“Outstanding - already booked for next year”

Holiday Village Rhodes
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Well here we go from the begining. I am not the sort of person who normally contributes but thought I would to put some perspective on the current Trip Advisor rating - it's wrong.

I asked a family friend in the travel business for somewhere new, great for the children and somewhere with few touches of luxury - it was a choice of HVR or Sensatori Crete.

I booked HVR (Holiday Village Rhodes) as it had a swim up room (similar to villa style holiday we normally do) in the activity area 2 months before departure. Then I started looking at "trip advisor". I was concerned to stay the least !!!

I shouldn't have worried it was all absolutely great. 4 Hours flight was a pain but the transfer was only 30 minutes by coach.
Reception area was modern and clean - even though slightly confusing as our coach dropped us off in the Relax area.
Food was good quality and varied - breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks through the day.
Drinks were plentiful. Any choice till midnight, all local but decent quality ( the bar staff must take some classes on smiling - but then this is All inclusive and they didn't make any tips).
Room was nicely cooled, lovely beds, modern bathroom - just enough space (and cleaned every day)
The swim up part was the real winner ! in and out of the hot sun all day - we didn't see a cloud for 2 weeks.

The adventure slides, lazy river was like having your own aqua park 20 metres from you door. Needless to say my children loved it.

The hotel shop was fine with chocolate, lilos and daily papers.

The entertainment was the best I've seen for ages, Gavin & Dave made us laugh all the time and in fact the whole team were excellent.

Overall a deserving 4.5 out of 5 and best of all it thoroughly "exceeded our expectations". We have booked for next year - same time and same place only change is we are moving to Royal Deluxe area (hopefully Carl will read this and make good his offer - thanks Carl ).

PS - on a slightly negative note - Cardiff airport is an absolute joke - bad parking, bad check in (remember only 25kgs max per case - we had to buy an extra suitcase at the airport) - understaffed customs on return flight at midnight. Directors of airport be ashamed - go and look at Bristol airport and improve before you lose all your business !

Reviewed 16 August 2010

Room.
Stayed in 5612, a family room upstairs opposite the pool bar in the relax area with an extra large balcony (ideal for storing the empty cases and pool equipment). Absolutely no problem with the room. Decent size comfy beds with the sliding door to give us (and our 16 year old daughter) a bit of privacy. The rooms were quiet when the balcony door was closed and the A/C was adequate if it was left on at 18 degrees. Ask for a second key at reception. We had no problems with cleaning. There are buzzers to press if you would like the cleaner to come into your room and another if you don't want to be disturbed. Might be worth taking a few spare coat hangers with you if you. Plenty of storage space.
No negatives as we managed to find the code for the safe. (123456)

Swimming Pools/Sunbeds
Absolutely no problems with the sunbeds, although my wife is an early riser (my snoring helps with this) there were spare sunbeds EVERY day in the relax area. The only time you have to get up really early is if there is a large group of you and you want to be together.
I only went over to the activity side to see the kids on the slides but it was definitely busier and people said there was a sunbed shortage there.
Two negatives were some of the tiles on the pool floor were coming up resulting in quite a few cut toes for kids and adults alike. They tried to resolve it by sending divers down to refix them but basically, it needs draining first and that obviously isn't going to happen until after the season finishes.
Quite a few people had brand new swimwear ruined in the pools and some people with blonde hair tended to sport trendy green hair after swimming in the relax pool.
Persil soap powder got the blame on one occasion but Carl was still searching for a reason as we left.

Staff
I found the staff absolutely fantastic. My favourite was Georgia in the relax bar and she kept everything ticking over with the help of Tom, Tomas and the nice young man who fell off his motor bike. The staff in the restaurant were friendly and welcoming and always had a smile in spite of being very busy. Special mention to Nicholas, the Aussie Greek and all the chefs who were good fun.
We spent most nights in the sports bar and the barstaff were professional and hardworking. We found the staff in both reception areas friendly and helpful with a special mention for Tammy in the relax area and American Nikos in the activity side.
Carl was always approachable and sorted my daughters 16th birthday cake out for her.

