“Fantastic Holiday”

Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Cambridge UK
“Fantastic Holiday”
Reviewed 3 September 2009

We went to the aegean Blue with Thomson for our honeymoon and had a fantastic time. This is a great place for couples and families alike. We went all inclusive, and the food was great, aswell as plenty of entertainment. Thanks to the Thomson Rep Paul who was very friendly and helpfull, pls get in touch, as we missed you at the airport, on FB.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BANDH0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Newcastle
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Like many others I had read earlier reviews and was slightly concerned as we arrived at the hotel. Myself and my partner were on our honeymoon and were taken to our room to find rose petals scattered everywhere and a bottle of wine with a card from management wishing us a happy honeymoon. Our room overlooked the sea and was very peaceful. The food was very tasty with a wide range of choice, I was eating for pleasure not because I was hungry. My husband enjoyed the snack bar between lunch and dinner. You could not wish for better service from servers, bar staff and greeters! Linda in the lobby bar kept our table full off drinks!!! As we were on our honeymoon we chose not to get involved with the rep entertainment which was easy as it was never forced upon you! unlike previous reviews my opinion is that all nationalities were catered for with regards to the entertainment!! And whilst we didn't go to the evening shows when we encountered the reps they were always friendly.
The area of Kolymbia is obviously only just being built up but if you want a peaceful relaxing holiday then it is fine. We hired a car from the hotel and drove around the island whih was fun we particularly enjoyed Old Rhodes Town. We also went for a few walks and a game of crazy golf :)
All in all I must say we had an amazing holiday in an outstanding hotel and would easily reccommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Starr150809
Southern ~England
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Hi, we have just returned home after a fabulous week at the Atlantica Aegean Blue and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. Mid August was apparently the busiest time for the Hotel but all standards were consistently high, the service was excellent and the local people were so friendly. This is one of the best Hotels I have ever stayed at and the only one I have ever wanted to return to for a holiday.

Our room: We had a very comfortable sea view room on the first floor of the main hotel building. This was quite large with a double and a single bed, full bathroom and a huge balcony with two wooden sun loungers with full length cushions, a large parasol and table and chairs. The fridge was well stocked at the beginning of the week, although it was not topped up afterwards, and you need to take your own travel kettle if you want tea/coffee in your room. (The sea view upgrade room price was about £80 from Thomson when booking.)

The food: This place is food heaven. You could spend all day eating and drinking on the all inclusive tarif if you wanted to, We especially loved the cheeseburger bar (served with salad) between lunch and dinner times. Breakfast was a very elaborate affair with EVERYTHING you could think of, cereals and traditional cooked everything, plus loads of fruit and yogurts, pancakes, waffles and syrup plus cooked meats and cheeses, croissants and chocolate croissants etc. It was nice to be able to have ice-creams all day long, (from the pool bar besides the restaurants) and there was usually a fab choice of food at main meal times too. I especially enjoyed the Sunday roast dinner with yorkshire puddings and gravy, served at lunch time in the Taverna. Another favourite was the spicy Gyros lamb Pitta. I could go on and on but I'm making myself hungry. Cannot think when we have enjoyed food so much! There were also always lovely puds but probably very fattening as they often involved thick quilts of whipped cream.

Trips: We went to see the butterflys and took the boat trip to Chalki (pronounced Halki). The moths did not disappoint but the outward boat journey was awful and lasted over an hour. The crew were seriously giving out sick bags, which, however, were not needed. The return journey seemed calmer. The island is definitely worth visiting, it was so peaceful and picturesque, especially the Harbour, which reminds one of Symi, but Chalki is more of a secret. The sandy beach was quite a small strip for so many tourists (head for the beds under the trees, nice and shady) but you could walk out in the water for quite a way before it came up to your waist. We had a lovely meal in the taverna overlooking this beach.

We took the Capital Encounters tour to Rhodes town, which I felt to be a bit over-rated to be honest. After the lengthy history tour we had free time for shopping in the medieval city, which was excellent, then we went on a boat trip around the harbour to look at the lights, but we could have been anywhere and there was a cold sea wind. You could not see the castle properly from the sea, nor was the iconic deer on the pillar at all visible. Some people paid more for a meal and maybe this would have made the trip more memorable.

