“Great Hotel, Great Holiday”

Ialyssos Bay Hotel Suneo Club
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Ialyssos
Birmingham
“Great Hotel, Great Holiday”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Ialyssos Bay Hotel 7th - 12th August 2012.  We have had a great holiday and would have had no hesitation in recommending this to others.  For the people who have written less than positive reviews for this hotel I can only say that they are very picky and obviously did not do their research before booking.

The food is great, always labelled and if you are not sure all you need to do is ask the chef and he will answer any questions and even cook you something as an alternative if you really don't like what you see.  However the food was always hot with plenty of choice and some superb Greek dishes. My husband is quite a fussy eater and he always found something that he liked. There was always a couple of meat dishes, a pasta dish, a fish choice and plenty on offer for vegetarians as well .Julia & Sophia who greet you each mealtime are so friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was very good as well, with toast, cereals, meats & cheeses, breads & pastries. Additionally there was always two different sorts of egg dish and either sausages or bacon & baked beans as well.

If you come on holiday to eat English type junk food then this is not the place for you, however you will miss out on some lovely dishes and the whole reason for coming to a Greek Island is that you experience Greece and what it has to offer.  As for the comments about no carved fruit or veg on displays I have to say that is true, but this hotel is billed as 3 * plus and what is important is the fact that the food was wonderful.

Our room was in the main hotel and was kept spotlessly clean. Clean towels every day and our bed linen was changed twice in a week. The room was large and had a spacious balcony, I do agree that one more English channel would have been nice as there is only BBC NEWS 24. However, I don't go on holiday to watch TV. The safe in the room was large enough to take my IPAD and all our other valuables and money. It cost 20 euros for the week plus a refundable 20 euros, the safe is key operated and not the sort that you have to programme with a code.

My request to the reception staff for an extra pillow each was granted within minutes, the beds were comfortable and it was a twin room but the beds were pushed together so effectively this made a king size bed. Air conditioning in he room was really good and unlike some areas of Greece there was no additional charge for this.

The bathroom had been refurbished and the shower was really powerful, my husband also enjoyed having a bath as well.

The general areas of the hotel were also immaculately clean, the pool area was hosed down each morning and we had no problems in getting a sunbed with a mattress, we did not find an issue with 'reserved' sunbeds at all and there were plenty of umberellas for shade as well at some lovely shaded areas within the gardens slightly away from the pool. Some people have commented that he pool was too small and that it was always occupied with organised games, this is not true,the pool is plenty large enough and there was only 3 times a day that it was taken over by organised events, this was water polo, water volleyball and some aquacise. There was ample  opportunity for those  that wanted to swim or just cool down.

The snack bar served a full range of drinks and a variety of Snacks was available throughout the day, these were served buffet style and were plentiful.

Some other reviewers have commented about the aeroplanes passing overhead, yes this is true, no it does not spoil your enjoyment of the holiday and cannot be heard when in your room and it did not disturb our sleep at all. In fact it could be a positive for people who like aircraft spotting! The reviews on here and other sites made it clear that aeroplanes would be passing overhead, so if people still choose to come here then they should not really complain.

Now to the animation team, they are a friendly bunch alright but they don't overly pester you to take part, if you are relaxing and asleep on your sunbed they don't disturb you and if you do say no they leave you alone but have a bit of banter with you.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but they have a jolly good try. Entertainment in the evening is funny and put on by the animation team, there are no visiting acts at all and it might have been nice for them to put on a 'Greek' evening.

The queues at the bar were not too bad at all and the very helpful Vasilis manages them well, all inclusive drinks were last orders at 1045, this is a little early but you then had the choice of buying them at the hotel or walking to Pattys bar which was literally  2 minutes away. As others have said Pattys is a nice place to go and sit overlooking he beach. The drinks prices are ok and the  comfy sofas and chairs a great for a relax.  Pattys has free wifi just ask your waiter for a code.  The wifi at the Hotel is chargeable at 5 euros for 90 mins or 10 euros for 200 mins.  Not a bad price and it worked all over the hotel including the pool area and our room and balcony.

