“A fantastic holiday - completely stress-free”

Holiday Village Rhodes
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed in the Deluxe area towards the beginning of the season and loved it. We have stayed in Kolymbia twice before at a nearby resort of similar quality, but the deluxe package really made this holiday extra special. Not having to queue up at a buffet and having the option of buffet and a la carte made a real difference. The staff were absolutely superb, so attentive and fantastic with our two young children (2 and 4). We will definitely be looking to go again next year.

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe room as the restaurant service and quieter pool area makes a big difference. Also we...
5  Thank Jo T
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for your 5 star review, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you all again soon.

Best wishes.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Village Rhodes

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Having just returned from 2 weeks at the Holiday Village I have to say it most definitely lives up to it's great reputation.

Yes there are a few little things that could be improved but is this not the case at every place you would ever visit and usually comes down to personal preferences and expectations.

As a couple holidaying with our 2 year old daughter we found it absolutely ideal and catered for all our needs. Special mention has to go to Cecilia, George & George from the deluxe restaurant (whom our daughter just adored) and to Thomas.

Thank you all of you for making our 2 weeks so enjoyable, having just experienced the painful loss of our youngest daughter this holiday was just what we needed to start the next chapter in our lives.

(P.S. Thomas please get in touch)

Richard, Sam & Ava

Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Richard P

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for your review, it was a pleasure to meet you, i would love to keep intouch with you and i will keep a close eye on the development of your daughters charity.

please email the hotel via the website to be directed to my email.

Best wishes to you and your family from all the Team.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was our fourth holiday village and we thought we would pay for the five star resort this year. We were a family of four travelling with a two and seven year old. We went at the beginning of May when it first opened. What I didn't realise was that like Cyprus it it a two centre resort with totally separate hotel lobbies. If you want the action make sure you book the activity area if you want quiet book relax which is next to the swim up rooms. We asked for a ground floor room overlooking the pool and we got just that in the relax area. The room was spotless and it had a large bathroom with a separate bath and shower. I was able to put my daughter down for a sleep and still get some sun just outside on the patio. There is a fridge, kettle and hairdryer but no microwave. You have to pay for the safe which isn't very five star ?
The only downside of being in Relax is that it is a 10 minute walk to the restaurant a right pain if you forget something. My top tip is to go out of the gate next to the holiday village tropical and walk two minutes down the road and into the main entrance. There is also a shop just outside the gate to buy water. This was a real gripe for me as the four star holiday village kos you got as much bottled water as you liked. The machine water was disgusting. Again not very five star.
The restaurant food was lovely and the staff were very attentive high fiving the children everytime they went in. We booked the greek and mexican (over in Tropical) they were both really good. We didn't mind the local alcoholic drinks another top tip they do prosecco as part of the all inclusive !! If you want proper glasses go to the sports and lobby bar ! My main problem is that the deluxe guests and the swiss guests from Tropical all get to descend on the restaurant which makes it really busy.
My children loved the entertainment Rory and his team are fantastic, I do feel after four years of the widgets they could change the format a head office request ! My girls loved the kids club and creche the staff were excellent.
If you have little ones take a wetsuit as the pool hasn't had the summer to heat up it was freezing ! You have to put a deposit on the towels which really annoyed us !

To sum up the room, staff and food were excellent however compare this hotel to Kos if it's loads more money go for holiday village Kos as it was no more luxurious than Kos same room with a bath/shower instead of a shower. Kos you don't pay for water or towels and it has a lovely beach. We walked to Rhodes beach it was covered in giant ants and looked like a building site.

Room Tip: If you don't have children or want a quiet pool choose relax if you have children and want to be...
2  Thank bill_lotty

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel, we are very pleased you enjoyed your holiday with us. We hope to welcome you all again soon.

Best Wishes.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Really nice hotel, Great pools and water park, very safe for children. Rooms well laid out with a large bath an separate shower, hotel is kept spotless,
The food was chef standard ,
Trying to book the restaurants is difficult. Pre book with a first come first served basis, managed to book 2 of the three after seeing the restaurant manager, A deposit system should be used so diners turn up to the restaurants , my only other gripe is if you like a drink of beer, you will have to buy out like we did, the beer on tap is called vap . it makes skol taste strong, try googling vap , nothing?