Restaurants
As far as i'm concerned, the food was excellent with plenty of choice for the fussy. There was a great choice at breakfast from full English, cereals, fruit, cakes etc.
Lunchtime was a joy with a great selection of choices PLUS 3 different meats cooking on the barbecue outside.
There was another varied menu in the evening plus there was also a roast of the day for meat lovers
All meals had a wide selection of fruit or cakes to tempt and if you ever wanted to miss a main meal, snacks are available most of the day. The earlier problem of lukewarm food seems to have been sorted out.
One negative would be the seating area indoors wasn't big enough and (in my opinion) it was too warm to eat outside (although in fairness, lots of people did)

Entertainment/Kids Clubs
We tended to sit together in the sports bar in the evenings and the kids went to the clubs. You had to be down very early to get a seat for the evening entertainment and that and the bingo seemed quite popular. The FC reps put a lot of work into their routines and the kids in our group loved them.
One negative would be there seemed to be a problem some nights with the number of kids allowed in. On two occasions, kids in our party were left dissappointed at the lack of availability. Not sure of the solution to this one. Maybe pre bookings?

Location
The wife had a trip to Lindos to see the ancient ruins (although she could have stayed and watched me instead) and the two youngsters she took both enjoyed it very much. She strongly recommends a visit to the Acropolis at Lindos.
One slight negative was the 45 minute bus trip which was hot and uncomfortable
Down at the beach, the Crazy UFO was apparently very enjoyable (i stayed in the speedboat taking pics). Try and barter with them as we managed to get them down from 12 to 9 euro's. The beach here wasn't very nice due to the pebbles although there is apparently a very nice sandy beach in Kolymbia.

Health Concerns
To say we went with a certain amount of fear and trepidation prior to going would be an understatement and this was possibly due to FC having various statements that weren't totally true or consistent and an exaggerated report in a national newspaper. I contacted Carl before going and he assured me there were no new cases in the run up to our arrival. This was paramount to our party as there were two travelling with possible health issues if it hadn't been eradicated.
I am happy to report the worst problem we encountered was a 7 year old who had an ear infection (and a few others with cut toes due to loose pool tiles).

In Conclusion
If i was asked the following questions, i would answer accordingly:-

Do i think things could be improved for next year?
Yes. I believe some areas were rushed to get it open on time. The loose pool tiles should be adequately affixed. The seating area in the indoor section of the restaurant needs extending in my opinion.

Could there be a space problem in the relax area when the other rooms are finished (Large balconys at the moment)?
I'd say yes as there are potentially another 20 odd extra rooms (or 80 people). Even if the HV brought in another 80 sunbeds, i don't believe there is sufficient space to lay them out comfortably.

Would i recommend the Rhodes HV to a friend?
Yes, without a second thought.

Would i stay there again?
Yes, definitely. We were looking at Egypt next April or May but something keeps putting me off. We're hoping to book a deluxe villa back at Rhodes instead.

Is it better than Saringerme last summer?
It knocks it into a cocked hat.

And as a final bonus, we had Vic Reeves and Nancy as next door but one neighbours. Could have been a lot, lot worse... :-)

3  Thank frankiebm
FC_Holiday_Village, Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2010

Hi, thanks for your great comments. Our evening entertainment is held outside on the terrace and we would never turn people away. We do ask customers to pre-book all Kids’ Club evening sessions though, which we advertise on handout flyers. We run two sessions per evening one at 7.30pm & one at 9.30. We have strict ratios of 1 staff member per 8 children and can only allow 26 children in a session at any one time due to floor space per child so that does mean that some children will miss out. We send divers into the pools frequently to replace any loose tiles as we would not be able to drain the pool to replace all of the tiles until the end of the season. We hope your daughter enjoyed her birthday and that you will consider coming back to see us again in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

