“Dissapointing, Previous Good reviews Conflict with what we found.”

Holiday Village Rhodes
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Swindon
“Dissapointing, Previous Good reviews Conflict with what we found.”
Reviewed 4 November 2010

We Booked this Hotel Assuming Quite Wrongly that it was 5*. IT IS NOT 5 STAR.Repeat NOT 5*. the hotel is rated 5 Sun in Thompson Brochure. In Some respects it meets the expectations of a 4 star Establishment but fall short of 4* in other area's.
Briefly: Average Hotel in a rundown Village Location with almost nothing to do outside the Hotel.
Reception Clean But Average, Rooms spotless. All Staff So Very Very Friendley and helpful.Amenities for Children very Good, although Adult entertainment almost Non existant.
Food was Fair to average for 3 star Yes 3 star!! and always luke warm or cold.I recall saying often out loud that the choices on offer were sh...te, some nights were average and we didnt go hungry, but overal I cant understand those Reviewer's who stated the food was excellent, (apart from them eating poorly at home). Almost without fail there was Pork, Rolled turkey (Yuk) and chicken or Beef bits on offer in various sauces, limited starters and limited sweets.Breakfast was best with Full English available, although my wife prefers fresh fruit for breakfast there were days when almost none was available.Hotel is divided into 3 distinct area's, you cannot use the HIGHER graded Royal Deluxe area unless you have paid extra for it. we were Activity Area so were disadvantaged without knowing this when we booked. We had to pay for the use of the Steak Bar as this was extra for Activity Clients( us)although we did get a 1 voucher to use for part of the cost of 1 visit, The Italian Al la carte restaurant was available for only 1 complimentary meal, ( Payment was required for further visits) I had the venison and it was poor, fair enough they apologised and brought me a replacement Pork Meal which was edible but nonetheless pretty average for Al la Carte to say the least. The entertainment ran alongside the restaurant area which was mainly outdoors so you could never have a quiet meal, There were often times when the Restaurant sounded like a school canteen, and with Kids being left to run around un-supervised the evening meal was really a joke. just get your grub and get out asap.
which brings me to the Bar area's, as it was very windy whilst we were there we did not want to sit outside in the evening, unfortunately many peple thought the same, there is a distinct lack of seating in doors, even so the Sports area "Indoors" was exposed to the wind as it was open both sides. The only shelter in the main area was the Atrium bar which had very few seats and was always full of seated guests by very early in the evening.
Poor adult entertainment every Night it revolved around Kids. be warned!
Waterpark excellant although freezing cold water. Never had to fight for a sunbed but uit was late in the season.
Beach predominantly Large Pebbles which are painfull to walk on in bare feet, with a small sandy beach just around the corner, but this looks and feels dirty.
Misc: Football academy is Extra (£33, swimming Lesson are extra £37,if you ask for a late check out you are charged €70 YES EXTORTIONATE. Safet deposit Box €20 non refundable.
We may as well have been in any 3 star hotel in Spain as there was absolutely NO greek influence we found during our stay apart from the feta cheese and the friendley Greeks.

Would we recomend this Hotel? It has a long way to go to be able to do that but we made it a pleasant Holiday nonetheless.It lacks the touches we have found compared to Iberostar, H10 and the Seaside chain of hotels which we normally use.

1 Thank mrfixit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Kent
Reviewed 4 November 2010

Stayed from Saturday 23rd October to Saturday 30th half term so we paid a premium for 2 adults and 3 children. The hotel looked great on our arrival at 8.50pm and check-in was quick. We were sent straight through to dinner while our bags were taken to our room. Our room was easy to find and our bags where there when we had finished dinner. We stayed in the Activity area and the room was modern and nice, but could have done with a spring clean. Milk from previous guests had been dropped in the mini fridge and had not been cleaned up, the side of the bath panel was loose and you could see builders rubbish under the bath, but all in all the room with comfortable and not too disappointed. Beds large and mattress good.

