“Great hotel in quiet location ”
Review of Alfa Beach Hotel

Alfa Beach Hotel
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in quiet location ”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel it's very nice, by the sea, has its own beach. Its in quiet location, 10-15min to Kolymbia high street, but if u looking for peace, its the place to be.
Taxi from Rhodes airport cost €37.

Down sides are:
1.This hotel is more for german tourists, everything in German language: entertainment at night, tv channels, tours, instructions & directions in hotel.
2. Food isn't great or fresh at all. Not much choice.

Gym was still closed. They said the season just starting so its not ready...

But overall i enjoyed my stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Vilmante777
Alfa H, Guest Relations Manager at Alfa Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review and I am very pleased that you had a nice relaxing holiday. At Alfa Beach we have a number of nationalities enjoying their holidays with us. A German tour operator has a contract to provide entertainment for their guests, however the animation team speak excellent English and all guests at Alfa Beach are welcome to join in with all the activities. This year we are providing a gym for our guests to enjoy and I can only apologise for it not being ready in time for you to use. We are waiting for a few more pieces of equipment and the last air condition units, then it will be ready.

Thank you very much for taking your time to review Alfa Beach. All the best!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Göttingen, Deutschland
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We (four people from Germany) stayed at the hotel for a week in early August 2013. A nicely looking, rather new hotel (although the entire section of this town seems to have been built recently - all postcards from the area just show a lot of empty space). Upon arriving around 21:00, we were greeted with a late, off-schedule dinner.

The rooms
We stayed in a "family room superior", which includes a double bed in the balcony section of the room and two separate beds in the door section (with a matte glass wall in between) and a larger bathroom than the regular family room. One problem with this type of room is that if you want to keep the separator door closed at night, the balcony side section of the room can become unpleasantly hot because the AC unit is in the other section (and the air outside is too hot as well). The room was slightly below ground level, so there sometimes was a slight "basement smell".

The food
The all-inclusive package includes three all-you-can-eat (though sometimes they run out of something you'd like) meals a day. The selection was mostly similar every day, with some slight variation (there was a cuisine theme from a certain country every day). Nothing spectacular but solid. The waiters are always around to provide drink refills. At one time, though, I found a fairly large cockroach right near our table. The staff removed it upon request (I haven't seen any more since).

The drinks
The all-inclusive package offers a selection of free drinks until 23:30. The free drinks are on the cheaper side but enjoyable. There is a bar in the lobby, one at the pool and one near the beach (the latter sometimes offered some nice off-menu cocktails, if the right bartender was working).

The beach
The hotel has its own piece of the beach attached to it. Unfortunately, the beach is rocky (seems to be the case for most of Rhodes), so you have to rent one of those elevated beds (which were 5 or 7 EUR a day per person, not sure anymore). Further up and down the beach there are shops that sell water sports activities such as jet ski and parasailing.

The entertainment
All of animation was provided by Alltours. There were sports activities such as darts or beach ball during the day. I found the evening program rather boring and uninspired (or maybe it was intended for children). The evening animation was also German-only and useless to non-German speakers. There is a building with a pool and an air hockey tables, along with some of those "try to pull a toy out" machines.

Other things
- There is a pool and a shop inside the hotel.
- Unfortunately, there is no gym, although there are some kind of group fitness classes.
- Kolimbia itself is a bit secluded but there are buses going to other town every day.
- There is the usual selection of tourist shops along the promenade.

- A personal mishap: the Greeks seem to enjoy having slight floor altitude changes (about 3-5 cm) from room to room (e.g. when entering your hotel room's bathroom), resulting in sometimes hard to see steps. Although some of them are marked with yellow tape, coming from the outside into the lobby (and wearing sunglasses), I managed to stub my left big toe (almost half a year later I can still feel the injury if I bend that toe too much).

Conclusion:
All in all an enjoyable vacation. A few glitches here and there, but nothing that would spoil the fun. The hotel seems to be rather family-oriented, younger singles and couples might find it a bit boring (I heard Lindos is the place to go in such cases).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank captain_keelhaul
Alfa H, Guest Relations Manager at Alfa Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you very much for your detailed review. We are very pleased that you and your family had a good holiday at Alfa Beach Hotel. I am very glad that in general you were satisfied with our facilities and the service of our staff. I am glad you took the opportunity to explore the island and I am sure you agree that Kolymbia is conveniently situated to do this.
Once again, thank you for taking your time to send this feedback and wishing a Happy 2014 to you and your family. All the best!
North lincolnshire
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at the Alpha Beach Hotel (25th Aug- 1st Sept) after being told our rooms had been double booked at The Lydia Maris Hotel around the corner. We arrived very early in the morning as a large party (including my parents, sister, her boyfriend, my boyfriend and my gran) and were greeted by the lovely reception staff who made us feel very welcomed.