We travelled 31 July - 14 August . All the previous problems reported by others seem to be sorted out. The impression on arrival (late evening,) was good, and remained good thoughout my stay. It's a very attractive and well maintained place . The staff of the hotel and the first choice reps worked amazingly hard ,round the clock -with infinite patience and good humour, to satisfy their guests needs.
I went with a group of 10 friends/ family who had 4 children aged 6-13.A few of us are considerably older , but we all enjoyed ourselves-there's something for everybody here.
ROOMS- spacious, modern ,king size bed and very comfortable single fold -out chair bed .Bathroom is polished stone ,big vanity unit, shower over bath and larger than usual.
Lots of room for hanging clothes and lots of drawers for clothes storage. A code -operated safe which was worth the 30 euros deposit, for peace of mind.
Sliding doors opened onto a balcony at front of hotel .The huge comfy upholstered chairs and footstools were bliss to sit / lie in whilst watching the team of gardeners /first chioce reps arriving/daily hosing of the forecourt/hiring out of Rodos cars to guests.You are able to smoke there, but it gets the afternoon sun so it's nice to retreat back into the (adjustable) air conditioned bedroom.
FOOD- not cordon bleu, obviously, but very eatable and varied.One could choose from many starters, main meals and desserts and not repeat a meal in a fortnight ,should you choose .The show cooking was especially good-my favourite was leg of lamb with all the trimmings.As it's serve-yourself mostly, and there are over a thousand people going for food within a couple of hours, it can get busy, but the restaurant staff cope magnificently. It can get hot on the outside dining terrace, and the breeze was very welcome (outside temps averaged 38-44 c while we were there).
CLEANLINESS- every area, public and private is cleaned and maintained on a daily basis and any spills/accidents(well,there are hundreds of children ;-)) are cleaned up very promptly, with patience and a smile. I couldn't fault the maid service ,even though it took me a week to notice the "do not disturb" and "clean the room" switches for the door plaque ...Whatever we requested was replenished speedily .The pools and surrounding areas were cleaned daily-any mess was invariably created by the guests and there were staff constantly working to clean up after us, even our glasses were collected many times daily. There's a pleasant chap who comes around the pools with fresh watermelon too.
ACTIVITIES- if I was 8 years old, I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.The pools are gradiented and there are many of them The lazy river is bliss. I gave the overhead rope trail a miss , but it looked very exciting for the youngsters.I think the kids club and organised activities here are excellent -and the first choice reps worked so hard round the clock -(even on the outdoor stage in the evenings),with great energy, enthusiasm and talent.
As an adult staying without children of my own , a film or two in the cinema downstairs would have been a good idea, whilst the kids entertainment was onstage- or the bingo sessions could have been held there later,as that had to be held earlier outside ,before it went dark.I did, however ,appreciate that the First Choice reps did a wonderful job in exceedingly hot weather, to entertain the majority of families there.
We took advantage of the "Night of the Lanterns" trip to Rhodes old town, for 56 euros.It was well worth it.We had a comfy air conditioned coach there, a grear tour guide, all inclusive meal in a taverna and finished the tour with a ferry trip around the old harbour.
Do it if you can. We also took a taxi to Lindos and that was worth the 35 euro fare-very good drivers and a lovely day out,shopping and sightseeing.
Rodos cars are 50 euros per day hire ,if you're au fait with driving on the right and greek traffic.The chap who rents them is very knowledgeable of theisland and helpful.You don't even need your licence on you to hire-the paperwork is done for you.
We walked into Kolymbia one night, which was interesting, if a little hot. It's bigger than I anticipated.A few of our party had the hard skin nibbled off their feet by tiny fish at the "Fish Bar"-a pleasurerable, if tickly experience, I'm told. Another night, we made use of the road-train which picks up and drops off between the town and hotels.That's 3 euros each.Great-although we returned to the hotel in style in a horse - drawn landau, very romantic for couples.
We made good use of the bars -frequent ice cold soft drinks by day, and decent local spirits and mixers at night.The cocktails were good-even the non-alcoholic ones for the children.The bar staff were very patient, hardworking and friendly and constantly busy, given the heat -yet I never encountered any rowdy behaviour amongst the guests-that takes good human management skills too !
I think this hotel has excellent management skills throughout and it's reflected in the rest of the staffs attitudes to their customers.I had a great time and would highly recommend it .Any previous problems visitors seem to have encountered appear to have been sorted out .Go- you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank beth005
Reviewed 12 August 2010

