“Great family holiday,”

Holiday Village Rhodes
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
“Great family holiday,”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Really nice hotel, Great pools and water park, very safe for children. Rooms well laid out with a large bath an separate shower, hotel is kept spotless,
The food was chef standard ,
Trying to book the restaurants is difficult. Pre book with a first come first served basis, managed to book 2 of the three after seeing the restaurant manager, A deposit system should be used so diners turn up to the restaurants , my only other gripe is if you like a drink of beer, you will have to buy out like we did, the beer on tap is called vap . it makes skol taste strong, try googling vap , nothing?

• Stayed June 2014
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are pleased you had a great holiday, i would like to send my best wishes to your family and we hope to welcome you all again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Leeds
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked a swim up room within the family area for myself wife and daughter.
Upon arrival we was greeted with drinks and our luggage was taken to our rooms, unfortunately that was the end of the 5 star service.

We arrived in our swim up room only to be a little disappointing by the small size of it, the bath was nice and the shower was also good but that about it, i was also annoyed we then had to pay 20 Euros for the safe when other 4 and 5 star hotels i have stayed in give you free access to the safe. We was late arriving so we went to bed and got up early to have a look around. First of all we noticed that the sun was not and never was going to hit our decking area and sun loungers for more than 45 minutes which meant we then had to start getting up at 7am to try get the loungers poolside next to our room, our Jacuzzi did not work, we had the corner room and the wind seemed to push all the rubbish up to our room like magazines, cups, inflatables which i was always cleaning up and the bottom corner of the pool was always dirty. And finally the most annoying thing was staff from the hotel using our corner room as a damn short cut to get to the other swim up rooms rather than walking around like normal people did. I had to run out and shout at one member of staff as my wife was getting changed when he did this and scared her to death. I would rate the swim up room as 3 star max.

The food was average from the buffets and the having to queue for everything including getting seated was annoying, we one day queued 15 minutes to get seated. We was allowed to book 3 nights in different restaurants a Mexican, Italian, Greek. We did this the second night and got our reservations, the Mexican was nice and so was the Greek but we was not allowed to eat in the Italian as one night there was a bit of rain so they closed it and we had to eat at the Greek restaurant again, i asked if i could cancel and try to eat in the Italian before we came home and was swiftly told no as it was fully booked. The daily buffet was 3 star maximum, the Mexican and Greek was 4 star and was a good standard of food and obviously they could not fit us in for the Italian even though i walked past 2 nights and saw at least 3-6 empty tables each time.

The alcohol was all non branded and very very weak and poor tasting, the lager was often flat and did not taste of anything, there is a nice little bar around the corner called the Star Bar, now they served the same lager in a chilled pint glass (Not a disposable kids sized cup like the Holiday Village or half pint glasses still warm from the dishwashers) and the beer was very nice and tasted great making me wonder what they did with the beer in the hotel.

The entertainment was poor almost every time other than when a Scottish lad called Rory Entertainer Cunningham was on stage, now this lad was funny and both the adults and kids loved him.

It may seem i am being a bit harsh on the Holiday Village but i was going there expecting 5 star as we paid for, it is a nice average hotel but is NEVER a 5 star, this hotel is a 3 star or maybe 3.5 star max but priced and advertised as a 5 star hotel. It was ok and would say its worth around £1800 for a week for 2 adults and a child all inclusive. I have stayed in 4 star hotels that are better.

I met a few couples who stayed in the Deluxe area and got mixed reviews about that also.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thomas M, operation manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 11 November 2014
Dear Guest, i would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, i have noted the issues you have made and will continue to improve our hotel for 2014/2015, i do hope you have some nice memories to take home with you.

best wishes
Melton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was the third time I have stayed at a Holiday Village, although my first time on my own with my two children (aged 5 and 8). We went for two weeks, stayed in a swim up room in the Deluxe area and were really well taken care of for the whole time we were there.
The Deluxe area has it's own restaurant which meant that we avoided the busy main restaurant for breakfast and also had the choice about whether we wanted to be waited on in our restaurant in the evening or go over to the main restaurant for a buffet meal.
The quality of the food wherever we ate was excellent it has to be said.

The advantage of eating at the main restaurant was the fact that it was close to the main stage so we could have dinner whilst the evening entertainment was starting. The entertainment was really good and kept the adults interested as much as the kids which is quite a feat. Well done to Rory and Paige and the rest of the team.
The main stage was outside but luckily the weather was perfect for the whole holiday, apart from a few windy evenings.

