Firstly I have never written a review on a trip before but due to extreme problems with our holiday I feel it necessary to WARN anyone looking to book.
We researched where we were going to visit for weeks before we made our booking. We went into our local First Choice (also known as TUI Travel and Thomson). They advised us how lovely this resort/hotel was and assured us that it was 5 star.
3 days after booking we read an article via the Sunday Mirror about the amount of people who had become ill whilst on holiday at this hotel. We obviously became very worried and looked into it more deeply. The official response from 1st choice was that the problem was isolated and in hand. I decided to write to First Choice and said that we were very concerned as we had also heard that the hotel/resort was 3 star at best.
The return letter assured us we would be happy with our holiday and if there were any problems the reps would help while we were there.
Reassured by the improving reviews we decided to continue with our holiday with a positive outlook.
From the moment we arrived until we got on the plane to come home we had problems, quite frankly I was relieved when I got on the plane.
We stayed in a ground floor room of the Deluxe area of the hotel with our 4 year old daughter. I have a disability that stops me from walking very far.
1. The coach driver didnt understand a word we said when we asked why he had taken us to the wrong area of the hotel. We ended up having a row with him on the coach in front of all the other holiday makers.
2. The hotel lost our luggage on arrival (at 4am) After 2 hours it was returned to us.
3. On entering our room there were dirty pants under our bed, the shower was very dirty too.
4. The lead from the playstation 3 to the electric sockets was laying across the bed where our 4 year old daughter had to sleep. This was the only way you could plug it in.
5. There were ants, cockroaches and mice droppings in our room. When we reported this to the staff they were very quick to respond.
6. We had to comlain on the 5th night as our sheets had not been changed, we than had to complain again as she did not change our pillow cases.
7. Whilst swimming in the pool we witnessed the cleaner sweep the room next door to us onto the balcony then straight into the pool. We took photos of this and complained. The reply from the customer relations officer was that the pool is filtered. Not good enough.
8. There were flies every day and night in the restraunts
9 .The food was very poor and not as stated on the menus, also the take away bar open in the daytime was rubbish, soggy chips, tinned hotdogs and burgers
10. It took 2 days for the hotel to replace our tv/dvd player as faulty and did not work at all
11. location of hotel a 20 min walk from nearest shops/chemist/beach
12. Food cold or luke warm at best everytime we ate
13. We all experianced sickness and the runs whilst there, mainly after eating from the carvery
14. One couple we met paid £300 to get a flight hime 4 days early due to similar problems
1. Nice room, bed very comfortable, seperate area for daughter to sleep, safety gate between room and swim up pool
2. Deluxe restraunt and main restraunt staff very helpful Our daughter did not like any of the food so she lived on fruit the whole holiday. If they ran our or did not have displayed what she wanted we just asked and they always bought out what she asked for
3. Weather amazing for this time of the year
4. Cocktails lovely drinks menu varied
We chose to pay the extra and stay in the deluxe area of the hotel but I have to say there was hardly any difference to the Relax area. We had friends staying in Relax and we checked out their room. The room was the same except we had dressing gowns and a dvd player/ps3. Their cleaner was much better than ours and hoovered and swept their room every day. The Relax area had its own bar where you could get food/drinks/icecream. In Deluxe there was a shed where you helped yourself. The extra we paid for Deluxe was a total waste of our money.
On our first visit to speak with the customer relations officer he was very friendly and helpful, but after we had to complain time and time again he became rude and unhelpful.
On our last evening after packing and checking out of our room we put our luggage (locked) in the area where the staff kept it and went to the bar with friends for a final drink. In front of everyone in the bar and our friends the customer relatins office and First Choice rep came over to us and accused us of theft from our room. We were then asked to un pack all our luggage in front of people waiting for a coach in reception. We were in shock and obviously did as we were asked as we had nothing to hide. Once we had proved we had not taken anything we did not even get an apoligy and the staff just walked away leaving us to re pack. I became very upset and asked to speak to the hotel manager. When we spoke with him he advised us he had asked the cleaner to leave the hotel as she was last in our room after we had checked out and so obviously they thought it was her who had taken the item. Again no apoligy, all he said was "this is the greek way" By this time all we wanted to do was get on the plane and go home.
I seriously advise anyone thinking of going here to research this hotel/resort well before. Im hoping that as this was the 1st season they were open that First Choice have taken on board all the complaints people have made and are making changes.
We certainly will not be travelling with them again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Village Rhodes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Village Rhodes Hotel Kolimbia
- Holiday Village Rhodes Greece