“A very pleasant stay”

Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Ialyssos
Romania
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Ok, so it is not quite a 4 star hotel but it has some very nice features, or at least we had some; For example, the shower cabin had a ventilator and a radio incorporated so you could listhen to radio stations while you were showering... We had e wonderful view of the sea as well from our balcony...The maids were very nice and the reception service very helpfull.. You get used to the planes after a couple of hours and you don't notice them anymore.. The sewage smell only gets obvious if you go to the garden which is not very interesting to visit so I don't think that would represent a serious problem...
The food was ok but the menu does tend to repeat... Do mind the fact that greek food menus are different from whestern european ones... There is however a problem regarding the number of chairs around the swiming pool....the chaise-longs get occupied very early in the morning by people who just throw the towels and just leave to have breakfast or something... The hotels private beach is narrow and filled with rocks so it's rather unpleasant...I didn't like the chef's attitude as well who didn't allow me to bring some food to the room because my girlfriend was feeling a little ill...although it is an All Inclusive hotel..
The animation team was great and they understand if you don't want to take part to their program.. I don't know anything about the night program at the hotel because we didn't attend...we preferred to rent a scooter or atv(20-25 euro/day) and go in rhodes old city centre... The main activity is shopping and eating(the clothes ar not high-quality and tend to be a little expensive) but the food is oh... Tavernas everywhere... :) The is a house club exactly in the old centre and a latino music club nearby as well... I strongly reccomend to go to Lindos beach... Extremely beautiful with cristal clean water and sandy beaches..
I wouldn't avoid to go back, not at all, if I did'n enjoy experiencing different places every holiday... I would reccomend it to others...

1 Thank Andrei V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
s wales
Reviewed 11 August 2009

just come back from a great holiday at the ocean blue. we were concerned when we read some reviews but was pleasantly surprised on arrival, early hours greeted by a lovely gentleman who insisted on taking my suitcase off me and carrying it to the room. We requested our 2 rooms together which we received. We did miss breakfast so had to use the pool bar when it opened at 11 am, which i must agree the food on here wasn't brilliant but the drinks and cakes ice cream was fine, (and if you eat lunch and dinner we never went there we were to full) this did worry us a bit untill we went to lunch and saw the selection my 11 year old is the hardest to please and he found something different every day.

The pool by our room was fantastic no rushing over to put towels on sun beds as we had our own, and when we did venture to the main pool in the afternoon you usually got one then. the beach wasn't the best for the young or elderly as it was hard to get in on the pebbles but the water was lovely, didn't take our younger children in though.

the smell every one has mentioned wasn't that bad which you could always smell as you walked past the games room, (this wasn't very good a lot of the games didn't work) did not smell it anywhere else but this type of smell is common in greece anyway and didn't find it that bad. the staff i must say were efficient but did not seem as friendly as most greek people you meet, the team around the pool were very nice and didn't find they hassled you to join in, which we didn't ,the aerobics did look good though.
all in all we had a lovely week, i do agree that some off the items mentioned we did not receive but we had a week all inclusive for 3 adults 3 children for £2500 compared to turkey last year 2 star self catering I think this was a fabulous price we were expecting to have to eat out of the hotel because of the reviews and didn't once, I think people need to look at the price for this hotel compared to others, and take this into consideration when writing their reviews. There is no beach bar no slippers and dressing gown and a fridge instead of a mini bar, but for that price I think is value for money, had to pay extra last year for fridge and air con which cost us a fortune.

