“anixis apartments”

Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Ialyssos
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“anixis apartments”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

we are going back again this year too anixis apartments in rhodes and we cant wait glynis and her family runs the apartments and they always make you welcome its a small hotel but there is always something going on in the evenings. it a great hotel for couples and familys or solo. the rooms and apartments are a good sizes they are cleaned every day. you can get meals at the hotel or you can go round the corner where there is a lovely restaruant call whispers. there is also i supermarket there too which is run by the family. we love going here we feel as if we are apart of the family.

Room Tip: all the rooms are nice you cant folt them
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tracy F

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
Birmingham
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I've just returned from a week in Rhodes, we booked self catering in a pleasant, albeit in serious need of a refurb' place called Annixis Apartments in Ixia. The apartments are family run by Glynis and her Greek husband Stematis. (Isn't that a treatment drug for vertigo?) Anyways, we arrived in Ixia which is only twenty minutes from the airport, at three in the morning absolutely wiped out by a five hour flight. Sensibly prepared we sat on the balcony to our very basic apartment (two plates, two cups which did not match, no toaster, no cutlery etc,) as I uncorked a bottle of wine I'd bought in customs. We watched the sunrise and drank from mugs, which was pretty enjoyable and then slept for several hours.

There is a small pool at the apartments which happily, remained almost people-less for the whole of our stay. I'd taken my Kindle, loaded with some excellent reading and the last thing I need on holiday, is people. (Bah people humbug.) I spend all day with people so on holiday I like to be alone. Les sat by the pool, doing a newspaper crossword while I read. Bliss. However I do love to get out and about so on the second day we travelled around the island on the Island Tour, by air-conditioned coach which is just as well as the temperature had soared to nearly forty in the sun. There were old people on our coach practically expiring in the heat.

Rhodes is a picture box pretty island, with lots of lovely old colonial style houses painted mostly white and blue, surrounded by olive groves and Cyprus trees. The countryside is quite verdant owing to a plentiful supply of underground water which, we were reliably informed, you can drink. After two days our morning ablutions had turned a shocking, knock your eye out, nuclear orange and I still don't know if it was the water!

It is evident all around you that Greece is struggling financially, not only from the tell tale half built houses which scatter the countryside but also the many boarded up, previously thriving shops all over the island. It's very sad and gives parts of Rhodes an air of neglect.

The beach near us, just five minutes walk away was only reachable by crossing one of the most horrendously busy roads I have ever crossed during my entire and varied experiences of travelling. You really do risk your life every time you cross and I'd hate to try it with children, or after indulging in a few beers. It is beyond me why there were no crossings for people as the flow of speeding traffic is constant and all through the night. Not that I minded much since I'm not a huge fan of beach holidays but we did walk down one afternoon, hearts in mouths across that road just so's Les could tell his mates at work about all the flesh on display. The beach is pebbly and not all that but the sea is lovely, frothy white and a deep azure blue further out.

We also booked a ferry to what the tour guide called an island, Lindos, but which turned out to be an extension of the main island of Rhodes. We were told it would take about an hour to get there, in fact it took three and when we arrived all there is, is a very small beach crammed with hundreds of people which for me is a nightmare. In essence we were trapped so I had to stick it out for the afternoon, watching a lot of men on sun beds sitting upright, ostensibly gazing out to sea, heads bobbing up and down they reminded me of meerkats and gent's, we already know it isn't the sea you are gazing at. It baffles me how so many women happily strip off all their clothes in front of hundreds of strangers. I suppose I might consider it if I was being paid, but no, even if I had a fabulous figure which incidentally, I do, I just wouldn't strip like that. I think it's weird and quite surreal to be sat next to a naked woman, chatting to me about her hol's as though we've known one another all our lives….. bizarre.

Les liked it. Honestly, that beach was like a still from Tube 8. Hey ho.

One night Les went for a walk. He decided to climb a mountain and left at about ten o'clock, with no money and no keys and absented himself for about five hours. This was not entirely unexpected so I let him get on with it, it was after all, our time to do with as we wanted. This was the night I decided to walk down a dark lane and look at the old cottages behind the apartments in the moonlight and then fell over. If you've got FB then you will have seen the picture. When I walked back, Les was zuzzing peacefully in bed, he'd got lost which isn't surprising as said mountain was in reality, about fifteen miles from our pad. What are we like...