The splash park area was really nice and we spent a lot of time there. There were plenty of sun loungers in that area and the lazy river got a lot of use from us.
The only slight gripe is that kids under 10 couldn't use any of the larger water slides even though I couldn't really see why. They weren't huge or anything and my kids were disappointed that they could only use one slide.

The high ropes are well worth a go (we did them twice) and the activities in general in the activity pool area were a lot of fun too. It was very nice to head back to the room in the afternoon to chill out whilst the kids played in the Deluxe pool and I made use of the dedicated pool bar. As someone else has said on here, the one thing that would have made it better for me would have been if there had been waiter service to the swim up rooms.

As others have said, there isn't an easily accessible beach with the resort so we didn't go out of our way to get taxis just to go to the beach. To be honest, there was plenty to do within the resort anyway.
The kids club was a good standard as I've come to expect of the Holiday Villages and there were lots of activities that they wanted to do which meant that I got some relax time too - a win/win situation!
All in all, a really nice holiday was had and next year we're heading to Tunisia to do the Holiday Village there.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms positioned around the pool in the Deluxe area sit on all different depths of the p...
3 Thank Glen C
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review, we are very pleased that you had a Brilliant holiday, we hope to welcome you all again soon.

best wishes to you and your family.
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Well travelled family who like to use AI as much as we can, 7 & 5 yr old.

Swim Up Rooms:
- I was disappointed not to be able to book one of these rooms as they look really nice.
- Luck of the draw as to how big your given area is. You could end up with one that joins the main pool so there is ample space. But there are rooms where it could be as small as 6 foot, and unluckier ones have a hedge! (You just can't jump over and join the other pool)
- These are not heated!
- I was behind a guest complaining to reception the her swim up pool is not heated to be told that "the sun heats it". So you make a judgement on how hot it is and how long it will take to warm up 0.90m work of cold water.
- Yes, some rooms are shaded most of the day.
- They do look good - we will prob try one in a hotter destination.

Room Cleanliness:
- Got back to the room and the cups were still dirty
- Table tops were only wiped once
- Balcony not cleaned

Towels:
- Very scratchy!
- Comes back dirty
- Some pool towels were frayed and got holes

Food:
- Ok and good variety. Would have like to see more traditional Greek food, same type of fish everyday.
- Lots of English people so catered largely for. Kids loved it when they saw Potato Smileys!
- Evening Dinner rules of no shorts of flip flops for men were not observed in the main buffet restaurant.
- Try to avoid busy times, people pushing in and some not using the tongs provided!

Kids Club:
- Has start and end time so you can't just turn up whenever you want.
- Good security as you have to give a card to sign the kids in (TIP: get this card done during welcome meeting, saw some get turned away for not having this)
- Limited number so try and be there at least 10 mins before if you want to be 100% sure, especially with the popular ones (body zorbs / master class football / enchanted forest)
- They mix the ages in some activities but don't change the number of attendees to suit!
- Some activities require pre-booking - find out from your rep which one (water walkers definite!)
My kids loved it so recommended - just be savvy!

A La Carte:
- Gave up on this after 2nd attempt. Both attempts - I was told the "system" was down and they took down my details and told me that they will get back to me ... got nothing!

Evening Entertainment:
- They show an episode of Peppa Pig. Very good if you little ones.
- Staff put on a show where they dance and have quizzes on a stage etc .... would have been good if there was more participation encouraged from the kids. Although they get told to dance, it would have been great if they can either go on stage or the staff come down from the stage (for health and safety). My 7 year old like to join and dance but here, although she was dancing, she felt it was more a "watching" activity because of the stage (I hope I'm making sense here)

Bar staff were very quick and courteous - wish more people dropped tips in their jars.

Meet and greet at the restaurant were very friendly and pleasant. Evening entertainment started about 7:15 and best tables are the end ones so you can see stage and view entertainment. Big con: people who get the best tables tend to stay for hours.

Yes, you need to pay for the room safe - should be standard!

Pool Towels - 10euro deposit (cash). Can be changed twice per week.

1x Complimentary bottle of water. Can buy a bottle in the hotel shop for 1 euro.

Wifi - free but very very patchy!

Take a trip to Rhodes Old town if you can.

