“BE AWARE 2 STAR HOSTEL WITH POOL”
Review of Sunland Hotel

Sunland Hotel
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Ialyssos
Reviewed 2 July 2012

As the previous post I thought I had booked the BLUE BAY HOTEL,...AND HAVE POSTED ON THAR REVIEW TO....... Again on arrival late at night I arrived at the hotel to be told that I wasn't staying at that hotel and was lead down a dirt road and presented with the ''SUNLAND HOTEL''. The best way to describe this property is ''A HOSTEL WITH A POOL''. I was furious and refused to check in,.. I went back to the Blue Bay Hotel and asked to see a Manager, at the same time there was another British family with the same issue. We were told that if we paid another 230 Euro they would move us to the Blue Bay Hotel,... I REFUSED as I thought it wrong. I had to stay in the Sunland the 1st night as It was Sunday and could not get in touch with anyone back in UK. Monday we spoke to someone in England from Sun Master - Global Holidays. I explained the situation and they said they get back to me, They called back the day after to tell me they could move me to another hotel for 360 Euro,... I argued that the hotel I booked was advertised as 4/5 Star, The hotel they put me in would be lucky to be given a 2 Star. Lots of families out there in same situation. There is clearly a SCAM going on and the holiday is being MIS SOLD. My booking was booked for the Blue Bay Holiday Village,... I was put in the Sunland Hotel which is separate. I am a single mum of 2 children and saved all year for this holiday and am furious ova the con. The rooms were bare with a fridge that didn't work. Holes in walls, bedding & towels ripped, wires hanging out the wall, bath only big enough for a child, sewerage cumin up in bathroom floor, the bar area FILTHY,.... AND THE GLASS BALCONY ON WAS CRACKED,... I asked to be at least moved to another room, as the balcony was dangerous for my children and was REFUSED, Air conditioning was broke and took them 4 days to fix it. HOLIDAY FROM HELL AND WILL BE TAKING MY COMPLAINT FURTHER

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Shari M
There are newer reviews for Sunland Hotel

Reviewed 22 June 2012

As I posted previously, (see my review on 'Blue Bay Hotel') we didn't book to stay in the SUNLAND Apartments, we booked to stay in the Blue Bay Hotel. I won't go over that saga again as i've already covered it in my 'Blue Bay Hotel' review.
This is solely going to be a review on the SUNLAND APARTMENTS which we were told were 4 star.
We arrived late on the night of the 13th June 2012. We were given our room which was 525. It was very sparse, consisting of 2 single beds pushed together and a concrete slab with a long cushion on it.
When i tried to go onto the balcony the handle came off in my hand. (see photo) The balcony looked onto a brick wall (see photo) and was shaded by a walk way above. (see photo)
On leaving the room to return to reception to complain, the handle came off the front door!! (see photo)
We were told by the night porter to make do with the room for the night and go to the Blue Bay Hotel and complain in the morning.
We returned to the room, and made do for one night. In the morning, while taking a shower, the shower kept falling off the wall. That was the final straw!!
We went to the Blue Bay Hotel to complain and we're told that we couldn't be moved, but the problems would be fixed. We said this wasn't acceptable and in the end, after much ranting and a few tears, we were moved.
To be fair, the room we were moved to (813) was ok. It was bigger, and everything was in one piece!
The food was ok, it was hot and i always found something different to eat.
The pools (x2) were nice. The one tended to be preferred by children, and the other by adults, which worked well.
The included drinks were not bad (local beer, wine and spirits) although BOTTLED WATER was NOT included.
The biggest thing was the aircraft overhead. The hotel is right on the flight path of Rhodes airport and as its right next to the hotel the aircraft are REALLY LOW! (see photos)
In the end we didn't have a bad holiday, but this was mostly down to the people we met who were in the same situation as us. (Booked one hotel and sent to another.)
One final note is that I can highly recommend the IDEAL BAR run by the lovely SASKIA. Its open all day, she does a great breakfast for €5 and then Pete Jackson does karaoke in the evening.

