“Good holiday but not 5 Star”

Holiday Village Rhodes
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“Good holiday but not 5 Star”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Have just returned from the HV Rhodes, all four of us (43, 40, 10 &6) enjoyed our holiday, met lovely people but don’t think this is a place I would return to and not worth the money. It’s definitely not 5 stars and for the amount of money paid I do feel short changed!!

The staff at the resort work exceptionally hard, especially the Greeks and all are friendly, the first choice kids club staff were great and again all work very hard.

The rooms are very modern and kept clean, the room was cleaned everyday our room (2213) overlooked the smaller pool which was ideally positioned. We had a problem whereby the lights wouldn’t switch off, this was sorted quickly by the hotel staff.

The hotel is clean but not as clean as other 5 star hotels we have visited, although I don’t think that the pools are in top notch order - lots of tiles missing only saw the water tested about three times on 10 day holiday, swimming costumes are stained yellow this is due to sun cream and I sure due to the pool!!

The restaurant is outside but undercover, there are however a handful of tables inside but I find it strange that it was 90% outside eating, most 5 star hotels that we have visited have been inside?? The food was good, the open cooking was fantastic and some of the puddings were to die for.

The main entertainment is held outside, the I 5 Live for the kids was ok nothing to rave about but the kids enjoyed it. On the ten days we were there, the entertainment for the adults was poor, only three acts brought in from outside and then we had to watch and listen to the entertainment staff insulting each other and getting people up onto the stage for family participation !! This was the worst entertainment I have encountered.

The complex itself is good, although I do think that they could do with more drink stations - the waterpark & high ropes are really popular, all the pools around the activity area are 1.2m deep. My daughter did the "rookie lifeguard" with Tim who was great and she really enjoyed.

The sunbed issue is a nightmare, my husband got up most days @ 7.30 to get beds, however if you reserve them before 8am and leave, the towels are removed. The resort is out on its own it’s a 10min walk to the nearest town and there isn’t a lot there. Didn’t go on any trips, were going to make a trip to Rhodes town but it was so hot even in the evening decided against it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from a week at HV wih our 4 year old son. We all had a good time but there are are a few things which we feel anyone considering booking there should know in order to make a more informed decision.
Positives:
Greek staff in the hotel and restaurant were absolutely amazing - friendly, helpful, courteous, enthusiastic and just superb with children.
Breakfast in the restaurant was superb, other meals were also good, with lots of choice and variety for adults and kids in the main buffet restaurant. The a la carte Greek and Italian restaurants were also excellent too, and once again the friendliness of the staff was exceptionally good.
Water parks and swimming pools were brilliant. It's great to have a choice of places to sunbathe and swim, so with 5 pools there was the opportunity for a bit of variety. We particularly loved the lazy river and pirate ship, great for little ones, and the adults loved the big waterslides (but be aware that small children can't use the big slides due to age restrictions).
Swimming lessons. Our son loved the swim academy (5 lessons over the week) and he made drastic improvements in both skill and confidence.
Other holidaymakers (with just a couple of exceptions!). We met lots of really nice people and everyone we spoke to and spent time with was really friendly. There was a good atmosphere around the pools with everyone keeping an eye on everyone else's kids and children all playing happily together.
The 'I 5 live' bit of the evening entertainment for the kids was something our son very much enjoyed, with the enthusiasm, hard work and onstage banter between Claire and Barlow being notably enjoyable for four year olds.
Negatives:
The adult part of the entertainment was at best tolerable and at worst absolutely excruciatingly bad. There's an adult competition onstage every night which is frankly a bit Brits abroad/ Butlins and just seemed to involve slightly drunk mums and dads doing cringe-makingly embarrassing competitive karaoke or other such horribleness. Also, the main event entertainment involved acts singing to a backing track every night except one. Not even cruise-ship standard, more like a low budget cross channel ferry version!
The all inclusive drinks were not of the standard you'd expect from a hotel of this quality. The beer was tasteless, fizzy and weak and could only be enjoyed by someone whose usual tipple at home is cheap mass-produced canned lager. The wine, unfortunately, was no better.
We were expecting a poolside room based on the website and our booking conditions, but instead we were allocated a room in the main hotel building (interestingly, these are not even shown as existing on the site map). When I complained to both the First Choice reps and the hotel management I was told that there was nothing anyone could do as the hotel is fully booked, but I could fill out a complaint form. I did and I'll be taking this up with the company in more detail. The issue is that if you book a room with a separate bath and shower, you will get a poolside room and if you book one with a shower over the bath you will be in the noisy main block, although this isn't explained anywhere while booking.The room itself was of a good standard, but the location wasn't acceptable as the rooms in the main block get all the noise from the main lobby and sports bar. Also, there were some feral kids running around between midnight and 1 am for three nights in a row. We had to complain at reception a number of times to even attempt to get this dealt with. Also one night there was a fight in the sports bar (between adults, not kids! Really! This might give you some insight into a small minority of the clientele).
Overall, I can sum it up by answering three questions.
1 Did we have a good holiday? Yes
2 Would we recommend it to others? Yes, but with some reservations and as long as people know they're not actually getting a proper 5 star experience.
3 Would we go back there (or to another First Choice Holiday Village) again? Probably not.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Sonia C
Bristol
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I have come back from the Rhodes Holiday Village. Although myself and my family had a nice I am very upset and feel somewhat mis-sold.

