“Great family holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Kolimbia
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have just returned back from the Holiday Village after a weeks stay, myself, my husband and two children aged 8 and 18 months.

The hotel grounds are very impressive. We paid extra for a swim up room in the activity section on the advice of a friend that had been to the hotel last year. To be honest I would have preferred to be in the deluxe part as they had a swim up pool bar and it is only a short walk to the activity section. Where we were was a bit of a walk to the nearest bar. Our room itself was lovely, very clean, plenty of space, we had two double beds which were very comfy and also a travel cot for my 18 month old. I would have preferred an actual cot as the base of the travel cot was very hard without a mattress. My eldest loved the fact he could jump straight off the balcony into the pool but for us, if I were to go to this hotel again, I wouldn't pay the extra money for the swim up room as we didn't make use of it, from 11 am the sun was off our balcony and when looking around only a couple of swim up rooms had sun later into the afternoon.

This hotel is fantastic for kids, the pool area was always clean, the waterpark has just enough slides, its not too big and i was happy for my son to be running around with friends he had met without me following him. The shallow/ small children's section with the smaller slides is great, it is shallow enough so my youngest son could walk around and if he did fall he wasn't scared, he could easily get him self back up. There was always something going on around the pool for the kids to do. They even had a section of the grass under a cover with baby toys so we could sit for a while and let my youngest have a play, i was very impressed with the little things like this.

We didn't take any beach towels, we hired these from the supermarket in the hotel and paid 10 euros deposit on each towel and we could change these every couple of days. We received our 40 euros back at the end of the week,

There really is not a lot around this hotel, we hired a car from a hire place just on the road out of the hotel it cost us 55 euros and we had it from 8:30pm tuesday night until 6:30pm weds. they quoted us 75 euros in the hotel. We drove to Falaraki on the Tuesday night and had a wonder around there, it only took 20 minutes to get there and its a great resort with plenty going on, my husband went on an 18-30's there years ago and he said it has totally changed, there were plenty of families of all ages walking round. We drove to Rhodes old town on the wednesday and also Lindos. This was an excursion they offered in the hotel through First Choice but it would have cost us nearly 200 euros! having the car and being able to come and go as we pleased, I thought was a much better way to do it having young children as it was just so hot walking round and when we had had enough we left. Rhodes old town is definitely worth a visit, I think it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. if I were to go again I would prefer to go around tea time when the sun wasn't so strong.

The food, was very repetitive, and a lot of the time it was cold/ luke warm by the time you got to your table to eat it, I have been to a few 5* in the Caribbean and the food in those hotels was unbelievable, there was always something different and a lot more to choose from through the day. I think for a 5* hotel the food could be a bit better. Although i was impressed with the childrens section with plastic plates, knives and forks. Also they had a microwave, food processor and also a bottle steriliser in the restaurant.

If you want to eat at the al a carte restaurants you need to book these literally the day you get there as we left it until the day after and we could only get one reservation for the Friday, I thought this was very disappointing, may be a system where you could only book up to 3 days in advance might give other people chance if they missed out the first time. This also goes for the high ropes, if you want to book these for your children this needs to be also booked as soon as you arrive as we booked it on the Tuesday and could only get the Thursday.

One thing I really wasn't impressed with was when I booked this holiday I paid £90 for a late checkout as we were flying at 6 am in the morning, I think it is disgusting you pay £90 for a late checkout and it only gives you another 6 hours. With the late checkout included we were due to be kicked out of our rooms at 6pm even though we weren't getting picked up until 2:50am. We had to pay a further 30 euros to be able to keep our rooms until 2 am. If you have booked a late checkout and you need your room like we did until the early hours of the morning you will need to put your name down for this as soon as you arrive at the hotel as we were told its a first come, first served basis.

All in all we all had a fantastic holiday here and i would recommend it to anyone.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank rbleeds
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I Would like to thank you for your review, We are all very pleased to learn that you had a Great Holiday here At the Holiday Village Rhodes, It was our pleasure to look after you and we hope to see you all again soon.

