“Relaxing stay”

Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Beds
“Relaxing stay”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The waterpark was the main draw when booking this holiday and it didn't disappoint for the kids, very good. The grounds, hotel and rooms very well managed and clean, staff extremely friendly.
Food fantastic, lots of choice, something for everyone.

Beach was a mixture of stones and plenty of sand, with clear water and good for snorkeling.

Main swimming pools rather small, overcrowded and had a problem finding a sunbed every day.

Entertainment at night was not up to scratch sorry, shows mainly put on by reps and staff miming along to music, the greek music and dancers good, but generally not what you expect of a 4*+ hotel.

1 hr transfer on average from/to airport which was fine. Outside the hotels in the resort of Kolimbia it's mostly barren waste land, with no local entertainment, or bars, a good walk to some tourist shops.

Poor choice of excursions from Thompson, they seem to be cutting back trips to experience the culture of the island and sight seeing (especially the west side which is very scenic into the mountains). Easy to catch a bus to Rhodes town, less buses to Lindos. Hiring car best option.

I would consider staying here again at some point may be.

Room Tip: We asked for sea view and got a room in the main hotel looking out across the sea.
1 Thank Gemmmmmmmmmmm
AlexandrosKanis, Manager at Atlantica Aegean Blue, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Greetings from Atlantica Aegean Blue. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the waterpark. I will pass your feedback onto the relevant teams, they will be happy to hear your comments. Many thanks for choosing Atlantica Aegean Blue and hope to welcome you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I would recommend this holiday resort to anyone. The staff were friendly and the hotel very clean. The food in the restaurant was of a very high standard and plenty to choose from. The pool area was lovely and in general i cannot fault this resort at all. Everything was wonderful. Management were always visible and very attentive. 10/10

2 Thank David F
Welcome Home.Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and I will pass your comments on to the relevant teams. I would like to thank you for spending your holiday here with us at Atlantica Aegean Blue and I hope to welcome you again.
Wickford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from a very relaxing holiday.

In the UK (and elsewhere), think 'Crowne Plaza', and you will have a rough idea of grandeur of public areas, room size, facilities, etc.

We are not early birds and could always get sunbeds with an umbrella at 10.30, and sunbeds by themselves were available all day. In addition to beds by the pool, there were quite a few at the edge of the hotel grounds right on the beach. The beach itself is pebbley, but good for snorkelling and seeing fish.

The water park next door has about six adult slides and a good kids pool with about four slides. At 'peak' times, the largest queue is about four people in front of you for a slide but such a long wait was rare, most of the time there was no wait. Indeed, compared to those open to the public, it is very quiet, and having been to Faliraki on a prior holiday in Rhodes, you could easily queue for 10 minutes there for just a single slide at busy times.

The range of food was vast, and the a la carte Asian restaurant was of a standard of a 'top end' Chinese, where you'd be comfortably paying £40 per person for food (in London). You can have one a la carte meal in this hotel per stay, and although we didnt, you can also eat in a la carte restaurants in the sister hotels just a couple of minutes walk away.

The a la carte and water park are both part of the all inclusive, although frustratingly for a hotel at this level, as has been mentioned before, the room safe is not free of charge.

However, it is attention to detail which counts, and I've found this previously with Atlantica. On arrival, there was a welcome drink ~ beer for men, sparkling wine for ladies, orange juice for children. On departure, we left on the coach with a bottle of water ~ the packet of sweets for our daughter made it onto the coach but had disappeared before we left the hotel! The level of detail even extends to napkin colour on theme nights ~ these were red, white and green on the Italian theme night in the restaurant (with a welcome glass of limoncello). Also, in the restaurant, there is a kids section, and this comes with 'plain' salad without dressing, etc.

