“AN HONEST AND ACCURATE REVIEW”

Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Kolimbia
Manchester, United Kingdom
“AN HONEST AND ACCURATE REVIEW”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We booked a family holiday through Thomson and decided to stay here after my sister had stayed in the Egypt Holiday village and mentioned how good it was for the kids. I must first start with how poorly Thomson Holidays managed our booking. They some how managed to book myself and my sisters rooms in totally separate parts of the hotel and refused point blank to fix there own mistake, however I must mention Celena who is the manager at the hotel as she ever so kindly managed to sort out the situation and amend Thomson's incompetence.

Also while speaking about Thomson's lack of competence, I must state that this holiday was sold to us as quote "Crème de la Crème" and "ultimate family luxury" This leads me to my review....

We arranged through Thomson there private taxi hire, and what turned up was a normal taxi which had no room for all our luggage and pram. I could have walked over to the taxi rank myself and asked for the same but for half the price!

Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who gave us stickers to put on our own suitcases so they ended up at our room. Not a big issue but this seemed to set the standard as normally in "5 star hotels" this wouldn't be the guests problem.

The rooms: extremely clean but not very big at all. My sons cot was as hard as the marble floor so he ended up sleeping in our bed. The bathroom was nice and to be fair was a decent size. There was a bottle of complimentary water and a few cans of drink however this never once in the 2 weeks got restocked.

The Buffet Restaurant and food: The buffet food was fantastic... honestly couldn't fault it once with a wide range of foods all fresh and good choice for every meal, however not once were we offered a drink from a waiter as everything even coffee in the morning is self service which is strange in any grade of hotel never mind 5 star. The chairs which you sit on were plastic and almost reminded me of a school canteen. Id say at least half of the chairs I sat on in the 2 weeks were cracked which literally pinch your legs as u sit in them (will attempt to upload pics) Also The restaurant is far too small for the amount of guests in there, people literally pushing and battling to get to food. The drinks are appalling... The wine (which is self serve from a pump) tastes like petrol and the drinks from the soft drinks pump were never of the correct concentrate. Either far too week or too strong. The water tap (yes tap) tasted vile and dirty and let it be known that bottled water is chargeable, so many days during my meal I didn't drink anything as it was that bad.

In and around the pool: Pool was perfect temperature and large size which the kids loved, also what was great was having the water park on site. Please beware that when entering the pool from the 2 large slides that your feet hit the water 1st because the gap between the end of the slides and the steps is so small I and many others crashed into the steps. The drinks around the pool during the day are as bad as in the restaurant. drinks are served out of a paper cup unless you request a plastic one (obviously can't be served in glass) and again they taste terrible. The result of this is people go to the hotel shop and end up buying proper drinks which considering this hotel is all inclusive is unacceptable. Everyone I spoke to poolside shared this opinion and ended up spending hundreds on proper beverages. Which is somewhat of a con as the hotel shop is owned by the hotel. Remember bottled water was not available unless you payed for it which I couldn't believe and they had the cheek to charge 2 Euros for bottled water at the bar.

Hotel gym: Well this is not even a gym!!!! its a shoe box with 3 sets of dumbells inside.. Wouldn't even pass as a gym in a 3 star hotel.. ridiculous!! Also the gym had no lighting in it so is somewhat dangerous.

Entertainment: Entertainment team were second to none. the best entertainment by far in any hotel i'v witnessed. I must name check Rory who has everyone in stitches. So much for the kids to get involved with day and night, couldn't fault it. What I Can fault is the amount of plastic garden chairs they put out. Half of which don't get used and there is no way a pram can get through the seating area or a wheel chair or any emergency access if required.

What I also find it uncomprehend able was the fact that the safe in your room was only available for a charge... yes a charge and not deposit!!! I have never heard of this is any 5 star hotel.

So in a summary this hotel is by no means at all anywhere near 5 star although you certainly pay 5 star prices when booking. Please do not believe what Thomson's tell you! This holiday however is fantastic for the kids and a good family holiday.... A 4 star holiday at the most all be it!

Room Tip: Do Not choose swim up rooms.. massive con. Most get no sun at all and the pool leading up to your ro...
10 Thank stephen p
Thomas M, Operation Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 11 November 2014
Dear Guest,

I see that you have stated that you found our hotel lovely, and thank you for the compliments you have made, despite your issue withyour tour operator we do hope you have some nice memories to take home with you.

Best Wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I visited here with my mum and six-year-old brother for the first time for a week as we haven't ever travelled abroad as a family and my mum and I haven't properly been abroad for about 10 years now, and this place was absolutely top-notch.

