“Great time at the loutanis.”
Review of Loutanis Hotel

Loutanis Hotel
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Have just had a 2 week holiday at the loutanis and am going to write an honest review for those of you thinking of going there.
Firstly, you need to remember that this is a budget hotel. Not a five star and you pay for what you get. Most of what you pay is for your flight, not the hotel.
Yes, the rooms are basic, but you can always upgrade if you want to pay. To be honest, you are only there to sleep and get changed. The furniture is basic but its fine, you can make do. But they are cleaned everyday. Not all rooms have a bath, just a basic shower and in some rooms is very small. The towels and sheets are changed regularly.
The bar I feel for an all inclusive could offer more selection of the drinks on offer. During the day, there is wine or beer, which I don't drink either. Also tea, coffee, cola, sprite and water. Between 5.30 and 10.30pm, you can have a choice of 4 cocktails and a few spirits. Rum, gin and vodka along with the beer and wine. To be honest the drinks over there are cheap to buy from the supermarket so we had no problem getting our own. Also, there are plenty of cheap bars around. The paradise bar, memories and oasis are great.
The biggest downfall about the bar was a lady called 'Friday'. She is very rude and spiteful and definitely does not like women. There is no way that she should be there working with the public. She did humiliate several people. But again to be honest, we just laughed it off and saw it as a bit of entertainment. Its the only way to deal with it. Vangelis, the barman is awesome. (Hi Vangelis}, as is the other lady that comes on in the morning.
If Friday wasn't there it would be a much more pleasant experience. If she worked over here she would be sacked without question.
At 11am, you can have pizza and at 2.30pm, cookies.
As for the food, it was fine. Always 2 meat and fish, along with vegetables and pasta and salad.
You could always find something to eat. I feel the area that could be improved is breakfast. Always mini sausage, baked beans and egg. The same everyday. But there were cereals, cheese and ham. With that said, the scrambled egg is delicious. There was also bread and rolls.
As for lunch and the evening meal, yes a lot of people were complaining, but some people just like to complain. I had no issues with it. There was always something for me to enjoy and you can have as much as you want. I ate healthy for 2 weeks and felt much better for it. The vegetables were always cooked lovely and the meat very succulent. Im not really a meat eater, but what I did have was delicious and the fish was great.
As for desserts. I feel there could be a little more choice. Melon everyday, a fruit salad on occasion or ice cream. I did crave something a little different at times, but not enough to spoil my time there.
Again Friday worked in the restaurant and should not be let loose with the public. very rude, never smiles with a bad attitude, but the other staff are great.
As for the pools, they are great. You do need to get up to get your sunbed, but that wasn't an issue. No different to many hotels I have stayed in. But the pool itself is great.
Now onto the manageress. Beautiful Maria. She is the queen of the Loutanis. No relation to the owner. She is just amazing. very passionate about her job and works well with the guests to make sure they are happy. I feel the hotel wouldn't function without her. She works tirelessly, day and night and always with a smile. She is never too busy for a chat and always makes you feel like you are important. She mixes with the guests and will strive to sort any issues you may have. Maria, you deserve the best in life and should be working in a luxury five star. You are our queen and deserve the very best from life and your job. Thank you so very much for making our stay so memorable.
As for entertainment, there was a greek night. I think its once a fortnight. But to be honest, its not that type of hotel where things are going on all day. Which for me was ideal this holiday. The entertainment are the people you meet and mix with. It was great just to relax and have a good laugh with the other people in the hotel.
All in all, my friend and I had a great 2 weeks. You just need to remember, its a budget hotel. You pay for what you get. If you want 5 star with all the trimmings, then go elsewhere. I had a chilled out 2 weeks. met some amazing people and had a damn good laugh with some great memories. That's what a holiday is about. I would go there again if I wanted a cheap holiday just to chill out.
Also, I have read many things about the owner, known as the fat controller. Yes, we heard him shout at the staff which we found quite bad. But at the same time we have to understand and respect the fact that it is his hotel and its the greek way. Everyday, we would say hello to him and by the second week we were greeted with a hello. Give them time and eventually they will respond.
So, if you want a cheap holiday just to chill out and can put up with the basics, then go. It really isn't bad.
The only suggestion I have is to get rid of Friday, have more choice for breakfast and dessert and maybe a couple of extra drinks to choose from, from the bar. But again, it didn't spoil my time there.
So, thank you loutanis and our queen Maria for such a great holiday. I got what I wanted from my holiday. A good rest, recharged my batteries and lots of laughs.
From Sabina...UK

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main block where reception is. They have baths. If you want the best rooms, th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Sabina-jade C