We must give a special mention to Nikolas who runs the car hire franchise in reception . His company is called Eurostar and he has much better rates than the tour operator, the more days you hire the cheaper the daily rate is.  The car we hired was a little Kia Picanto and it was clean with great air conditioning. We drove all round he island to various places and had no issues at all. Nikolas gives great advice of where to go and where to park in Rhodes Old Town. His rates were inclusive of unlimited mileage and there was no excess in the event of an accident.

All  in All I think the hotel does deserve the ratings it gets on here, please remember that it is billed as 3 * plus, not 5 star although certainly the customer service elements of the hotel deserve to be classed as 5 * in my opinion.

3 Thank BirminghamKatie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Exeter
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed at the Ialyssos Bay Hotel between the 5th and 12th September 2012, just as the holiday season was beginning to quieten down.

Accommodation:

On arrival at 1am we were told that the hotel had overbooked and we would be placed in a temporary room, with the option of moving into our booked room at 8am the following day or moving into an upgraded room at 1pm, both with the offer of free wifi, free pool towel hire and a free safe for the duration of our stay. We went for the upgrade (as all of the next morning was spent by the pool anyway) and received a large room in a two storey block away from the main complex. Both rooms were spotlessly clean, although the temporary room was quite dark. Air-con was adjustable, so our rooms were always comfortable. After our situation on arrival, we were allowed to use another temporary room after checking out at noon on our last day to shower and store our luggage until our departure in the evening (Other guests were also allowed to make free brief use of these temporary rooms after checking out to shower but not to store luggage)

Pool area/beach:

The pool was a reasonable size, and the depth ranged from 0.8 m to 2.5 m, with a small pool to the side for kids. The pool bar was open from 10am until 6pm each day, and I never had to queue for more than 2 minutes to get a drink. Snacks were also served during the morning and afternoon. There were easily enough sunbeds for the number of guests staying at the time, and there were no problems with people reserving sunbeds with towels. The beach was situated very close to the hotel complex, and the water was very clear although there were pebbles rather than sand.

Food/Drink:

Breakfast was served from 7am until 9:30am, and offered the usual selection of a continental breakfast, rather than the "American style" advertised. Lunch was served from noon until 2:30pm and dinner from 7pm until 9:30pm. The food was of a good quality, with different foods served each day. Although the dining room was very clean and smart, it perhaps lacked character (in past hotels we have stayed in there had been food cooked on the spot and the buffet area was decorated with food/ice sculptures). The drinks were of a good variety; the all-inclusive spirits, as usual, were locally sourced but tasted fine. The cola didn't taste great however.

Entertainment:

The hotel's entertaintment activities begun at 10am and included water polo, aqua-gym, mini golf, darts, etc, with a break from noon until 3pm. When the pool events were on there was plenty of room left in the pool for people to swim. The entertainment team were very friendly, and were very good at learning guest's names. On past holidays we have had very little interaction with the hotels entertainment and preferred to relax and spend our days quietly. However it was very difficult to not want to join in around the pool and during the evenings. Tomas, Kristyna, Desmond and Karolina were very sociable with guests, even after the evening entertainment had finished. We especially spent a lot of time talking to Kristyna and Desmond, they were both great fun!

Location/Climate:

The hotel was very close to the beach, and had good connections to Rhodes Town, and a short transfer (20 minutes) from the airport. The shops and bars of Ialyssos were only a five minute walk away, although noise was never a problem. The hotel was directly underneath the flight path into Rhodes airport, the noise of the planes wasn't really a problem though, would be worse to the west of the airport after planes are taking off. The weather in early September was 30 degrees during the day, with a nice light breeze. Night was low 20s.