On the last day, I returned on my own to Rhodes town where I spent the day wandering around the old part, which is beautiful and steeped in history, then took myself to the far end of the town beach because there was no-one on it and I had the sea to myself. Heavenly.

If you haven't been to Rhodes, I would recommend it as a great place to visit if you're not looking for great beaches and if you enjoy culture, beautiful countryside and ancient architecture, for that there is in abundance. You also need to like the British for there are large communities of ex-pats all over the island.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are cooler as they catch the breeze.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nellyfanjita
west lancs
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Stayed at the apartments for 1 week. Staff very nice but apartment was in need of drastic refurb. It was very basic and didn't appear to have been updated in years, The bathroom was extremely small. Clean but very shabby towels were provided daily and there was hot water if you showered before 7pm.
We used the pool and pool bar of the apartments next door at Katia as it was far nicer.
The area along the main road is very run down with empty premises, half built buildings and rubbish.
The location was ok but there is very little near by. Would not give it 3 stars and would not return.
If you like chips and egg and bad karaoke then this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham,England
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Travelled to the Anixis Apartments on the 27th July 2011 for 1 week, We was allocated room 126, a 2 bedroomed Apartment. Glynis was a fabulous Owner, always on hand for any of your needs & questions. The Anixis also own a supermarket and jewellery shop Next Door, very convienient and reasonably priced.

LOCATION
On a main busy road which links Rhodes Town with Trianda, the Apartments are in Ixia which is not a town,Ixia is just the name of the area of shops & Bars on the road, your literally 5mins walk to the beach, but must cross the busy road, sadly has not pedestrian crossing at all!!!, not far to Trianda and Kremasti, 10min drive into Rhodes Town.

APARTMENT
Our apartment was Basic, but fulfilled what we needed. A large balcony, Kitchen had 2 ring oven, but no Toaster, Bedrooms were good size and very comfortable, Air con was in the bedroom along with a safe (payable locally)

GENERAL
Pool was a decent size, entertainment was twice a week but there was something always going on. We hired a car which was fab as we could explore the island, a must see if Tsambiki beach Near Kolymbia - Best Beach on Rhodes or visit Anthony Quinn bay, a rocky beach near Faliraki, great for snorkelling!

Overall we enjoyed our Stay and will be back again, Thanks for a great time Glynis!

Room Tip: Request Back of Apartments, as you get sun in morning and shade in Afternoon
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2011

myself and my partner ( in our 20's) stayed here for 2 weeks in july and had a really good time. the appartments are very clean for british standards neither mind greek and are comfy. the noise from the road can be heard at times depending on which room your in.

the owners are very friendily and helpful, nothing is to much trouble. the pool is great, never busy even when the hotel was full. the bar area is nice and the food is good and reasonably priced considering how poor the euro rate is. as said before whispers bar is nice next door.

theres two resorts near by, ixia to the right as you leave the hotel and trianda to the left. we prefered trianda as it was away from the busy road!

all in all a very nice appartment that is well worth staying at

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Derby
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My wife and daughter and I went to the Anixis for the first time this July and like many other customers will definitely return. Glynis and Stematis are amazing: so friendly and helpful. There was a taxi strike when we were there and they used their own car to ferry their customers to the airport and to pick up new arrivals. Can’t say how grateful we were for that help.
The apartments are typically Greek but spotlessly clean. There is maid service every day except Sunday. There is free Wi Fi in the Bar area and the indefatigable Caroline is always on hand to serve or just to have a chat.
We spent most of our time at the pool: the beach is disappointing but Anixis more than made up for that little downside.
I cannot recommend this place too highly – 11out of 10!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
crewe
Reviewed 21 July 2011

stayed in anixis for 2 weeks with my mum,brother and dad and although we've been to anixis dozens of times and came back happy,that year we didnt because my brother was really ill over there and for most of the fortnight,we had to stay in the hotel but anixis is like family to us and they helped us alot when needed without asking. if you ever want to go to a hotel which is peaceful and fun then assure you 100% this is the hotel because they make you feel like family straight away and you make new friends.There is also a restaurant called whispers just around the corner and they are the best including the jewellery shop,the supermarket and the internet cafe so thank you glynis and stamatis,stergos and caroline for making our stay very welcome once again at anixis :) xx

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family