“Lovely place great for kids”

Holiday Village Rhodes
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Lovely place great for kids”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The first thing you notice is how friendly the staff are both the Greek staff and the First Choice reps.

Rooms - Really spacious and immaculate. Cleaners came every day and the place was kept spotless, the whole resort is really clean and well kept. We went for a swim up so avoided the lounger issues altogether as we had our own. The kids rooms have playstations and DVDs but the range of discs at reception is limited so would advise you kids to take their favourites. It is nice for them to get a break from the sun at times. That said there is lovely warm breeze the whole time you are there.

Entertainment - Was not expecting much but it was excellent and the entertainment team were really funny. My kids absolutely adored them. It became the highlight of the day and with the exception of me all my family ended up on stage at some point in the holiday. The entertainment team miss British chocolate though so if you bring them some you will get spoiled especially a Toffee Crisp. The kids club is good but it is only 1.5hour slots which sucks if you wanted to use the spa. The range of activities is okay, my kids got bored quite quickly and the safety gear for older kids in watersports is OTT and put my two off altogether. That said my daughter loved the evening entertainment as she had met some friends and they went to the chocolate parties, movie night etc together. My son preferred to watch the shows with us.

Facilities - The water park is great and never over crowded.

Restaurants - We were in the deluxe area so could use the al la carte restaurant which was well above our expectations. The waiting staff were so friendly and really lovely to the kids and the chefs were really talented, the food was gorgeous.

Drinks - The cocktails were great, I thought the wine was fine but would advise you to get it from the sports bar as it seemed to be better and you can't go wrong with sparkly wine so I stuck to that. The drinks in the al la carte restaurant were good quality. The kids loved the slushies, ice cream and popcorn too so we were all happy.

Excursions - Were good but I would wait till you get there to book. Lindos, Chalki and the Valley of Butterflies were all lovely and Rhodes is great but busy - I would go at night by taxi instead of through the resort.

Room Tip: Swim ups in the relax and deluxe area are fab. The activity are is good to access everything but no...
1 Thank Fiona B
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to start by thanking you for your 5 star review, we are very pleased to learn that you had a Great holiday with us and we hope to see you all again soon.

Best Wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked a 2 week break at this hotel which started on July 8th, flying from Manchester.

Upon arrival at 1am we were given a glass of champagne, orange for our daughter and a selection of sandwiches were left in our fridge.

We stayed in the activity area just above the reception, room was modern and was fine for sleeping one young child plus 2 adults. Cleaned daily and always spotless with new towels.

The food was exceptional, fresh and the choice would be enough to satisfy the most fussy of eaters. The drinks were acceptable and again thr bar staff were brilliant. The Italian was worthy of a 5 star hotel and shouldnt be missed!

The hotel staff were an absolute credit, couldn't do enough and were great with the kids as well as just adding that 'something' extra which ive never experienced before whilst on hols.

The several pools were clean and although a little chilly this was welcomed with the 30' heat.

First Choice Staff - all of them were first class. From the exceptional kids clubs, the guys on the frint desk, the swimming coaches and a special mentiin to Lauren and Mike on the football side (thighs getting better guys!).

Entertainment Team - Lee, Jimmy James, Hannah 'legs' Lewis, Paige and the brilliant Rory Cunningham were imo outstanding. The quality and performances really topped off an already wonderful holiday. If a First Choice director reads this then I hope they take it on board and appreciate the talent that they have.

Other tips, hire a car from Nigel at the frint desk and head to Rhodes Town and Lindos, also if scuba or snorkeling is your thing then Waterhoppers are the guys you want!