We also did a day trip to Lindos by boat from Rhodes Town. Lindos was beautiful but nearly three hours there and back was quite a long time with no way to cool down. We might recommend going by coach, as it would take much less time

Overall we had a great holiday, the staff (especially the receptionists and Julie and Sophia at the restaurant) were very friendly and made you feel really welcome. The staff's English was very good. We would recommend this friendly hotel.

2 Thank Chris D
willenhall
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We had a week at the hotel from 25/8 til 1/9/12. We were in a garden type bungalow room away from the main hotel, which was ok. We were on the first floor which was again ok. My husband and i were looking forward to a dip in the pool and a bed in the sunshine. We couldnt even get near the pool due to the amount of activities that were going on! The animation team worked up a sweat every day keeping the children happy but maybe didnt give a thought to the people who travelled without kids. We have children and grand children and i work with them all week so i love to see them enjoying themselves but it would have been nice to have had maybe even an hour where people could just swim!
We used the beach instead. This was dissapointing as there was hardly any sand but instead giant pebbles. Buy some water shoes its the same in the sea. Although it was lovely and warm.
Speaking of children, the food was not really child freindly. Lots for adults to eat but not a lot to keep children well fed. We saw a few children upsey as there was nothing they liked to eat. We found a lovely taverna called Stefanos. Turn right at the end of path by the beach. Gorgeous food and lovely staff. Best Gyros Pittas we have eaten ever!! Pattys bar, turn left at end of paath, serves the coldest Mythos and the views from there are lovely.
All in all we enjoyed our week away but would not return during school holidays again,
Julia and Sophia in the restaurant earn every penny!! Lovely ladies who will help you if you have a problem with anything.

Room Tip: 541 garden view bungalow. quiet, away from main hotel. less noise than main hotel rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ljb60
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I have never written a review before, but I used Tripadvisor extensively before I booked this holiday, so I wanted to add my own, especially as I do not feel the hotel deserves the ratings it has been given by others on here. There are a number of aspects which disappointed me during our stay, and I wanted to point them out to help others in their choice.

Firstly, we arrived at the hotel at around 10pm, and had therefore missed the evening meal. When I have stayed at all-inclusive hotels in the past, there has been a cold buffet laid out for those arriving late (I would not expect to receive hot food late at night). This was not the case, but we were told that our all-inclusive wristbands would not be cut off at midday on our last day, so that we could have an evening meal then instead. We soon found out that we would be collected by the coach on our last day at 6.15pm; fifteen minutes before the restaurant opened for dinner. We therefore missed out on one of the seven evening meals we had effectively paid for.

With regards to the food, it is poor at best. I have stayed at many all-inclusive hotels in the past (having holidayed at a different one every year with my family), so I am well used to the different food you are served around Europe. The food at Ialyssos Bay was by far the worst I have seen, and the restaurant reminded me of a school canteen, with little or no atmosphere. In other all-inclusive hotels, you are treated to chefs carving meat in front of you, decorations made from fruit, etc - just little things, but they do make a difference to your stay. Ialyssos Bay does not offer anything like this, and the buffet consists of two small stations with poorly labelled meats and fish. The breakfast is advertised as 'American Style', but I cannot agree with this. The buffet is purely Continental. To me, an American breakfast would consist of pancakes, bagels and bacon. Instead, you have the usual cold ham and cheese, cereals, breads and yoghurts. The breakfast was acceptable, but I think calling it 'American Style' was a bit of a stretch of the imagination.

The next point to make is no fault of the hotel, but I feel that it should have been pointed out by the tour operator. The hotel is directly under the flight path, and a great deal of aeroplanes fly overhead all day and through the majority of the night. You do get used to it during the day, but they continued to wake me up at night throughout the week. Our room shook with the noise of the planes (this could have been because we were in one of the bungalows outside rather than in the main hotel block). There is also a drain / sewage pipe running close to the hotel, and you have to walk through the smell to get to the town. The stench also wafts across the pool throughout the day, and it really is disgusting.