The food is WONDERFUL; so much variety that it was almost overwhelming and very good quality. The main Olive restaurant tends to get quite hectic during dinner time but the staff and waiting team are so warm, friendly, and attentive that this isn't a problem at all and not once did we wish that we weren't there. Food was constantly being replenished so there was plenty for everyone and the restaurant also featured several show cookings for each meal which were delicious.

The rooms were consistently kept very clean and coffee, tea etc. was replenished daily, despite the paperwork stating that this was not included within the all-inclusive package. There was the odd occasion when milk was not supplied but this was easily sorted out at reception and my mother was given as many as she needed. The hotel also has free wi-fi in all rooms and certain areas throughout the hotel and I never found myself unable to connect to it.

The reception staff and staff in general were extremely generous and helpful and will happily deal with any queries you may have. My family decided to book 3 places for a glass-bottom boat trip to a few of the beaches in and around Kolymbia so we could explore more of the island which was beautiful, and even took us to the hidden gem that is Red Sun Beach which is basically private and absolutely stunning. The staff always made sure we had everything we needed and I couldn't fault them one bit.

We booked via Thompson/First Choice so all of our hotel transfers included which were flawless and we ran into no problems getting to and from the hotel. The hotel staff even handed out bottles of water, greeted us goodbye and waved us off when we left which I thought was really nice!

The entertainment always kept children staying at the hotel entertained and there is always something for everyone happening. The kids' club is top-notch and my brother really enjoyed visiting the Club during one of their chocolate parties. The pools are very, very clean and there is always somewhere to get food/drinks/ice cream from no matter which pool you are visiting. The cocktails were one of the highlights of our holiday!

This hotel completely excelled our expectations and we cannot wait to stay here again next year. My little brother gets bored very easily and is VERY annoying and hard to deal with at times, but even he said that he loved it, which is saying something!

Now, for some tips:
- There is a very nice, little boutique clothing store around the corner from the hotel, which can be found by turning right from the hotel entrance and then left at the end of the road, and the woman who owns it is incredibly nice.
- There are also several international cash points within easy each to the hotel, the closest being about a 2/3 minute walk away. The beach is also about a 5 minute walk away and is very nice.
- Apparently, the all-inclusive package enables you to use the facilities at any neighbouring Atlantica hotels, meaning you can visit the pool within these other hotels, use the bar etc.
- Whist the Activity Pool and Children's Pool are very nice, they can get quite busy during the day so nearing towards the end of our holiday we decided to visit the relax area which was much quieter and nicer in general after being surrounded by so many people for so long. Non-deluxe area guests can use the Activity area, Relax area, and tropical area as part of their package, but not the deluxe area.

As I said, the hotel is absolutely fantastic and there are so many excursions to choose from as well as trips outside of the hotel which reception can book for you should you want to see more of the area, and the surroundings of the hotel are beautiful as well. It's a very desolate but naturalistic area and my family CANNOT wait to visit here again next year. We literally had the time of our lives. Thank you!

Room Tip: Rooms within the relax area are generally quieter but we stayed in the activity earlier and had no c...
4 Thank Jade G
Thomas M, Operations Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time here at the holiday village Rhodes, We very much hope to see you all again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

In summary, this was a great venue with wonderful, attentive staff. We hired two rooms, one swim-up, which were both clean, roomy and very comfortable. The food was great, with lots of variety although at times the main buffet area could get very busy but the restaurants were quaint and very pleasant. There is free wi-fi throughout and plenty of activities to keep all ages occupied especially children. The entertainment team was excellent but what made them really good was that they knew their limitations and played on them and did not take themselves too seriously. I especially liked Rory’s honest comments about the guest acts and in particular the so-called Robby Williams tribute act! There was, of course, a mixture of guests with varied backgrounds but aside the odd steroid-addicts and the divas craving attention (Rachel from Cambridge – a ‘domestic goddess’ who was beaten in a duvet challenge by two men), guests were relaxed, stress-free and generally great to be with. All five of us had a lovely time but be sure to venture out of the resort and visit some of the delights of Rhodes.

3 Thank C S
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time here at the holiday village Rhodes, We very much hope to see you all again soon.

Best Wishes

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Best holiday we have had going here....great food, great entertainment team, great facilities and service with a smile.......

Thanks to Rory , Paige, Lee, Hannah, and Jimmy for the laughs, they all worked hard and we had such fun.

Pools great.......

Restaurant are fab......

The resort is derelict nothing outside the hotel

Water sports near the local beach.....
We booked with arceti to go to Lindos, a boat trip at €15 each.....

Definitely 5 star for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in the relax area.....Definatly the best area.
2 Thank Paul R

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This review is for couples who are looking to get married at the Holiday Village Rhodes. I got married here on 18th August 2014 and one word to describe my wedding - perfect!

