“Lovely Holiday”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Ialyssos
Isle of Wight
“Lovely Holiday”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Just returned from two weeks at this hotel, after previously stayed several times at their hotel in Corfu. Arrived to a warm welcome and lunch, before being shown our room which had a great view of the pool and sea. Bright and airy, quite large and spotless. All the staff for our entire stay were friendly, kind and very helpful. The weather was lovely although was starting to get chilly in the evenings and the animation team moved into the main bar area which became quite packed out and very noisy. There is a nice selection of shops and bars nearby if you choice to wonder away from the complex. The lovely cake box which served great coffee, rolls and cakes daily, nice to sit and watch the world go by.
The food in the hotel was lovely and lots of choices, and Mama mias served a lovely evening meal. The only downside was that the last few days we were there was getting close to closing for the winter season and the food in the main diningroom was starting to refect this in the standard of food and quality. which was the only mark on a fabulous holiday.

2 Thank Caroline R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Thompson, Norfolk
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We've just returned from a fabulous holiday. Everyone was helpful and friendly and did everything to make our stay so enjoyable.

Our room was comfortable and clean, the food was in the main restaurant was ok, there was always something that you could find and enjoy. The other restaurant that you could book at was excellent for both the Greek and Itallian night. If you get fed up of the food in the main restaurant there are several bars and restaurants nearby that are reasonably priced.

The animation team were particularly fantastic, they all work really hard, especially Rio and Lara and before they went home Cassey and Adi, to keep you entertained throughout the day and the evening. Their numbers have reduced as the season comes to a close but they still try to put on all the shows that they can. We were lucky to see, The Abba Show, Lord of the Dance, Cabaret Evening, Stars Night and my absolute favourite was Mr Playboy, I have never laughed so much it was so funny. Every evening for the kids they put on a mini disco with dances from around the world. I don't think I will ever forget their club dance!

The island itself is beautiful and we were really glad we hired a car for a couple of days so that we could see its beauty. A visit to Rodos Old Town is also a must.

Overall it was an excellent holiday. I didn't think I would want to go back to the same place again but would definitely consider this now.

2 Thank Teresa B
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here 28 Sept-5 Oct. We booked flights with Easy-Jet including extra leg room seats which were fab and made the 4 hour flight time much more comfortable. We booked private transfer with suntransfers.com and had no problems. I couldn't wait to see the room as I had booked and paid extra for a sea-view room and from the pictures I had seen on here thought they looked really clean and modern. After checking in shortly after 11.10pm we were told where we could find our room, we were located in block 5 room 570 (block 1 being closest to reception). When we opened the door it was a big let down, it was dark and dismal, the bathroom was tired looking and had an old white shower curtain, it felt dirty. Our double room was actually 2 single beds pushed together with mattresses that were so hard.
The view the following morning was lovely with a full view of the sea, The choice for breakfast was quite good with cereals, fruits, yogurt ,pancakes, etc although the bread was terrible
Lunch was either taken in the main restaurant or in the taverna near the activity pool, we ate at both and always found something we liked. Dinner was a bit hit and miss, and like some other all inclusive hotels can get a bit repetitive, we only lasted 3 nights then went to a bar just outside the hotel a short walk to the right called Fiery Blaze where we had a few drinks whilst my husband watched the football (something the hotel could possibly consider showing)we also had a burger & chip which was lovely, Costas at Fiery Blaze was very friendly and made us very welcome, we also got to use their internet free of charge, something again that the hotel charges for.
The weather was pretty grim that week, we had heavy rain and thunderstorms and even managed to see a twister, the fact that the weather wasn't that great was a problem, there is only so much drinking you can do and I was actually bored by the middle of the week. We hadn't taken a kettle so as it was raining so hard meant we couldn't leave our room to get to the bar to get a coffee or anything. The entertainment is mostly outside and due to people complaining about the cold they moved the tables around in the lounge bar, this was quite claustrophobic and meant that people that went to that bar every evening because it was quiet had to move to make way for the animation team to try and get everyone motivated to take part but the entertainment was boring with bingo most nights that seemed to take forever. Don't get me wrong the animation team did a fantastic job and worked really hard as do all the staff who work at the hotel, I just felt there could have been more shows maybe.
It is nice to be able to have a walk outside the complex which we did a couple of times a week and we had a lovely meal at Knights of Olde which is a proper greek restaurant/taverna about 250 yards from the hotel, the meal including drinks was 25 euros and was a pleasant change from the all inc.
This was our first visit to Rhodes and we would visit again but I think we would try a different hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank janieg65
Glasow
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel last year, this is the reason we booked to back this year. We were a bit disappointed this time around. The standards seem to have slipped somewhat. The food wasn't as good, it was bland and repetitive. The standards of cleanliness around the hotel left a bit to be desired, although our room attendant was great. The staff were all very friendly and helpful apart from the staff at reception. We had to ask for our fridge to be replaced on our first day (Sunday) as it was not working. It took several trips to reception, being told "oh yes it will be replaced today" by different embers of the team and was finally not replaced until Wednesday afternoon. Whether this was the fault of reception or the maintenance team I don't know but there it is never acceptable to be rude and dismissive towards guests.
I am sure we will return to Rhodes, an probably Ialyssoss but not to this hotel.
Another point is when you get bored with the food you must try Alkionis Sports Bar and Grill for a great meal.

