“Really Lovely Holiday!!”
Review of Alfa Beach Hotel

Alfa Beach Hotel
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We are an English family, recently returned from a weeks holiday at The Alpha Beach Hotel. There are several reviews on here regarding people arriving at the hotel, only to be told that they were booked in at the Alpha Hotel which is over the road, and is a 3* hotel. After myself booking what was described as 'special offer room' in the 'annex' of the Alpha Beach Hotel, I was very worried about these reviews, and took this up with the travel provider. Luckily, they agreed that their advert had been misleading, and that there was nothing to suggest that were were booked into anywhere but Alpha Beach, and so they covered the extra cost for us to be booked into Alpha Beach. In my opinnion, this is the fault of the travel companies for placing mis-leading adverts, and not the fault of the hotel, so I think that it is unfair to rate the hotel itself badly, and as long as you ask the correct questions when booking, I believe you will have a lovely holiday!

Re the hotel itself, it was clean, the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you, the food was fantastic (and my other half is a body builder and is very fussy about his diet), and there was plenty of choice and the dishes varied every day. The hotel catered very well for the different nationalities, and there was always something for everyone! The all inclusive drinks were tasty and not watered down like some other All Inclusive resports I have been to.

We were the only English family at the hotel when we stayed, but this didn't bother us. My 6 year onld made lots of friends, and everyone was very friendly. The main population were German, and so the entertainment was geared towards them, but that didn't stop my little boy joining in with the kids disco each night!

There are various busses which stop at the hotels bus stop which means that the whole of Rhodes is available to you with relative ease!

The air con here is free in peak season which is good, as a lot of hotels which I have been to ask you to pay. You have a hand held control in your room which you can turn up and down, on and off as you please.

We had a really lovely holiday here, and I genuinely think that some of the recent bad reviews are unfair.

Room Tip: We were booked into a 'Quad' room with a garden view, but the view wasn't great aty all...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Amy O

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We was in alpha beach this month... Ans we are very disapionted. The rooms are no clean,the bathroom disgusting, smeeling, in room was hot we couldnt sleep... Sunbed we have to pay,no snack beetwee meals, drinks no good taste like low guality drinks,awful wine.everywhere deutchland people, russian peoe also.at night was just kinder party for deutch child, everything in german language! German german everywhere.we didnt like it! Staff very nice, food very good, just breakfast everyday the same! Other meals delicious!we recommended this hotel for middle age couple and families no for young people.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Agusek195
Reviewed 7 July 2012

At first I must tell that I don't understand why this hotel has so many bad rewievs?? The only bad thing about the hotel may be food, because it's not so delicious but it's not bad either. The breakfest is ok, you have everything. At lunch and dinner they prepare different meat, spaghetti, pommes, very good salads and always one greek speciality.
The location is great if you want to take a tour around the Island (you can rent a car/motor bike at every corner). There are many beautiful beaches around there, the city Rhodes is 25km away and it's very interesting, beautiful, you must go see it. Another city you must see is Lindos with the acropolis. The roads are very good, well maintained, all signs on road are in greek and in english so there's no problem with understanding.
The hotel beach is really beautiful, long (there are 5 others hotel at the beach), the water is the cleanest I have ever seen, it's great for swimming. The hotel pool is big but still overcrowded with children but that's normal.
The service in hotel is ok, the rooms are cleaned every day, all the staff know german and english language. All inclusive package includes breakfest, lunch, dinner and all drinks in main bar, pool bar and beach bar. Internet connection costs you 2,5€/day, 10€/week, but the wi-fi is working reaaally slow.
At the end, I would recommend everyone to see the Island of Rhodes, it's true that is small but there are really many things worth seeing.

Room Tip: Choose a room at higher floor looking to the sea-beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Špela L
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We are English and we booked this holiday knowing it is a mainly German hotel, thinking it would be lovely and clean, with drinks all day, which is hard to find with the Greek recession.

We booked our flights, hired our car and drove to the hotel. When we got there the staff were suprised that we were English and not with a tour company, but then we got checked in and shown our room. A majority of the rooms have garden views and only a handful have a sea view. I asked for a travel cot for my 6m old and they said they could put one in my room but it would cost an extra 42euros which really upset me after all of the travelling and driving. They said I had a bed in the room for him, but when I expained that he was 6m old they said hire the cot then. Not a good start!

The room was immaculate with a small balcony overlooking a quad garden. It was cleaned everyday and we had new towels, and the staff even left extra towels to help dry my babies bottles. Not aircon as they turned it off 1st Oct and yet it was 28 - 31 degrees. I took my own fan and it stopped us boiling alive! It was 7euros a day to hire.

The first few days were weird as the hotel was full of Germans and the odd French and we felt a bit like the outcasts. I found that a smile is universal and after a few days everyone was very kind and would fuss the children. Once the staff realised we were English they were fabulous! They were very chatty and my little boy got cuddled by all of the staff every chance they could.

The resaurant reserved a table for us witha high chair for the two week holiday as it was limited for space. The breakfast was great but couldn't get used to the frankfurter sausages, but my 3yr old loved them. Beans, scrambled egg, hard boiled egg, fried ham, yoghurt, honey, grenola, spong cakes, tea, coffee, fruit juice, cheese, hams, bread rolls, toast, jams, tomato. Lunch & Dinner were similar with two salad bars, salad, peppers, greek salad, taziki, cheese, hams. Mains meals were a variety with themed nights. Italian, greek, chinese. About 7 varieties and always a pasta (handy for little kiddies), next to a huge bowl of grated cheese. The greek food was fab, mousakka, stews, stuffed aubagines. Chinese night was spring rolls, barbeque ribs, rice, a chinese curry (my hubby was overjoyed!). There were not chips everyday, but it was either mash, potato croquets, boiled etc, all tasty. There was always a soup, but I didn't try that. I always had a greek salad starter then a variety of the main meals. The puddings were a bit samey, sponge & cream everyday, different flavoured cream, fruit, pear, orange, apple, blamonge (weird) occassionally french patisserie cake with custard and pineapple, these were gorgeous, just like Sainsburys own. Ice cream and sauces which my 3yr old loved and there was always a chef nearby if something ran out.

