“FABULOUS HOLIDAY !!”

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
LEICESTER
“FABULOUS HOLIDAY !!”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We are just back from Rhodes Holiday Village where we had the best time. We went with high expectations for our Deluxe Family Room in the Deluxe area of the hotel and we were very pleased with what we got. We too were greeted with sparkling wine on arrival the kids aged 3 and 7 were hi fived by all the waiters they loved this. The food and all 3 restaurants were amazing the staff were great the greek grill is the best 7 courses for starter save some room for main and dessert !! one thing though for booking into the greek grill and the Italian restaurants they are available for booking 3 days in advance but when we tried to book they were always full as they were so popular, so we asked at reception how do we get booked into one they said it would be best to book at 8am or when you go for breakfast as this is when the next day becomes available for booking this is done on a touch screen computer that print off a ticket that you need to take with you for your meal. You will also see the same restaurant with 1 and 2 next to them this is 1 for early sitting around 7pm and 2 for late sitting around 9pm. We managed each restaurant twice but the Greek Grill was our favourite.
The kids activities are brilliant and we had no trouble booking in our son tried so many things he had never done before and loved the high ropes.
This is a great place to go one of the best family holidays we have had we would return wish we were still there now !!!

2 Thank ilovemyholidays90

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We're just back from Holiday Village Rhodes and i've never written a review on a holiday before but because this holiday was so fab i felt i had to. The welcome we got from Nikos when we arrived was so cheerful even though we arrived at 4.30am an he made that much of an impression my kids aged 7 and 5 had to give him a hi 5 every night before they went to bed. The room was perfect and so clean thanks to our lovely cleaner Georgia and the restaurant food was excellent, great choices and the staff were always smiling and made us feel very welcome. The first choice staff and entertainment team made our holiday as the kids we're kept enterained which meant we could also enjoy our holiday so thanks to all of them . I would recomment the Holiday Village to any family it was our best holiday to date I could honestly not fault it in anyway and we will def be returning.

2 Thank muthaof2
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I travelled to Rhodes with my 2 children aged 7 and 8 for 2 weeks in early July 2011. My kids fell in love with Alex the lion and the waterpark from the brochure. I have travelled with First Choice a few times and have been very happy with them but this was the first time in a holiday village. I usually choose a bed and breakfast or half board holiday so gulped slightly at the price but I now believe it was worth every penny.

From the check in, where we were greeted with champagne and orange juice and had our luggage taken for us, we were treated with respect by friendly staff who could not have done more to help us. As a single mum travelling with 2 young kids I felt secure and looked after from the start.

I stayed in the Activity Village with a room on the edge of one of the many pools. We usually managed to get a sunbed right outside our room and had the sun for most of the day. It was the best kind of room as the swim up rooms only had partial sun in the morning. We had a heatwave when we were there and even the staff were mentioning how hot it was, but coming from cold Scotland I loved it!

Both my children loved the Kids' Club and the staff were very pleasant. Their programme was varied and my son went to almost every activity they had to offer.

The entertainment team were so enthusiastic and always smiling and bubbly. The shows they put together were fun and we enjoyed watching them. We also loved the dancing and the games.Some of the entertainment like tribute bands etc was not really our cup of tea but it just meant I got the kids to bed before 11 on a few days so that was fine!

We had great fun in the waterpark. I especially enjoyed the Lazy River and my kids loved the pirate ship and the twisty slide. However, my kids were gutted that they could not go on the larger 3 slides - even with an adult - it was not mentioned in the brochure that you had to be over 10.

As my kids are both competent swimmers i was thrilled to enrol them in a Rookie Lifesaving course where they learned lots and enjoyed themselves doing it.

My daughter is a footie fanatic and I signed her up for the football academy. She adored the 2 coaches - Mark and Steve - and they made her feel very special and she said this was the best part of the holiday.

You can do the High ropes from aged 6 but it depends on your size and build, and if your child is under 9 they need an adult to do it with them - much to my dismay! Although my daughter is 7 she was too small a frame for the harnesses and was not allowed to do it. My son whizzed around in about 20 minutes where as I took around 90 minutes in the burning heat. I hated it. My son loved it.

I was particularly worried the food might not be up to much as I had heard some horror stories about being stuck on an all inclusive holiday and having to pay for meals out because the food was so bad but I could not have been more wrong.We ate in the buffet every day and the food was varied and of a very high quality. They had theme nights too such as Asian night with some of the best Aromatic crispy duck I have ever tasted. I cannot stress how much choice there was from fried food to vege to health to continental to catering for fussy kids. The staff there were also very friendly and always made time for you to chat. It was so good that we didn't bother going to the other restaurants for dinner. For lunch we went to La Taverne where we were able to get a tasty snack lunch. i especially enjoyed the chicken solvaki.

One day we went to the beach which is a short walk from the hotel. We were able to collect a packed lunch to take with us which consisted of sandwiches, water, juice, salad, fruit and crisps. The nearest beach was very pebbly, very hot on your feet and VERY BUSY. A sunbed cost 7 Euros. There were a few watersports available. We lasted about an hour before returning to our warm pool.