1 Thank Gailmum
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed 18th sept for two weeks our second visit, and just booked again for next sept.almost everything excellent, but evening entertainment could do with spicing up more visiting acts, who wants a hour of bingo or tombola every night, but we dont go for entertainment really.
I think the restaurant and snack areas first class, didnt bother with booking a la cartes as enjoyed friendly staff in restaurant (thank you michael for football updates daily.) Again looking forward to our return to very sunny sunshine Rhodas.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Israel
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed at the Sunshine Vacation Club from 9-13 September 2013.
I found the whole setting of the hotel to be magnificent! Everything was clean and beautiful, and the staff (reception, restaurant, and bar) were very professional, pleasant and helpful.
There are 3 pools – one main pool which circles around itself with a bridge over it, one entertainment pool, and one relaxation pool.
The hotel has a private beach, which is just a few meters away from the pool area and pool bars. The pool and beach area are constantly being kept clean, with someone coming around all the time to pick up anything that might be lying around.
There were many beach beds, more than enough both at the pools and at the beach (no charge), even despite the fact that there was a certain extent "reservation" by putting down towels before breakfast time. There were so many beach beds, that I never had a problem finding one in a good spot.
My room (I upgraded to a sea-view room in one of the 3 renovated buildings) was immaculate, large, bright and spotless throughout my stay. I had a wonderful view of both the main pool and the sea.
The soap and shampoo provided are of a good quality, and I was happy to use them. I had brought my own hair conditioner, so it was not problematic that this was missing, but one should be aware of this. Same regarding coffee/tea facilities in the room – these are not provided (coffee and tea are served free at all the bars at the hotel, but one would have to leave the room for that).
There is an in-room safe, and the air conditioning was working perfectly, and at some stage I even turned it down a bit as I was cold.
I stayed on an "all inclusive" basis, and found the food to be very varied and tastier than other all-inclusive resorts I have stated in the past. I found the lunch and dinner to be better than the breakfast (was disappointed that there was no feta cheese at breakfast…). There are also a Greek and an Italian restaurant on site (one can reserve one night at each), but I did not use them, as the main restaurant's food was so good.
I found the Restaurant staff to be very professional and polite.
There were a number of pool/beach bars. I do not drink alcohol, so I cannot comment on that, but I drank multiple liters of club soda, and quite a few cups of coffee and the bar staff were always very helpful and pleasant. Also, there is no need to purchase bottled water, as one can get full one and a half liter bottles at the bar at specific times.

Despite all of the above, I would not stay at this hotel again. Although the animation team worked very hard, and I could see that they were loved by all, I personally found the whole atmosphere to be too loud. I have no problem with animation and entertainment, but it disturbs me if it is constantly at "disco" volume. At some stage I couldn't stand it any more, and I went to get my earphones and listened to music off my I-phone, just to block out the noise. After that, I made sure that I was out of the hotel during "animation hours", and luckily for me, they had the day off on Wednesday, which I spent relaxing at the pool reading a book with a normal level of music in the background. The rest of the time, I spent in Rhodes town and walking around Iallysos, just to get some peace and quiet…..
This is really a pity, as I LOVED all other aspects of this hotel , and would stay there and recommend it without hesitation if it wasn't for this 
Ps. At some stage, I went to the "relax" pool, hoping it would be quieter, but it was like the "wild west", with people running around, shouting from one end to the other, dive-bombing every two minutes, and generally creating a very "un"relaxed atmosphere – It would help, if someone from the hotel could inform people or enforce the "relax" policy of this pool – although it is small, it is relatively far away from the loud music and loudspeakers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Ruthi H
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The area is nothing spectacular. Pebble beaches are rocks! The staff is ok but only if you ask nothing of them. The minute we opened the door to our rooms you are hit with the smell of sewage. This is because the bathroom has a drain opening to the sewage line. The toilet seat doesn't fit the bowl. They had ants and mosquitos in the rooms. We found ants on our beds! The food was plenty but unfortunately some of us got sick and lost two days time of our vacation as a result. The fixtures are dirty. Dust was everywhere. It was just a disgusting experience. I will never go back again. It kills me that we spent so much time and money getting there for such a miserable trip. DON'T GO!!! Go somewhere you will enjoy!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.