“Overbooked”
Review of Hotel Anavadia

Hotel Anavadia
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We arrived at the hotel only to told they where overbooked we where moved to another hotel for 3nights and given a car for 2 days .When we arrived back at the hotel our rooms where not ready,after reading reviews the food was not as we expected ,(cold and bland the soup was ok ) The bar was very quiet and could have had some music .We preferred the entertainment in the first hotel .We ate out 2 of the 4nights and would recommend Micheals taverna.and Palazzo down the road,.we enjoyed Vasillis for the football .We will not return to Anavadia

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kenvalwaterhouse

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel appears to be a new build, newly painted and spotless - and the shower was fantastic.
I hear they are extending the hotel next year to include another pool.
The hotel is slightly away from the sea, I would allow a good 20 minutes walk and 30 minutes to the small port that offers a sheltered sandy beach.

Overall the experience was ok, staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were cleaned everyday.

However, this was an inclusive hotel and sadly the food on offer was awful.
Breakfast was probably the best, but that was only because it had tinned fruit and bananas.
But the rest of the food was very dry, processed, canned or floating in oil. The classic was the lasagna made out of spaghetti, mince and yesterdays beef. And dessert was blancmange & jelly.
We also had the honor of trying out luminous pink and yellow ice cream!

However, I did not starve as we did find a fantastic (but cheap) restaurant overlooking the ocean by the small port. I highly recommend you visit Limanaki Restaurant Kolympia - fabulous sea food, Greek food, wine, view and service.

Room Tip: I would suggest you pick one of the new ones built furthest away - bit of a walk, but they are less...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Not sure where all of the good reviews are coming from - they must be reviews on a different hotel altogether!?

General feel for the hotel was flat, there was no atmosphere whatsoever, it felt empty and that wasn't due to the lack of people! Rooms were very basic, which is fine, however hard beds, leaking showers, not very clean and shoddy fixtures and fittings are not expected for a 4.5* rated hotel.

Food was so poor - the thought of it now is making me feel slightly nauseous. Overcooked fatty meats, starchy pastas and mayonnaise covered frozen veg!? The most decent thing there was the Greek salad which tasted like it had been sat around for a couple of days. I was expecting fresh Greek cuisine and we were given cheap and unacceptable hospital-like food. A lot of extra cash was spent on eating out. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but all inclusive should mean bar snacks, free drinks all day and night...no...breakfast was 8-9.30 (not worth getting up for), lunch 12.30-2, then ice cream and stale biscuits?? Are we back at school! Dinner was 6.30-9. POOR POOR POOR!!

I honestly couldn't wait to get home, by day 4/5 I just wanted to leave. Call me overdramatic but I would have happily paid a bit extra if I thought it was going to be that crappy. We were after a quiet holiday as we wanted to chill out but it just felt dead. Its only a small hotel but all rooms were full, this meant it was difficult to find a seat when dining and sunbeds were always full. This was out of season so I dread to think where people park their bums in the main summer months.

My honest advise would be spend an extra £100 per person and save yourself some money on eating out the entire week, because if you stay here you will be eating out breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Rhodes is beautiful as is the Island! If you stay in Kolimbia you will need to travel for a sandy beach as they are all shingle. People on the Island are very friendly and it is definitely worth visiting. There are shops and buildings half built/derelict but if you haven't heard about the recession by now then who knows!

I travelled with my other half and we are mid-twenties, so if you are after nice food/drinks and a chilled out time I would recommend Kolimbia, just not this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money staying here, there are plenty of other nice hotels near by!
2  Thank Jen_8804
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Hi all,

me and my girlfriend visited the Anavadia and arrived back yesterday. We booked through Secret escapes 3 weeks before flying for around the £500 mark each.

flew via olympic holidays which in all honesty wouldn't again. lied about coach transfer times. said 30 mins. arrival was near an hour and return to airport was 2 and a half due to 15 more hotel pick ups.

The hotel pictures are 4-5 years old and but the looks of the hotel it hasn't had a lick of paint since. we first got put in the NEW block room 604. which looks disgusting feels disgusting and in all honestly feel like your just pushed away from the hotel. room floor was dirty, hairs everywhere no toilet roll, old socks in the drawer from a previous holiday maker, shower was wonky, overall finish was appalling and to round it off the bathroom door handle fell off meaning it couldn't be shut. after complaining we were moved into 211. that room was actually a lot better but overall finish was still appaling. rooms were cleaned daily but given towels with various stains on wasn't really a nice touch. oh and the shower in the new room was TINY. my gf is 5ft 2 and 8 stone and she was banging her elbows on the walls. I found it ridiculous so ended up having baths instead.