The mini-market was well stocked and had lots of games, clothes and inflatables to choose from.

It was a fab holiday and the kids are demanding that we go back when they are old enough to go on the bigger slides! I thoroughly recommend it to families.

Room Tip: i loved our room on the activity side on the ground floor, on the edge of a pool with a sunbed right...
6 Thank scotmumoftwo
UK
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We travelled as a group of 8 (two families with kids aged 9, 10 and 11) and returned yesterday.
We booked this holiday over a year ago and decided to go for the best available, staying in a family swim up room in the Deluxe area of the resort, which we worked out was approx £600-£700 extra per family and I have to say was worth every penny.
As a guest in this area you have use of the Cosmopolitan restaurant at breakfast and dinner (which is waiter service) and this alone is worth the extra money. We tried the main restaurant at lunch once and found that there was a good variety of food, but it was very much like a school canteen and you had to queue for a table. We tried both the a la carte restaurants, the Greek was very good (as you'd expect) but we found the service at the Italian very slow even though there were only a few tables being served, and the food wasn't very Italian, we had expected more pasta dishes (there was only one salmon one) and they ran out of dessert. It wasn't a patch on the Cosmopolitan which has a different menu every night, and often has themed nights (our favourite being the Asian night).
The evening entertainment is very much 'Holiday Camp' style starting with Bingo, then kids games, a show of some kind and finishing with dances that everyone learns throughout the holiday. Our kids wern't fans of the Widgets (puppets aimed at the younger ones) or the Loose Chippings (superheros which also seemed to be aimed at the under 8's) as it was very babyish, but they did love doing the dances at the end. There is plenty going on at the kids clubs with an evening session from 9pm - 11pm, but this means the kids miss the dance party at 10.30pm which put our kids off. When they did attend, we asked to collect them early so they could join in, but it would be much better if the session ran from 8.30pm - 10.30pm. Some of the on site entertainment team shows are very good, the Rock Theatre being the best. Of the visiting acts, the Magician was good, but there were two english guys that were singing to backing tracks that were pretty awful - one was so off key it was painful to listen to and we made a swift exit.
Daytime entertainment includes plenty of things for all ages, from a daily quiz to archery, volleyball, aquafit, water polo and football. The high ropes are great too, and don't miss the 'Splashathon' which is lots of fun. If you are particularly active, seek out Frankie who will give you a good game of volleyball! You also have the water park which our kids loved, and the table tennis, pool tables and air hockey (1 euro) in the sports bar.
One thing that is completely under used and under rated is the Adult bar, it's on the relax side but is open to all guests, and if you are in the deluxe area you can see your rooms from here. The cocktails are particularly good here and there is entertainment a few nights a week, plus they have just started a weekly adult poker session (Texas Hold 'em) which is nice to play in air conditioned comfort.
Overall, we found the holiday fantastic and would definately consider returning. Certain members of staff made it special for us - George and Vaios in the Cosmopolitan, Frankie in the activity team (this girl deserves a promotion, she really should be running the team), Shep & Shaun for their endless energy, Ross for his enthusiasm, we could go on........
We are well travelled and have stayed in similar places before but would rate this hotel as a good family four star rather than a five star.

Room Tip: Book a swim up room in the deluxe area to get the sun in the afternoon
6 Thank CSLrevisited
Tottington
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Have just returned from Holiday Village having spent 10 days there with my wife and 5 year old daughter.
Greeted by very freindly staff who took all our cases to our room for us and had made some food available to us all even though it was quite late. Check in was very quick
The hotel itself is excellent. Being only a year old, the rooms are very nicely done with a large bathroom with modern fittings. Seperate free standing shower.
2 very large comfy beds and plenty of pillows, tons of storage space. Glass balcony was lovely etc
Room was thoroughly cleaned every day.
We were on the activity side and the pool areas were fantastic. really clean and not overcrowed as there are so many pools.
Kids clubs were really well run and they did loads of activities with them. My daugher had a great time at the teddy bears picnic and the chocolate party.
We mainly had the buffet food which was good. I have had a lot better but i've also had a lot worse. We did go to the greek grill one night which again was good and a nice change
The entertainment team are brilliant. There is a show every night (The show is aimed at kids as is the whole hotel) which my daughter loved. All the kids go to the front of the stage and watch in awe.
They also work hard all day. They only seem to get 1 day off a week!
We hired a car for 3 dasy and got out to Rhodes town (very busy), Tsambika beach (5 mins away and really nice) and went to Lindos. Busy but very nice.(do the donkey ride)
For anyone with a sense of adventure you can walk up the steep hill behind the hotel to the small chapel on top. You wil need sturdy trainers and a large bottle of water. Takes about an hour. There is a rocky path all the way to the top. Views are fantastic from up there. I went up twice. If you have a car you can drive near the top then walk the last 300 steps. It is well worth it.
The water park is great. Never crowded with lifeguards always on.