bradford
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We've just returned from our family holiday at the Ocean Blue. After booking the holiday back in March we read the reviews on tripadvisor - some of the reviews were pretty awful so you can imagine our anxiety - especially travelling with 2 young kids. Anyway, 30 mins after landing in Rhodes we arrived via taxi (11 euros) at the Ocean Blue. Reception staff were very polite and helpful and took our bags to our room and showed us how everything worked. Our room was fab. It was a large corner family room, half looking over the pool and half over the gardens. Room and hotel is very clean - the staff are always cleaning! Restaurant is excellent, great selection of food, not particularly hot, but who cares when its 35 degrees outside?! Restaurant staff very efficient - they like to clear your plates the second you finish eating! - I guess some people would see this as a little rude - but I think its more trying to be helpful than anything else. Pool is great - although the baby pool is very shallow, and the other 2 pools are quite deep - not great for a non-swimming older child (7 yrs). Be sure to get up early and put your towel on a lounger! Hotel is right on the beach. Its a pebble beach, but the sea is lovely and its great to watch all the mad sportsmen out with kites and windsurfers. Hotel is right under the flight path - some people obviously found this anoying! - after a day you're used to it and it never really bothered us. The most anoying thing was our 3 yr old saying (everytime!) look! - a plane!!" - you can only pretend to be interest so many times!!! Bus stop 5 mins walk from the hotel in Rhodes. A 'must' day out is Rhodos Old Town - its simply beautiful. Probably wouldnt go back to the Ocean Blue - 'been there,done that', but would certainly recommend it to friends. Its definately not a 5* - but its Greece! Greek people are prob the most friendly in the world!!

Suffolk
Reviewed 19 July 2009

This hotel sits next to a working sewage farm, the smell is completely overwhelming. I cannot describe how bad it is, it made me literally throw up. It also sits directly on the flightpath for Rhodes airport, you can see the passengers in the airplanes as they fly overhead, the noise is terrible.
The hotel appears to cater for Eastern Europeans and the majority of the staff are from Eastern Europe, they where 'surley' unhelpful and sometimes downright unpleasant.
The so called 'all in' experience was also terrible, I asked for a Tequila Sunrise' and it was made from 'Orangeade, a purple coloured cordial and some unspecified clear spirit', as you can guess, it was not pleasant. All of the drinks appeared to come from the fizzy drinks dispenser and where generally very poor. I will not say much about the food other than on the only night we stayed it was like a rugby match and a free for all the other tourists where obviously very hungry.
We asked for a different room away from the smell and where moved to a room at the pool area, although the smell no longer made me retch the noise was unbearable. The constant very, very loud 70's 'Disco' music coupled with the screams of the hordes of unsupervised childred cramed into the small pool and the passing aircraft was too much to bear.
I will not go on any further other than saying this is the most awful hotel I have ever stayed at.
Of course, we moved and where given half our money back without much fuss, they seemed quite used to people leaving!
This is NOT a 5 star hotel, I would not give this place 1 star, I am sure the description on the web-site gives a very different impression.
One more thing, the 'so called' private pool with each room is a 1 meter wide 'canal' running the length of the appartment block with a small bridge outside each door, not at all private and not at all a 'pool'.

2 Thank flynomoreSuffolk

Travellers are raving about these Ialyssos hotels

Holmes Chapel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Staff is mostly from Romania and seems very sad and not the least service minded. They never smile and make you feel very unwelcome. The rather outnumbered Greek staffs are all great and very friendly. The Hotel is OK but could make minor adjustment that would make it worth its 5 stars rating. The food is brilliant and the hotel is well maintained and quite clean. The hotel is bang in the middle of the landing pah for incoming aircrafts so exspect some noise.

bedfordhire
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I have just returned from this hotel after a 2 week holiday. The hotel is sold as a 5 star....it is no more than 2.5 star at best!!
The write ups I saw about the hotel by tour operators were simply not true. Like, no money exchange at reception, no beach bar, the beach is dirty and all pebbles not sandy and clean. I also read on the hotel web site before I left that there was n new bar opened....this just was not the case!! The A La Carte restaurant looked very nice but was rarely used. Probably because they charged 20 Euros per person even thoug you were all inclusive, just for wine!!
The grounds were also smelly in places and it was not particularly clean and many of the staff were quite rude.
The room itself was ok, and we had one with our own pool.....but it was kind of shared with the next rooms!!
We were delayed coming back and we had to be put up in The Rodos Palace hotel....now that really is 5 star!!