The exterior of the hotel was absolutely gorgeous, a view to be had in most directions you turned. The pool area was lovely, again very clean, with enough sun beds for all (we managed to get 7 next to each other every day!) and you didn't feel like you were packed in tight like sardines- as I have felt in other hotels. The pool itself was lovely, deep enough to jump in and big enough to accommodate everyone at the hotel.

The rooms were spacious and very clean, the cleaners came round every day without fail. The only (slight) downside to the room was that the air conditioning was fairly weak and took a few hours to feel as though it was making a difference. I think this was partly due to it being placed above the door, which was set back away from the bed.

The food was lovely, myself and my sister are vegetarians (which can sometimes be a struggle when in all inclusive hotels) but there was always plenty of options and I actually looked forward to meal times. The drinks were good, a nice touch to have cocktails for free! It was also nice to have 3 different bars to go to at various points of the day.

At our time of visiting, there were only 2 other British couples at the hotel, which wasn't an issue for us as we were already travelling in a big group. However I can see how that might be slightly off putting if you are only travelling as a couple. The German reps do go to great effort of ensuring they include everybody that is partaking in an activity by speaking in English, however night time entertainment is in German (again they are German reps- what do you expect?).

Overall the best thing I felt about the hotel was the staff. They would always talk to you, have a laugh and a joke, and had the attitude that nothing was too much trouble. From the youngest of 17yrs old to the oldest of 74, we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay and are grateful to all the staff for making our 1 week stay so pleasant.

5 Thank Emmalhartley1
Alfa H, Guest Relations Manager at Alfa Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you so much for your review of Alfa Beach Hotel. Everyone at Alfa Beach are so pleased that you and all of your family had a good time whilst staying with us. I am especially pleased with your kind comments about our staff. Even though Alfa Beach is a fairly large hotel our staff try very hard to still give that 'personal touch'. They work very hard, especially during high season in the heat, so I am very pleased with your feedback and will pass it on to them, which I know they will really appreciate.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed the variety and the quality of the food in our restaurant, and that we provided variety for all of your family and friends to enjoy.
The animation team that we have at Alfa Beach is actually provided by the German agency for their guests but as you rightly said ALL guests at the hotel are encouraged to enjoy the activities they provide and they do try hard to speak in English as much as possible.
Lastly, I would like to thank you for taking your time to send such a detailed and genuine review of our hotel. All reviews are very helpful for us to improve our facilities and services that we provide for our guests but above all, it pleases us when we know our guests have left Alfa Beach Hotel with happy holiday memories. All the best to you and your family!
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We (myself, my wife and our 1.5 year old daughter) ended up in Alfa Beach Resort actually accidentally since the tour operator we had booked and paid for another hotel in Faliraki Beach, called us and said that they had to rebook us in Alfa Beach and this was the last room 1 day before out trip. (the one at the seaside Alfa Beach hotel belongs to the same owners but its on the other side of the road and I have no idea about it. )

So we were a bit irritated but lowered our expectancy and took whatever they gave us. Upon arrival (in august) we were met at the reception by Anastasia, a middle aged lady with a big smile and serious eyes and were given our room which neither had sea view nor pool and it was at the ground floor (1 floor below reception) she suggested that before we got further irritated we should see the room and come back if we didn't like. Her attitude was so assuring and relaxed that we said ok and found out throughout our stay that the room was both cooler than the top floor rooms which must be baking under the august sun and 'silent' on top of being very short distance to pool, beach and the restaurant.

I had read the comments about some of the staff but nothing like that. they all are very polite, they speak good english and very helpful and sympathetic. Reception became one of our daily stops to chat with the staff who we almost became friends in a cpl of days. They even arranged haircut for me, a girl came and gave a me a beautiful haircut in my room , without speaking one word of english and did a great job.

We had an all inclusive plan, lots of food but the variety was not great. Don't expect great Greek food also but again there was something for everybody. Service staff is very efficient, smiling and proffessional.

Guests were a definite mix of all nationalities may be a bit more Russians then others but no dominating nationality as such.

Beach is a bit stony and a bit crowded, and yes they charge around 8 euros for an umbrealla and 2 sunbeds but at least that stops people from the very irritating habit of reserving seats early in the morning. THere is a good midsize pool, with a kid extension which is more than enough to play and cool down.

Kolimbia is not one of the best best beaches in Rhodes but definitely beter than Faliraki and others for families and we drove to a great beach with crystal clear waters and all facilities nearby., 20 min drive to south, Vylicha beach.

And when you really want Greek food, stop by Taverna Manolis in the shopping street of Kolimbia village and enjoy the great food, very friendly service and good prices.

