“really good value”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Ialyssos
Nantwich, United Kingdom
“really good value”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed 18th sept for two weeks our second visit, and just booked again for next sept.almost everything excellent, but evening entertainment could do with spicing up more visiting acts, who wants a hour of bingo or tombola every night, but we dont go for entertainment really.
I think the restaurant and snack areas first class, didnt bother with booking a la cartes as enjoyed friendly staff in restaurant (thank you michael for football updates daily.) Again looking forward to our return to very sunny sunshine Rhodas.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Israel
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed at the Sunshine Vacation Club from 9-13 September 2013.
I found the whole setting of the hotel to be magnificent! Everything was clean and beautiful, and the staff (reception, restaurant, and bar) were very professional, pleasant and helpful.
There are 3 pools – one main pool which circles around itself with a bridge over it, one entertainment pool, and one relaxation pool.
The hotel has a private beach, which is just a few meters away from the pool area and pool bars. The pool and beach area are constantly being kept clean, with someone coming around all the time to pick up anything that might be lying around.
There were many beach beds, more than enough both at the pools and at the beach (no charge), even despite the fact that there was a certain extent "reservation" by putting down towels before breakfast time. There were so many beach beds, that I never had a problem finding one in a good spot.
My room (I upgraded to a sea-view room in one of the 3 renovated buildings) was immaculate, large, bright and spotless throughout my stay. I had a wonderful view of both the main pool and the sea.
The soap and shampoo provided are of a good quality, and I was happy to use them. I had brought my own hair conditioner, so it was not problematic that this was missing, but one should be aware of this. Same regarding coffee/tea facilities in the room – these are not provided (coffee and tea are served free at all the bars at the hotel, but one would have to leave the room for that).
There is an in-room safe, and the air conditioning was working perfectly, and at some stage I even turned it down a bit as I was cold.
I stayed on an "all inclusive" basis, and found the food to be very varied and tastier than other all-inclusive resorts I have stated in the past. I found the lunch and dinner to be better than the breakfast (was disappointed that there was no feta cheese at breakfast…). There are also a Greek and an Italian restaurant on site (one can reserve one night at each), but I did not use them, as the main restaurant's food was so good.
I found the Restaurant staff to be very professional and polite.
There were a number of pool/beach bars. I do not drink alcohol, so I cannot comment on that, but I drank multiple liters of club soda, and quite a few cups of coffee and the bar staff were always very helpful and pleasant. Also, there is no need to purchase bottled water, as one can get full one and a half liter bottles at the bar at specific times.

Despite all of the above, I would not stay at this hotel again. Although the animation team worked very hard, and I could see that they were loved by all, I personally found the whole atmosphere to be too loud. I have no problem with animation and entertainment, but it disturbs me if it is constantly at "disco" volume. At some stage I couldn't stand it any more, and I went to get my earphones and listened to music off my I-phone, just to block out the noise. After that, I made sure that I was out of the hotel during "animation hours", and luckily for me, they had the day off on Wednesday, which I spent relaxing at the pool reading a book with a normal level of music in the background. The rest of the time, I spent in Rhodes town and walking around Iallysos, just to get some peace and quiet…..
This is really a pity, as I LOVED all other aspects of this hotel , and would stay there and recommend it without hesitation if it wasn't for this 
Ps. At some stage, I went to the "relax" pool, hoping it would be quieter, but it was like the "wild west", with people running around, shouting from one end to the other, dive-bombing every two minutes, and generally creating a very "un"relaxed atmosphere – It would help, if someone from the hotel could inform people or enforce the "relax" policy of this pool – although it is small, it is relatively far away from the loud music and loudspeakers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Ruthi H
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The area is nothing spectacular. Pebble beaches are rocks! The staff is ok but only if you ask nothing of them. The minute we opened the door to our rooms you are hit with the smell of sewage. This is because the bathroom has a drain opening to the sewage line. The toilet seat doesn't fit the bowl. They had ants and mosquitos in the rooms. We found ants on our beds! The food was plenty but unfortunately some of us got sick and lost two days time of our vacation as a result. The fixtures are dirty. Dust was everywhere. It was just a disgusting experience. I will never go back again. It kills me that we spent so much time and money getting there for such a miserable trip. DON'T GO!!! Go somewhere you will enjoy!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Missy872