All in all, I would thoroughly recommend if you want a lazy holiday, with a bit of water park fun, and the ability to eat and drink more than is good for you!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank WickfordTraveller
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us. I will pass your comments on to the relevant teams – I am more than certain that they will appreciate your feedback. Thank you for choosing us for your summer holiday, we hope to see you again soon.
UK
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I write this review as a resident still in the hotel; I have been here 10 days into a 2 week stay with my wife and 2 kids.

If you have booked this hotel or are thinking of then rest assured it’s a good choice and you will have a good holiday.

This hotel I believe is officially marked as a 4 star and marketed by Thomson / First Choice as a 4.5 star. I think this is a fair reflection on the hotel. The main buildings have clearly been built for approx. 15 years or so and although that is not a bad thing, it does show against some more modern hotels. Indeed, Atlantica that run the hotel and the Imperial, Park and Holiday Village all within a stones throw of this property, are the most prolific provider of accommodation in this part of the island. Against the other 3 properties this one is the oldest and from the outside and inside you can see when comparing eggs with eggs. BUT it should be said the experience in each is fairly similar and the cross service delivery (you can visit the al a carte restaurants in all properties) is evident. Even the entertainment teams are very inter-mingled. Basically what this means is the property design and architecture aside you are getting the same facilities, service and staff no matter which hotel you book. Although the others are nicer to look at than this one…. You cant really change or influence the age of the building.

If you are wanting WIFI in the hotel for professional or leisure reasons, it works well – most of the time. It’s never fast enough to stream YouTube or web based video unless you wait for several minutes but for Social Media, Email and general use its fine in the lobby, your room or by the pool. There is a peak period in the morning and evening when it can get quite slow but overall its fine.

The rooms themselves are poor. Frankly against other similarly rated properties and the likes of the other hotels in the same area (by same owner) the Imperial, Park and Holiday Village this hotel offers the poorest room quality. Having stayed in many 4 and 5 star resorts across the world they are small (even the family rooms, the standards are much smaller) and fairly basically equipped. You will get some good beds, a fridge, good air con, WIFI works in your room, TV for usual basic channels. But do not expect huge amounts of space. Also if you are over 5ft 8’ you will find the shower head is too low and need to duck to wash your hair… but the bathroom itself is fine.

One annoying feature is the room safe is not included in the price and despite having to pay the safe itself is the equivalent of a phone box. You cannot fit a laptop or even iPad in the safe, its just good enough for passports, wallets and keys. Personally I think they should either provide a decent sized safe or give them free in a resort of this type.

The bar staff themselves and the restaurant staff are all very friendly. When by the pool all drinks, including beer, are served in paper coffee cups. This is ok for Water and soft drinks but beer in a paper cup is weird. I read about this before I came and brought my own plastic (so allowed) pint cup!

The wine (can pay to upgrade to better standard in a la carte) that is free in the hotel restaurants is of reasonable quality. The beer is not too bad and it and the wine is available all day in several bars and self service location. The cocktails are also pretty reasonable.

The Sun beds are fairly available as the hotel does have a policy of enforcing non used bt reserved beds at 10am and 11am (they card the beds and if still not used within the hour remove the towels)

The Reception Service and follow up is good. I had an issue with my safe and fridge on the first day and within 5 mins the staff were on site fixing and changing the fridge. The day after the reception left a message in my room asking if I was happy with the service – so a plus point there for follow up

The food in this hotel is very good. You will get good availability of kid food in the pool cafes and restaurants and everyone will be happy. However, if you like your food and the variety of it the standard and range is one of the best I have experienced.

There are Toddler pools, baby food facilities including high chairs , microwave, bottle warmers and a room outside next to toddler pool with cots in for naps – we don’t need these now but as a family we notice them

There is a snack basket fridge in restaurant with fruit, sandwiches, drink cartons etc and cool bags available if going out for day to use as picnic

Overall – if you have booked this hotel you will not be disappointed. As long as you don’t spend too long in your room as these are pretty naff (but then who does)

4 Thank Serious_Webmaster
Alexandros K, Manager at Atlantica Aegean Blue, responded to this review, 27 March 2015
Thank you for spending time during your holiday to write a review about your time at Atlantica Aegean Blue.