Rachel Locke the guest relations manager and Lenka the wedding co-ordinator organised everything for me. I met with them for half an hour on my first day, told them what I wanted and that was it - I was free to enjoy my holiday.

The wedding chapel gets decorated with lovely sashes, a table with bird cages on and flowers of your colour choice. I opted to pay extra for chair covers, well worth it as they were bright white and look good on pictures. You get married outside of the chapel but it is shaded from the sun. The ceremony is simple and read in Greek (translated by Lenka) and then the cake is brought out for bride and groom to taste (greek tradition)

I opted to have my reception in the Pearl Bar due to the heat I didn't want to be outside in the sun. I paid 20 euro per head for finger buffet and I was not disappointed! The food was out of this world, open sandwiches, salad, cheeses, hot buffet, luxury mini puddings....loads of food and presented beautifully. In the pearl bar you can get cocktails as well as all other drinks ( this is all included on your all inc band)

Then we had a 2 hour break ( time for kids to go swimming) and then we opted for Greek Restaurant at night - again Rachel had organised for a wedding table to be decorated so all my guests sat together and the food was beautiful. For our puddings the wedding cake came back out and everyone got a piece.

The cake - you have an option of heart or circle with colour scheme of your choice. Cake was lovely with fresh cream in.

There are obviously lots of other options like photographers, greek dancers ect ect which you can choose before you go or when you are there. You can email Lenka about 6 weeks before you travel and she answers straight away.

Hairdresser - I got the hairdresser that the hotel normally use and she was brilliant. Done really lovely hairstyles for myself and my bridesmaids.

After our evening reception my wedding party was invited onto the stage by Rory to dance Choc-o-late and I 5 live which was brill!!

All in all a perfect wedding day, would do it all again tomorrow! I had 40 guests and every person said they would return to this hotel and would def recommend getting married here.

4 Thank leanne19807

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Both myself and hubby went on holiday with our daughter son-in-law and grandchildren to the Holiday Village in Rhodes. What a fab place, so good for kids of all ages, we could also escape to the Adult only bar in the evening if we had wanted to, but it was brilliant to see the kids and parents enjoying the excellent entertainment that was on offer. The resturant was beautifully run, the staff was excellent as was the reps, especially Lauren the football coach, who went out of her way to help my grandson, and Stephnie who also could not do enough for us, entertainment team were so good, especially the charity night on Friday, full of fun from the afternoon until the night time, we also saw some excellent singers later in the adult bar that was also made up from the reps that came over to sing, wow that was amazing especially on Thursday when they performed Swing music, would have paid extra to see that anywhere else, all in all a wonderful hotel, run by excellent management and staff who ensure that everything is clean, friendly, and above all that the guests of all ages are happy, you can ask for no more than that we had a wonderful time thanks to a fab team

4 Thank keely h

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

From the minute we arrived at the Holiday Village activity side we knew we were going to have a fantastic 2 weeks. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and taken straight to the restaurant whilst our bags were taken to our room. We are a family of 2 adults 2 children (10 & 15) and my mum came with us. We had 2 swim up rooms next to each other on the activity side and it was perfect - room 2201 & 2202 we had the sun up until 2pm and then welcomed the shade for the rest of the afternoon. Im not sure why there are negative reviews about the local beach, we thought it was brilliant and walked down most days for a swim in the sea, it is pebbles but so what! the sea is beautiful and the snorkelling outside Sexy Billys beach Bar was amazing!! we also hired a speedboat 55 euros for an hour it was fantastic, the views were stunning. If you do get a chance visit the monastery at the top of tsambiika mountain go just for the amazing views! We hired a car from Nigel (Rodos cars) he is in reception every day and was really really helpful. The food is fantastic and the restaurant staff are all so lovely (Evie & John). The best part of this holiday without a doubt was the entertainment team Rory we are still laughing about you now, you truly made our holiday fantastic and we think you are brilliant! Lee you are a lovely lovely person a fantastic dancer and singer and hopefully we will see you when you get back home to Brum! you made us so welcome and were like a friend to us and of course Nathan and your mum! Jimmy, Paige and Hannah you were also brilliant and you all work so hard, we laughed so much every night and absolutely loved the shows that you put on. Torquay Techie who runs everything from his mission control box does a brilliant job - You all make a fantastic team! We had the best holiday ever and recommend this hotel to everyone - if you are booked to go soon you really will have a fantastic time!

6 Thank paula p

Holiday Village Rhodes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
SENTIDO Port Royal Villas & Spa
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#7 of 33 in Kolimbia
Princess Andriana Resort & Spa

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!