By far the best trip was the one we made ourselves by taxi (after waiting for a bus outside the Hotel which did not show up) to Lindos. This place did not disappoint! It manages to have a very traditional Greek atmosphere dispite the heavy tourism. We climbed to the top of the acropolis in, we were told, seering 36 degrees heat, but it was worth it for the views. Then had a drink and doughnut each at the cafe overlooking the beach which came to 5 euros each. It was six euros for an adult to go to the top and children were free, but be careful of the sheer drops at the sides of paths and some stone steps, with no railings. Pedlars were dotted at the sides of the path up to the acropolis so you had to walk round them, which could be a bit nerve wracking, especially on the way down. The souvenir shopping in Lindos was very picturesqe in a labyrinth of narrow lanes. The beach was lovely but very busy. The taxi fare was 33 Euros going and 27 coming back. We'd have paid that much for a trip though, if there was one, and it was nice to have the air conditioning. We had been warned by the Rep of overcrowding on the local busses, they apparently do not stop people piling on when the bus gets full.

Local area: This is the only real problem the Hotel has. I know that Kolymbia is still developing but the ditches are either full of rubbish or smell of stagnant water. Apart from the odd bright pink or red flowering bush there is just scrub land or waste land between Hotels. Near to the Hotel there are just general stores and you have to walk into Kolymbia to find nice shops selling local crafts etc. This is best in the evening when it is not too hot. Turn left at the Oasis bar for some good souvenir shops. If we had stayed longer we would have visited the church on top of the mountain next to the Hotel. I asked about climbing up the steps from Tsambiki beach but the Rep told us about about giant hairy spiders and snakes, plus potentially loose rocks which would be dangerous if there was an earth tremor! However you can get about three quarters of the way up by taxi, then climb the steps for the rest of the way. I should think there is a fantastic view from the top. Praying at the Church is supposed to be famous for helping couples to conceive when they have tried everything else. We have read that many people on Rhodes are named either Tsambika or Tsambikios if their parents were helped by praying here.

The entertainment: Well, have to admit that when we heard some old Broadway songs being sung (or in some cases, massacred) we believed what we had previously read in the reviews about the entertainment. Even if sung beautifully, who wants to listen to songs like 'Diamonds are a girl's best friend' on holiday? It is just kareoke fodder. BUT another show we watched, think it was called the Cocktail or Cabaret party, was a really good mix of acts and we did enjoy it, the English and German reps worked together. I think all nationalities were amused by the skit of an English and a German rep watching a football match together. The Greek night was also fun and well attended. It was nice to be in a Hotel where many women dressed up in the evening. It was ok to be casual, but nice to see some understated Maximara dresses (I want one now) and a few more flamboyant evening dresses. There were also some fabulous shoes on display, my favourite were silver diamante high heels. (Anyone know the designer?)

The pool areas: are just as good as the pictures in the brochures, but why do they play ball games in the central, circluar pool as well as the square sports pool? We kept getting hit by the ball and there is no getting away from the loud running commentry if you just want to 'chill', but this will not stop us returning to the Hotel. Finally, I think the camp songs one English 'You are the one' - learn the words before you go, and German (Ba Dingoo?) should be dropped, they change the Hotel atmosphere from fairly elegant to Butlins in seconds. Very few people join in with the dancing.

• Stayed August 2009
3 Thank aerobabe
WORCESTER
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel first two weeks in August, and it was absolutly fabulous. we had read a few reviews before we travelled, too many germans etc poor food choice. well rest assured, the food is fantastic with a full english brekkie, continental choice fruit etc. wide choice of food at lunch and dinner, (not all fish). pool bar serves nearly all day ice cream, slushies for the kids and lots of nice beverages for the adults. The staff are very friendly, hotel very clean and the family room we had was very nice with a partition to seperate the room, excellent idea. there a choice of five pools including a jaccuzi, although the water was colder than the sea. There isnt a need to get up at daft oclock to get a sunbed,there always seems to be one available whatever time you turn up at the pool. There was a nice mix of nationalities french,swiss english american italian, and we also made some new friend from... Germany. Overall a fantastic base to relax and unwind. We hired a car from the Rodos car rental co. A rep is at the hotel most times of the day. Savas was really helpful, giving us tips on parking and marking the places of interest on the map, helping us to make the most of the car. You must see where the two oceans meet at Prassinisi and the wonderful old town in Rhodes,beautiful. We are already thinking of returning next year. A big thankyou to all the staff including our rep Paul who made our holiday so special.

