“Great for Children”

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
London, United Kingdom
“Great for Children”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Im going to be frank as possible...I have travelled the World on a Budget and also been fortunate as I have gotton older to experience some beautifull places around the World.

This is not a 5* Hotel, I would say Low end 4*. We stayed at the Activity Side so I cannot comment on the Deluxe Side.
Weather was amazing and the Staff at the holiday Village ( Restaurant and Kids Club Workers) are fantastic.

Everyone has different expectations in life and on holidays so I can only comment on how I feel our holiday was.

Upon entering the hotel at 2am we were offered a glass of Bubbly and found our Room.
Complex seemed Clean and well kept.

Room-Bed was extremley comfortable ( thats a major plus for me) and it was a basic room with Shower and Bath, 2 double beds pushed together and a double for my 6 year old. Rooms cleaned everyday- I tipped our Maid the first day but really didnt make much difference to our stay- We ended up making our beds ourselfs as She just 'puffed the pillows' and took the dirty towels and that was about it.

Dissapointing there was no Tea or Coffee each day- This was an extra charge
Room was nice, The TV had 1 English Channel.

Food- The Main restaurant and some good choices, I personally thought to feed all the people at the complex they do a great job but after day 10 it was very much the 'same old thing' but least I wasnt cooking or washing up! the staff are so friendly and welcoming. They also have a snack Bar which I never eat in nor the Grill restaurant. WQe did try the Italian Restaurant the service was rushed and the food was a 5/10. but this maybe was a bad day for them!

Drinks are as you would expect the Local Variety. Bottles of Water were 3 euros so we walked down the road to the shop which is around 5 mins away and brought Big bottles of water which were cheap to Brush our teeth etc

Main areas- I didnt get biten but saw lots of people with terrible bites, glad I wore mosey replent at night! The toilets in the communal area wernt very clean and the swimming pools wernt 100% clean. The Pirate Ship and Slide area wasnt very clean either. Lots of Wasps!!! Also the worst Sewage smell I have ever Smelt! Everyday around 2pm you would smell it! I heard a few Mums chatting that there children had ear infections caused by the Pool water.

Kids Clubs- There are GREAT! 5 or 6 a day and the guys and girls work so hard with great activityties indoors and out. 10/10! My daughter loved it! The queing system isnt very streamline I had to que up at 9.30 for a 10 am start to confirm a place as there is only 32 place is the morning club! They have themed characters walking around. Very child orintated. Best Kids hotel I have been too.The Bingo in the evening starts at 8am and then entertertainment starts at 8.30pm I felt this was a late start for my 6 year old and didnt stay past 9pm- Personally not my scene and rather sit on my balcony with a wine! It goes on till 11pm and bless them they do try there best on entertaining the adults and kids but every other night is the same.

Sunbeds- The usual Madness in trying to secure a sunbed in the morning! we went 5 days without being able to get one! I used my Lilo instead!

Not many people go to the Gym on holiday but I do! Very basic Gym - equipment didnt work but did me for a few weeks! Spa is extremley expensive- Treatments were slightly more than what I would pay in central London.

The Beach is a 10 min walk but is a bit dirty and full of stones and pebbles.

Caught a Bus to Old Town around 45 mins away and saw some culture and also heard Lindos was beautifull.

Glad we went in June as August was double the price and I would of been very dissapointed in spending that money on the Rhodes Holiday Village

I wouldnt go again but I am glad I experienced it and my daughter LOVED it! Thats what it boils down to- as long as she is having a scream then I could relax and enjoy the Sun!

6 Thank Dannii K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Glasgow
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We have been twice to this holiday village, once to a swim up room and once to a suite with private pool.
Each time was fantastic from beginning to end.
The only reason we are not returning this year is price..my daughter age 13 is now classed as an adult it is too expensive.
The rooms are fitted out with modern furniture and lots of lovely extras. The bathrooms are fitted to a high standard with soap dispensers, shampoo and shower gel. The beds have memory foam mattress and so comfy.
All kept extremely clean by hard working maids.
The pools are kept clean and look like rivers running all around the village. The private pool in the villa spoils you for future holidays though. It was heaven.
Meals are brilliant, anyone who complains are far too fussy and looking for faults. In the Clubhouse the lovely George and Maria cannot do enough to please.
Carl who is a Guest relations manager is the most wonderfully helpful person you could meet and always goes that extra mile.
The entertainment was not our thing but they all worked very very hard and my daughter loved it.
Shall return one day...hopefully not to far away.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Hotel great amazing. Slides brillant even adults do not miss out on the fun. Hotel staff so polite and friendly. Not a bad word to say apart from not being on the beach front but that is a compromise I can now make willingly. Everyone there is great. Smithy and Barlow fab along with the rest of the team. Thanks so much everyone. FIRST CHOICE DO NOT RAISE YOUR PRICES (or standards). Looked again for next year and it is stupid price for a family of four in the summer..