The pools were nice, but a bit cold, as it was the end of the season they looked like they needed a good clean, the splash area was great for the kids. We never had a problem getting a sunbed, probably because the hotel was quiet as it was the last week of the season. From the Wednesday morning it was very obvious the hotel was preparing to close for the season. We went to dinner one night at 7.45pm and had to ask for a table to be laid for 5 as only tables for 2 or 3 people set out. The restaurant is suppose to be open from 6.30pm to 10pm! The food...., well breakfast was ok, but no omelette station which we have had before from this rating of hotel with First Choice, and from the Wednesday no proper sausages, just the frankfurter type. The salads were good, but the same choice everyday, the cooked food for lunch and dinner was terrible, normally pork stew or beef stew or chicken stew and a fish dish always in a sauce all pre-cooked and in heated trays. There was a lower serving area for children to help themselves, but on the Wednesday when a number of guests left this was closed as was the second drinks dispensing area in the restaurant. This was not a major problem as the hotel was quiet, but when you have paid a premium to go away at half term you don't expect things to be shutting down around you. It very much felt as if the cooks were using up stock before the season finished. We did book into the Italian for a visit but again this was very poor quality. My partner and son had the seafood linguine for a main course and they got pasta with 1 scallop and 1 mussel each, where was the seafood! My partner took it back to the chef and went to complain to a First Choice rep who unfortunately was not there at 8.10pm, they were suppose to finish at 8.30pm. As mentioned by other reviews there were a number of cats and dogs wondering around the site and the cats were also in the restaurants, not a problem for us, but not ideal. Flies, yes these were a problem, but I'm not sure what could be done about them, think it is something you have to live with, maybe the farm at the front of the hotel doesn't help.

The resort was very quiet as most of the hotels, restaurants and bars had closed for the season. Again this was not a problem for us as we went out on several walks and spent time at the beach, the sea was warmer than the pools at the hotel. Yes the beach has pebbles in the middle section, but either side it is fine. There very few facilities at the beach and some of the walls by the beach look as if they will fall over at any moment, but at this time of the year the sun was pleasant and we didn't need shade for the kids.

To sum up, the hotel, facitilies and staff are nice, it is badly let down by the food, whatever happened to a nice fresh piece of grilled fish or meat cooked while you wait. This is the first time I have visited a Holiday Village and I will not be going back I'm afraid. This was not a cheap holiday and I expected much more. One more thing, probably only relevant for October, but maybe they could put guttering on the buildings as the rain running off the roofs at night on to the balconies and titled floors was very noisy. This could be part of the hotels 'Green Environment Policy' they are promoting. They could store the water and use it to water the grounds, just a thought.

1 Thank emma68Kent
birmingham
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Well, what can I say! A terrible week!! We arrived and were pleasantly surprised by our room. The entertainment team were fabulous. Thats where the good points end unfortunately. We arrived on 23-10-2010 and stayed for half term week. The area outside the hotel is vile..... opposite looked like a junk yard. Dogs roaming the street and cats. Dogs and cats also roaming around the hotel, bar and restaurant. Flies everywhere it was dreadful, you couldnt enjoy a meal through these nuisances. We had a packed lunch on the Tuesday to visit Rhodes town. In our packed lunch was.....1 orange juice carton, 1 bottle of water, 1 satsuma, 1 sandwich which was dry/stale bread , no butter and a slice of ham!! Absolute joke, when you have two young children who are starving! The bread was unedible, and was subsequently thrown away. We complained and our complainted fell upon deaf ears at first until I started to lose my temper, they then offered us a meal in the deluxe are, which i have to say was very nice. From Wednesday the food was dreadful, no variety, no sausage,mouldy bread, and the god damn flies!!!!

The entertainment was shoved in a room that was just unfit, and the main stage closed.
Graffitti on the walls on the beach , just a dire area.
just a very bad holiday altogether, and I would never recommend this place, ever!!

3 Thank clarelou11
Birmingham
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Me and my partner travelled to Rhodes on 9th october 2010 for 11 nights and overall we really enjoyed the hotel the weather really let the holiday down which i know is something that cant be controlled so weather aside i will tell you about the hotel....

We arrived at 11pm so it was quite late but we were greeted with orange juice and sandwiches in our room which is just what we needed. The check in was quick and luggage was brought up to our room. We had paid extra for a swim up room situated in the relax side. The room was modernly decorated to a high standard with bath and power shower in the bathroom, large queen size bed and a tv. The swim up rooms were a great idea, not that we could use the pool as it was too cold its ashame they couldnt be heated slightly for the winter season.