2 Thank JP1206
Bolton
Reviewed 12 July 2009

After seeing the hotel on the web site we were really excited about visiting. Champagne reception was non existent. We were just given our key and directed to our room. After looking at the official hotel web site I was expecting luxury. I'm no snob and have stayed in some pretty low budget hotels, but after looking at the web site I expected more than what we got. There were no dressing gowns and slippers awaiting us on the bed, and the decor of the room was the bog standard you get in any low budget hotel. There was no satellite tv in the room, nor a dvd player (both promised on the web site). Not that I go away to use these facilities, but it is false advertising. We paid extra to stay in the double superior garden suites. Thank goodness we did as the other rooms around the pool were tiny. A couple we spoke to had demanded to be moved from one of these pool side rooms because of the noise. Would you believe that after paying extra for a deluxe suite, we had a camp bed in the room??? See the pics. The hotel is directly under the flight path. The first day we were there it was a novelty, watching the planes fly so low. Trust me, the novelty soon wore off. After being woken every 15 minutes during the night, we weren't the happiest of travellers. All throughout the holiday we just kept thanking our lucky stars that we weren't around the pool area. For one, the stench of sewage was really, really bad. For two, it was just extremely busy and noisy. Even though the view from my room door was of wasteland, we were happy where we were. The food was ok, apart from the packed lunch which consisted of a dry cheese and ham sandwich, bottle of water and two bananas. It was rarely hot, but we didn't havea problem with this. What really annoyed us was that the kitchen staff moved your plates as soon as you put your cutlery down. This was annoying to say the least, especially if you were having to interrupt eating your dessert in order to pass your plates over to the waiting on staff. The staff were rude - simply saying 'Finished?' before snatching away your plates. A word of warning - don't use the soft drinks dispenser in the restaurant as it is infested with crawling bugs when you pour your drink out. When we told the waiting on staff that we had a glass full of bug infested lemonade they squirted the machine and said 'it's sorted.'. But every day when we tried to use it, the same thing happened. All inclusive only lasts until 11pm. Be aware....they have 1, or if you are lucky 2, barstaff on so you can imagine the queues for drinks. The bar staff were surly, ignorant and rude. I have been to Rhodes many times and have always found the Greek people the nicest in the world so this surprised me immensely. I later found out that the bar staff and kitchen staff were Polish and Albanian, so maybe weren't happy in their jobs perhaps? One evening they ran out of brandy. They just replied 'No brandy'. By this time, our party was feeling extremely fed up by the attitude of the staff and spoke to the manager who promptly went to the beer store and returned with brandy. The truth was, the bar staff just couldnt be bothered to fetch it. They were happier to serve guests who were paying for their drinks. They didn't seem to be bothered about serving children - one of my children was waiting 20minutes before we had to go to the bar to get a drink for her. There was no entertainment on the Friday we were there as it was the Animation Team's day off. In peak season?? And on a Friday??? We weren't allowed to use the toilet near the pool for 30minutes after the cleaners had been in, and were simply blocked physically from entering! We found the reception staff and the manager very helpful and pleasant however. The a la carte restaurant wasn't part of the all inclusive deal but we knew this before we went. The entertainment consisted of the same music being played all day. We were also mithered to buy Cds and t shirts at 15 euros each. They played bingo, which cost 5 euros a game, and the prize was a CD or a t shirt. The hotel was in the middle of nowhere, but this wasn't a problem because it is so cheap to use public transport in Rhodes. The hotel is directly on the beach - it's a small pebble beach, but the sea is beautiful. There was no beach bar, as stated on the hotel web site. The bus into Rhodes costs 2 euros for an adult and 1 euro for a child which is fabulous value for money. Also, if you caught the bus near the hotel you managed to get a seat, whereas if you were further towards Rhodes and got on then you would be standing along with about 30 other people. I love Rhodes, and will definitely visit again - but will definitely never go to this hotel ever again. After working hard to save up and go on this holiday, I expected a little more customer service than what I received. If staff in hotels in Britain were as unhelpful and as rude I am quite sure they would be out of a job.

4 Thank soozym71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
Pylea Beach Hotel
Electra Palace Rhodes
Electra Palace Rhodes
#2 of 31 in Ialyssos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,426 reviews

Been to The Ocean Blue? Share your experiences!