The Animation team have received a great deal of praise. The negative side to the activities they provide is that there is absolutely no escaping them. They blast loud music from speakers by the pool, and the majority of the pool is taken over by aqua-gym and water polo a few times every day. Every hotel has these entertainment teams (personally they aren't my cup of tea, because I want to relax on holiday and not be interrupted while I am reading / snoozing and be so-called 'tempted' into doing activities), but usually they are slightly more discrete than I found them to be at Ialyssos Bay. As I said, I know many people do enjoy taking part in games and sports, but I think they need to be aware that there are also many people who are there to relax.

The bar in the evenings is far too small for the hotel. People were queuing all round the bar and out the door to get their all-inclusive (fairly horrible) drinks.

The last negative point to make is to do with the courtesy room provided on our last day. I asked on three occasions prior to our last day if we could book to use a courtesy room to shower (as we left in the early evening and had been at the pool all day), and was told each time that there was no need to book and that we could pick up the key whenever we needed to. We went out for a late lunch on the last day, because we knew we wouldn't get an evening meal, and returned to the hotel at 4pm to use the courtesy room. We were then told that the room was occupied, and that there was another guest waiting to use it before us. This meant that we had to wait over 45 minutes to use the room, which just made me even more nervous and jittery than you normally are when waiting for the coach to pick you up (everyone knows that 'waiting room' feeling!). When we finally got to the room, it was down in the 'dungeons', as some other guests called it. The room looked like a 1960s dormitory, with dirty beds and floors, a shower hanging off the wall, and a blocked sink. The bathroom also had no towels in it. When my boyfriend went to request some from the receptionist, she refused to give him any. I then got *quite* cross, and kicked up a fuss (I have no idea how they expected us to change and shower with no towels!?), and she eventually gave in and passed me some beach towels, under the strict promise that I would give them back....why she thought I would want to take wet scratchy beach towels home is beyond me!

The negative points over, there are also some positives. We did have a lovely holiday, although I daresay it was more to do what we made of it than the hotel itself. The rooms were clean and were changed every day (although I do not think this is something to shout about; surely this should be done anyway?). We hired a car for the day from the nice man by reception, who charged us just €35 (a LOT less than Thomson were offering). We drove to Kolimbia, Tsambikia and Lindos, and they were all beautiful - I thoroughly recommend visiting each of them. We also took the bus to Rhodes Town, which is fascinating, and it was very easy to get there and back.

Overall, the hotel is acceptable. It does not come anywhere close to the 15+ other all-inclusive hotels I have stayed at in the past, and I would certainly not give it anywhere near 4 or 5 stars. It provides a decent base to visit other places from, but because of the reasons outlined above, I would not consider returning.

2 Thank stargirl1987
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Like many other revews ,we can only praise the hotel staff ,they were incredibly helpfull and friendly,we arrived in the early hours of a Sunday morning and although despite having booked two rooms had to share one room as hotel was overbooked,this problem was sorted out next morning to our satisfaction .As we were independent travellers the hotel staff helped arrange trips for us ,which proved a lot cheaper than what most of the tour companies were charging.
Rooms were clean and cleaned daily food was good and of an international variety reflecting that the hotel has guests from a wde range of country's.My wife a diabetic was easily accomadated within the food selection offered.All in all Iwould have no hesitation in recommending it !

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We just got back from a one week stay at the lalyssos Bay and we had a lovely time. We normally stay at 5 star hotels, so we were a bit wary about this hotel, but all the staff are extremely helpful and polite. We had been given an upgrade to a bungalow room which was fab as it was a lovely room with a large balcony.

The rooms were spacious, extremely clean and comfortable. Could do with another english channel on the tv though, even a music channel to listen to whilst getting ready would be nice instead of bbc news every night lol. The food was good, fresh and plentiful. Im a very plain and picky eater so im very fussy but usually found something i could eat. The complex was big enough, a small downfall was that every morning the beds at the pool were usually covered in guest's towels, with no people there, until late in the morning... which is annoying, the pool was a bit on the small side, especially during water activities.