Gripes:
Forget the local beach. Very pebbly
Steep prices outside the complex. We went for a few drinks at a local bar one night and it was more expensive than the UK. probably due in part to the financial difficulties Greece is in.
Sunbed issues. We had read the negatives about people reserving sunbeds at the crack of dawn and we had the same problems when we were in Aruba last year. First couple of days, all sunbeds by 8am were gone a day or 2 later 50 sunbeds had gone the evening before!!! I believe that someone rightly complained and all the towels were removed and people had to sheepishly go to reception to ask for their towel back. A note was then pust under everyones door to ask people not to reserve before 8am which did solve the problem, so well done First Choice and Hotel staff for doing something about it.
Activity side can get a bit much after a week. Constant noise and music being played around the pool. It was nice to get out for a bit of quiet. Relax side is quieter.
Although the staff were excellent they could maybe do with a few more waiters etc. A pool service would be nice and at night there were a few occasions when we weren't brought drinks and plates not cleared away etc.

Overall this is great hotel if you have children.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Just returned were there between 7/21st july. Two adult one child (15)
Best holiday weve had bar none.
Best holiday village ,weve been to spain (very good) and the old lanzerote(not bad) but this wins hands down.
After speaking with other guests who been to others every single one says its the best one, not one guest had a bad word to say about the place.
not a cloud in sky,averaged 33 degs but hotter on a couple of days.
Rooms small but nice, swim ups are nice but we like to sit round main pools and if your swim ups in shade then prob not worth the extra.
There are relax area and activity area both are excellent, the relax has fantastic swim up bar and activity is where most of the daytime stuff goes on. Only a short walk between them and personally liked relax better.
The place is excellent quality, true 5 star.
food is excellent and varied. Even the daytime snacks are the local pork kebabs(gyros) or chicken /pork skewers(souvlaki) both beautiful and nice alternative to toastie or burger. Alternativley full buffet restaurant open breakfast lunch and dinner. The food is fantastic.
pools are beatiful and the splashpark a nice touch with 3 large waterslides and a lazy river which you just float round in supplied rubber rings. No problem getting sunbeds which are very comfy with plenty of muc needed umberellas as the weather is scorching.
Entertainment is the usual family based stuff however there is an adult only bar if you can get shut of kids in one of the many kids clubs. The adult bar is very classy, fully air conditioned or terrace and full waiter service with complimentary nuts etc. If not there are other nice areas to sit with a beer if the entertainment is not your thing.
Champagne arrival and bottled water to help you as you leave, just a couple of the little touches that add up.
The staff are the friendliest weve met, continually making a fuss of you. This for me makes a big difference, you really do feel welcomed.
i do not believe the odd bad revue this place might get, some people just love to moan and will find something in anything. We, and everyone else we spoke to, could not find a single fault. Just about everyone seemed to be considering returning. It will certainly take some beating.
I would not hesitate to return to the holiday village rhodes and thank everyone involved for the best holiday weve ever had.

Room Tip: ground floor pool view will get you decent room anywhere on complex. Relax area id recommend
4 Thank Leedslad_11
cornwall
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Was a bit weary about booking this resort as it was specifically for families. My husband and I are both in our late 40's early 50's so going in amongst all those kids when you don't have any yourself can be a bit daunting. We should not have worried.The reason we booked this resort was because we have tried adult only holidays and foreigners seem to get their kids booked in so whereever we booked there was always going to be kids around. It was a new resort (2nd season) and top rated. We ahve been to Rhodes many times and love the area of Kolymbia so took the chance. We are so glad we did. It offers something for every age group, whether you are older or younger, family or just a couple wanting to get away from it all. Please don't hesitate just do it. The amount of fun you will have is outstanding. I think my husband and I were amongst the biggest kids in the adventure park and it is so much fun. The hotel itself is well situated and there are plenty of shops if you go for a short stroll in the evening. It is one of the best hotels and holidays tat we ahve had in a long time and we always go 4/5 star and this is right up there with them. There is entertainment if you want it but just going for a stroll in the evening is all we wanted to do. The food is very good. Choices coming out of your ears although a bit repetative with pasta. Plenty to eat and you won't go hungry. We are both Vegetarian's and always found something to eat and enjoyed what we had. If you go Deluxe whish is what we did you have a sit down off themenu in the evening. We tried this on 2 occasions but prefered the buffet style over in the main dining hall as you could pick and choose what you wanted to eat. Lunch times again you had choices of eating a snack from any of the pool bars, going into the main dining hall for a buffet lunch or just grabing a snack from the snack bar. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The hotel staff are all very friendly as well as all the chefs/cooks and cleaners. The hotel is a very clean and safe environment. We have already booked to go back next year and can't wait for 2012 to arrive.

Room Tip: Book deluxe if you can so you can eat in the area you stay. If not you ahve to walk over to the mai...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pvhammond
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#6 of 34 in Kolimbia
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!