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Just returned from a much needed break away to spend time with my husband, due to work committments we have seen very little of each other recently. The hotel Loutanis looked so nice on the pictures and even though some reviews were bad we gave it the benefit of the doubt and went hoping to have a good relaxing all inclusive holiday........... booking it was our first mistake!! Actually going was our second!!!
Flight out - booked on small planet airlines- not good, 3 hour delay and ended up going out on a cyprus airline but plane clean, cabin crew good, complimentary meal - no complaints. Arrived at hotel aropund 07.00 hrs.
Loutanis hotel - met by an elderly lady who took our passports off us gave us a key and pointed out directions to room. Very rusty door knob was our first concern, enter room - bathroom on left, toilet had big crack around the pan and shower not able to put up on wall, wardrobe very small, mirror on wall at an angle which couldn't be straightened. Tried to get some sleep but banging doors and people shouting made this impossible. complained about the room and got offered another. Slighly better but bath needs replacing as dirty and stained. Asked for air conditioning and had to pay 30 euros.
Went for evening meal - food appalling and choice was very little, I lived on toast, lettuce and water !!! No desserts were served.
Through out the week the following things happened - room not cleaned at all except for sweeping of floor once, sheets not changed although refolded to make it look like new ones had been left - demanded a fresh one. Had to ask for more towels as only one was left for two people, towels old, threadbare and stained. Toilet leaked and had to keep putting bath mat around to catch the water.
There were not enough sunbeds and selfish people left their towels but didn't use the beds, no pool towels, pool bar ridiculously slow serving and very little choice - no alcohol, beer and cheap wine in small glasses.
On the wall was a life jacket rather than a life belt, we wondered whether it was for the person to put on to do the rescue or for the person in difficulties trying to put on!!!
There was no hot water in the mornings but after being on the beach and needing a cool shower the water was hot .... when you could get some, dont try and shower at 6pm, I called the desk once to say there was no water and she said she would be straight up....I am still waiting for her to knock on the door!!!!
Lunch was just another disgusting meal, not enough tables in the dining area, food ran out very quickly and slow to replace, everything was long queues.
A couple of the staff were nice but most were rude the Fat controller just sat near the pool barking out his orders and staring at the guests, very creepy.
I have not been on holiday before and felt so envious as I watched peole leaving!!
Flight hme - delayed again, the plane which turned up was unmarked and a boeing 737 - last seen in the black and white movie era!! Very cramped, given a toasted sandwich and small cold drink, saw very little of cabin crew.

To summarise - if you haven't already booked but considering - DON'T!!! However if you have already booked here are some survival tips -
We ate out most evenings in order to get a decent meal but we had paid for all inclusive.
Take towels for the pool because the Fat Contoller, owner, does not supply them.
Don't expect your room to be cleaned and well maintained then you won't be disappointed.
Take extra money so you go to the beach and get a sunbed and eat out and have a decent drink. Hope you get a room with a fridge and then you can buy your favourite tipple and keep soft drinks cool.
you have to be out of the room by midday even if your flight isn't untill the early hours, you can pay to keep your room on but this just adds insult to injury.
Don't expect entertainment in the hotel - only one greek night and that was only singing.
Don't expect a selection of snacks from the pool bar then you wont be disappointed.
Rhodes is lovely but get a better hotel if you can - the Loutanis completely ruined my holiday.
Don't go with olympic holidays or fly with small planet
I will never do a internet holiday again people say it is a cheap holiday but actually it wasn't with all the extra costs. The Loutanis is disgusting and should be closed down until brought up to acceptable standards.
Even the people in the town sympathised with us when we said where we were staying!!!!!
Do yourselves a faour - don't go it really is the pits.

Room Tip: It really dosn't matter which room you get they are much the same, if you have a room with a blu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bavinjulia
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Well where do I start....

This place needs shut down, I'd rather stay a week in a Greek prison

We didn't even last a day before we left and moved to a beautiful hotel called mikri poli just around the corner.

We arrived about half 2 in the morning, both feeling very tired and went straight to the reception desk to be greeted by a man who just stared at us blankly and literally only said 1 word 'passports'. There was no explanation on what was happening, what the food times were, any Information on the hotel whatsoever. We didn't know anything he just walked away and we guessed this was him showing us our room. We got to our room which was dated to say the least! The plywood door didn't even shut properly! The bathroom was made for dwarfs there was no shower curtain or floor mat. It was so small and dirty. The bed was 2 single beds literally about one inch of the floor pushed together. The balcony opened up to another room we could touch their balcony it was that close. We had no view whatsoever just another part of the hotel, no privacy at all. You have to pay €5 a day for air con, there was no safe and seen as the door wouldn't even shut properly you couldn't trust to leave anything there. We only slept 3 hours that night! All we heard were doors banging constantly and people running up and down the corridor, as soon as we fell asleep we were woken again by someone banging doors. It was really really bad. It was definitely the worst hotel I've stayed in.

We both had read reviews on this hotel and were open minded. We didn't expect luxury and arrived with no expectations.

When we left the manager and reception staff were rude. One of the reasons we gave as to why we left was the hotel looks nothing like the photos. The manager replied yeah they are old pictures.

You will definitely be dissapointed staying here, it's 100% worth paying a little bit extra to stay somewhere else...

