“worst holiday ever in 31 years! management rude! hotel not 5 star!!”

Holiday Village Rhodes
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Kolimbia
exeter
“worst holiday ever in 31 years! management rude! hotel not 5 star!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

Firstly I have never written a review on a trip before but due to extreme problems with our holiday I feel it necessary to WARN anyone looking to book.

We researched where we were going to visit for weeks before we made our booking. We went into our local First Choice (also known as TUI Travel and Thomson). They advised us how lovely this resort/hotel was and assured us that it was 5 star.
3 days after booking we read an article via the Sunday Mirror about the amount of people who had become ill whilst on holiday at this hotel. We obviously became very worried and looked into it more deeply. The official response from 1st choice was that the problem was isolated and in hand. I decided to write to First Choice and said that we were very concerned as we had also heard that the hotel/resort was 3 star at best.
The return letter assured us we would be happy with our holiday and if there were any problems the reps would help while we were there.

Reassured by the improving reviews we decided to continue with our holiday with a positive outlook.

From the moment we arrived until we got on the plane to come home we had problems, quite frankly I was relieved when I got on the plane.
We stayed in a ground floor room of the Deluxe area of the hotel with our 4 year old daughter. I have a disability that stops me from walking very far.
Negatives:
1. The coach driver didnt understand a word we said when we asked why he had taken us to the wrong area of the hotel. We ended up having a row with him on the coach in front of all the other holiday makers.
2. The hotel lost our luggage on arrival (at 4am) After 2 hours it was returned to us.
3. On entering our room there were dirty pants under our bed, the shower was very dirty too.
4. The lead from the playstation 3 to the electric sockets was laying across the bed where our 4 year old daughter had to sleep. This was the only way you could plug it in.
5. There were ants, cockroaches and mice droppings in our room. When we reported this to the staff they were very quick to respond.
6. We had to comlain on the 5th night as our sheets had not been changed, we than had to complain again as she did not change our pillow cases.
7. Whilst swimming in the pool we witnessed the cleaner sweep the room next door to us onto the balcony then straight into the pool. We took photos of this and complained. The reply from the customer relations officer was that the pool is filtered. Not good enough.
8. There were flies every day and night in the restraunts
9 .The food was very poor and not as stated on the menus, also the take away bar open in the daytime was rubbish, soggy chips, tinned hotdogs and burgers
10. It took 2 days for the hotel to replace our tv/dvd player as faulty and did not work at all
11. location of hotel a 20 min walk from nearest shops/chemist/beach
12. Food cold or luke warm at best everytime we ate
13. We all experianced sickness and the runs whilst there, mainly after eating from the carvery
14. One couple we met paid £300 to get a flight hime 4 days early due to similar problems

Positives
1. Nice room, bed very comfortable, seperate area for daughter to sleep, safety gate between room and swim up pool
2. Deluxe restraunt and main restraunt staff very helpful Our daughter did not like any of the food so she lived on fruit the whole holiday. If they ran our or did not have displayed what she wanted we just asked and they always bought out what she asked for
3. Weather amazing for this time of the year
4. Cocktails lovely drinks menu varied

We chose to pay the extra and stay in the deluxe area of the hotel but I have to say there was hardly any difference to the Relax area. We had friends staying in Relax and we checked out their room. The room was the same except we had dressing gowns and a dvd player/ps3. Their cleaner was much better than ours and hoovered and swept their room every day. The Relax area had its own bar where you could get food/drinks/icecream. In Deluxe there was a shed where you helped yourself. The extra we paid for Deluxe was a total waste of our money.

On our first visit to speak with the customer relations officer he was very friendly and helpful, but after we had to complain time and time again he became rude and unhelpful.

On our last evening after packing and checking out of our room we put our luggage (locked) in the area where the staff kept it and went to the bar with friends for a final drink. In front of everyone in the bar and our friends the customer relatins office and First Choice rep came over to us and accused us of theft from our room. We were then asked to un pack all our luggage in front of people waiting for a coach in reception. We were in shock and obviously did as we were asked as we had nothing to hide. Once we had proved we had not taken anything we did not even get an apoligy and the staff just walked away leaving us to re pack. I became very upset and asked to speak to the hotel manager. When we spoke with him he advised us he had asked the cleaner to leave the hotel as she was last in our room after we had checked out and so obviously they thought it was her who had taken the item. Again no apoligy, all he said was "this is the greek way" By this time all we wanted to do was get on the plane and go home.