No doubt that the 2 weeks is above the average cost of a holiday but we all agreed that it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a swim up room if you can. Plenty of spare loungers in the relax area.
4 Thank Scott M
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Please allow me to thank you for your 5 star review, it was our pleasure to welcome you to the Holiday Village Rhodes and we hope very much to see you all return again soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

On our last day of a 10 day holiday at HV Rhodes and can't fault it - Great staff and facilities with fantastic weather - The food is plentiful and varied, providing for those who are more health conscious as well as offering "guilty pleasures" for those who want it - The management are highly visible and responsive and can't do enough - I guess for some people that is not enough, but the age of the keyboard warrior is king - Thanks HV Rhodes for a great holiday and we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Badders144

Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

In my opinion the best thing about HV Rhodes is the people who work there. They are all super friendly and looking to help. At one point i actually left my wallet in the room with plenty of Euros in it. When i realised this later in the day, after the room had been cleaned, i found my wallet on the bedside unit with every single Euro still there. This just raised my opinion of the locals even more.
The hotel itself is very good. The food is very good for buffet and there are plenty of choices available. The ala carte restaurants, which there are 3 of, are all very good. 2 are much better than the other imo but still very good.
The rooms are very nice, modern and comfortable. The walls must be pretty thin because if the family next door are up, then you are up - or maybe we just had noisey neighbours. We had a swim up room but due to the direction it was facing we probably only had sun on about a quarter of it, but it was for the majority of the day.
The entertainment team do a good job and attract a good crowd in the evenings. Once the entertainment stops the atmosphere seems to die. Most people in the resort must be tucked up by midnight as there's very few people going around. There is always loads to do for the kids, more so for younger ones i would say, although there are slides, a football pitch, tennis court, etc for older ones. My daughter who is 14 says she has 'post holiday blues' so i guess that says something in itself. Both my kids made lots of good friends, as did we, the adults.
As for location, there are some other restaurants and shops near by but not loads. Kolimbia is pretty much half an hour from both Lindos and Rhodes, both of which are really worth a visit, beautiful towns.
I do have a bit of a whinge but it's not the hotels fault really, more to do with the tour operator. We flew from Manchester on the Sat evening, got to the hotel after 6 am on the Sunday but when leaving 2 weeks later we had to check out for noon on the Saturday. To me that was not 14 nights. We discussed things with the rep and i understand how 'technically' the room was ours for 14 nights but that's not what we got, we got 13 nights so be very sure of what your getting for your money. We had to check out on the Sat, move next door to the Agean Blue (which was very nice), check in there for a day before going home. That cost an extra €120.
To summarise, we really enjoyed it, the people were great, the hotel / resort is really nice, the food is more than decent and we would defo go back. I would just pay more attention to flight times.

Room Tip: Hire a car and explore the island. It's well worth it.
3 Thank sjf1903
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, i was very pleased to learn that you had a very enjoyable time, it was our pleasure to welcome you to the Holiday Village Rhodes and we hope to see you all return again soon.

Best wishes.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Food - excellent ...........although we could only get into the greek a la carte night ......not really a problem as choice every night was so varied .........

Room - we asked for a sunny room and thats what we got ...........block 5700 in Relax ...........block 5500 and 5600 would have been perfect but we enjoyed what we we were given

Staff were lovely ...........special thanks to Evie in the restaurant (she was lovely) and Rory was excellent for entertainment ........the one night he wasn't there we retired to our room early as we were bored (he puts the boost into all the other lovely entertainment staff)

We did the pirate ship excursion and I must admit given my time again we wouldn't have spent the money - our lad(8) enjoyed it but I didn't think it was value for money .........I personally believe its downfall was it was led by normal reps not childrens club reps

Recommend the water park (free bus service) and getting out to Rhodes old town/Lindos - we made use of the free packed lunch which was ok (not brilliant) ... a cob rather than a sandwich would have been nicer..........but it saved us spending extra money

despite the negatives I have written about I still value this holiday as very good ........we had a swim up room in Relax and it was lovely .............we would go back again

Room Tip: sunny rooms are block 5500 5600 and 5700 in relax
1 Thank Rachael F
Thomas M, Operation Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 11 November 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us and hope to welcome you back again.