Travellers are raving about these Ialyssos hotels

Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed here 11th-18th September. Check in was simple and quick and we were given the keys to our room and yellow wristband for all inclusive. I would recommend going to make sure you have found your room before taking up the suitcases as we thought we were on the right level only to discover the corridor wasn’t long as we thought. There is a tiny lift you can fit 1 person and 1 suitcase in towards the back of the building. The room was your average room with beds, tv, wardrobes, fridge and bathroom. I was surprised to see that there wasn’t a proper security lock on the room door. We had problems with the safe as we were given the key but there was no hole for it, you need nails to pull a hidden cover off. The bed was made every day and towels changed. The food was good always managed to find something I liked to eat. Not much choice on non-alcoholic drinks very limited. Also only allowed 1 bottle of water each a day from the main bar after 5pm. We spent most our time sunbathing on the beach as it had a lovely breeze. Each person had a towel card which you can swap for a towel every day from the pool bar. Drinks from the pool bar are served in a flimsy plastic cup which isn’t very good as have to keep getting up all the time to get a drink. At lunch time we ate at the restaurant by the pools which had pizza, chips, salad and ice cream. We went to the karaoke night at the pool bar that was good and the animation team do a fantastic job. Most of the holiday makers are French and German not many English. The staff were all very friendly. We brought bus tickets to visit Rhodes old town from the supermarket opposite. Tickets were 2.20 Euros for a single. To get to the bus stop you have to walk straight up the road till you get to the crossroads near the bank. You then turn left and wait by the shop which has Chinese lanterns hanging outside. When you are in Rhodes town and you want to come back you can get on any of the buses as long as it isn’t the Falaraki bus.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nlm244
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed ay this hotel as a family with 3 children aged 11-17 August 2012. We had a great time . The entertainment team were fantastic and made our holiday more enjoyable . They were not pushy but tried to involve everybody in activities . Activities ran through the day aswell as in the evening. The evening shows the team put on we're great! Their was a wide range of food on offer that was delicious something for everyone. We stayed for two weeks it was very hot. There are local shops within walking distance but not many organised excursions.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Debbie L
Essex, England
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks, 2nd to 16th August 2013.

All staff at this hotel are extremely helpful and friendly.

We are a family of 4 so our apartment had two rooms, the children slept on comfortable sofa beds and our bedroom had a very comfortable large double bed. We also had a double balcony. Towels and sheets were changed every day. They also offer clean beach towels every day.

The animation team at this hotel are the best! They have a mini kids programme, teenager programme and adult programme during the day, which included rifle shooting, archery, water polo, water basketball, beach volleyball, crazy darts, water aerobics to name a few. The animation team work extremely hard and make you feel really welcome from your first day and try to include everyone, but are not too pushy if you say no. During the evening there is a mini disco for the younger children, followed by a different show every night either at the theatre or pool bar. The atmosphere is fun and again they try to get everyone involved in various games and dancing. A big thank you to Lara, Rio, Cassey and Andi in particular - you are all wonderful and kept us entertained for 2 weeks!

The food at this hotel is very good with lots of variety, although like any all inclusive hotel does get a bit repetitive after 2 weeks, but I cannot complain.

Only moan if I really look for one is getting up so early for sunbeds. The rule is no towels to be put down before 8am but this is not enforced. Towards the end of our holiday we were having to get up before 5am to ensure we were at the pool we wanted to be at. Unfortunately some people were putting down their towels on their way home from a night out in the early hours! Once your towel is down you don't have to sit at your sunbed.

There is a real mix of nationalities at this hotel, English being in the minority. This didn't bother us as all were friendly and spoke English. I would say probably 60% Dutch (very nice people).

Just off site there are lots of bars, restaurants and shops. Rhodes Old Town was a taxi ride away, costing 12 Euros. Beware of prices of drinks etc there, ask prices before you sit down, we were nearly charged 8 Euros for a small bottle of Strongbow!

Airport taxi ride only costs 14 Euros and there are many taxis waiting outside at Arrivals.

All in all we had a fantastic holiday and would definitely recommend this hotel and Rhodes.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank FairyGlen74
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We had a great time in the 7 days we were there. My nine year old son actually cried on the morning we left. The kids were entertained all day and there was usually a live show at night. The food wasn't amazing but was good enough for all of us. Basically you could eat and drink all day if you wanted.
People do make me laugh looking for things to complain about. One morning when I was using a toilet beside one of the pools there was an English guy taking a picture of something he didn't like and he told me he was posting it on trip advisor. He was making lists of all his complaints and when he told me them, I thought get a life Dude!
However Do Not pay the extra for a 1 bedroom apartment with a sea view!
If you book a studio then you get a Real sea view. But the one bedroom apartments are in a block behind 2 other blocks. Our sea view was looking between two blocks and it was only half a view so don't bother, its a complete waste of money but putting that to one side I would still give this hotel an excellent for the week we had there.
A BIG thanks goes to the kids entertainers, my kids still miss you all

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra for a sea view if booking a one bedroom apartment
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
Electra Palace Rhodes
Eden Roc Resort Hotel & Bungalows
Sun Beach Resort Complex
Sun Beach Resort Complex
#4 of 31 in Ialyssos

Been to Sunshine Rhodes Hotel? Share your experiences!