“The good, the bad & and the VERY ugly.....(please read this if you're planning on booking!!)”

Electra Palace Rhodes
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Ialyssos
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I travel a lot and stay in hotels in many places, at home and abroad. Mainly for business and I don't bother making reviews on those, rightly or wrongly. Then There's the 'important' ones, family holidays. We normally try and do a week in the Spring, the main one with a couple of weeks in the Summer holidays and then perhaps another week in October. I have been thinking a lot about how to write this review and have come to the conclusion, the best way would be to just state the facts and events as they happened/as I saw them/as they unfolded (and perhaps a personal comment or 2 as I probably can't help it!) for you the reader to make up your own mind...here goes:

- Lovely looking hotel, clean, nice clean rooms, nice spa, FANTASTIC pool and pool area.
- Pebble beach, not child friendly. North westerly full oshore wind prevailing so rough seas.
- Hotel location/surrounding area is like Beirut, looks like all locals upped and left in the middle of the night...suppose that's what all inclusive hotels do ie kills off local tavernas and shops.
- Have to find your own table in the restaurant. In other words, like us and many others after us, don't stand waiting by the entrance to be shown where to sit, even the 'front of house' will just look at you as if you're mad and not even inform you it is ok to just walk in...eventually we just did what others did and just walked in...
- No wine/drinks waiter, only self service 'pumps'.
- No branded drinks at all, soft or alcohol.
- BOTH RED AND WHITE WINE (out of the pumps!) ARE UNDRINKABLE. 9 out of 10 people we spoke to agreed. The '10th' were from Russia..
- Beer on par with Carling...and that could be a little harsh on Carling..
- Soft drinks usual powder rubbish. Most days the powder to carbonated water ratio was severely in favour of the water.....
- Literally a free for all on both drinks and food. Buffet changes every 2-3 days, at best. We managed to count calves liver 3 out of 5 days one week...
- Favourite (cheapest!) food was chicken. We called it 'chicken abortion' or 'road kill' as it was not your usual carved chicken, but literally a whole chicken chopped up with a cleaver and thrown into a tray, bones, the lot!
- One night there was a dish with the sign above it saying 'salmon in creamy leek sauce'. That caught my attention as as far as I know, salmon is pink, while this fish was white (cod looking and consistency). Mentioning this to the manager in passing the reception desk, he put on a surprised face, said he would get his food and beverage manager so I could speak to him. He duly arrived and I invited him to come and look for himself. He explained it was the same salmon he had sourced for 20 years being the duration of his career there. Regrettably I had to inform him that either he wasn't very good at his job OR his supplier was having a field day and a jolly good laugh at him behind his back. For some reason he was not willing to follow me to the actual buffet so we could discuss the matter further whilst looking at this white salmon, or rather, in front of the other guests...
On that note, I have since done some research and there is indeed a white salmon. It's very rare and caught in Alaska so perhaps I owe the hotel an apology and must instead congratulate them for their extremely good taste and applaud them for bringing in such rare and expensive fish from far away, to,serve in their hotel buffet!?
- Would rate food 3 star. This is not a reflection of the kitchen staff, but the mere quality of what they are given to work with. Guess a bit like asking Picasso to paint the Mona Lisa with a crayon....
- I'm no fussy eater by far, but had the kids meal/food probably 10 out of 14 evenings. Amazing skinny fries, nuggets, hamburgers and omelette to their credit!
- Large parties are under no circumstances allowed to say push 2x4 seater tables together to make room for 8 to eat together. You either have to wait for a large table to become available or split up and dine as 2 parties of 4.