Best wishes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We were greeted with champagne when we arrived and orange juice for our little boy, the restaurant was still open so we were invited to get a bite to eat.
We were in the activity section, the room was lovely, clean and spacious overlooking the pool area.
The food in the main restaurant was gorgeous. There was plenty of variety, a kids corner and the staff were wonderful greeting our little boy with a high 5 each time. We went to the Mexican and Italian Al a carte in our hotel and the lagoon restaurant in the agean blue across the road...All I can say is wow!!!
The pool was fantastic, the water park too our little boy had a wonderful time playing there.
Entertainment was brilliant rory and his team did a great job they are very very talented! The children's activities were excellent throughout the day on one day a member of the team came around and did face painting around the pool.
The hotel was exceptionally clean and tidy, the cleaner who cleaned our room was very friendly always saying hello.
We were very sad to leave especially our little boy who made a great friend. On leaving we were given a bottle of water for the journey and were waved off by the staff. The extra touches made this holiday and we will definitely be returning.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Charlotte C
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review, We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time here at the holiday village rhodes.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Had a great two weeks in the holiday village, yes it was a bit more expensive than what we would normally pay for a holiday but was worth every penny. To start off the food was delicious, didn't have a bad night the whole two weeks we were there, plenty of choice for everyone, especially me fussy three year old. We celebrated out wedding anniversary there and had a lovely suprise when my husband had arranged champagne and a cake, the restaurant staff work very hard and are very polite. Also you can book into a la carte restaurants on your stay, the Mexican was our favourite.
The entertainment team work very hard to make sure everyone enjoys there holiday my little boy made a little friend in Lee and is still talking about him now, 11 days later.
The pools are lovely, I preferred the relax pool as it had the swim up bar which was nice , the only thing was I thought it could of been cleaned after closing a little more, it didn't seem to be washed down round the pool just rubbish cleaned up.
The room was nice , we did not book a swim up room as I was a bit unsure with a three year old but they were really nice to look at , the balcony suited us fine as it was nice and spacious.
Hoping to book again for next year but want to fond out I make sure I get the relax area again again as I think it was just luck. We stayed from 10th June for two weeks, best holiday ever.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are nice but I don't think you would be able to relax much with toddlers
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned home yesterday from HV Rhodes we stayed in the delux area for 2 weeks it was lovely but would probably stay in the activity side when we return next year! The entertainment team work very hard especially Rory, Paige, Jimmy, Hannah and Lee! My youngest daughter went to the swim academy had four lessons and can now swim. Guy and Nicki were excellent with her! My other daughter went to the football academy and Lauren really made her feel welcome and was a lovely person. If I had to say one thing that I was not happy about it would be the fact that we had to pay €90 to keep our room on till six when we didn't arrive until midnight on the first night! But that would be the only thing would defiantly go back and would highly recommend fantastic holiday all round.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Wentworth01

scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed at Holiday Village Rhodes from June 25th till July 2nd with daughter, son-in-law and grandson (23Months) as well as my husband and our granddaughter (8).

Grandaughter totally loved the kids club (super stars) as there were activities on all day for her. Even late at night as there are a few nights where activities are on until 11 o'clock at night. I booked her into the Swimming Academy (I booked before I went (£30 for 5 sessions) or you can book when you arrive if there are places. I cannot praise the instructors Nikki and Guy enough for the time and effort they put into learning the kids as well as making it good fun for them. My granddaughter is a competent swimmer but she learned the backstroke, wiggly worm (butterfly) and was shown how to dive. They also came down to the buses when kids were leaving (along with the football coach) to say cheerio to the kids that attended. This is a must whether your kids can swim or not and the maximum per class is 6. Can't praise this enough.

Can't fault this hotel.

Food was fantastic at all meals - plenty of choice.
Rooms comfortable and clean. My granddaughter was sick day after we arrived and I had to request a change of bed linen for her at 20.00. They arrived after 10 minutes and changed duvet and all bed linen and disinfected the floor.
All areas of the hotel were spotless clean.

Can't say much else about the hotel which has not already been said but my grandchildren are desperate to go back.

5 Thank receptionistScotland

Borders, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is an excellent family holiday resort. No-one does it quite like First Choice, and, although the entertainment is very 'samey' at all the resorts, you know the kids are going to love it! I don't actually understand people choosing to come to this resort if they don't have young children.... The whole holiday is geared towards this, and this is exactly the way it should be. I also can't understand people questioning the 5* rating.... Stars are given based on FACILITIES, and this resort has that in bucketloads!

The rooms are like no other I have stayed in in a European family resort. Solid oak doors, huge big comfortable beds, really efficient air-conditioning and marble bathrooms. The design is really well laid out - but be very careful the room type.... Only 'family' rooms have a separate sleeping area (cordoned off by a room divider). All other rooms are open plan - so all beds in same area. The website and brochures have been updated now to make this clearer.