We were sold this holiday on the basis that this resort was 5 star. I have stayed other 5 star resorts such as The Gloria Golf resort in Turkey and La Residencia in Deja Majorca. I will try and describe the differences as folllows:

1. Other 5 star resorts i have stayed in have 24 hour room service as part of the all inclusive package. This resort however does not.
2. Other resorts that I have described have also had fully stocked mini bars as part of the package. This resort does not.
3. Other resorts supply bottled water (volvic). This resort does not. You are told to purchase a bottle from the shop and then to refill it at a self service machine. Also if you arrive after midnight please be aware that you will not be able to get water or food anywhere.
4. Other resorts supply Towels poolside. This resort does not. Instead you have to hire the Towels from the shop leaving a deposit of 20 euro. This then encourages towel stealing when people have lost their own towels.
5. Other resorts supply Glasses. In this resort however you cannot get a glass only a plastic or paper cup. No pint glasses at all or wine glasses.
6. Other resorts have a selection of beer and winer. This resort has 1 beer only which is not great and the same as far as wine goes.
7. Other resorts are gated. This resort is not. So therefore anyone can drive or walk in to your resort that in my view is a serious security risk.
8. Other resorts supply a safe as part of your all inclusive package. This resort however will make you pay for the privilege of using the safe.
9. Other resorts have life-guards at every pool. This resort only had life-guards at the water park. Where in my view they are needed least.
10. Other resorts will supply with a complimentary room if you have a late flight. However this Hotel charged us 80 euro to keep our room until 6pm. (6 Hours)
11. Entertainment was strange. First Bingo which is not really for kids. Then talking and banter from the entertainers which again was fairly non entertaining for children. Then some sort of cabaret from the entertainers that generally turned out to be singing to backing tracks (to mainly theater songs) again rubbish for kids. The entire week we were there the kids never had a mini disco even. Other 5 star resorts have more than 1 entertainments area and they also bring in out side acts. For example Gloria Golf had Acrobats, different themed parties each night, mini discos, films, fireworks, beech parties and more. Therefore in comparison this resort is poor.
12. Other 5 star resorts serve you drinks poolside or beech-side. At this resort however waiters were more rare than a snow leopard. This resort does not offer this service.
13. Other 5 star resorts supply ice creams in variety. At other resorts our children would go up to 1 of the many freezers and pick the ice cream they wanted. At this resort only 1 bar supplies ice cream which is simply a cone and a scoop of ice cream. Thats your lot
14. Other resorts I have been to have dedicated cocktail bars and a great cocktail list but not this resort i'm afraid. They do have a few but not a great selection.
15. The resort has no beech. I did not think I would miss this but I did. The local beech is too far away and stoney. Not a great beech at all. Therefore the beech became a non starter.
16. You can always tell the quality of a resort from the toilets. The toilets here however are fairly dire.