Room Tip: Avoid the 'Garden Floor' rooms at all costs. With regards to rooms, the higher the floor, th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank t24ant
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Don't listen to people who're saying the hotel is horrible unless you expect luxury for the money you pay for a 3 star hotel.
The rooms are basic but they're clean, everything works fine (even the air conditioner was working although we were told by the travel agency that it functions starting from July for extra cost).
The food is really good. It's repetitive but always fresh and nicely cooked. There's a choice from 2-3 meat dishes + fish every lunch and dinner. Fresh fruit (orange, peach, kiwi, watermelon, apricot: 2-3 types at a time to choose from), unlimited ice-cream, various alcoholic beverages of ok-ish quality.
The beach is just 5 minutes away in Blue Bay parent hotel. You can also use all facilities (excluding meals in the main restaurant) there. There's animation, disco, bars, snacks, pools, playground and mini-club for kids - all at your disposal for free.
Local car renatal is cheaper than you can find on the internet, so don't bother to book beforehand. Type A car is only 25 Euro per day (including full insurance). So it's way cheaper to drive around the island than buy guided tours.
People is mix: Britain, Netherlands, Poland, Russia - are the main nationalities. But since most people spend days and evenings out of the hotel (either traveling or on the beach) the hotel territory is pretty quiet and you can always find sunbeds around the pool.
To people with negative reviews I'd like to tell that whatever problem occur, all you need to do is ask one of the stuff members. Greeks in general and hotel stuff in particular are known for hospitality. They'll do everything they can to help you resolve your problems. Although keep in mind that their pace of life is much slower than the one you're used to if you come from a big city. So don't judge them by your own standards, relax and enjoy your holiday!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jgorizontova
Reviewed 2 October 2011

wouldnt even give this hotel a rating,,,just got back from Rhodes and only stayed one night here,,,the room was disgusting,,no chairs to sit on,,sockets hanging off the wall,,springs coming through the mattress and food was awful

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ziggie31
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Just got back from sunland hotel after a 10 day holiday and wish never even bothered going. We arrived early hours of the morning so never saw the room properly till the next morning, and was not impressed. There were holes in the wall with exposed wires, patio door handle was hanging off, holes in the back of the bathroom door, the bath had been repaired several times and you could see all the patches where fibre glass had been put in to patch it up.
Our room was right below the kitchen so you were woken at about 5am every morning because of banging above and this went on till around 10.30pm of the night.
On a couple of occasions beds and towels wer changed by the maids and sheets had blood stains and towels had holes in.
We had 2 young children and the room was a danger.
Room was very small and had a camp bed in the room for one of the kids which was very uncomfortable that it could not be slept on so our 2 year old ended up sleeping in the same bed as us (which was 2 single beds pushed together and did not even match in height)
The food was very very repetitive and almost the same thing every day, orange juice and apple juice tasted like water as it was watered down that much, fizzy pop was always flat which made it undrinkable, always had to wait for clean cups and plates.
Snacks was ice cream or left over food from meals.
Pools had a lot of scum around the edges and on tiles and filtration systems were only on for few hours of a morning.
Would not reccomend this hotel. Stay away

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Hatter1980
Reviewed 22 September 2011

we'v just had a fab week at the sunland/bluebay, rooms were clean & tidy food was fine,there could hav been more choice with all-inclusive drinks, pools were great, water park was worth 10euros, nearest towns are only 20-30 min walk away and there are a few bars nearby, all the staff were friendly & helpfull overall we had a really good week, it was a last minute holiday for us and we coudnt find much fault with it at all, other couples we spoke to also enjoyed their stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank flick j
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Dreading arriving at this hotel after reading this site, but very pleasantly suprised. There are negatives, such as the location, and average entertainment, but overall really enjoyed holiday. We stayed in a family room which consisted of two bedrooms and a living area, some of the smaller rooms were a bit dingy. Rooms cleaned every day, towels changed everyday, sheets every other day. Food was very good, abit samey after a fornight, but all in all very nice. Pool areas were great, pool bar open 10 til midnight. Could use all the facilities of sister hotel across road, except resturant, this where all activities took place and evening entertainment which was ok.We paid 1800 quid for the four of us for a fortnight for that price it was great, so go with a open mind and enjoy. I worried for 6 months about this place after reading the reviews here, but we all loved this holiday.

• Stayed: September 2011