There was a lovely beach with a great sea breeze which was less than a 5min walk down small lane. If you want to go into the sea then "Sea Shoes" are a must!! as the beach is extremely pebbly and the waves are very strong and the stones would hurt your feet otherwise, but the shoes are available to buy in the shop in the hotel for about 6-7 euros a pair.

The hotel is near the airport and so there are low flying planes frequently but they pass in 30 seconds. The beds on the beach are chargeable they cost 4 euros each pr day.

The only thing that i found a bit of a pain was that on the beach there is a lovely bar/restaurant called "Pattys" which i highly recommended as its lovely during the day and at night. A thing i found a bit annoying was whilst on the beach i realised there was a bar but its not owned by the hotel and so therefore if you wanted a drink whilst on the beach you either had to pay in "Pattys" or get dressed walk up to the hotel, stand in a long que for a drink from the hotel bar, then walk back down to the beach if you wanted a drink from the all inclusive package and in the hot sun no one really wants to do that and i just thought it would have been nice if there had been a beach bar there that the hotel owned.

There is a small train leaves from outside pattys several times pr day, which was well worth a trip on as it takes you round the town and costs about 4 euros. We also did a vip boat trip around the island, which was really nice and relaxing, and would strongly recommend it. The old town is lovely and well worth a visit, a taxi costs about 12-15 euros into rhodes town from the hotel. The nightly entertainment wasnt our cup of tea however some people might like it, but we went out into Ixia or Rhodes town most nights.

The entertainment team were friendly and pleasant and didn't pester the guests. We also hired a convertible car and drove round the whole island stopping at a view places which was lovely especially prasonisi which was nice. One night i had a bit or heat stroke from boat trip and Sophia kindly arranged for the chef to make me up a pizza so i could have it in the room which was a lovely gesture and much appreciated.

Overall we had a wonderful stay at this hotel, with lovely helpful staff and would recommend it to anyone wanting to go to Trianda. " Flowerbomb lady" xxx

Room Tip: the bungalow rooms are highly recommended as they have a really large bed and a large terrace or bal...
Lincoln
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Just returned from a week at Lalyssos Bay with my wife and family (son 17 daughter 19) I can only mirror all of the good points that everybody lists about the hotel. The staff all work so hard and are so friendly especially the animation team who are all amazing! Rooms (we had a sea veiw) are very clean, towels are changed every day and bedding every 2/3 days and the air com is the best we've ever had. The restaurant is air conditioned making meal times a very pleasant experience and the food is fantastic and anyone who says they cannot find something to their liking is just finicky! One night we were a little late for our evening meal and the fried fish had run out, my daughter asked the chef if there was any more fish, he said there wasn't any fried but he would grill her some, which he did and brought to our table. A good selection of drinks is available and the coffee is the best as I have ever had from a machine. The pool is not huge but big enough for the hotel and we never failed to get 4 sunbeds next to each other. As the brochure says the beach (which is stoney) is 50m from the hotel and sunbeds can be hired, there is always a very pleasant sea breeze. The town with taverna's and plenty of touristy shops is a very short walk away. We took a ride in the local train which picks up in front of the hotel every hour, and tours around the town and surrounding area, well worth doing at the beginning of your holiday to see what the town has to offer. Entertainment finishes about 10.30 and was very varied and enjoyable. The hotel does not have a disco but Desmond (one of the animation team) takes anyone who wants to go to a club in the town about 15 minutes walk away. Rhodes is about 20 minutes by service bus and they run every 15 minutes from the main road which is a ten minute walk from the hotel. Five star hotels may offer more in the way of free beach towels and free water in the room fridge but tha comes at a price! The only bad thing about our stay was leaving to come home!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank NeilWilsonLincoln
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
Electra Palace Rhodes
Eden Roc Resort Hotel & Bungalows
Belair Beach Hotel
Belair Beach Hotel
#31 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to Ialyssos Bay Hotel Suneo Club? Share your experiences!