These are just some of the differences that I picked up on. Therefore I really do not think this hotel can claim the same star rating as The Gloria Golf or La Residencia or others. In that respect I feel that travelers expecting "TRUE" 5 star should be very careful. If you really do want true 5 star stay somewhere else because you will be disappointed otherwise.

Also if you are booked to stay in the activity area it is "pot luck" where you will be put. We were lucky that we were as far from the entertainments stage as you could be. However we had friends that that were put in the main building above the entertainments stage. They had a complete nightmare. The whole family were kept awake every night to midnight because of the main stage noise and also the corridors echoed sound from the main lobby. They were not offered alternative accommodation so please beware.

We were a 5 person family. Therefore we were given 2 rooms and of course it was double the cost. However each room has to huge double beds and a cot. Therefore we could have fitted us all into 1 room easily. Therefore we had to take a additional room for a 2 year old child. In my view it simply does not warrant the cost and is not worth it.

This Hotel is not all bad there are some good things as follows:

1. Incredibly friendly staff - especially the dining room staff (They were a credit to the Greek people) They were fantastic with the kids too.
2. Water park was good fun. Kids loved the lazy river.
3. Pools we nice. Shallow graded so great for my 2 and 4 year old.
4. Swim Up rooms looked great.
5. Rooms themselves were great. Very spacious. Well fitted. Bathrooms were great with big walk in showers and marble everywhere. Air Con was great.
6. Resort was generally clean and tidy.
7. Great Kids Clubs for all ages
8. Food was quite nice. A great selection (buffet) and nothing to complain about.

All in all we had a nice time but I would not go back because I feel that for same money as we paid we could go to a genuine 5 star resort. Therefore for me this resort was not good value for money and definitely not 5 star.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not close to the main stage
2 Thank GeometricBluLtd
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I just spent two weeks at the Holiday Village Rhodes. It was advertised by the rep I bought the holiday from (first choice) as something quite special, which it is genuinely not. It's a nice but bog standard holiday.

The positives - the Greek staff are excellent and really shame the British in showing how to welcome people and genuinely make them smile. The food was lovely, I genuinely had only one poor meal which of course I left and chose something else. The all inclusive was fine, always a shame the alcohol isnt brand. Pool is okay but lots of broken tiles!

The negatives - firstly don't go here if you are claustrophobic. It really isn't a big place and with no decent linked beach you need to really like sitting on a subbed by the pool a lot. The water park - is ridiculous. I have two young children (age 9 and 7) who are both outstanding swimmers. They were naturally excited about the water park and slides only to get there to find age restrictions on the best sllides that get no mention in the brochures! The park has lifeguards who unlike the hotel staff are not pleasant and are enforcing rules they don't agree with. If like me you are planning to book for the slides DON'T! There are better places to go.

The entertainment team were okay for little kids, i5live and russel the Brusell etc are okay but the evening entertainment isn't good, led by a chap called Barlow who isn't the best entertainer in the team and doesn't come across with any great passion for entertainment. I felt the throwing of water over children especially with special needs is really not funny. Buy a tensa barrier if you don't want kids in certain places would be using the brain!

The clubs are good for the kids and security is tight. They have some superb staff like Scottie to hottie, whilst others like shaggy are just uni students earning some money. The evening clubs are highly debatable though and appear to be a way to get the kids out the way of the entertainment later in the evening. I can't say I was impressed with some of the modes of behaviour I saw exhibited in these clubs and they qualified some poor british standards you don't see with foreign youngsters.

