“Exceeded Expectations!”

Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Kolimbia
Higher Bebington, null, United Kingdom
“Exceeded Expectations!”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

So this is going to be a very honest review of the Marathon Hotel.

After reading all the reviews on here before leaving, me and my partner both admitted to be apprehensive.

PLEASE do not be put off by those reviews. This hotel is exactly what I would describe as a basic 3* All Inclusive.

The food, though not very varied, was well prepared and cooked. There may not of been a lot of choice so for those of you, like my partner, who a a bit of a fussy eater, may end up eating the same foods. However, the food is delicious! I myself took full advantage of it and it was always replenished when it was running low and the service at dinner with clearing the tables was brilliant.

The all inclusive alcoholic drinks, personally I struggled with this. I am fussy with alcohol so that's my issue not the hotels. Basic local spirits and beer a long with soft drinks. Cocktails were from 8 pm til the AI finished at 22:45.

Yes there are queues, but the bar staff are brilliantly quick and they have a 1 drink per person rule at that time to keep the queue moving.

The rooms were always kept clean and tidy, maids usually come early morning and if your asleep early afternoon so always a chance to get fresh towels etc. Please note, take a bath towel or buy one there as not provided at the hotel. We got ones for 4euro.

The hotels cleanliness on a whole was marvelous. Could not fault the facilities one bit. The hotel has FREE wifi - please see reception. Don't be silly like me and use your phone!

Now the staff. Alls I will say is helpful, willing and happy! Just what you want when your away. The reception staff, tends to be split between a male and female duo, are so helpful. We had a small issue with our transfers that was sorted immediately for us! Also they helpfully told us about the local transport system and the FREE bus to the Water Park.

The hotel is located in what is known as Kolimbia Centre. It's in the midst of bars, restaurants and shops a plenty. The bus stop is right outside enabling you to access Rhodes easily and the beach is about a 5/10 min walk.

Overall I would say this hotel is exactly what you pay for. Considering this is the cheapest holiday we have ever been on, it really did exceed all our expectations and I would recommend this to people in future.

Oh and one last point, yes the Ice Cream is limited to 2 scoops, but you can keep going back so lord knows why some people on here complained!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KaylieandPeter

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kosice, Slovakia
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed there 12 days with my gf. For that price, we weren't expecting very much, but we enjoyed our holidays. Furniture is old, that a minus. But rooms were clean and cleaning ladies visited us every day to clean them again and change towels. Bathroom was in very good condition too. What about food? I can't say anything wrong. We had always enough and it was excellent. Pool was very pleasant, water warm and after all day on beach it's nice to swim in a not salty water for a while. So shortly, rooms were good, services excellent and people very kind. nice place to stay. One more advice: Go to the kolymbia beach(in the end of eucalypt alley to the right). It isn't further than beach on the left side, but it's nicer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Patrik L
Trnava,Slovakia
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed in Hotel Marathon last week. I was quite afraid because of the reviews which I have found on Trip Advisor, but I cannot totally agree with it. Well, first of all, I paid for the stay quite low amount of money, so I did not expect a palace, but an average greek hotel. And I was right. The hotel is located in the centre of Kolymbia, it is almost connected with the nearby cocktail bar - so,great for young people, terrible for families with children.
The quality of hotel was average as well - the rooms are not reconstructed, but I did not mind. The worst thing on the hotel was the food. I really did not like it, the variety and quality of food was so low. When you imagine all inclusive food service as a service full of various meats, salads and desserts, you will be disappointed. Breakfast is always the same (toasts, baguettes, ham, cheese, jams,...), I did not like lunch and dinner - sometimes I even did not choose anything and prefered baguette with butter. There are almost no desserts and no fresh fruits, be ready for it.
Hotel is like 5 minutes walking from 3 different beaches, what I really like, because I have expected longer way to the beach.
The overall experience is good. I did not expect a lot and mainly, I wanted to take a rest and visit beautiful Rhodes and do trips, what I actually did. The hotel was just a place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BarboraFilova
Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This hotel has basic rooms, bed, fridge, television but they are spotlessly clean. The linens and towels are changed every day. The food was good, plenty of salads, usually pasta and two choices of meat plus a fish dish, dessert, jelly, caramel pudding or fruit (Greeks not big on desserts) We paid a small amount for being all inclusive in this hotel, I could not fault it. Very close to other bars etc if you fancied a change of scenery. Swimming pool was very clean, could maybe do with one or two more loungers, also one or two more chairs putting out in an evening. For the price we paid I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Pamela W
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Standard hotel nice rooms and good size pool, a few things would have made it better such as a hairdryer in room as advertised ( they had ordered new ones but the ones that came were too big for the wall so still waiting for replacements). Also in full season not enough chairs at the bar and a lot of people were sat on loungers on an evening. Food was varied but not labeled so if you got pasta sauce and didn't like seafood in it beware. Was in a nice area close to the beach and main shops, also not far from Lindos or Rhodes town. Value for the money we paid. Staff were friendly and helpful. Free aircon in peak season.

Room Tip: Rooms nearest reception you could hear the music from bar on the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LindaW36
hull
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I cannot believe some of the negative reviews for this hotel.
We payed very little for our 1st all inclusive holiday.
And were very suprised at the quality we got for a bargain price,
Rooms basic but very clean,food was average but we payed a below average price for it.
Staff 1st class very helpful when ever we ask for advise etc

If you want a 5 star hotel book one and pay the price,if you want a good quality budget hotel book the Marathon we did and we will return

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank stevewinHull
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Just returned from the Marathon Hotel.

Good points :
Friendly staff and reasonable room size

Bad points :
Very poor food, both in choice and quality which was rarely warm let alone hot.
My son who enjoys Pasta was nearly threw up at one meal as the sauce tasted as though it had been cooked in fish stock.
Very hard to get a sunbed round the pool (the only place there were any available) due to very high amount of non British holiday makers leaving towels down overnight, making it almost impossible to get a sunbed.
British tourists in the minority, mainly German, or Eastern block nationalities who on the whole were very rude and clearly did not know what queuing up meant.
All inclusive bar, very strict rule on no more than 2 drinks per person when queuing up, which resulted in very long queues and a guillotine in the evening at 10.45, even if you had been queuing for ages , you are turned away if not being served by 10.45 pm.
A lot of loud noise in the late evening from surrounding bars and hotels.

I would not recommend this Hotel, there are far better hotels within a 15 minute drive (closer to the Airport) as you will see by my other reviews

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
15 Thank mrscooge

Travellers are raving about these Kolimbia hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Golden Odyssey Kolimbia
#13 of 15 in Kallithea
Irene Palace Beach Resort
Irene Palace Beach Resort
#13 of 33 in Kolimbia

Been to Marathon Hotel? Share your experiences!