Best wishes
Bradford
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just returned from our 10 day holiday from the HV Rhodes this morning. Can honestly say this is the best Holiday Village from First Choice. The cleanliness of the whole village is first class it's absolutely spotless. The food & drink were amazing with lots of choice even for fussy eaters like myself. We had a 3 course meal in the Italian restaurant which was really really nice.
Now onto the staff- the restaurant staff including John, Dimitris & the lovely lady with long blonde hair(sorry didn't get her name) as well as all the waiters/waitresses couldn't do enough for us & welcomed us at every meal time with a hi five & a huge smile. The entertainments team are the best Rory, Hannah, Jimmy, Lee & Paige are an absolute credit to the HV & First Choice, the shows that they put on for us all were just fab thoroughly enjoyed everyone. Rory is a superstar in his own right- HV Rhodes is so lucky to have him lead there team, the guy is a true legend!
We stayed in room 2711 which from the front overlooked the activity pool & from the balcony the smaller pool it was perfect for us only a minute walk to all amenities, the room was a good size for the 3 of us very modern with a great size bathroom including a bath with a shower over & also a seperate shower cubicle. Would just like to say a massive thank you to all the staff for an amazing holiday & giving us great memories to treasure.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank 12578

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Staying here at present and while I've never written a review on anywhere I have to say this place has annoyed me. Food is just awful and those saying its anything but need to really look at their diet.

My kids loved this place and naturally so. Pools and entertainment are great for them and evening shows keep them happy (which would keep any parent happy). Nothing much on offer for kids under 3, talk of a crèche at a cost but is always empty ( glorified babysitting )

The actual hotel management is poor, we've tried every day here to get an 'a la carte' booking (even though I've heard this is still the same food) and not one person has been able to help us... Keep getting stories about a system and blah blah blah in this day and age I'm sure it's simple to tell a customer if you have a table or not on a given night.

I think this place needs to make it easier for parents so they can try and enjoy themselves for whatever free time they may get.

Agree with other reviews the reps are great, so good with kids but you'd expect nothing less in a place like this.

In summary, I think the food and hotel management is it's biggest fault. Get a new chef, menu or food supplier as this has ruined the holiday for us, even my kids find most of the food inedible. Considering it's an all inclusive holiday this is a massive factor so sorry HV Rhodes only 3/5 from us.

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Andrew F
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

First let me start by thanking you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
Reading your review I was concerned that you are unhappy and I would like to comment on your review.
- I see that you are not enjoying the food and our menus. I also see that you are saying that our Guests that are very happy with our food, have to look at their diets. Personal taste is something very subjective and we cannot expect form every Guest to rate our Food offering as excellent. I would like to assure you though that every emphasis of effort is made from the Holiday Village Rhodes to ensure variety, taste and healthy options is of prior importance. We are very proud of our customer feedback on our food scores and I’m sorry that you feel dissatisfied, but you are in the very small minority.
- You have also mentioned that you would like the Holiday Village Rhodes Entertainment team to make it easier for parents to have time alone.The Holiday Village Rhodes is a family friendly Hotel and the First Choice team however do have measures in place to look after your children if required. I would advise you to speak to the First Choice team.I would also like to advise future Guests to attend theFirst Choice team welcome meeting in order to be informed about these services.
- Finally you have mentioned that the Hotel management lets the hotel down.As the Operation Manager of the Hotel I and my superior have never had any contact with you, even if we are around the Hotel for many hours each day.Please note, since reading your review it would be nice to meet you to discuss your issues.Due to delays on Trip Advisor postings, I believe that it would rather better if you had asked for me at Reception, to ensure you had the best possible stay and fix any problems you have had. In any way I will try to find you within the Hotel and have a discussion in order to find ways to make your holidays most enjoyable for the reminder of your stay with us.

Best wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
#6 of 34 in Kolimbia
Elysium Resort & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
#1 of 20 in Kallithea

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!