This is the first time I have ever written a review for trip advisor but felt I had to after reading so many negative reviews before we went. I was so worried about these esp the 'tummy bug' reviews that I actually approached Thompson to try and change the holiday one week before we flew out, but am so glad now we couldn't get a flight that suited.

First impressions were amazing lovely large lobby very modern and clean. Carl the guest services manager greeted us personally and we were quickly allocated and shown our room and the porter had delivered our luggage within 10 mins. The room was lovely and clean with a lovely bathroom, with bath and seperate shower. We have stayed in a few 4/5* hotels in the past and this was def up with the best of them. There was water and sandwiches in the mini fridge which was a god send. We had a family swim up room on the activity side, and had requested an end terraced room which we got. 2 lovely sunloungers on the balcony which we could move into the sun through the day if needed. However we always managed to get a sunlounger no bother. This seemed to be a bone of contention in previous reviews and we did hear a few people moaning when we where there, but if more people stopped getting up and reserving them at 7.30 am and used them only when they wanted them then there would be enough for everyone. There was also plenty of the deck chair style loungers round the pirate ship.

The village itself is pretty amazing and way exceeded expectations, the pools are fabulous. As I mentioned we had a swim up room, the pool depth outside is 0.8m and my 3 year old could just stand up and my 5 year old could comfortably stand however if your children are younger or smaller prob wouldn't recommend these rooms, as even though there is a child safety barrier on the outside of the patio doors you would need to be extremely careful in case they fell in.

The water park is fantastic and the water there is v shallow so didn't feel nervous about letting the kids up and down the slides on this all day. The only prob here was getting them off it!! We loved the high slides esp the tunnel kamikaze one. The high ropes are great also, special mention to Cameron ( from the weegies!) who was great and helped me get through it when I got a bit nervous half way round.

My kids both went to the swim academy which I would highly recommend if u have kids who need improving. My kids came on leaps and bounds with their swimming and Emma and Vikki were so patient with them esp my 3 year old son who cried about going in then didn't want to come out! On the kids things the ' kids club ' was an absolute god send. We put ours to the little stars usually once though the day and most evenings for an hour and a half, which gave us some down time and a chance in the evening to enjoy the adult only bar in the relax area which was lovely.

The food was really good and there was a massive selection. Don't know what people were moaning about, would say if you can't find something you can eat and enjoy from that selection then the problem may be with the fussy individuals. The buffet style has salads a starters selection, fish served daily with a show cooking section also. Yes it is busy and a bit hot although there is indoor seating. We also ate in the a la carte Italian which was nice and the steak house ( which costs extra but v worth it) which was excellent.

The entertainment in the evening is v good and up till 10 pm is geared towards the kids. The entertainment team are fantastic and work so hard on and off the stage. The girls really have great voices and I really enjoyed the Abba night. The guys are great too and work really well with the kids and even though they must b sick doing the dances and songs day in day out really give it their all. And if the entertainment isn't your cup of tea there is also the sports bar or lobby bar on the activity side and the adult pearl bar on the relax side. We also on one evening took a drink back to our balcony and sat there and relaxed with kids tucked up in bed!

As regard to any 'tummy bugs' none of us experienced any upsets at all and we certainly never heard anyone saying otherwise. The cleanliness was fantastic and there were cleaners working round the clock to keep it spotless.

