“My first experience in holidayvillage Rhodes”

and 1 more site!
Holiday Village Rhodes
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Omg, best holiday ever, we went on July 16 2014 for 2 weeks. Just me and my hubby, our kids are all grown up. We stayed in a suite with own pool. Can't express how helpful and friendly the staff are, place so clean and well looked after. Food is lovely and plenty of it and I'm a fussy eater. If u want activity for kids it's one of the best and if u want peace and quiet the delux has it all. We hired a car off Nigel and he was so helpful and put us at easy and after a week of the car and doing all the island we got a quad bike and did the hidden treasures of the island, old town is a must. Sat and tried it find a fault cos some people had some and they are mad cos we couldn't find one.would defo go back again. The 3 most helpful people that stood our a mile was the 2 George's and Zoe in the deluxe area. Our maid namula was lovely. Thanks to all at holiday village for making my holiday the best ever.

Room Tip: Any swim up room or suite with own pool, u can't go wrong
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sandra H
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to start by thanking you for your 5 star review, we are very pleased to learn that you had a Great holiday with us and we hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was a fantastic family holiday. there were not enough hours in the day for all the activity's in this hotel. the rooms were perfect. we were in a room beside the pool. it was amazing. just stepping out of bed and straight into a pool. the kids loved the swim academy cost €32 for 5 lessons, razmataz dance academy €30 i think. football academy. all activitys the kids recieved certificates at the end, a t shirt and bag for each one, which the kids were delighted with.
the entertainment was fantastic at night. i cant even explain how fantastic this holiday village is. the staff greeted us with champagne and juice for the children. always high 5's for the kids and the adults at all meal times. then on leaving we all received a nice cold bottle of water before stepping on the bus, while they all waved us off. from start to finish it was superb :)

Room Tip: 3003 was fab, step outside onto the balcony and out to the pool. sun in the evening.
1  Thank Creativefairy I

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Having read all the reviews on the HV beforehand, and bearing in mind the price paid (higher than we would normally pay for a week's holiday), we had very high expectations of this resort. Unfortunately, it did not live up to them and I will explain why in the most constructive way possible to ensure others will find this review useful. I will start with the pros:

Excellent hotel for kids - loads of kids clubs, activities, unlimited ice creams and snacks all day every day (not the case in a lot of AI hotels where snacks and ice creams are only served at set times)
Pretty decent food
Good variety of pools and areas to hang out in
Nice water park
The high ropes challenge, which is included in the price, was very much enjoyed by all. Definitely book this!
The weather - hot!
The surrounding area - nice with a few good restaurants and the usual bars and shops.
And last but not least - the service from all the staff, both the hotel staff and the first choice staff, was superb. Always with a smile on their face, great with the kids - compliments to all of them.

And now the cons. Please be aware that I don't like moaning and like I said before, had high expectations of this resort so it disappoints me to write this:

This is a high 3* hotel/ low 4* hotel at best. The reason we booked the HV was so that the kids would have a great time with loads to do but also, based on the 5* rating, that we as adults could have a little bit of luxury and enjoy our holiday as well. We had a room in the 'relax' area which was pretty basic, overlooking the pool. However, the other side of our room faced onto the hotel opposite, who did not have a 'relax' policy. If you have much younger kids then you would be annoyed by the loud music blasting out until late from their pool area, it's very loud in the room. Our room was not cleaned well at all either - the bathroom was dirty and the balcony was never cleared. The beds were comfortable, but our bedding wasn't changed at all in our weeks stay and the towels were not changed very often, even when we left them on the floor! It was not made clear whether the minibar was included (we're still unsure!) and we were only told on the third day that the water from the taps was in fact drinkable - you would have thought HV would have made a big deal of that. We were getting annoyed by the lack of water bottles in the room until we eventually realised! Also, incredibly annoyingly, you have to pay 20 EUR for the safe!!!! On a 4 and a half grand holiday in a '5* hotel', this is absolutely disgusting. Its not a refundable deposit either. I know it's not a huge amount of money but it's the principle. The alcohol on the resort was laughable. We understand its a family friendly resort and we weren't there on a 'drinking holiday' but the drinks were disgusting and awful. We ended up going to the shop opposite to buy drinks in the end. I think the biggest flaw of the hotel, however, was the positioning of the main buffet restaurant. The majority of the seats are on an outside terrace which overlooks the main stage with the incredibly loud evening entertainment. It should be optional as to whether you watch the entertainment or not - trying to sit and have a family dinner was impossible as it was so loud in the restaurant from the stage, and the kids were gawping, understandably, at the entertainment. We felt that this was a poor decision in terms of location. Even in the greek a la carte restaurant you have to listen to the entertainment! In terms of options of bars away from the entertainment, there is the sports bar which is completely lacking in ambience (think brightly lit classroom) and the deluxe adults only bar which we can't comment on as, like everyone else, we were on a family holiday which to us made the deluxe bar a bit redundant as you can't take the kids in there...! Another issue we had was booking into the a la carte restaurants - we were told they were full and we could only get into the greek restaurant (they could squeeze us in)- on arrival, it was empty! So we can't comment on the other ones. I think the hotel needs a better booking system for these restaurants. I would also like to comment on the fact that booking into activities like high ropes, football academy, razzmattaz etc (which we paid for in advance) was badly handled and as a result the 6 years old only got to do 2 of the 3 days on the football academy. However, this is more an issue with first choice rather than the hotel.