Room Tip: MAke sure you try to get a cooller room in the hot days of summer. AC is working ok but takes time t...
3 Thank GokhanOzkan
Thank you very much for your review of Alfa Beach Hotel. I am very pleased that you were pleasantly surprised when you arrived at our hotel. I understand that you must have been a little irritated by the time you arrived at Alfa Beach but I am pleased that our staff (especially Anastasia) were able to put your mind at rest and you then continued to have an enjoyable holiday. I am glad you also took the opportunity to explore a little of our beautiful island.
Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel and I will pass your kind comments on to our staff which they will really appreciate. All the best to you!
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I went to this hotel in May 2013. I travelled alone and so picked the hotel from description on hotel website which said hotel had day and night time activities and so perfect for what I wanted from a solo holiday.
The transfer from the airport to hotel went without me and had to go on a Thomson coach transfer.
First impressions on arrival were, oh no this is very quiet. was expecting a bustly hotel with some English guests at least.
The hotel itself is lovely but the guests were all German, no other English. the 2 barstaff (one day and one night) and restaurant and reception staff were English speaking which helped. The weather was fantastic in May and came home very brown with a tan that lasted at least a month.
First impressions on arrival were, oh no this is very quiet (a bit too quiet for most of the week being the only English guest). Chatted with English guests on the transfer there going to Pefkos and Rhodes etc and was a slight shock when arrived at this hotel as it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere with nobody else arriving at the same time as me. There wasn't that much surrounding the hotel but a 5 minute walk up the road there were shops and bars but the area was very quiet (Kolymbia). The hotel said it was the start of the season and this was their explanation for lack of day time and evening/night activities. No entertainment at all. A shame as they have a big amphitheatre for performance on the way down to the beach which looked like it could have been really great "in season". Also on walks around the area, other hotels had started their activities and I could hear live music and activities playing out loud, especially in Thomson hotels. I booked this with a teletext company (will stick with Thomson and Thomas Cook/Olympia etc in future).
Give staff 7/10 for making some effort to make my stay more enjoyable, even though the lack of activity made it quite a long week for me,though ended up having some fun and got to know the staff and had a good laugh with them by about day 5.
The food was average with fair amount of choice breakfast, lunch and dinner. No snacks. Beach bar was closed (start of season again!).
The room was pleasant enough but lack of air conditioning (due to start of season!) made sleeping pretty hard at night.
Pool area was adequate and beach looked lovely but distance to hotel and facilities and no beach bar made it less attractive. Mostly stayed pool and bar area. Lack of entertainment for a 4 star beach hotel was huge disappointment.
All in all I would not recommend this hotel to English guests unless travelling with huge party and would go in June or later if you want any activity or entertainment during your stay.
Plus point: There is a bus stop directly outside the front of the hotel to take you to Rhodes Town and Lindos which are both places I would recommend to see while in Rhodes. Faliraki is fairly nearby if you want a lively night out. All in all, Rhodes is a great place to stay if you get the right hotel. On the way back to the airport saw some amazing hotels and there were a lot of English guests on the transfer having stayed in them. Personal disappointment.

Room Tip: Take enough money to pay for air con if staying before June and you will be fine.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Alfa H, Guest Relations Manager at Alfa Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Alfa Beach Hotel. I am very sorry that your holiday did not completely fulfill your expectations. I am pleased you liked our hotel and the surroundings and yes, the weather was exceptionally gorgeous considering it was so early in the season . We generally have guests from many European countries but at the time you stayed unfortunately we didn’t have guests from the UK but I am glad you found our staff polite and helpful. When we don’t have so many guests it is quite a struggle for the animation team to get people involved without being intrusive especially when they just want a quiet holiday but something we have taken ‘on board’ from your review is to improve entertainment for small numbers of guests either end of the season. Yes, generally Alfa Beach is in an ideal location to visit Rhodes Town, Lindos and other beaches and villages and we are lucky to have good local transport links. Once again, I would like to thank you for your comments and wish you all the best.
Bournemouth
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We just returned from the holidays in Alpha Beach and I wouldn't recommend it.
Normally I wouldn't complain as I realise it wasn't expensive holidays but there basic standards you expect when you go 4 stars hotel. And I didn't even think about asking about air condition or sun beds when booking. And surprise:( we have been told we have to pay extra for it. Good was only June and beginning of their summer, so wasn't boiling at night. It's not possible to keep the window open as mosquitoes would eat as alive ( this is no one's fault of course).
Staff rude and not helpful. Not all of them of course, lovely foreign people, very nice and chatty. Especially the lady in the beach bar;))) and restaurant staff. But manager of reception, God she doesn't know how to keep customers happy. Every time we ask for help we got answer: "I'm not travel agency to sort it", " It's not possible" etc. Have been in different hotels before and never been treated like that. She never offer to try help. Last day when we wanted to pay for late check out as our flight was 4 am next day, she said we can't stay as the cleaner is coming straight after us and clean the room for another guests. She lied as nobody was in this room till we left (about 1 am). Why I don't know, her attitude stank.
Food ok, nothing special and a bit boring but we weren't ever hungry. No snacks between meals. Drinks available all day, not perfect, just cheap as you get in all inclusive bars so ok. . The bar closed at 11:30 and by 11:40 all lights were off so no chance to finish your drink;(
If you book any trip with the hotel you can order pack lunch but if you deiced to organise yourself forget it. You can book the trip with hotel for 20 Euros and will get pack lunch which is already included. We went by bus 3,5 euro and refused to give us food.
There was a funny smell in the room and in swimming pool so we only stayed on the beach. Beautiful beach and great views. And if we didn't have to pay for the sun beds, we wouldn't know how good are hot stones after swim in the sea;) lush!!!!
No atmosphere or fun in this hotel. Full of German people and they weren't friendly. And have to say they were treated like better category. All information in German, animation team and entertainment only for German people so it was boring But even manager told us that we should understand that as 80% of guest are German so is normal they will provide everything for them first. Hmm we fell like outsiders but lucky met some wonderful people and had good time anyway.
Poor cleaning service. Cleaners only change towels and swipe the floor, dirty bathroom and smelly pipes.
I would hardly recommend the Island, beautiful views, fabulous see:) not for snorkeling or diving. Is clear and great for swim but not much to see;)