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Emhughx
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Me and my partner have just arrived home from a holiday in Greece. We were booked in to the Loutanis hotel, Kolymbia. We then moved to the Monousos in Rhodes town. Our reason for moving was because the hotel was disgusting the food was not edible. I have never been so disappointed with a hotel. It is dirty and not looked after. As for the resort if you want a busy area with plenty to do, do not go to Kolymbia as there is nothing to do, its bare and feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. Would never go back there again. Seriously go to Rhodes town, beautiful place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sam S
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay 26th June to 3rd July at this hotel, and i agree with previous two reviews, so i will not go over old ground. the problem i had was with the all inclusive. by the time i checked in i made it too the bar at 10-30pm only to be told the all inclusive had finished. i informed the bar maid it is advertised as 11-00pm. she said that was wrong.

The pool bar is the only one that serves the hotel, it has one beer pump and one person serving so the kids are in the same queue for ice cream ( 1euro each) as the adults resulting in long queues, so they need to address that. and maybe put another beer pump behind the bar and another person serving.

During the day from 10-30am you can only get wine and beer and soft drinks, the beer is served in Ridiculously small glasses so your back and too the bar to join the queue again you can have a bigger glass but you have to pay 2 euros. and you can only get vodka gin, ect after 17-30pm.
All the above is just for your information and not to criticise the hoteI, it can be a difficult decision for hotels with the all inclusive option and i am sure the above measures are there to stop guests being surrounded by drunken loud mouth people all day, but instead of punishing everyone, just dont serve anyone who you think has had enough which i know can be difficult.

i realise this was a cheap break and i could not fault the staff or the cleanliness of the hotel, the manager Maria is excellent, i think the owner who sits in the shade all day shouting his orders need to take a step back, its not very nice to see him chastise staff in the public view.

Just a few tweaks on the all inclusive, and maybe have two sitting times for the meals would help improve things, the only reason i will not return is i find it difficult to complete the 15minute walk to the local bars and restaurants.

forgot to add air conditioning is 5 euro a day,

If you looking for a cheap break then this is for you. i hope this review helps.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank squonk40
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Just been for a week on a "lads" holiday here and after reading some of the reviews we were obviously extremely sceptical about it. But by all means don't be deceived by these because you get what you pay for really.

Bedrooms were a good size. Clean, good balcony and clean sheets. Bathroom was small but was completely fine for showering. If you have a big family I think it would be a small problem but if you're in a couple or by yourself it's more than fine.

Entertainment is non existent so you end up drinking alot more than usual but that isn't really a problem. Also the spirits and beers are extremely weak so it takes atleast 15 cocktails to even feel slightly tipsy. Taste fine though and the beer was always cold.

Food was a mixture of random meats, rice, chips and pasta. Personally, I enjoyed the food as each night the meat was different and had some exotic flavours but to a fussy eater I can imagine eating can be slightly difficult.

Staff get over worked and vaggelis seemed to work aleast 12 hours everyday and never complained. However Friday, the waitress, IMO was horrible. She was constantly moody and Just looked disgusted that I asked her for a couple of beers. The fat controller was like a horrible walking heart attack and uses his moped to travel around the hotel. He moans all the time and is just generally a complete idiot.

But if you think he's bad, you will need to meet the night auditor. Moody, will swear at you and even tried attacking me. Just stay out of his way at all costs. The manager however is one of the nicest women you will ever meet and goes out of her way to help anyone.

In all I enjoyed my stay in which was a low budget holiday. Too many German and Russians for my liking but I can't grumble. Some were less annoying than the moaning old Brits that seem to be around every corner.

I won't be returning to the hotel but if you want a cheap holiday, I'd say go for it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 10 nights to celebrate our anniversary and generally have a sunny holiday.
The weather couldn't have been better, and our needs from the hotel were fairly minimal. Admittedly, we didn't pay a fortune.
The food isn't brilliant - you won't starve, but if you are unwilling to dive in to a plateful of mystery meat, you might find yourself living on plain chips, plain pasta, bread and salad. You can tell that they're trying to please everyone, but in doing so, they don't seem to have pleased anyone!
The other food issue is that it is referred to as all inclusive. Don't let that give you the wrong impression - no ice cream, tiny drinks so you spend a lot of time queuing for top ups, badly timed meals and very little available in between. For one hour every morning, there are small pieces of pizza up for grabs, and in the afternoon there are little biscuits. Dinner starts too late, so if you have children, be prepared for their hunger!

The room we had is nice, although we had two single beds pushed together, and the noise in the morning was enough to wake us up. Nice and clean inside and out - the small pool might be a losing battle though, given that leaves blow in to it from the trees constantly!
There are more people than sunbeds, so early rising is necessary if you want to use them, especially if you don't want to be splashed by unsupervised children!
The hotel is slightly further from the action than some might like, but it makes for a nice walk to go to the beach or shops. Everything is easily walkable for most people, but if it overwhelms you, there is a minibus to the beach a few times a day.
Staff were all very polite and friendly, and if you had an issue, they'd try to fix it. I do think they could have done with more hands on deck, especially at breakfast, where if you timed it wrong you'd have to wait for one guy to replace everything that had run out by himself!
We had a lovely time, because we didn't let the little things get us down, but if we were to come back to Rhodes, I think we'd give another hotel a try.

• Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Summer Dream Hotel
#20 of 34 in Kolimbia
Fantasy Hotel
Fantasy Hotel
#32 of 34 in Kolimbia

Been to Loutanis Hotel? Share your experiences!