We stayed in a swim-up room in Activity section, and the extra paid was worth every single penny. It was great to be able to relax on our balcony (no fighting for sunbeds!) or laze in the room whilst keeping an eye on our 6 year old playing in the pool. I have noticed some people moaning that some of the swim-ups are partially in the shade. Believe me, the heat is SO intense, that a little bit of respite in the shade is very, very welcome! I also read some people describe the pools as 'freezing'... I absolutely did not find this! The pool was the perfect temperature to cool down in, and, once you began to swim, it certainly was NOT cold! I have never been to a European hotel which heats an outdoor pool. Surely the risk of infection would be far too high to even consider this anyway. We were there at the end of June. Maybe, if you went earlier in the year, it may be cooler.... I don't know.

The staff here are absolutely FANTASTIC. The First Choice team are so friendly, approachable, wonderful with the children and so very talented! Lovely to see Rory, Paige and Talky Techie again (as they were the team in Menorca when we were there last year). Jimmy and Hannah were a really welcome addition too. Such a down-to-earth, hard working team - a delight!

The Greek staff were all absolutely wonderful too! The restaurant team work so very hard, and are always smiling, welcoming and ready with the 'high fives' for the kids. My wee girl fell in love with the lovely Evi!

The cleaning staff work really, really hard and were really friendly too. I was surprised to see people moan about having to pay for towels and water.... The towel deposit is returned when you return the towels (and you can change them every second day), and the water is FREE if you use common sense and fill your bottle up from the free water machine in the dining room.... All I can say is that some people just seem to like to moan....

The food was plentiful and fresh, so there really is no need for people to push and be rude.... But... they do. It seems to be worse when new people arrive, and maybe think they have to do this, and also at peak times. But that's people... not the hotel. The food WAS a little 'samey'.... The Greek food changed frequently, but the pastas, salads, desserts, soup etc was pretty much the same all the time. My little girl tired of the kids buffet very quickly (chicken nuggets, chips or fish fingers), but happily ate from the main buffet area.

The wine was nice, but the cocktails were a little 'chemically'. They were better from the Sports bar, which was fine to use. We didn't make it to the adult bar, as our daughter didn't want to use the kids clubs.

I used the Spa and had a wonderful facial - I'd definitely recommend this!

We left the hotel for a few days, and visited Rhodes town by car (hired by Nigel at the resort) and also did a Thomsons trip to the Butterfly valley and boat trip to Chalki. Parking in Rhodes was... 'challenging' and you need to be careful to park in a blue lined bay. The trip was nice, but a lot of travelling if you have young children. An hour in the bus, an hour in the boat, and, obviously the same on the way back.

We had to call the Dr out when we were there, as my daughter got ill. He diagnosed gastroentiritis but I think it was actually heat exhaustion. Be careful - the Dr called out will be a private one and your EHIC card will not cover his charge of 130 Euros - no matter what he says!

Rhodes Airport is NOT a nice way to end your holiday! It felt like we were being processed for prison!! Take your own food and don't expect to be treated with respect and dignity like the lovely people at the resort!!

All in all, a great FAMILY holiday!

Room Tip: Swim-up rooms worth every penny. Activity area to be part of the action (and despite what the moane...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank Debbie R

Roscommon, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We have just come back from a two week holiday to Holiday Village Rhodes we stayed in the Deluxe Area in three swim-up rooms one of which had a whirlpool. This is a Holiday village with a difference especially if you stay in the Deluxe Area. You are greeted with a glass of champagne and then your bags are delivered to your room for you. The staff in all areas of the hotel especially the Deluxe Reception and Deluxe Restaurant are fantastic and cannot do enough for you. The rooms are very clean and modern few nice little extra touches like tea and coffee, bathrobe, slippers playstation etc. If you are in Deluxe you have your own separate restaurant with table service which makes a difference. Our party consisted of 7 initially and we had other family members coming a few days after us (booked into the relax area). We contacted the Deluxe area reception and asked could they be upgraded to deluxe area, which they did for us straight away and actually put them in the room next door to us! Most of us visited the spa which deserves a special mention - lovely real 5 star experience. The evening entertainment was great for kids okish for adults although Rory and his team try really hard. I cannot fault this hotel my only tip would be if you can go for deluxe it really is worth the extra money .

2 Thank Kellie S

Best Wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
SENTIDO Port Royal Villas & Spa
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,189 reviews
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#6 of 33 in Kolimbia

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!