• Stayed: June 2014
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are pleased you had a great holiday, i would like to send my best wishes to your family and we hope to welcome you all again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked a swim up room within the family area for myself wife and daughter.
Upon arrival we was greeted with drinks and our luggage was taken to our rooms, unfortunately that was the end of the 5 star service.

We arrived in our swim up room only to be a little disappointing by the small size of it, the bath was nice and the shower was also good but that about it, i was also annoyed we then had to pay 20 Euros for the safe when other 4 and 5 star hotels i have stayed in give you free access to the safe. We was late arriving so we went to bed and got up early to have a look around. First of all we noticed that the sun was not and never was going to hit our decking area and sun loungers for more than 45 minutes which meant we then had to start getting up at 7am to try get the loungers poolside next to our room, our Jacuzzi did not work, we had the corner room and the wind seemed to push all the rubbish up to our room like magazines, cups, inflatables which i was always cleaning up and the bottom corner of the pool was always dirty. And finally the most annoying thing was staff from the hotel using our corner room as a damn short cut to get to the other swim up rooms rather than walking around like normal people did. I had to run out and shout at one member of staff as my wife was getting changed when he did this and scared her to death. I would rate the swim up room as 3 star max.

The food was average from the buffets and the having to queue for everything including getting seated was annoying, we one day queued 15 minutes to get seated. We was allowed to book 3 nights in different restaurants a Mexican, Italian, Greek. We did this the second night and got our reservations, the Mexican was nice and so was the Greek but we was not allowed to eat in the Italian as one night there was a bit of rain so they closed it and we had to eat at the Greek restaurant again, i asked if i could cancel and try to eat in the Italian before we came home and was swiftly told no as it was fully booked. The daily buffet was 3 star maximum, the Mexican and Greek was 4 star and was a good standard of food and obviously they could not fit us in for the Italian even though i walked past 2 nights and saw at least 3-6 empty tables each time.

The alcohol was all non branded and very very weak and poor tasting, the lager was often flat and did not taste of anything, there is a nice little bar around the corner called the Star Bar, now they served the same lager in a chilled pint glass (Not a disposable kids sized cup like the Holiday Village or half pint glasses still warm from the dishwashers) and the beer was very nice and tasted great making me wonder what they did with the beer in the hotel.

The entertainment was poor almost every time other than when a Scottish lad called Rory Entertainer Cunningham was on stage, now this lad was funny and both the adults and kids loved him.

It may seem i am being a bit harsh on the Holiday Village but i was going there expecting 5 star as we paid for, it is a nice average hotel but is NEVER a 5 star, this hotel is a 3 star or maybe 3.5 star max but priced and advertised as a 5 star hotel. It was ok and would say its worth around £1800 for a week for 2 adults and a child all inclusive. I have stayed in 4 star hotels that are better.

I met a few couples who stayed in the Deluxe area and got mixed reviews about that also.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Thomas M, operation manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2014

Dear Guest, i would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, i have noted the issues you have made and will continue to improve our hotel for 2014/2015, i do hope you have some nice memories to take home with you.

best wishes

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was the third time I have stayed at a Holiday Village, although my first time on my own with my two children (aged 5 and 8). We went for two weeks, stayed in a swim up room in the Deluxe area and were really well taken care of for the whole time we were there.
The Deluxe area has it's own restaurant which meant that we avoided the busy main restaurant for breakfast and also had the choice about whether we wanted to be waited on in our restaurant in the evening or go over to the main restaurant for a buffet meal.
The quality of the food wherever we ate was excellent it has to be said.

The advantage of eating at the main restaurant was the fact that it was close to the main stage so we could have dinner whilst the evening entertainment was starting. The entertainment was really good and kept the adults interested as much as the kids which is quite a feat. Well done to Rory and Paige and the rest of the team.
The main stage was outside but luckily the weather was perfect for the whole holiday, apart from a few windy evenings.

The splash park area was really nice and we spent a lot of time there. There were plenty of sun loungers in that area and the lazy river got a lot of use from us.
The only slight gripe is that kids under 10 couldn't use any of the larger water slides even though I couldn't really see why. They weren't huge or anything and my kids were disappointed that they could only use one slide.