- Waiters looked in fear of their jobs (lives even!) when people took it upon themselves to move tables, and quickly pulled them apart again, telling guests they would have to wait for a large table to become available.
- No waiter service of any kind anywhere in the hotel or by the pool or beach. It is self service on all counts. Hotel staff only clear up.
- Bar staff not very friendly, UNTIL that is you're nice to them and they realise you don't speak Russian....(!)....a LOT of Russian speaking guests in this hotel and unfortunately it looks like all staff have resigned themselves to be barked at hence not very forthcoming with a smile and 'hello'...
- The reservations manager (also dealing with complaints) who I had the pleasure of having a one to one meeting with in his office, informed me the wine was an 'award winning wine' and that his staff were not instructed NOT to interact with guests (we were informed of such by an insider as apparently our friends from the East do not like to interact and/or be approached!!). Was told only 10-15% of guests were from 'The East' hence no such policy was required. Firstly, I'm not quite sure which award this mystery wine out of a bag in an unmarked cardboard box had won, but must be something along the lines of 'award for best wine authorised for public consumption, least likely to kill the consumer', with a footnote of 'doubles up as car fuel if out of petrol whilst stuck on a mountain'. As for the guest ratio, I think his calculator was broken OR he is not aware 'Sergei' and 'Tatiana' are not common Western European Christian names..
- I asked a waiter one evening if he drank this wine and his response was 'this should not be called wine'...enough said....
- No milk is served with teas/coffees. Only the 'cream' in the small plastic tubs with foil lids (that you get in a Holiday or Premier Inn!). Asking the bar staff for milk out of a cow instead, they tell you it's now called a cappuccino and you have to pay for it!!
- We celebrated my mother in law's birthday one evening by going to the 'a la carte' Italian restaurant. Bit of a flattering description as there's only a very few variations of pizza and pasta to order from. Your average beach bar will offer same. None of the main courses (pizzas/pasta) came with any salads or garnish. They had some salads as the starter options and asking if it was therefore possible to order a couple of salads to go around to come out together with the main courses we were told, yes you guessed it, 'no'....end of.....
- short drinks (gin, rum etc) all un branded and awful as well.
- Terrible beds. Follow the advice of most reviews and request mattress toppers on your day of arrival.
- Late check out (6hours longer) Euro80......
- Great animation team under the competent leadership of Marco with special thanks to Sue for looking after our boy so well in the kids club.
- The little street within walking distance mentioned in other reviews past 'Patty's' with 'tavernas and shops' is a bit over rated in my opinion. It is a small road flanked by 2 to 3 star hotels and self catering apartments and therefore caters for such.....enough said, again...
- Due to my various 'minor' complaints, we found a bottle of wine in our room one afternoon 'with compliments of Electra Palace'. What surprised me the most was the actual glass bottle. I thought it only came in bags and cardboard boxes.. We saved the wine for our last night's dinner, but was stopped at the door by Eva Braun saying we could not drink it in the restaurant, despite showing it had the 'with compliments' sticker on it! We were only allowed to drink it in our room, nowhere else! I assume this was done with the safety of the hotel guests in mind. Had other guests seen us with a bottle of wine, I fear it could have caused a stampede to our table to get a taste by all guests, possibly resulting in fatalities. Anyway, feeling rebellious I asked one of the waiters we by now had become friendly with at the back of the restaurant if he could open it and he did......unfortunately so I should add, as it was just as undrinkable as the wine out of the pumps! Talk about adding salt to injury, BUT guess it's the thought that counts....unless, come to think of it, the manager and his food and beverage manager wanted the last laugh and/or kill us off in order to prevent us from making this review....!?