Room Tip: Book early swim up rooms great. Unlelss you do not want to sleep until late do not stay in the acti...
4 Thank Georgia M
Littlehampton
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Amazing hotel, spotless. Staff are so friendly and great with kids. Rooms were clean and very modern. We had a fantastic room which was right next to the pool. Food was lovely, the buffet seemed to serve the best food for us. Loads of pools and activities to do. Only slight niggle would be the evening entertainment as this was aimed at kids until 10pm (which is quite late) and my 8 yr old didnt really enjoy it, plus it was quite loud. I would not let that stop us going again though as there are other bars you can drink in to get away from it. Overall a fantastic hotel/holiday and we will definitley be returning!! If in any doubt I would say 'book it!!' :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank LittlehamptonHills
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed here during half term. It is a definate family resort with entertainment all day. It is classed as 5* as it had all the things a 5* classification requires (24 hour reception, mini bar, lifts etc) it is not a romantic little hotel on the beach. If the kids are happy...

All the good things mentioned in previous reports (spotlessly clean, food, esp for a buffet was excellent with plenty to choose from, lots of Greek dishes and vegaterians well catered for, house wine drinkable etc) stand but I always look at Trip Advisor for those 'handy hints' to know before you go:

1) book the Greek and Italian A la carte at first available opportunity. The terminals in reception asked you to book via reception desk between 10:30 and 11:30am. I booked morning after we arrived and it required a bit of juggling but got one at 6:30pm and one at 7:30pm. The food in the buffet restaurant is excellent but it is nice to be 'served' in the a la carte.

2) take a marker pen to label your rubber rings, arm bands and inflatable crocodiles. There are lots of them around and they get mixed up and no-one knows whose is whose

3) High ropes get booked up. You need to pre-book on the day at 9:30am in Sports Bar so don't leave it til the last day and arrive a bit early to book - the Brits love a queue.

4) Some kids club sessions get full. It is a just turn up system so if their ratio of number of kids to reps is met they have to turn kids away so if it us a session your child really wants to do (snorkelling, Chocolate Party etc) arrive at the kids club a good 10 minutes early. The park is right next door to kids club so you can stand in queue whilst they play in park.

5) The restaurant start to clear away the buffet at end of the specified meal time so make sure you have all the food you need on your plate. We missed out on pudding one lunchtime, but there was still the ice cream.

6) you will see lots of people wandering around with water slide injuries on their back from the 6+ slide and 3 big slides. To avoid injury lie back and bring your shoulder blades together a bit and turn your right elbow up a bit. It makes a HUGE difference. Practice on the 6+ slide first as it is slower.

7) point of interest - the reason the 3 big slides are for 10 and 12+ is because they used to let younger kids on but they were forever fishing crying kids out of the 'landing' pool who got scared coming down the slide and couldn't find their footing in the relatively deep pool (came up to my armpits and I am 5'1"). We know because our 6 year old son was desperate to have a go so we asked why he couldn't (so we waited til he was in kids club and went on the slides :-) )

We would go back. The swim up room was definately worth the extra £112 for the week. I would love to have seen more of the island (we went to Rhodes Town on local bus one day) but for a week for exhausted parents of a 6 and 4 year old we were happy to spend the time at the pool. The evening entertainment is loud but rooms are fairly soundproof (with quiet air con so no need to have door open) so we would go back with kids about 10pm after kids entertainment had finished, put them to bed and sit out on patio with a drink and listen to fairly ropey, but very enthusiastic, entertainment!

• Stayed June 2012
10 Thank Janejanejane74
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We have just returned from a weeks stay. Not the greatest of starts as when we arrived at 04:00 in the morning we were given a room that was not clean ! We found hairs all over the bed on the bathroom floor and on the floor directly next to my daughters so called bed which was exstremerly uncomfortable. We was given a different room which again was not clean , then on the third attempt we finally was given a clean room to sleep in at which by now was 05:00. The following morning we returned to our original room where the cleaners carried out a proper deep clean. One more disappointing issue is the pool has stained all of our swimwear with some kind of yellow die ... Which will not wash out ! Will be speaking to first choice about this matter. Positive points the reps are great with the kids and the food is ok , would recommend this resort to anyone with children. But if you want a real 5 star hotel then head to Dubai !