I seriously advise anyone thinking of going here to research this hotel/resort well before. Im hoping that as this was the 1st season they were open that First Choice have taken on board all the complaints people have made and are making changes.
We certainly will not be travelling with them again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank rachelexeter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Rochdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

After reading all of the reviews on TA I really wanted to cancel my holiday and even told my agent that I was losing my job hoping to get a refund, this didn't work and as we didn't want to los 4k we decided to go. I am so glad we did, the Royal Deluxe area of this hotel is amazing.
Room - We stayed in a royal deluxe family swim-up, we could not have asked for anything more from our accomodaion. Separate sleepng area from the children, large terrace with nice furniture and padded loungers, full sized jacuzzi on our private terrace and direct access into the main swimming pool....bliss. Fully stocked mini bar, replenised daily and a modern clean room
Food - Royal deluxe restaurant was superb, not keen on other restaurants dotted around the reort
Entertainment and facilities - Team work relentlessly to entertain and the bars were great. Kids loved the entertainment which meant we could spend a little quality time together and with other adults.
Location - Not great, however, we got a car and thoroughkly enjoyed whizzing around the island.

All in all a fantastic holiday

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank RochdaleSunshine
Liverpool
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

I think this hotel has the potential too be great, but at the moment it is lacking a few things, me and my husband went here last minute due to our holiday firm going bust. The hotel itself was spotless, the first choice staff where superb, but the greek staff where rude, obnoxious and downright unhelpful (apart from 3!), after speaking to the first choice team, i believe they were getting training in the close season, to improve on this. The food was rubbish for all inclusive, i went hungry most of the week until I found the Star Bar, just outside the complex, food was always cold, and repetative, not what I have had in the past in all inclusive, there was always flies in the restaurant, and not much choice. There was always plenty to do thanks to the first choice team, and without these, the holiday would of been a holiday from hell.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank liverpool_lou83
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

This holiday has totally put me of not only Rhodes, but ever going to an All Inclusive resort again. The main 2 things that ruined this holiday were the type of people that were there during the 2 weeks and the appalling dining options.

Negatives
- If you don't have kids - do not go here! I learnt my lesson on that one and will now only ever be going to an adult only place. Kids were running riot EVERYWHERE 24/7, even outside school holidays. Slamming doors in the early hours in the morning, thowing food in the dining rooms. Awful
- Sun Loungers - there are simply not enough anywhere and you have to get up before 8am with your towel (something i hate doing but everyone else did). If you don't get a sun lounger there's not much else to do as the resort is not great and very grim.
- Food - this is the main thing for me. The lunches were great, loads of salad, meats, breads, etc. But breakfasts and evening meals were terrible. Really poor quality. And the a la carte one where you get 1 vist per stay is even worse. The drinks were also awful, I'm happy with a £5 bottle of wine in the UK but this was virtually undrinkable by the 4th day.
- Dining rooms, terrible set up, all the tables are far too cramped and you're sat cm's away from the next table, you couldn't even walk between them.

Positives
- The rooms were lovely (but this is because ther were new) I can see in 12 months to a year they'll start to look incredibly tired as the bathroom was cheap and flimsy. The bed was huge and very comfy. But this was all spoilt by the awful noise from the Holiday Village, often late at night.
- The outside of the complex is lovely and very attractive, so are the pool areas. The inside isn't very impressive

Basically if you're after a chilled out holiday - don't go here. Even the relax areas are not relaxing and very noisy. I also found the holiday stressful, what with not being able to get sunbeds some mornings and sometimes not able to get a seat at busy dining times. I would never in a million years go back here, primarily due to the food and type of people that were there during my stay - very rude, loud and obnoxious. On top of this I had my mobile phone stolen. I was so glad to be home!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank y9bex
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

We stayed here for 10 days during June, and I have to say it was a very mixed experience. We have just one young child (she was 1 and half years when we had this holiday), and wanted a convenient holiday so opted for the all-inclusive package. This turned out to be the best thing as there is nowhere near the hotel to go out for food! The beach is adverstised as being nearby, but it is not at all...especially if you have really young children.

Anyway, the hotel was newly built at the time so everything was practically brand new, but this also meant that some things were not working (such as the jacuzzi on our terrace). We had a family swim up room, and at first I was concerned about the safety but actually it works great because you can literally take 2 steps from the room into the pool. So all our stuff didnt need to be packaged up each day for the pool, and we didnt need to scramble for the sun beds (we did see some people putting towels out at dawn!). Also, I could wade from our terrace through the pool to the swim up bar and back again with hands full - very handy for snacks and drinks (although some people allowed their kids to attempt this, which meant ice cream and soft drinks in the pool!).

The room itself was great, quite large with a sliding screen to divide the kids beds from the main room - handy when our toddler was sleeping but we were still reading etc. The bathroom had a separate shower and bath, again handy for family use. The room was cleaned and beds made every day.

The hotel has a creche which we used - the staff were excellent and our toddler seemed to really enjoy herself. We felt guilty putting her in at first, but by the 3rd day we looked forward to the few hours we had to ourselves each day - a godsend if you want time to unwind properly. There was also quite a large water playground area - slides, lazy river etc - which was very handy and our toddler loved the slides.