Now on to the food. Its vile, overcooked, and so repetitive that I cant actually remember food so bad in a hotel ive stayed in ever.

breakfast was fatty bacon, watery scrambled egg, sausages you would buy from a chip shop and other concoctions that the hotel decided to make up,

dinner and evening meal was just as bad. stewed steak, rock hard chicken, frozen vegetables and some honestly vile looking trays. might I add theyre were 8 trays to choose from. and desert was jelly, angel delight and watermelon. pretty much every day.

also they say its an all inclusive but there is no food from 9.30-12.30 and only icecream and biscuits from 2-6.30. I actually thought I was at an old peoples home/hospital.

we ate out 6 nights out of 7 in the various restaurants and spent as much time away from the hospital/retirement home as possible.

the pool was actually freezing too. never a problem to get sunbeds if your up at the crack of dawn and the drinks were terrible. coke was syrup and fizz along with everything else. all alcohol was watered down. only thing that tasted normal was the ouzo.

all in all the RHODES island is beautiful, run down in places but its expected. we visited Rhodes town it was lovely. we made friends with another 2 couples and we actually spent a day in there hotel on the last day which was called Club Atlantica Aegean Blue. its about 10 mins from anavadia and it is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above. if we knew for the fact of paying an extra £100 each we would of stayed there instead as we spend over £300 Euros on eating and drinking out. theyre was atmosphere. food all day and actually catered for your needs.

Overall summary. Hotel is stale, Food is stale, rooms are poor, beds are rock hard, staff are pretty miserable and don't seem like they care in the slightest. definitely go to KOLYMBIA/RHODES Just not that hotel. claims to be 4 star. HOW I DO NOT KNOW. 2/3* at most.

vasillis bar round the corner is brilliant for sport and very strong drinks and hes a really nice guy. some good restaurants in and around kolymbia town too.

Room Tip: stay well away from every single one of them
1  Thank jamesnffc
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed at the Anavadia last June (but have only just opened a trip advisor account) and I have to say it was brilliant.

We arrived at near enough midnight and the staff were friendly, helpful and quickly checked us in. The room was a good size, modern and very clean, with a lovely balcony that overlooked the mountains. The bathroom was immaculate and yes, the shower was a bit on the small side but we coped. You also had the added luxury of a bath.

The pool area was great, with plenty of available sun loungers and the pool was kept clean. There wasn't much variety with regards to the food in the restaurant but that's what we expected for an inexpensive all-inclusive. Breakfast was the best meal of the day and well worth getting up for!

What we loved most was the friendly, intimate atmosphere of the hotel. By the first night, we had already become friends with most of the guests staying at the resort. We then went off exploring with them as a group and it just added to the experience. There was a great bus service that took you to Rhodes and Lindos so you can get out and explore.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel. It was clean, friendly and the staff were brilliant! Super value!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank GenH16
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here just over a week ago, the hotel itself was lovely, clean in all areas, lovely pool and a very relaxing atmosphere, never had any issues getting sun beds, no one resevered them as there always seemed to be plenty. Staff were always friendly and helpful and did whatever they could to help. I liked the fact that there was no cheesy entertainment which alos meant no children making it great for peace and quiet and relaxation.

Pool was lovely, never too busy and yes it was cold but it was so hot it was always welcome to have a dip in the nice cool pool in the heat of the day, it' certainly didn't stop me going for a swim every day :)

The rooms were spacious and tidy, my only issue was with the small shower, now I'm 5'4 female and weigh 9st and I found it small so not sure how anyone any bigger than me would cope!
The view from our room was lovely, I've seen previous reviews where someone complained about the boring view of the mountains! haha if you don't want to see mountains then don't stay in Kolymbia as it is pretty much surrounded by them! Not really much the hotel can do about them anyway, they are pretty much a permanent feature but I thought it was lovely waking up and sitting on the balcony with a view of the mountains.

So the food, for me it was ok and I always managed to put a meal together, it wasn't the best food I've ever eaten but I didn't expect it to be, my issue was that it was all very samey, one day would be one menu of stuff and the next day a different menu and then it would repeat so a week long holiday the food became very boring but there is a lovely taverna less than a 5 min walk so we ate out a few times. My boyfriend didn't enjoy the food at all and didn't enjoy one meal he had at the hotel. I would say the meet isn't great quality at all and they tend to over cook it so it ends up being dry and unedible.

The location of the hotel was perfect for exploring the island of Rhodes, not too far from both Lindos and Rhodes, a great base, for me Kolymbia is perfect, not too much but just enough, only one main road with all the shops, bars and retaurants on and more than enough beaches to choose from at the end of that road.

Would we stay again, it is a lovely hotel and the relaxed feel but the food would prevent me from staying again, if I had the option of cheaper price that wasn't all inclusive I would but that isn't an option so it's a no from me, if the food was improved I would and it would defo be a 5 star review from me.

I would however definately stay in Kolymbia again, was lovely.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back block of the main hotel face the mountains and have a lovely view.
2  Thank Dawnrc
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We have just returned from a really lovely holiday at this hotel
In kolymbia on Rhodes island. The family room was great, spacious with a lovely terrace and a spa bath! The staff were all amazingly friendly and helpful and the chef was really helpful with helping me identify what I could eat (I have Coeliacs disease). Food choices were great on the whole and we definitely were not hungry!!! The location is great if you want to visit Lindos or Rhodes town and easy to get around using the local buses. My only Only criticisms would be that the pool was very cold and the all inclusive drinks seemed somewhat watered down. Met some lovely people though and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank PolkaDotPictures
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
#8 of 15 in Kiotari
Golden Odyssey Kolimbia
Golden Odyssey Kolimbia
#12 of 34 in Kolimbia

Been to Hotel Anavadia? Share your experiences!