If I had to give any negatives it would be there was quite a strong sewage smell near the kids club and lazy river but think this was blowing in from outside and it disappeared for the last few days. Also wished breakfast was on till 10.30am as kids were unusually happy to sleep in and we missed it a couple of times.

All in all we had a fantastic time met some lovely people and would highly recommend esp to families with children.

3  Thank Lanny76
FC_Holiday_Village, Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2010

Hello, thanks for your great review. We’re glad you had a nice holiday and enjoyed the facilities and activities we have on offer in our resort. We’re pleased you tried the High Ropes. It really does get your adrenaline running and the team are excellent at encouraging you round the course. We’ll look into extending the breakfast sitting and hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2010

We went the the HV for two weeks with our 5 year old son and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room 3305 was fantastic, located on the ground floor by the childrens pool and ideal for our little one. Loved the whole set up, rooms were really comfortable, everywhere was spotless and firstchoice team worked really hard 24/7 to ensure the customers were happy. We read the reviews like everyone else and was concerned about what to expect but I honestly think that some people just go on holiday to look for something to moan about. The sunbeds are an issue but not enough to write about.

If you are going here on holiday you will enjoy it.

one tip: the room floor and veranda can be very slippery if you have wet feet!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Simmosun
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Stayed 10 days 28th july to 7th August in Activity side with our 5 year old son.
Had a great time ,very little to fault this hotel.

Food very good and varied, never saw or heard of anybody being ill at all.

Pools are great and very warm, especially in the afternoon

Water park excellent with lazy river, pirate ship with kids slides, ideal for a 5 year old and adult slides as well, never too busy

Entertainment very good. the team worked very hard. Dave knight,Craig and Keeley we thought were particulary good.

Reps were all very helpful and friendly, Our son enjoyed the kids club and went several times.

Air con in rooms excellent, which meant you could sleep in a cool room at night, lovely

Only a few areas that need improving:-

1.!.Outside area of restaurant needs fans to keep area cooler (i an told this will be sorted for next year)
2.More room is required around stage area. ie it was necessary to arrive here prior to 8 pm to ensure you got a seat, again i was told more room will be made for next year.
3. there is a bit of a sunbed issue whereby it is necessary to reserve a bed prior to 8 am

Overall if you are coming here please don't worry. You will have a great time.
We will defiinatly be going to holiday villages in the future.

2  Thank familyfun52

Hi and thanks for your review. We’re pleased you enjoyed the water park - it’s a lot of fun for both children and adults! We are working on resolving the issue with the outside seating area of the restaurant which we know can get quite warm. Thanks for your comments about the entertainment, we’ll be sure to pass these on to Dave, Craig and Keeley.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

We stayed from 17-31 July and overall can say we had a really enjoyable holiday.

ROOM/RELAX AREA - Stayed in a family swim up room in Relax Area - 2 adults 2 children 13 & 8 - Room No 5206. Room was lovely - we were on one of the little separate pools, not the main pool, but didn't mind this as it made it quieter and we had the choice of walking or swimming up to the bar. Only issue was that you had to step on a little garden area to get to the path and sometimes this was soaking wet and very muddy/slippy. Could do with a proper paved area to get out from the pool area. Probably the largest family room we have ever stayed in and definitely the comfiest beds ever! The sun was on our terrace from first thing in the morning until about midday which suited us quite well as the kids kept coming on and off the sunbeds on the terrace in the afternoon to get the shade, so we didn't need any extra sunbeds for them. We managed to get sunbeds right outside our room every day when we needed them - there were always sunbeds free until 9.30 and sometimes all day - so no problems in that area at all.

I don't have any complaints about the cleaning of our room - although i did wipe round the most touched areas with my antiseptic wipes most days just to make sure!

The Swim-up bar was superb - excellent service, lovely ham and cheese rolls at dinner time and we were even treated to a "Tom Cruise" cocktail exhibition some nights from Alex.

SERVICE - I don't have any complaints about the service we received - any queries were answered politely and quickly.