The drinks were faultless, from 10am-11am. Cocktails all day (which should be 5euro) we drank loads, and if you want them to tweek them they will. Various spirits, beer, and wines, all lovely. They thought I was strange when I asked for lime syrup in my beer but they got used to it. Tea and coffee all day and the coffee was lovely.

The bar by the sea is fab during the day but in the evening you get eaten by mosquitoes. You can sit, watch the sea, watch the volly ball around 5pm which is very funny, It's like watching little Britan. Men in nut huggers with big bellys jumping about for the ball and falling flat on their faces. very amusing! Wouldn't catch us Brits doing that! The animation team ampitheatre is by this bar and is all in German so you can't join in, but that didn't matter. The bar at reception is more for adults but it was lovely and we made some nice friends there. Around 5-6pm it is lovely to sit outside looking at the sea but you can sit in the sun and work on your tan. We would shout 'yammas' at our German friends who had a beer with a whisky chaser and we always chuckled. We couldn't say a word to each other but they were lovely.

I did notice that by about 9.30pm there were no children to be seen and we got frowned on when ours were up in their double pram, even when asleep. In the end we got the kids to bed by about 9pm and took turns to go to the bar and watched DVD's on our player. It was easier for us with two small children.

The main pool had chlorine chucked in around 8am, but not cleaned. The toddler pool was very dirty and sandy so we didnt bother with it. My 3 year old can swim with arm bands and even though the main pool was deep he jumped in and off he went. Everyone was amazed by him and I think he was the entertainment. The animation team did aqua arobics once a day and the music was great but the rest of the time it was quiet with most people reading and relaxing. There was always a sunbed, but it helped to put your towel on your favourite when you went for breakfast. There is a small childrens play area and a tennis court if it's cool enough. There is an indoor swimming pool and gym, but we didn't use these. There is also a little shop for crisps, sweets, chocolate, wine, smokes, and presents. Its a bit pricey but very handy.

While we were there we had the worst storms I've seen, many beach sunbeds got packed away for the winter, drains smelled, roads were waterlogged but it didn't bother us. We hired a car and explored the whole island over two weeks. It is a beautiful Country, the Greeks are kind and friendly and I would go back again tomorrow.

Alpha Beach is perfect for a cheap holiday if you don't want to spend any money and rest. And if you feel energetic then you can explore the two nearby beaches and go rockpooling, snorkling, swimming at the harbour or walking. Great hotel, lovely staff and a smile is worth everything. I love Rhodes!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Sally_Brighouse
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The worst service we ever had. The owner of the hotel unfriendly. Domestic employees not polite and foreigner employees very polite as FTI animatours super. We don't recommend this hotel for family with children and young people looking for fun. Beach access terrible for children and water level very high. We had stray dogs on the beach. On our way to the beach was unpleasant stink. We had all inclusive but we didn't have any bottled water in the fridge and between main meals any food even snack. Every day same food and low quality also drinks. This resort is missing positive spirit and atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank batigolka
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We booked to stay in the Alfa beach annex which was a special offer. on our accomodation voucher it clearly states this and that the accomdation was 4* AI.
On arrival this was not the case we were told we were staying in the hotel opposite which is called Alfa Hotel. We thought that this would be ok as the hotel was only acroos the road but was told that we could not use any of the facilties in the Alfa beach Hotel. No drinks at the beach bar and no food in the restaurant.We explained and showed our voucher but was told that to be able to stay in the Alfa Beach Hotel and use the facilties that we thought we had already paid would be an extra charge. Deciding that we would do this as the other hotel was not very impressive...we then had to go to a cash point to get cash as they only except cash. We felt that was a bit of a con and since arriving home have put in a complaint.
The hotel itself was ok...staff at the pool side bar came and went so often had to make the walk to the beach bar just for a glass of water...the smell around the hotel was not too good and sittin at the beach bar in the evenings it was unpleasant. The entertainment was in german and was not constant. Food was ok but cold breakfast every day...cheeky that u have to pay for the sunbeds on the beach !!!! Rooms were nice and to be honest they were cleaned everyday.
Make sure when booking this hotel that u r in Alfa Beach and not Alfa Hotel as they will charge u more money when u get there...this did not only happen to us but other people who arrived when we did and after we did.( do not book special offer annex room)
some will tell u that they r sister hotels and others will deny this !!!!
They really do need to clean out the swimming pool as there was so much sand at the bottom and I did not see the pool cleaned once.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank twright1963
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Not much to do at night except drink cocktails and listen to the sound of the Med lapping the shore, cheer up, your on holiday! If you want a break from the grind with good food and friendly staff in a quiet location by the beach this is for you. Good AI program but you do have to pay for sunbeds and aircon isn't turned on till 1st July. There are shops around the corner if you want a change of scenery and the bus stop is at the front of the hotel to take you to Lindos/Rhodes for 7 euros return. All in it's a good hotel with great staff to help you if you have a problem, Enjoy!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family