Sun beds - 7am if you want them and this really just makes you feel like cattle. No holiday should include this.you don't get up early all year to do the same when you go on holiday.

Don't be fooled by the brochures. My room was nice but the view was the car park!

Overall the Greeks have done their job well, but this holiday village needs a good kick in the backside to improve the issues above. It feels like what it is, a package holiday. Just Before I was here I spent 10 days in turkey and experience was a much better one. Definitely a place I wouldn't return to. Sorry! And definitely not worth the 8k I paid!

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We have been to many good hotels in the past but this is In our top 2 I would really recommend this resort the staff where very helpful and the food and rooms was excellent the animation team are very entertaining plus there is plenty of things to do for the kids can't wait to return

• Stayed June 2012
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I'll start this review by saying that we have stayed in a few 5 star hotels and resorts and given that first choice rates this 5 star and it cost us 6000 for a 2 week stay, I have compared it to our previous 5 star experiences.

Resort - the resort in general appears modern and smart at first glance but is actually quite rough around the edges, especially the pool areas which has missing tiles and scum lines where the water level is. There are no where near enough sun loungers for the amount of people staying here and the whole place feels pretty cramped, most notably the activity side where everything is on top of each other.

The resort in general is not as clean as I would expect, we have stayed in HV turkey before and that place was immaculate and you would always see people cleaning day and night. Here, I only ever noticed 1 woman cleaning the main reception area, I never saw any one else cleaning in 2weeks and there was always litter etc on the floors. The pool areas were especially grubby, ice cream stains left for days, cigarette butts and ash on the floors and lots of grit and debris in the pools. In 2 weeks I saw the deluxe pool cleaned once. The whole resort looked like it could do with a good jet wash.

Rooms - rooms on the deluxe side are comfortable and we had no issues with this apart from it would have been nice if they could have been more thoroughly cleaned each week.

Resort staff - I cannot speak highly enough of the resort staff, especially the Greeks who worked there, they were a pleasure the whole holiday and if there is any criticism, there is probably not quite enough staff to adequately run the place and keep it to a high standard.

Kids club - both our girls really enjoyed the kids clubs and all of the staff seemed really friendly.

Food - I thought the food throughout the resort was actually really nice and there was a great choice and we only started to get bored of the buffet the last day or 2. It probably lacked the real wow factor of a 5 star. Word of warning, at peak times the buffet restaurant resembles a zoo, not a pleasant dining experience.

Drinks - the beer was ok and none of the spirits were watered down but the cocktails were really poor. The mixers were more like squash and just tasted bland eg a piña colada should have pineapple juice and coconut milk in but they were using pineapple squash and regular milk! Not up to 5star standards. Also, in several of the bars the drinks were served in plastic glasses, which is fair enough but 90% of the time the glass would be hot and dirty, totally ruining your drink.

Entertainment - the kids evening entertainment started at 830pm which was far to late in my opinion as the adult stuff didn't begin until almost 945. The kids entertainment was terrible but they all loved it so that's all that matters really but the poor cheesy standard just rolls on into the adult section, one particular offering 'electric city' was the worst thing I think iv ever seen! Iv seen far better in a haven caravan park so to put this on at a '5 star' resort is a joke. Really disappointing.

Overall, I would say if you are looking to stay in a genuine 5 star resort and you are willing to spend that type of money, do not book here, it really does lack the quality and class of many resorts out there. On the other hand, if you are looking for a butlins style holiday in a gorgeous country and you can ignore a few grumbles then this might be for you.

4 Thank garethlfc
Enfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We returned home on the 8th August following a 14 night stay at the HVR. Like other reviewers, our expectations were also set high having viewed glowing reports both on Trip Advisor and on the Hotel’s Facebook page. However based upon my personal holiday experience, I would have to agree that the resort is not worthy of its 5* rating but would say it’s a 4*.