The high ropes are well worth a go (we did them twice) and the activities in general in the activity pool area were a lot of fun too. It was very nice to head back to the room in the afternoon to chill out whilst the kids played in the Deluxe pool and I made use of the dedicated pool bar. As someone else has said on here, the one thing that would have made it better for me would have been if there had been waiter service to the swim up rooms.

As others have said, there isn't an easily accessible beach with the resort so we didn't go out of our way to get taxis just to go to the beach. To be honest, there was plenty to do within the resort anyway.
The kids club was a good standard as I've come to expect of the Holiday Villages and there were lots of activities that they wanted to do which meant that I got some relax time too - a win/win situation!
All in all, a really nice holiday was had and next year we're heading to Tunisia to do the Holiday Village there.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms positioned around the pool in the Deluxe area sit on all different depths of the p...
3  Thank Glen C

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review, we are very pleased that you had a Brilliant holiday, we hope to welcome you all again soon.

best wishes to you and your family.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Well travelled family who like to use AI as much as we can, 7 & 5 yr old.

Swim Up Rooms:
- I was disappointed not to be able to book one of these rooms as they look really nice.
- Luck of the draw as to how big your given area is. You could end up with one that joins the main pool so there is ample space. But there are rooms where it could be as small as 6 foot, and unluckier ones have a hedge! (You just can't jump over and join the other pool)
- These are not heated!
- I was behind a guest complaining to reception the her swim up pool is not heated to be told that "the sun heats it". So you make a judgement on how hot it is and how long it will take to warm up 0.90m work of cold water.
- Yes, some rooms are shaded most of the day.
- They do look good - we will prob try one in a hotter destination.

Room Cleanliness:
- Got back to the room and the cups were still dirty
- Table tops were only wiped once
- Balcony not cleaned

Towels:
- Very scratchy!
- Comes back dirty
- Some pool towels were frayed and got holes

Food:
- Ok and good variety. Would have like to see more traditional Greek food, same type of fish everyday.
- Lots of English people so catered largely for. Kids loved it when they saw Potato Smileys!
- Evening Dinner rules of no shorts of flip flops for men were not observed in the main buffet restaurant.
- Try to avoid busy times, people pushing in and some not using the tongs provided!

Kids Club:
- Has start and end time so you can't just turn up whenever you want.
- Good security as you have to give a card to sign the kids in (TIP: get this card done during welcome meeting, saw some get turned away for not having this)
- Limited number so try and be there at least 10 mins before if you want to be 100% sure, especially with the popular ones (body zorbs / master class football / enchanted forest)
- They mix the ages in some activities but don't change the number of attendees to suit!
- Some activities require pre-booking - find out from your rep which one (water walkers definite!)
My kids loved it so recommended - just be savvy!

A La Carte:
- Gave up on this after 2nd attempt. Both attempts - I was told the "system" was down and they took down my details and told me that they will get back to me ... got nothing!

Evening Entertainment:
- They show an episode of Peppa Pig. Very good if you little ones.
- Staff put on a show where they dance and have quizzes on a stage etc .... would have been good if there was more participation encouraged from the kids. Although they get told to dance, it would have been great if they can either go on stage or the staff come down from the stage (for health and safety). My 7 year old like to join and dance but here, although she was dancing, she felt it was more a "watching" activity because of the stage (I hope I'm making sense here)

Bar staff were very quick and courteous - wish more people dropped tips in their jars.

Meet and greet at the restaurant were very friendly and pleasant. Evening entertainment started about 7:15 and best tables are the end ones so you can see stage and view entertainment. Big con: people who get the best tables tend to stay for hours.

Yes, you need to pay for the room safe - should be standard!

Pool Towels - 10euro deposit (cash). Can be changed twice per week.

1x Complimentary bottle of water. Can buy a bottle in the hotel shop for 1 euro.

Wifi - free but very very patchy!

Take a trip to Rhodes Old town if you can.

4  Thank 2173FAR

best wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
#9 of 34 in Kolimbia
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#6 of 34 in Kolimbia

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!