4 Thank 2173FAR

best wishes
Co. Durham
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We visited the Holiday Village Rhodes on the first week of the season in May. On arriving, late at night, we checked into our lovely room and my 4 year old complained he had a mossie bite on his leg, or so we thought.... Next morning we awoke, planning a fun filled day of swimming pools, water park and kids club, to a rather spotty little boy! At the welcome meeting we reported this to Luke the First Choice rep, who despite the 'Oh hell I've only been here a day, what do I do'! look on his face, got us a doctor to the hotel in no time, who confirmed that, yes he had chicken pox!
This meant no swimming pool, no kids club, no water park, and no restaurants! This then caused an almighty fuss with the extremely proud, but inflexible and 'jobsworthy' restaurant manager who suggested that as my little boy was not allowed in and, 'Due to ISO 2098765432 you must not take food out of the restaurant' so we could take one plate of food out for him, and the rest of us would have to eat in the restaurant! This was going to prove tricky to say the least as I was somewhat reluctant to leave my 4yr old alone in the room and do off for dinner! To cut a very long story short we eventually got the issue solved, not by the First Choice reps who apparently have no authority at all, but by the fantastic Thomas the hotel manager, who did his utmost to sort out the situation and make it as easy as possible so we could get the whole family's meals transported to the room and eat on the patio.
Luckily our room lent itself to being room bound for 4 days as, (although we hadn't booked a swim up) our room was in the corner of the swim ups so had pool access and extra space which meant that we could sit pool side and the children could fill buckets and water guns whilst still being away from everyone else.
Hats off too to the Kids Club staff who kept us going by lending us craft stuff to keep him busy and popping in to see if he was ok.
We did then get 3 days of fun before we had to come home, and again Thomas came up trumps by sorting us a bottle of fizz in the lovely Greek Al a Carte to make up for our ordeal- Thanks Thomas!
Overall, I feel we had the best holiday we could under the circumstances and have a great excuse to return and have a proper holiday next time!

Room Tip: Room 3202 has the benefits of a swim up room without paying a premium for one!
5 Thank Gill-n-Phil
Dear Mr Phillip

Thank you for your 5 star review, i remember you and your family well, it was our pleasure to look after you, we hope to see you all again soon.

Best wishes.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks all inclusive, we stayed in the activity area which was great , we had a swim up room which was not expected as we didn't pay for one. The entertainment staff were excellent and plenty of activities for the children to do. Plenty of food choices also. My only concern was apartment doors don't lock from the inside which was a bit of a nightmare with a toddler as he kept trying to escape ,I highly recommend putting safety chains on doors . Overall had a fantastic holiday all staff were friendly and polite . I would return if doors had locks put on inside door as this was a bit of a worry with little kiddies. Sleep rating was a little low due to locks only due to being worried little one would wake up and get out .

Room Tip: Ground floor with little children
4 Thank helen200569
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review, We are very pleased that you had a BRILLIANT Holiday, i would like to send you our best wishes, and we hope to see you all again soon.

Thank you.
Ashtead
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed in a swim up room in the activity area with our 7 year old son. Normally we rent a private villa for the three of us, so this is the first time we have been on this type of holiday. The room was clean and nicely decorated with its own terrace into the shared pool. My son loved the football academy with Alex and we cannot praise the swim academy with Guy enough. The buffet food was great with a wide selection of food as well as fruit juice/wine, beer on tap. There were plenty of kids activities (high ropes, splash park with slides, kids club, water balls, water wipeout competition etc). The evening entertainment by the First Choice crew (Rory, Lee, Paige, Jimmy & Hannah) was a combination of kids/grown ups competitions (which they all loved), followed by energetic singing and dancing - a little cheesy but still very entertaining. We all made some great friends and had a really enjoyable relaxing time. The only negative points would be
1. the FC trip to Rhodes & Lindos was expensive (would have been over £100 for us all) so we got the bus from outside the hotel for 3.5 Eu each to Rhodes instead.
2. the resort could have been anywhere and it would have been nice to hear some greek music played or seen some greek dancing/culture.
Overall it was fantastic and we would definitely go again.

Room Tip: get a swim up room if you can.
2 Thank Julie M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review, We are very pleased you enjoyed your holiday here at the Rhodes Holiday village with Atlantica Hotels, we only hope to see you all again soon.

Best wishes.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
#7 of 34 in Kolimbia
Lindos Blu
Lindos Blu
#2 of 30 in Lindos

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!