middlesbrough
Reviewed 16 August 2009

we have been home a week from a weeks holiday in Club Atlantica Aegean Blue, and havn't stopped thinking about it. The young staff both English and German worked ever so hard to involve you if you wanted and entertain you. They were all extremely friendly, lively and enthusiastic-and can only be complimented wether you joined in or not. The food was fantastic, one night I was so impresseed with the freshly cooked dish I asked the chef for the recipe and within the evening it was posted through our door (since cooked it at home-not quite as delicious!!!) Our room had a partition door which allowed our 15 year old some of her own space to get ready. All inclusive was so worth paying for, never done it before but will certainly do it again. Read mixed reviews before we went, not sure what to expect, but would like to make it clear, from us we had a fantastic holiday well done to all the entertainment staff!
The water sports were brilliant, my daughter and myself did the parasailing which was out of this world!! Free pedalos from the hotel each day which we really enjoyed, just floating in tthe clear warm sea, with the occasional dive into off the boat!!! BUT don't forget flip plops as the beach is pebbly and the sand and paths HOT!!!
Plenty of drinks available all day, no need to fill water bottles at breakfast, (soft drinks lots of water, and alcholic) lunch buffet style in pool taverna fantastic!!!
Did realise we were in the middle of nowhere as Kolimibia has nothing to offer really, didn't do any excursions, enjoyed all the hotel had to offer.

1 Thank aytonfamily
Birmingham
Reviewed 13 August 2009

After reading some of the mixed reviews I was a little worried, but as soon as you arrive you relax. The hotel was spotless and the staff friendy and helpful. We were sent to our rooms which were spacious, clean and with a quite simple but nice interior. Our mini fridge was stocked with a welcome pack including drinks, sandwiches and sweets. The air con in the rooms was good enough although you had to put your key card into a slot to turn it on so your room couldn't cool whilst you were'nt in there, but just put a gym membership card or a supermarket loyalty card in and it will cool while you eat at night, just don't leave it in the day for the maid to find!
The beach was a bit disapointing as it was stony and the sea went to deep to quick for my youngest daughter (11), but the watersports centre was brilliant, parasending was fantastic - something you have to do and the pools were clean and fun for the kids as well, so although we never normally stay by the pool we did this holiday.
The food was lovely and there was loads of choice and there were loads of drinks, no limit on how many you could have.
Although there was an on site shop we suspected some of the products there like toothpaste and sun cream was not quite genuine - so bring plenty. The entertainment was alright. My eldest daughter found it hilarious, especially the german entertainment and there was a club dance which although it shocks you at first, then gets stuck in your head. The daytime activites were good, water aerobics and yoga for me and my eldest daughter and a beauty afternoon with treatments, there was also water polo and volleyball for my husband as well as loads of activities we didn't do. There was also a spa where I had a back massage which was brilliant.
There was loads of different nationalities and the germans can all speak english anyway so that was no problem.
Overall I would recommend this holiday to friends and I would go back even though I rarely go back to the same place.

1 Thank bee2207
Suffolk
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We've just returned from this super hotel after a great week's holiday. We hadn't done AI before and I was pleasantly surprised as I thought there would be some restrictions on what we could eat or drink, but there weren't. The notes from the hotel say that only local soft drinks are included but in fact Coke and 7UP were also available as part of the deal. It was great in the heat not having to worry about the number of drinks we had on cost grounds.

As other reviewers have said, the hotel and grounds are kept spotless and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. We had a problem with our air conditioning one evening, which we reported just before dinner. When we got back to the room after dinner the maintenance man was already there. When he couldn't fix it immediately, we were given the use of another room overnight but could still keep our main luggage in the original room. The air conditioning was fixed by the time we'd had breakfast the next morning.

The food has had mixed reviews on this site, but we really enjoyed it - lots of variety not just of main courses but of vegetables, rice, potatoes and pasta etc. We particularly enjoyed the paella cooked in the restaurant by the chef one evening. Male teenagers can be fussy eaters but my two loved everything and happily tried things they've never eaten before. And there's nothing like eating fresh fruit for breakfast al fresco!

Pool complex was great and although we were told the hotel was full the week we were there, the pools never felt too crowded to enjoy. Plenty of pool based activities - I really enjoyed the aqua aerobics session.

OK, the beach is shingle, but it's not that bad and the sea was beautifully warm. We tried some of the water sports available at one end of the beach and had a great time. Parascending was great and better than when I've tried it elsewhere - very capable crew and you take off from and land back in the speedboat rather than being dropped into the sea and hauled back on board!

The holiday company trips are very expensive - we used buses and taxis instead which worked out really well. We went to Seven Springs by taxi - if you have a drink at the cafe they'll call you a taxi to take you back to the hotel. Don't miss the turtles under the road bridge - we saw twelve when we were there.

We also went to Rhodes Old Town by bus - highly recommended. It takes about 45 minutes and costs 3 euro each way. It's an amazing place with ancient medieval walls and lots of atmosphere. Wear flat comfortable shoes, though, as the cobbles can be hard on the feet.

We loved the whole experience - we don't normally holiday in the same place twice, but if we did, I would certainly want to come back here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
#1 of 20 in Kallithea
Atrium Palace Thalasso Spa Resort & Villas

Been to Atlantica Aegean Blue? Share your experiences!