 8.30. Didn't use the Italian or Chinese as they fail to do plain meat without a sauce or coating for my hubby who dislikes food "Messed about with" we have always been able to get a good plain steak in other hotels we have visited in their speciality restaurants.
In my humble opinion, if they didn't blow the food budget on catering for the gluttons who are served snacks from 3.30 to 4.00pm and then cakes and pastries from 4.30 to 5.30 follwed by sandwiches from 5.30 to 6.30 they would be able to offer a better grade of food.
However the biggest insult was the packed lunch!! We didn't bother checking it before we left for the day trip. Two hours into the trip, opened it for a drink!! NO DRINK!! What kind of 5* hotel sends it's guests out in soaring temperatures without a drink?? The most basic of needs?? Luckily we had got chatting to a few other couples on the trip and they were kind enough to let us have a bottle of their water!! Although suffice to say they were now intrigued as to what was in this packed lunch?? A sandwich of ham and cheese with dry bread, a dried out bun, a peach which was also dried out, and a medium(chinese style take away container) which was packed with shredded cabbage and carrot with a small satchet of mayonnaise to make up our own coleslaw!!! This caused much laughter as the amount of cabbage and carrot compared to the small satchet only a majician could have made it into a coleslaw. The laughter reached a climax when we found the card from the hotel which served as a remider that the packed lunch was instead of our meal at the hotel!!! Half of that coach trip went away that day ready to tell others. Domino effect Electra!! Take note!!!

Drinks...... there was more alcohol in my perfume than in the wine. The cocktails were too sweet and limited on the all inclusive. They only allow two satchets of coffee per day in your room, even though we didn't touch any of the tea satchets etc... so obviouslywe were coffee drinkers. fridge is not replenished no daily bottled water left you have to buy your own or fill up in the pool bar.

Bed sheets only changed if you place a card on your bed requesting a change. Their supposed "eco" policy. Really??? then how do you explain that you do not have re cycling bins for the plastic cups which are put in the ordinary bins. More like cutting costs.
Had good nights sleep as beds firm and pillows soft like at home. Some planes do go over in the early hours.

There is no such thing as budget 5*. This hotel needs to up their ante or stop trying to masquerade as chic.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank summersunshineWales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,365 reviews
Princess Andriana Resort & Spa
Olympic Palace Resort Hotel & Convention Center
Eden Roc Resort Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Electra Palace Rhodes? Share your experiences!