In conclusion, we still had a lovely holiday as it was a good break, but we feel the hotel is a bit hyped up. Its great if you have young kids and don't have high expectations of a relaxing holiday as adults (as relaxed as you can get with children anyway!). Would we go back or recommend? No. We've done quite a few different all inclusive holidays with the kids like this one and I have to say that this one sadly was the most disappointing!

Also - ladies, I ignored the other reviews that said this and didn't bother (silly me), but, do bring your own hairdryer!

7  Thank Caroline0190
Thomas M, Operation manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2014

Dear Guest, i would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, i have noted the issues you have made and will continue to improve our hotel for 2014/2015, i do hope you have some nice memories to take home with you.

best wishes

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The first thing you notice is how friendly the staff are both the Greek staff and the First Choice reps.

Rooms - Really spacious and immaculate. Cleaners came every day and the place was kept spotless, the whole resort is really clean and well kept. We went for a swim up so avoided the lounger issues altogether as we had our own. The kids rooms have playstations and DVDs but the range of discs at reception is limited so would advise you kids to take their favourites. It is nice for them to get a break from the sun at times. That said there is lovely warm breeze the whole time you are there.

Entertainment - Was not expecting much but it was excellent and the entertainment team were really funny. My kids absolutely adored them. It became the highlight of the day and with the exception of me all my family ended up on stage at some point in the holiday. The entertainment team miss British chocolate though so if you bring them some you will get spoiled especially a Toffee Crisp. The kids club is good but it is only 1.5hour slots which sucks if you wanted to use the spa. The range of activities is okay, my kids got bored quite quickly and the safety gear for older kids in watersports is OTT and put my two off altogether. That said my daughter loved the evening entertainment as she had met some friends and they went to the chocolate parties, movie night etc together. My son preferred to watch the shows with us.

Facilities - The water park is great and never over crowded.

Restaurants - We were in the deluxe area so could use the al la carte restaurant which was well above our expectations. The waiting staff were so friendly and really lovely to the kids and the chefs were really talented, the food was gorgeous.

Drinks - The cocktails were great, I thought the wine was fine but would advise you to get it from the sports bar as it seemed to be better and you can't go wrong with sparkly wine so I stuck to that. The drinks in the al la carte restaurant were good quality. The kids loved the slushies, ice cream and popcorn too so we were all happy.

Excursions - Were good but I would wait till you get there to book. Lindos, Chalki and the Valley of Butterflies were all lovely and Rhodes is great but busy - I would go at night by taxi instead of through the resort.

Room Tip: Swim ups in the relax and deluxe area are fab. The activity are is good to access everything but no...
1  Thank Fiona B

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked a 2 week break at this hotel which started on July 8th, flying from Manchester.

Upon arrival at 1am we were given a glass of champagne, orange for our daughter and a selection of sandwiches were left in our fridge.

We stayed in the activity area just above the reception, room was modern and was fine for sleeping one young child plus 2 adults. Cleaned daily and always spotless with new towels.