Room Tip: Well don't know if we can help at all as we made it request for room with separete beds and few...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PelagiaBournemouth
Thank you very much for your review, and we are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your holiday in Rhodes. Most hotels in Greece deal with many different tour operators who include (or don’t include) certain facilities or services in their package and this is reflected in the price. The agreement we have with BWE is that air condition is free of charge from 1 July until the 15th of September and outside of these date the guest is able to choose if they want to pay for air condition or not.
Most beaches in Greece are not private beaches and not owned by the hotels, hence the charge for the sunbeds and umbrellas. However I am very glad that you enjoyed the beach and the clean sea as Kolymbia beach is one of the nicest beaches on the island.
At Alfa Beach, we have German speaking guests and we also have a guests from Britain, Russia, Czech Republic, Poland and other European countries. I would like to stress though that the animation is actually provided by a German operator for their guests, not by our hotel. However, all other guests at Alfa Beach are welcome to use the animation and entertainment free of charge. The team, although they are German, do speak English and when they have a mixture of nationalities taking part in activities eg. beach volley, aerobics etc. they make an effort to also explain in English. I can only apologise that this wasn’t clarified during your stay.
At Alfa Beach we like to think that we have a good standard of staff service and your comments on a member of our staff surprised us but I would like to assure you that this has been investigated and dealt with. So, I thank you for that.
Generally, I would like to thank you for bringing certain things to our attention and also I hope I have clarified other misunderstandings. Often, comments on reviews help us turn negatives into positives and I would like to assure you that everything you have said has been ‘taken on board’.
Lastly, I would like once again, to thank you for taking your time for reviewing Alfa Beach Hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Kolimbia hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We are an English family, recently returned from a weeks holiday at The Alpha Beach Hotel. There are several reviews on here regarding people arriving at the hotel, only to be told that they were booked in at the Alpha Hotel which is over the road, and is a 3* hotel. After myself booking what was described as 'special offer room' in the 'annex' of the Alpha Beach Hotel, I was very worried about these reviews, and took this up with the travel provider. Luckily, they agreed that their advert had been misleading, and that there was nothing to suggest that were were booked into anywhere but Alpha Beach, and so they covered the extra cost for us to be booked into Alpha Beach. In my opinnion, this is the fault of the travel companies for placing mis-leading adverts, and not the fault of the hotel, so I think that it is unfair to rate the hotel itself badly, and as long as you ask the correct questions when booking, I believe you will have a lovely holiday!

Re the hotel itself, it was clean, the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you, the food was fantastic (and my other half is a body builder and is very fussy about his diet), and there was plenty of choice and the dishes varied every day. The hotel catered very well for the different nationalities, and there was always something for everyone! The all inclusive drinks were tasty and not watered down like some other All Inclusive resports I have been to.

We were the only English family at the hotel when we stayed, but this didn't bother us. My 6 year onld made lots of friends, and everyone was very friendly. The main population were German, and so the entertainment was geared towards them, but that didn't stop my little boy joining in with the kids disco each night!

There are various busses which stop at the hotels bus stop which means that the whole of Rhodes is available to you with relative ease!

The air con here is free in peak season which is good, as a lot of hotels which I have been to ask you to pay. You have a hand held control in your room which you can turn up and down, on and off as you please.

We had a really lovely holiday here, and I genuinely think that some of the recent bad reviews are unfair.

Room Tip: We were booked into a 'Quad' room with a garden view, but the view wasn't great aty all...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family