Summary: A great looking very clean hotel, pool and even beach (for tanning), but the quality of food and drink makes this a definite no go zone for anybody who is used to just a little bit of 'quality'. I feel desperately sorry for the staff as really they are all just doing their jobs, but under instructions that are so ridiculous that they alienate most guests and policies the likes of which were last seen during 1939-45 on the 'other side' of the French Channel (this review being written in England!). I'm actually rather angry with the management of this hotel as I would love to come back, believe it or not, due to the great pool area and general facilities, but the fact that the food and beverages are so average (I'm being VERY kind here!) it's not going to happen unfortunately...

If you have booked it already, make the most of the pool and facilities and take the rest as an experience. If you are considering booking, don't.............

PS. For branded drinks and good service, walk across the road to the Rainbow Bar. The last standing taverna outside this hotel, incl free wi-fi. Ask and they will even put on FIFA for any youngsters to play!

Room Tip: Stay at home, but if you're going, chose sea view as they are quieter ie away from the evening e...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
18 Thank Glenn L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Essex
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Hotel itself and facilities lovely....cannot fault the pool area, rooms or spa. However there are several major let downs to spending the thousand of pounds we did to stay there. I will bullet point them to make it easier

* Beds hard ... really hard but they can give you a mattress topper if you ask. It helps but doesn't solve the issue of the pillows.
* Pool area fab, lots of sunbeds and space. Good temperature and lots of shade.
* Animation team, Marco, Sue, Elena and the others really good at engaging people and arranging activities/shows. Sue was a star with our little boy who wasn't keen at kids club at first but ended up being so happy to join in! They are not pushy but encourage people to take part.
* Lounge bar areas comfortable

NOW the less than great bits.
* There is NO service anywhere in this hotel. You help yourself to everything which for a 4 star plus / 5 star is not acceptable.
* The "canteen" is just that....lukewarm food repetitive but not weekly as you might think but often daily! Quality of food was shocking for the type of hotel. One night it was advertised as salmon but was white! Cheap fish disguised by sauce. food and beverage manager said he didn't realise as he buys it as salmon!!
* One booking two rooms but were put at opposite ends of a long corridor.....no intention to move them for us. (I had emailed to request that they be together months before we arrived)
* Our room faced the stage area so our room was filled with the music/entertainment until at least midnight and I mean filled like we had music on in our room. Little boy often didn't settle well. Favourite night was the rock band....like sleeping on a drum kit!!
* Not one drink is branded and the soft drinks are a poor imitation of the real thing....wine came from a pump (self service) white and red and was disgusting..even trying to add cheap lemonade didn't help! Beer from a pump not bad. Milk available for tea and coffee at breakfast however it was extra cost the rest of the day. Small sachets of a cream like liquid during the day which were awful in tea and no good for our little boys night time drink! But absolutely no milk allowed on all inclusive ... they claimed a coffee with milk is cappuccino and therefore 4.5 euros! My husband discussed this wine etc with the reservations manager during an hour long meeting but was told that the wine was "award winning" however the boxes of wine used for the pumps had no name on let alone an accreditation mark!
* The pool bar closes at 4pm sharp and the next closest bar does not open until 4:30 by which time a nice queue has built up.
* WIFI is not free as one brochure indicated...its chargeable and works mainly in reception. The Rainbow taverna opposite has free wifi and branded drinks !!
* The hotel is not located near much, infact right out side the hotel and for about a 10 minute walk it is totally desolate, closed down supermarkets and bars. Looks like a scene from a war torn country!! No lights at night for walking and coaches/taxis come quickly around the corners. There is the Rainbow taverna and two small supermarkets still open just outside the hotel. the left hand supermarket was the most friendly.
* This hotel has a large Russian clientele infact the first week it was probably a 70/30 split with Europeans. We found majority rude, pushing us out of their way in the canteen and public areas.
* Canteen has 3 large tables 8-10 people and a couple of 6 people, the rest are 4 or 2. They point blank refuse to allow any tables to be moved so a party of 8 who tried to move two tables together were told to move them back and sit separately as the larger tables were taken!! As they discussed with the waiter he was already moving the tables from under their nose!!
* We were given a bottle of wine as goodwill for issues raised, we tried to take it to the canteen on our last night but were told that the only place it could be consumed was in our bedroom!! We had no corkscrew and the hotel is all inclusive so made no difference??!! We got it opened and it was awful anyway!!
* Car hire is cheaper with Rodos cars who sit in the foyer...nice lady and good quality vehicle.
* Spa is fantastic and prices are really good..the animation lady has 5 euro discount vouchers if you ask.