I am happy to see that your overall experience at our hotel was enjoyable. I am glad that you enjoyed the variety of food we have on offer, we try our best to cater to everyones needs and likes.

Thank you for also highlighting our reception staff and how quickly your issues were resolved. Our team here at the hotel always want to ensure that our guests have a great holiday.

I hope that if you are visiting Rhodes again that we would be able to welcome you back.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed as a family in August 2014. I was really torn as to whether to stay here or the Holiday Village Rhodes but this won on price and a few other factors.

WATERPARK - this was the main selling point for us. The hotel has a brand new waterpark which our rooms overlooked. There's an area for babies and toddlers with 2 tiny slides and splash toys plus plenty of shade, another area for children over 6 (although nobody told younger children they couldn't go on the slides) which contains tipping buckets and 4 decent slides, then the main area which houses a lazy river and around 6 fast adult slides (some of which you can ride on a double donut thingy.) I had planned a day trip to the waterpark in Faliraki but my kids were so happy here there was no need. The water park was never busy, despite it being peak season and was always spotlessly clean. The toilets there were spotless too and I'm pretty OCD! There is a bar there which is not included in the AI package but it was cheap and very friendly. Two of my children had minor mishaps there and the lady bartender with blonde hair and life guard couldn't do enough to help us with ice packs and free slushes until they felt better! We spent most of our days here. The only thing that disappointed me was that I'd heard guests at the Holiday Village were able to use our waterpark and thought we would be able to visit theirs too but this wasn't the case.

FOOD - was great. Different themes every night in the main buffet. Waiters and all the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more efficient. We managed to book the hotel's Italian a la Carte one night as part of the AI package and it was just perfect - absolutely delicious 4 course meal. The staff were wonderful there as well. I just wish that we'd been faster to book as the hotel offers a dine around option where you can eat in several a la cartes in the nearby Atlantica hotels including the Holiday Village. I was desperate to get in there and have a look as we keep almost booking a holiday village, but alas by the second day of our holidays all the places had gone! Also some of the other Atlantica Hotels only offered spaces after 8.30 which was too late with children in tow. The evening of a la carte felt truly like a 5* holiday so I wish we could have had a few more like that.

POOL - is good, but we struggled to get sunbeds. I'd heard that reserving wasn't allowed and towels were removed but never witnessed this. It was so frustrating with young children on the hottest week of the year there to not have shade because selfish people had reserved beds for themselves and all their kids! It also got very busy. I was trying to teach my youngest to swim but we were constantly being hit by balls and bumped into by lilos etc. But it was mid August so I wasn't surprised.

BEACH - just past the swimming pool. We made use of the free pedalo hire offered by the hotel and they enjoyed it, but the children were slightly disappointed when they found out they weren't allowed the ones with the little slide for free. Take some beach shoes as it's hard going on foot there, but still nice and clean.

DAYS OUT
On the last day we took a bus to Tsambika beach which was glorious and only ten mins away. Clear waters, beautiful sand, tons of watersports and cafes. I wish we'd tried it earlier in the holiday. We also took a bus to Rhodes Town which was lovely - a bit of culture, museum, nice lunch and lots of shopping. The buses stop right outside the hotel and were much cheaper than the Thomson trips so we did it ourselves.

ROOM
We stayed in the main hotel, facing the waterpark and mountains which was lovely. The sea view rooms also face the main pool and appear to have a bigger balcony with sun loungers whereas we just had a table and chairs but we were quite happy. We had booked 2 separate rooms, which was all we could get, despite wanting a family size room for 6, but the hotel gave us interconnecting when we arrived which I was very grateful for. The fridge was stocked with some water and soft drinks but these weren't replaced which was a shame as they have always replaced stock daily in the Turkish hotels we've stayed at. The cleaning staff were lovely and very efficient.