However i really need to say a BIG THANK YOU to the excellent GEORGIA in the Swim-Up Bar in the Relax area. She works so hard to keep everyone happy and always has a smile on her face. She got to know our order very quickly and had the drinks ready immediately without us even asking! It was pleasure talking to her every day.

FOOD - In our opinion, one of the best buffet restaurants we have been to for quality of food on an All Inclusive holiday. Not always alot of choice but always managed to find something nice - even for the children (very little choice in kids food area but she just had something from general area instead). They usually had some carvery meat which was lovely (especially with gravy) and a can't forget to mention the Chinese night on Thursdays - just delicious! At lunch the snack bar was used by my son - he certainly had his moneys worth! We just had a very nice ham and cheese roll from the swim up bar in relax area every day.

ENTERTAINMENT - Evening entertainment was a real disappointment. Apart from the Bingo, of course, which was good fun for all the family (although it would have been nice to win!). However it would have made more sense to finish the childrens entertainment first, then have Bingo, then the shows. Having the Bingo in the middle, meant that the kids entertainment didn't finish until 9.15! We normally love watching the shows at night but just didn't think the standard was very good at all. It was better to retire to the sports bar to have a relaxing drink and chat, whilst kids played pool, air hockey or table tennis.

WATERPARK/ACTIVITIES - My children enjoyed it - 8 year old was allowed on the big slides first couple of days then never again. Think it depends who is manning the slides. She didn't mind too much though. My son did the High Ropes and both children did the hamster ball and Aeroball. All good fun.

KIDS CLUBS - Didn't use them but there alot of children who did and really seemed to enjoy. The evening clubs went on to 11pm, so some parents were able to really relax.

SICKNESS - We were very concerned about this as it had just been reported the day before we went, so didn't sleep that night! Overall i will say that I think there was still something going around whilst we were there - we know/spoke to too many people who were ill for there not to be. We were lucky - i had an upset tummy 3rd day in, which was over in 24 hours but that was it - nothing else. Problem didn't seem to be just in one area - heard reports from all areas. Spoke to reps and Customer Relations Manager who denied there was a problem at all. Blame has been put on a burst water main in the village. I would just say to be extra careful - don't drink the water from the tap (or brush teeth with it) and wash hands properly and regularly. They kept running out of the anti-bacterial hand wash at the restaurant which was worrying but i brought my own so used that.

LOCAL AREA - The location did let the hotel down. The local village is about 15-20 mins walk along a busy road (they do drive like maniacs around there!). There are quite a few shops and restuarants - can highly recommend Nikos in Kolymbia. Ate there 3 times and didn't have a bad meal - try the Kleftico, Moussaka, Stifado and of the course the usual steak and chicken fillets.

The rest of my family also tried the Fish Spa in Kolymbia - interesting but enjoyable experience i am told!. I couldn't even contemplate putting my feet in a tank with fish!

Our only trip out was to Rhodes Old Town - went by taxi which was about 30 Euros each way but i'm sure it was much better than the bus from the reports i heard. Lovely place to walk around and shop - go later in the day when it's a bit cooler. Ate at a roof top restaurant with gorgeous views all around the harbour and general area - expensive meal but very nice.

To sum it all up, we all had a great holiday - met some lovely people, lots of sun (between 38-44 degrees every day) and overall a good family hotel. A little overpriced maybe - and i think it has gone up for next year!

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank sausage0

Hi, thanks for your review. We’ll look into paving the area around the pool with the swim up bar. The reason we run the bingo session at that time is down to making the most of daylight (so that players can still see their sheets!) but we will take your comments onboard. We do monitor the levels of anti-bacterial gel outside our eating areas to ensure we have enough available for each service. However, there can be times when more people use the gel than at others, which means on a very small number of occasions it has run out and we’ve done our best to replace it as quickly as possible.

Tracey and Nikos – Holiday Village Rhodes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
#9 of 34 in Kolimbia
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#6 of 34 in Kolimbia

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!