For breakfast and dinner you had to walk from the relax side under a underpass which was part of the hotel to the activity area. The restaurant was large and we never struggled to find a table, a range of help your self drinks including beer and wine were available. The food was really nice the breakfast was just as good as english standard they even had HP sauce. The evening meals always had a slight variation but still always found something to eat, they also had an area for vegetarians. For those of you travelling with babys they have a baby corner with microwave and steriliser available i thought this was a great idea.

The evening entertainment started at around 7:30 with evening entertainment followed by a kids disco. Then at 10pm there would be a show on which would consist of either the entertainment team show or 3 times a week they got in uk acts such as comedians and singers all which were really good. I would say though if you are travelling as a group or a couple the bar stops serving after 12am and then all the entertainment stops and theres noting really to do. We stayed up playing cards in reception 1 night with another couple and the lights were turned off on us at 1am and we were told to go to our room as we were making too much noise!(yes too much noise playing cards ive never heard anything so ridiculous, i think it was more like the security staff wanting a drink and a fag) I think the hotel could extend the bar til 1am and just put some music on somewhere.

We only had 4 days of sun while there and during those days the pool area was kept lovely and clean never a struggle to find sunbeds. The pool bar was a great idea and the relax area definalty was quieter than the activity side which was just what we wanted. The pool bar had all drinks and cocktails including ice cream during the day. We went to the activity side 1 day and it was slightly more noisier but thats what you expect with kids around. The slides looked great lots of things for the kids to do as the entertainment staff were keeping them busy. We did sign up for 1 trip while we were on holiday which was the rhodes town trip this was a really good trip giving an insight into history of the island. We had a 3 course meal included in the price but this wasnt nice at all and we went back feeling hungry. I would reccommend First Choice get this meal changed as we heard from the restaurant manager that they dont have a choice as to what meals are served.

Few tips for you;
-You dont need a hairdryer the bathrooms have one
-Beach towels are provided for 15 euro deposit each which you get back from reception
-If you are taking kids and its winter season i heard the deluxe rooms have a PS3 to keep them entertained during the days when the weather isnt so great.
- The tv only has discovery, history, sports and 1 kids channel, we took a laptop and dvds which is an idea.

I would definalty reccommend this hotel to friends/family we are looking at going to another holiday village next year.

Midlands
Reviewed 1 November 2010

My wife, 4 year old daughter and myself stayed at the Holiday Village between the 20-10-10 and 27-10-10. We stayed in a Royal Deluxe Villa and thanks to a member on here called Lorraine who had also stayed in one and sent us photos and better descriptions and understanding of the villa and so happy we did too.

I must say we had a really good time, the weather was good, and I would go back there but would have a few suggestions later. We was very lucky as the week before us had rain constantly and I really felt sorry for the villa next to us leaving the day we got there after not a great time.

Firstly the Villa, better than I had hoped and to a very high standard of finish... ok the drain overflowed when the bath emptied too fast but not a big issue. The Bedroom is pretty big and well set out. The Lounge where our little one slept was nice and big too both went onto a terrace. We had a big grass area and 2 seating areas plus the pool which was really nice. It is stepped 1m deep to 1.2m but we got our daughter a floating jacket so she was fine.

The Deluxe side of the complex is lovely, The Pool nice and Relaxed, The water is cold, but on the hotter days it was nice and the kids where happy anyway, lots of sun beds around. The only issue is no proper bar, the relaxed pool has a lovely pool bar which the deluxe really should have. There is room where the make shift hut is so maybe over the winter???

The Club bar great, and the first thing we saw when we arrived, although a little miffed we hardly used it as kids weren’t allowed which I do understand. The Club Restaurant was a lovely place to be and was the main reason we booked in the deluxe section as we really enjoying going out for food and the normal buffet style places aren’t really us.

The Food in the Club Restaurant was good, 3 to 4 star at a push I more or less did fine every night but my wife wasn’t so happy. We eat over in the Italian restaurant one night and if the food was at that standard every night I would say 4 to 5 star. The Staff however in the club restaurant were great, I really liked them and the head waiter really went out of his way to look after us and my daughter loved him.

Actually all the hotel staff were great, the ladies on reception were great as too was the bar staff, I’m sure Carl will read this at some point so please pass on my thanks to them all who worked so hard.