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Kev1972
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Upon arrival at the Holiday Village, Rhodes we were greeted by the hotel staff with a glass of champagne. We were quickly allocated to our room before being provided with a selction of buffet food at 2 in the morning which after a long day of travelling was greatly received. Soon after we got to our room, a porter brought along our suitcases for us.

Our room (#2312) was spacious, clean and most imortantly felt really modern too with the power shower and a 32" wall-mounted TV and so on. The only downside was that we were placed in a single room with 2 double beds (for 3 people) which was slightly disappointing in terms of privacy. Our balcony was big overlooking the pool, with a table and chairs and a clothes horse to dry our things on.

The food they provided around the clock was absolutely spectacular. The variety of food and immense flavors were beyond belief. A total highlight of our holiday!!

We came here as a family of three. (My fiancee, my 4yo son and I). To be honest, we could not have asked for a better place for family holiday than this. It'll put a slight dent in your finances to book a week's holiday in this hotel but I can assure, you will go back home with some amazing memories.

In the hotel lobby was a desk where Nigel Lamb, from the company Rodos Cars sat, we hired a car for the day from him, he was full of knowledge about the island and told us the best places to go. We took his advice and took a 10minute drive to Tsambika Beach for a dip in the sea and then went on to Lindos. The views over the mountains were simply breathtaking (see our YouTube video here http://youtu.be/1tntuX4vHqo ) [Copy and paste into your browser] We would highly recommend a day trip to Lindos.

Every hotel has its pros and cons which understandably are not advertised in brouchers nor pointed out by your travel agents. This is where we (the existing holiday makers) come in; to pin-point all those hidden (no matter how small) glitches that may cause a slighly unpleasantness to your holiday experience. I have been keeping this review live throughout my two-week holiday in the Holiday Village, Rhodes so I wouldn't miss anything out.

See my YouTube video of the hotel here http://youtu.be/ukMWXOhA8OA [Copy and paste into your browser]

***PROs***
1) There are a variety of Kid Clubs within the hotel (for all age groups) which will accomodate your children for up to 6 hours a day nursing. You may leave your children with these trained FirstChoice staff and go have fun of your own while your kids have fun of their own doing varitey of activities including a Sports Day and Crazy Golf.
2) Amazing food served 3 times a day + snack bar providing snack food between lunch & dinner.
3) Extremely polite and cortious staff who are very child friendly.
4) Air conditioned rooms (feels amazing when sleeping)
5) Two TV channels dedicated purely to give enough information about all the aspects of the hotel. Very useful indeed. You also get the following TV channels for free: National Geographic & Discovery.
6) Free WI-FI in the reception area.
7) Daily activities for all ages including a daily quiz, aqua fit, archery, bingo and so on.
8) Live entertainment every night.
9) A spacious sports room with air hockey and pool tables and a big screen to watch the Euro 2012.
10) All inclusive drinkes are served until midnight. Note: only local beer & spirits included. Other high brand spirits are sold at a price.
11) Airport transfer: around 30mins.
12) Local beach: 10-15 min walk away. Local beaches are mainly pebble-based. If you fancy a golden-sand beach with clear blue sea...Tsambika Beach (15-20min drive away) or Lindos Beach (30-45min drive away).
13) Heated pool for the little ones.
14) Departure: The coach picked us up promptly as per schedule. Staff provided us with bottles of water for our flight and wished us a safe journey!
15) We got to enjoy the Queen's Diamond Jubilee pool party. See my YouTube video of that party here http://youtu.be/89CMPZWj8Xw [Copy and paste into your browser]

***CONs***

1) Insects: Make sure you DO NOT bring any food into your room. We left a glass of orange juice on the table overnight - the next morning all the ants of the island were having a pool-party in that glass. Mosquetos generally become really active only at nights so be prepared with mosqueto repellent wrist bands/sprays). Bees are the worst. They mainly hover around the bins and/or juice machines around the pool area so be careful before you take that first sip.
2) Our bed sheets DID NOT get changed even once in fortnight considering it was a 5* hotel. Towels got changed regularly though.
3) Sunbeds were reserved by guests leaving other guests stranded without one even though most of them weren't even using them.
4) The pools, although lovely, didn't appear to be cleaned regularly.
5) We were unable to book a table for just one evening at one of the A La Carte restaurants due to badly organised on-screen booking system so in the end we just gave up.
6) Not much to do locally. Not many exciting excursions to go on either.
7) Free Wi-Fi is only available at the lobby. Your phone becomes pretty much useless anywhere else in this massive hotel.
8) No melon/watermelon to be found anywhere in the hotel. :-(

15 Thank Ramilhey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
#7 of 34 in Kolimbia
Lindos Blu
Lindos Blu
#2 of 30 in Lindos

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!