The food was exceptional, fresh and the choice would be enough to satisfy the most fussy of eaters. The drinks were acceptable and again thr bar staff were brilliant. The Italian was worthy of a 5 star hotel and shouldnt be missed!

The hotel staff were an absolute credit, couldn't do enough and were great with the kids as well as just adding that 'something' extra which ive never experienced before whilst on hols.

The several pools were clean and although a little chilly this was welcomed with the 30' heat.

First Choice Staff - all of them were first class. From the exceptional kids clubs, the guys on the frint desk, the swimming coaches and a special mentiin to Lauren and Mike on the football side (thighs getting better guys!).

Entertainment Team - Lee, Jimmy James, Hannah 'legs' Lewis, Paige and the brilliant Rory Cunningham were imo outstanding. The quality and performances really topped off an already wonderful holiday. If a First Choice director reads this then I hope they take it on board and appreciate the talent that they have.

Other tips, hire a car from Nigel at the frint desk and head to Rhodes Town and Lindos, also if scuba or snorkeling is your thing then Waterhoppers are the guys you want!

No doubt that the 2 weeks is above the average cost of a holiday but we all agreed that it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a swim up room if you can. Plenty of spare loungers in the relax area.
4  Thank Scott M
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Please allow me to thank you for your 5 star review, it was our pleasure to welcome you to the Holiday Village Rhodes and we hope very much to see you all return again soon.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

On our last day of a 10 day holiday at HV Rhodes and can't fault it - Great staff and facilities with fantastic weather - The food is plentiful and varied, providing for those who are more health conscious as well as offering "guilty pleasures" for those who want it - The management are highly visible and responsive and can't do enough - I guess for some people that is not enough, but the age of the keyboard warrior is king - Thanks HV Rhodes for a great holiday and we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Badders144

Dear Guest,

Best wishes to you and your family.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

In my opinion the best thing about HV Rhodes is the people who work there. They are all super friendly and looking to help. At one point i actually left my wallet in the room with plenty of Euros in it. When i realised this later in the day, after the room had been cleaned, i found my wallet on the bedside unit with every single Euro still there. This just raised my opinion of the locals even more.
The hotel itself is very good. The food is very good for buffet and there are plenty of choices available. The ala carte restaurants, which there are 3 of, are all very good. 2 are much better than the other imo but still very good.
The rooms are very nice, modern and comfortable. The walls must be pretty thin because if the family next door are up, then you are up - or maybe we just had noisey neighbours. We had a swim up room but due to the direction it was facing we probably only had sun on about a quarter of it, but it was for the majority of the day.
The entertainment team do a good job and attract a good crowd in the evenings. Once the entertainment stops the atmosphere seems to die. Most people in the resort must be tucked up by midnight as there's very few people going around. There is always loads to do for the kids, more so for younger ones i would say, although there are slides, a football pitch, tennis court, etc for older ones. My daughter who is 14 says she has 'post holiday blues' so i guess that says something in itself. Both my kids made lots of good friends, as did we, the adults.
As for location, there are some other restaurants and shops near by but not loads. Kolimbia is pretty much half an hour from both Lindos and Rhodes, both of which are really worth a visit, beautiful towns.
I do have a bit of a whinge but it's not the hotels fault really, more to do with the tour operator. We flew from Manchester on the Sat evening, got to the hotel after 6 am on the Sunday but when leaving 2 weeks later we had to check out for noon on the Saturday. To me that was not 14 nights. We discussed things with the rep and i understand how 'technically' the room was ours for 14 nights but that's not what we got, we got 13 nights so be very sure of what your getting for your money. We had to check out on the Sat, move next door to the Agean Blue (which was very nice), check in there for a day before going home. That cost an extra €120.
To summarise, we really enjoyed it, the people were great, the hotel / resort is really nice, the food is more than decent and we would defo go back. I would just pay more attention to flight times.

Room Tip: Hire a car and explore the island. It's well worth it.
3  Thank sjf1903

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, i was very pleased to learn that you had a very enjoyable time, it was our pleasure to welcome you to the Holiday Village Rhodes and we hope to see you all return again soon.

Best wishes.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
#9 of 34 in Kolimbia
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#7 of 34 in Kolimbia

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!