HVR Positives:

We stayed in a 1st Floor Room by the Swim-up Pool in the Activity Area. Our room was really lovely with an impressive mountain view from the Balcony.

The Hotel staff were fantastic with particular thanks going to the main restaurant staff and to George (x 2), Yannis and Marios at the Atrium/Sports Bars who were brilliant and worked tirelessly for the guests.

The First Choice staff were extremely hard working and friendly and our 12 year old son enjoyed taking part in some of the Escape run activities and the High Ropes Experience.

Nigel Lamb, (Rodos Cars representative based in the Hotel’s Reception Area) – competitive rates and a very informative pleasant chap.

Water Hoppers Dive Centre - staff visit HVR several times a week. Extremely well run organisation with very friendly staff. Our son truly enjoyed his first scuba diving experience.

HVR Negatives:

Bedroom Cleaning:
Our sheets were not changed for the duration of our stay, this being a holiday first!

Our bathroom cleaning left a lot to be desired! A general rinse of the bath/sink and a buff of the mirror in our opinion, does not classify as a daily clean! I don’t think that detergent was ever used! I do not have a fetish for it but, it would have denoted that some effort had been made to clean the area especially with the toilet arrangements that are enforced in Greece! However, your towels were replaced by freshly laundered ones daily if you left them in the bath.

Our bedroom/bathroom and balcony floors never appeared to have made an acquaintance with the mop throughout our stay so the inevitable dusty debris shared our holiday experience.

The glass panel on the balcony – wonderful idea as your view was never inhibited - well, apart from the marks that were there from the day of our arrival to the day of our departure!

What a shame and perhaps we were unlucky? Not however, what I would have expected of a 4*.

Entertainment:
I too have to agree that the entertainment was not the best! No offence to the First Choice staff as they work very hard with the tools they are given but, it is extremely repetitive! Those who book a holiday at an HV Hotel understand that the entertainment will be aimed largely at a younger audience but, I believe that families with children older than pre-school age would enjoy an entertainment programme with a higher ratio of professional acts.

4* Food Quality:
Breakfast – fabulous choice. Dinner – lots of choice but did become a little samey. The Restaurant’s Buffet area appeared too small for the number of guests and this got a little frustrating during peak times. However, we never experienced the issues previous reviewers advised about not having their plates removed during courses; we found the staff to be extremely efficient in this regard. The a la carte restaurants were a nice experience.

Sun Beds:
We had to set our alarm for 07:00 in order to stand a chance of getting a bed around the pool below our room (swim up, Activity side) - 70 rooms – 3/4 guests per room so at least 210 guests but, only 76 sunbeds + people from the Deluxe side! Word of warning for next year, a new area call the “Tropical” is being built adjacent to the Relax/Deluxe side of the Hotel – no chance of a sun bed then!

Pools:
Lovely, even if at times a little chilly! A word of warning about them, DO NOT wear anything white as they will be stained yellow! The kids enjoyed collecting the loose tiles in the pool but seriously, they could do with a bit of TLC. I like other guests, never saw the pools being cleaned and therefore there was a lot of black grime on the bottom of the pools and scum around the edges.

Outside of HVR:

The Star Bar – turn right out of the hotel then first left. Friendly staff and nice to get away from the noise of the entertainment and enjoy a relaxing cocktail or a game of mini golf.

Rhodes Old Town, Lindos, Kalithea Springs and Butterfly Valley.

Having said all of the above, we did have an enjoyable holiday at the HVR. At the end of the day it’s what you make of it.

The purpose of this review is to highlight to others what we saw as both positives and negatives to our overall holiday experience. Having stayed in what we perceive to be 5* Hotels in Turkey, Tenerife and Lanzarote without any concerns, we hope that First Choice/Thomson will not ignore any negative comments but act positively upon them in order to improve future holiday maker’s experiences.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Atlantica Aegean Blue
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#7 of 34 in Kolimbia

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!