Overall for the money we paid (around 9K for 6 of us) for two weeks the quality of food, drink and service was so inferior. Our travel rep was amazing but from speaking to other reps this poor standard is quite normal in Rhodes and Thomas cook has Rhodes in the bottom 3 destinations in terms of customer feedback !!
The Management of this hotel are not interested in your experience as a customer...their rules prove that. Not a scrap of what the customer wants. I don't really understand neither does my husband or parents how people can say the food etc is good......we travel twice a year to different locations and have never experienced the desire to go home after the first week. That said the weather was lovely...almost too hot so if you want a week in the sun in a nice building and are not bothered what you eat or drink and are offered a cheap deal then it might work for you. 4 of us had upset stomachs on holiday and we lived on iced water, crap food and melon for afters as the desserts were barely refilled, never labelled and never inspiring. We spoke to many nationalities who were not at all happy, Danish, French, Dutch, English....even saw some Russians complaining but not sure about what!! Maybe that other guests wanted to sit on sunbeds they wanted lol.
We were reliably informed that staff are told not to interact with guests..however we noted that if we spoke to staff they were friendly. This instruction is based on the Russian guests not liking interaction from staff!!
We are currently in the process of a complaint to Thomas cook with some pictures we took. The island is so bad and depressing generally, that 3 reps left during our two weeks holiday......our rep left the same night as us and we all looked so very happy at the airport!!!!! Do not book if you want a 5 star experience....we rate this mostly due to facilities as 3 star plus.
Oh and if you do go one more tip is that the aircon works best on the lowest setting like it has been wired wrong ....I have seen people review that the aircon doesn't work but we found putting on lowest made it better!

Room Tip: beach view as others face the entertainment and you will get no sleep!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Lady35
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 7 August 2014

First time in "all inclusive" - and was 4 out of 5 stars.

Good rooms: 2 bed rooms for family areas was spot on - and quite a good standard. Great pool and grounds. Italian restaurant is very good - Anastasia is fantastic!! Buffet is OK - but could do with some more fresh fruit.

Everyone was very friendly and helpful...the cleaners were very friendly!

Pool and activities were really good and you could let your children enjoy, jump around and have fun in the pool as much as they want.

Beach was pebble/stone with some sandy bits - was very windy - if you want calm water head to the other side of the island.

If you want a break from the "all inclusive" the restaurant across the road on the beach front is excellent! And a great place to watch the fantastic sunset (which you won't get on the other side).

The resort is close to the airport and does get air traffic in-bound - but this wasn't a big deal.

The Wi-Fi was a bit poor for the cost (€40 or so for the week).

Room Tip: As for room away from evening entertainment and with full sea view. Separate building was good for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Tartu County, Estonia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It claims to be a 5 star hotel but I would give it a 4. Everything You need is there, but it is not overall luxurious. Some of the staff is a bit unfriendly but You´ll forget it thanks to the other half. Rooms are clean, food is fine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TripsByAna
Doncaster, England
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Currently on our last full day here. Weather is great with a fantastic breeze to keep you cool. Great choice of food for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Quality pool with plenty of sunbeds which even when hotel is full you can still get them up until about 9am. Staff are very helpful and pleasent. Cleaning staff are amazing and hotel is spotless everywhere. Only 2 things I can pick fault with are the pebbles all over the beach making it hard to enter the sea. Also a ridiculous rule making all men where long trousers when quite clearly a sensible no beach wear for dinner rule should be applied. Apart from the we have loved our stay. Ps Night entertainment is very very poor!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mark R
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here for a week room was great, food was very good and lots of it, it's right on the beach, pool was beautiful. Also we were on the ultra inclusive deal which gave us access to the chinese and Italian restaurant which were excelent. On the minus side we found the bed very hard, we were waking up feeling numb, we complained at reception and a memory foam mattress topper was immediately put on our bed, it solved everything and made the bed extremely comfortable so don't be afraid to ask. Very clean and well maintained every where, especialy outside areas.