Quick overview to the other areas. The relaxed pool was great, bigger than the deluxe but the pool bar really gave it the edge, the guests used the main buffet but apart from that it was similar to deluxe.

The activity side looked nice too, pools nice looking plenty of places to chill or not..... by the pool and the splash area was nice. This is where the night entertainment was and I’m glad it was outside, it feels more like a holiday than stuck in.

Things that need looking at during the winter.

Nice new Pool Bar in the deluxe pool area, some leg weight machines in the gym. And pushing up the food choice and quality. Attention to detail is the key.

So there you go, Like mentioned before maybe not hitting the 5 star but I think the areas need addressing could easily make it. The thing that really made our holiday was the guests around us, smashing people, all of which I was happy to spend our holiday with. Ps Brookes Mum and Dad John and Pamela, drop us a message on here it would be nice to keep in touch.

Hope this helps

Paul, Alison & Olivia

2 Thank PaulN360
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We have recently returned from a fantastic holiday at the Holiday Village Rhodes and we couldn't fault it. We paid slightly more to stay in the Deluxe area of the complex which I think was well worth it.... First impressions were of a clean, friendly and classy hotel. The reception staff, and all staff throughout the hotel were among the most friendly, welcoming and professional I have ever come across. Our room was bveautiful, with spacious balcony, kingsize memory foam bed, and huge flatscreen TV. The bathroom featured a power shower and jacuzzi bath. As for the public areas such as the reception, restaurant and Pearl bar, think marble floors, and billowing white drapes. It just feels classy, we loved it!
I don't understand the reviews about bad food. Staying as a deluxe guest meant you could eat every day in the a la carte restaurant which served brilliand food (especially the full English Breakfasts) and had plenty of variety. However, even when we ventured to the activity side of the complex and ate there, there was still plenty of variety and good quality food. The only difference was the atmosphere, the deluxe side was a far more relaxing place to eat, with table service from very friendly and helpful staff.
The Activity side is ideal for kids and would easily keep them occupied all day.... but we were staying as an adult couple and it was perfect for us too.
The resort of Kolymbia doesn't have much going on, especially at the end of season (except for the fish spa which is worth a visit!) but the bus to Rhodes town is only 3 euros so there's no problem there, and its a great place to spend a day.
Overall we had a brilliant holiday and would definitely recommend this hotel, it gets the balance right between activity and relaxation, and you really are treated well by the staff. Little touches like being handed bottled water for the journey back to the airport, while the manager shook everyone's hand added to the experience.... and the barman remembered our favourite drinks every night! A brilliant holiday....

Sidcup, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2010

I have just returned home from The Holiday Village having spent half term there. We had spent over £2000.00 on this holiday for 1 week 23/10/10 - 30/10/10. I have not written a review before but felt i had to. I have been to the Holiday Village in Egypt and Turkey and can honestly say the holiday village in rhodes was awful. Upon arrival to our swim up room the sheets and pillow cases were stained.

Due to the fact that it was end of season everything was shut by Wednesday a group of holiday makers left which meant that because of this they could serve the dregs of leftovers in the restaurant food was cold with flies everywhere. Cats were allowed to roam the resturant along with dogs. The entertainment was on the main stage up until wednesday where after that we all had to sit in the so called cinema room.

I had a back and neck massage in the spa - all i can say is my back is still hurting now don't bother.

One morning it rained which meant that because of this they sent the bar staff home in the relax area even though it cleared up it was only after alot of people complained that they finally sent someone over even though there were no snacks or icecream.

Our room weren't cleaned only towels changed no standards at all.

After Wednesday they stopped dosing the pools and they started turning green

I am not sure how First Choice could sell this holiday at the price or the fact that it was end of season it should not have made a difference this is no way on par with Egypt or Turkey

Although it may seem abit picky you really needed to experience it for yourself or not. The only thing I can say was good about this holday was the kids club my daughter loved it.

I made a complaint to the first choice reps whilst out there along with many people who were just as disappointed as i was.

My advice if you decide to book this holday maybe go in peak season but do not go in October half term a waste of money and I will be writing a complaint to First Choice

4 Thank Rachdougl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#6 of 34 in Kolimbia
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!