REPS/ ENTERTAINMENT /KIDS CLUB ETC
The Thomson reps Jess and James were the best I have ever encountered. So friendly and always available. When we arrived the children were greeted by 'Hannah Banana' from kids club and despite us never taking the children there, she remembered my kids' names and said hello to them every evening at mini disco which was the highlight of their day. They all worked so hard and never stopped smiling - they're a credit to the hotel.

The evening entertainment was, I feel the biggest let down. When you go to a 5* hotel, you expect more than reps (great as they are) mining to pop songs or karaoke nights. I'm not a snob, but it's a family hotel, all the kids are watching the shows and they want to be entertained, not just the mini disco - the show should be a highlight for the whole family. We saw one outside act which was an acrobatic troupe and that was a highlight. Also, we seemed to be hanging around ages after the mini disco for the main show to start. I've never experienced this before and the children everywhere got restless and noisy - it was a shame and the only thing that would make me think twice about booking again.

Other than that, lovely hotel and amazing staff. I'd say it was 4.5 stars.

4 Thank GEORGIEGRACE
AlexandrosKanis, Manager at Atlantica Aegean Blue, responded to this review, 13 September 2014
Hello from Atlantica Aegean Blue. Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review regarding your recent stay with us, your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated by all. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us and that the kids loved the waterpark and kids club. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Returned yesterday from a two week stay at the Atlantica Aegean Blue and I cannot recommend it enough. We travelled for my brother's wedding with 2 children aged 2 and 5 and my mother, and we've all had such a wonderful time. The staff are incredible, so helpful and friendly and always willing to go the extra mile. Food is delicious, and the rooms and facilities are very comfy. I found catering for both children very easy (there are lots of thoughtful touches like plastic cups plates etc at dinner) and both of mine were thoroughly spoilt and made a fuss of by everyone! The wedding was beautiful, and again all of the people at the hotel gave us so much help and advice.
My children have been very grumpy today, they want to go back immediately, and I know how they feel!!!

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Cambridgegirl1126
Greetings from Atlantica Aegean Blue. Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us and for the excellent, your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated by all. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us and in particular had a fantastic day for your brothers wedding. It would be our pleasure to welcome you all back at Atlantica Aegean Blue in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

A few people have asked me (on the BLV facebook group) how does this hotel (AB) compare to Blue Lagoon Village Kos (BLV) or Holiday Village Rhodes (HVR), here is my verdict:

Accomodation its BLV
Food its BLV for quality and variety
Staff friendliness its AB
Pool side facilities its AB
Water Park its AB by far
Gym its BLV
Beach its BLV
Beach facilities its a pebbly AB and HVR uses the nearby AB beach
Evening entertainment its HVR with a close AB
Evening external acts its about equal
Holidaymakers all the same nice people
Big kids facilities its HVR
Kids clubs similar
Restaurant service its joint BLV/AB
Managers presence and impact its AB
Room service all very good
Beds its HVR
Air conditioning its a close BLV/HVR
Emergency doctor at AB very good did not use at others
Baby pool its AB
Pirate ship its HVR
Mini disco-all the same
Evening pool party its AB

Hopefully this a balanced view and may help, my overall view is BLV is the best but for value for money its AB by a long way with a close HVR in third place....but I would and may go back to them all .

Room Tip: go for a side sea view room as some of the cheaper rooms are in the main building and overlook the m...
11 Thank Mike D
Dear Mike D,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am glad to see you thought Atlantica Aegean Blue is good value for money. Thank you for also highlighting in your opinion what our better areas are. I am happy you found our staff friendiness and management presence so good, we really have a great, committed and passionate group.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
#1 of 20 in Kallithea
Atrium Palace Thalasso Spa Resort & Villas

Been to Atlantica Aegean Blue? Share your experiences!