Room Tip: Ask for pool or sea view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jaz1959
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My elderly mum, my 6 year old daughter and myself stayed at the Electra Palace for a week all inclusive last week. We had a family suite on the 2nd floor with a view to the immaculately kept gardens at the side of the hotel.

Starting with our room: it was very spacious and kept very very clean. The lady that came in each day tidied our things up and obviously took great care in her work as the attention to detail was excellent. Yes, the beds did feel a bit hard but after the first night you adapt and I slept excellently all week, as did my daughter and mum. We had numerous comfy pillows, blankets if we needed them and crisp white sheeting. The air conditioning was good, the shower powerful, lovely balcony and even two televisions, one with an accompanying DVD player! The mini bar was stocked on arrival and although it was not replenished, it had plenty to keep us going for the week. My only comment would be if they could restock it with water during your stay.

The main restaurant was buffet style with a good variety of dishes and excellent quality of food. Salad, local dishes, plain pasta, beautiful fresh bread, with a special each night. We had gorgeous roast turkey one night and amazing fresh mussel another. Breakfast specials included pancakes one day and French toast another. The bacon and sausages are very tasty but not like the English versions, so if your expectation is of a full British fry up every day then you will be disappointed. But this has been my experience in all foreign hotels.

The Italian served excellent pizza and pasta dishes, with a delicious chicken dish on the evening menu and the Chinese had a limited menu but all items we had were delicious.
The afternoon cakes and the desserts were delicious, and ice cream was available pretty much all day.

Drinks were typical all inclusive local spirits and wine, very much as I expected. Drinkable but clearly not your Absolut or Bombay Sapphire, although you are able to buy premium spirits if you so wish. The wine is average and there is only red and white available, if you would like rose you have to buy a bottle which starts at €24. This is something I would change as rose is such a popular drink on holiday and I do feel it should be included.

The pool was a lovely temperature and kept very clean, I couldn't get my daughter out of it! We did not see a cloud in the sky all week and because of the strong breeze it kept it cool enough to be in the sun all day. It was busy so there wasn't an abundance of sun loungers but we still managed to find a couple coming out to the pool about 11am, you just might have to go looking for them and move them to where you want. The pool is noisier than the beach side of the hotel as the animation team play music and encourage people to get involved in activities in the morning and afternoon. The beach is gorgeous, although only stones so make sure you pack some beach shoes. The sea was clear and a lovely temperature but with strong currents and quite choppy so not ideal for little ones.

The spa is gorgeous - only for over 16 year olds tho. Very modern with a beautiful indoor pool. I had a fish pedicure and reflexology on the outdoor beds which was bliss. Excellent value for money for the treatments.

The animation team were so lovely, always working really hard, especially in the nightly shows they put on. The girl who choreographs their routines has real talent and although the man in charge of the team is slightly older than you may expect my daughter and the other kids though he was great. They even put on a Lion King show and got the kids involved in it with face paints and costumes. They get A for effort but I do feel that it was a bit overkill on the shoes they did and perhaps it would be better if on one or two nights they just did a disco for the adults as well as the kids. Each night they did a mini disco for the kids and again my daughter loved this part of the holiday.

The lady who owns the shop by the pool is so so lovely. Very traditional greek, kind, generous and warm lady. They have a great selection of gifts and holiday bits and bobs and I found them to be much cheaper than the shops outside the hotel.

I also bought some lovely jewellery from the shop in the reception which was excellent value for money and also had amazing staff.

Melissa on reception was always very helpful and full of smiles, as where all the staff, all lovely people.

All in all I cannot really fault the holiday, there a few improvements the hotel could make but nothing that spoilt our holiday. I wouldn't say it was a typical four star resort, more like a very good three star. But I have stayed in amazing 4/5 star hotels around the world and I can honestly say the staff at this hotel matched the quality of any others I have met at those higher rated hotels. A very nice hotel that I would thoroughly recommend.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Mia W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
Atrium Platinum Hotel
#11 of 126 in Rhodes Town
Elysium Resort & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
#1 of 20 in Kallithea

Been to Electra Palace Rhodes? Share your experiences!