One thing that was not great was the hotel is split by a main road, and most of the main facilities are at the 'fun' side. We were in the 'relax' side so had to walk across via the underground passageway at mealtimes, to drop toddler off at creche, use the waterpark etc. The most inconvenient is breakfast - if you like to sleep in you need to remember that it takes 15mins to get across there!

We did walk into the village a couple of times but to be honest there is not much there at all. We rented a car from a very nice chap based at the hotel (I would recommend him anytime) and had a day out in Rhodes town (45mins drive) plus also stopped at some of the better beaches.

The package holiday times for us were horrendous - do not be tempted to do the early morning flight back home. We paid 80 euros extra for late check out, managed to hang on until we wer kicked out at 7pm, but there is nowhere to get changed or quiet areas to relax until the pick up at 3am!

All in all, the best thing about this hotel is that it has some good facilities for kids and is probably ok for just 1 week stay - I could not imagine being here 2 weeks! It is not a 4 star, it is 3 star.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank the_0_man
Sanford, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

We stayed at the First Choice Holiday Village Rhodes for 2 weeks in July and were very impressed with the place. We travelled with another family of four and we're situated in block 2000 adjacent to each other. We had booked swim-up rooms and these were well worth the money - just to have the luxury of being able to swim off your terrace was wonderful.

The facilities at the hotel were brilliant. All of the kids clubs and activities were, as usual, superb and all of our children certainly made the most of them.

The food and restaurants were great - plenty of choice. Eating out in the village was great too - not too many restaurants to choose from but our favourite "Nikos" was brilliant and extremely cheap. Be warned they do not have a children's menu so I hope your kids have good appetites - ours did!! Making our way into the village was fun as we caught the little road train which runs around Kolymbia and on the way back to the hotel we got all 8 of us on a horse and carraige!

The staff at the hotel were superb - especially all of the entertainment team. Quite a few of them we had encountered at other holiday villages before so it was great.

Rhodes as an island is very beautiful so it is important to get out and about to see some of it. We hired cars for 2 days and had a brilliant time exploring off the beaten track beaches and the towns.

All in all this was definitely one of our favourite holidays and I would recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank MaisieGsy
female, uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

Much of what has been said on here before I agree with - the good and the bad there is truth in most of it. The area is poor (as typified by most mediterranean coast agricultural areas) by anyone's standards but it's very safe and still preferable to most Uk seasides eg Blackpool/Margate/Bridlington!
We had a Deluxe swim-up room (very nice with wet room) and excellent weather. Had we not had a swim up room or had had bad weather I'd much much rather be at home. Or at work for that matter. Even with good weather and a swim up room it would have been dire without a hire car and my iPhone. The TV is of no use except for news.
We did not have any under 12 kids with us and this holiday is really only suitable for families with kids. There is more than plenty for kids to do, the hotel is totally geared towards kids - which is great for them.
If you don't have kids other peoples kids screeching and hareing around can be an absolute nuisance. Talking of nuisance - this holiday seems to particularly attract smokers and it's difficult to find anywhere to sit outside, including one's own patio area, without sharing second hand smoke.
If you like art this holiday could be for you - body art that is. I think we were the only un-adorned - seemingly even including the majority of women (British holidaymakers not the Germans or locals). Many women sunbathed topless which seemed rather naff and at-odds with the kid-friendly atmosphere.
The food was not to my taste and the eating areas (can't call it restaurant) in all but the Deluxe area were like transport cafes but very suitable for high chairs and kids. The free cocktails and fantastic staff were excellent which helped blur the negative aspects. we also found the Relax area and swim up bar very pleasant - albeit we were in low season with not many kids - more people, especially more kids, would make it a lot less fun.
Mosquitos were a damn nuisance - not outside, but inside our rooms. They seemed to generate hourly in the shower (jacuzzi showers that dont jacuzzi as water pressure is too low apparently). Our daughter had a miserable time after the third day having been bitten all over (including 8 on her face) that were so big they throbbed with her pulse. Moths also colonised the rooms which we didnt mind but if you dont like them you'd freak.
We complained to First Choice head office and to the reps about our first room which wasn't what we'd requested despite 2 calls to head office to clarify several weeks before and so we paid an extra £87 to upgrade to a family room. We wasted over half a day waiting for the correct room which when we got into was exactly as the last folk had left it - a mess - cue another wait!! We were advised to make an official complaint by the First Choice rep which we did. Did we hear anything from First Choice when we got back, did we get a refund of the extra we'd paid the hotel ? - of course not!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank report88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
SENTIDO Port Royal Villas & Spa
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#6 of 33 in Kolimbia
Princess Andriana Resort & Spa

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!