“Good location for traveling by car. Good beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of SunConnect Kolymbia Star

SunConnect Kolymbia Star
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Kolimbia
Riga, Riga, Latvia
“Good location for traveling by car. Good beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Very comfortable, silent hotel with excellent staff. We were satisfied with breakfast, dinner every day. Almost no children at the hotel.Great place if you want to stay in silent place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

My boyfriend and I travelled here for a week in September 2011.
Location:
Our transfer by coach from Rhodes airport took just over an hour. Kolymbia is quite small and when we took a walk round we were quite surprised by how run down it was. No clubs and it's very quiet - which is what we wanted! We didn't see many restaurants and the on-site supermarket was extremely overpriced and we couldn't find much.
Room:
Our standard room was spotless and a very good size. The TV only showed Greek channels and a BBC World channel that was very repetitive. We also had a gorgeous balcony with stunning views over the mountain. I think the balcony comes as standard on all rooms here.
The room was cleaned every day and the maid did a great job and they all seemed very friendly.
Food:
This is where the Kolymbia Star lets itself down! Breakfasts and dinners are served buffet-style in a massive dining room. On the first morning we were shown to a table and told that 'this is your table'. Food selection was OK (it catered very much towards the German guest with lots of cooked meats and cheeses and nothing Greek!) but you won't get a good cup of tea! ;) Dinner was pretty awful. I am vegetarian and most nights there was just NO CHOICE and no sources of protein (beans, pulses etc.) Although I recognise that perhaps Greece isn't that 'into' vegetarianism, I was worried that other health diets supposedly catered for (such as GF or coeliac) would also be disregarded. One night I found a chickpea dish and took lots, only to discover there was bacon in it! The food was labelled awfully in four languages - Greek, German, English and Italian. One night my boyfriend tried the 'poached smooth hound' I hope it wasn't dog... But the unclear labelling was really, really annoying. There was always chips and rice, but any good veggie knows that protein is very important and so this was really annoying for me. A waiter took orders for drinks at dinner (which you have to pay for and they are veeeery expensive!) Our waiter was pretty surly and unsmiling. The restaurant manager although he had good langauge skills, seemed a bit oily and he smelled of BO. I didn't like that you had to pay for drinks - it wasn't made clear at any point.
We struggled at lunchtime as the options (hotel cafe, supermarket and nearby bars) were SO expensive. We hadn't come prepared with enough money to eat out every day for lunch and pay for drinks at dinner, so a couple of days we had to go hungry or eat crisps! I would recommend bringing some of your own snacks from home like crisps or biscuits, as you wont find cheap ones there!
Stuff to do:
One day we caught a bus into Rhodes town. it was a boiling hot coach with no air-con and completely packed with people (people having to stand). I didn't think much to the town but it was good to have a change of scenery.
We found a lovely quiet little bar about twn minutes' walk away where they had great cocktails.
The pool at the hotel was lovely - great location, seemed very clean and not too crowded.
There was a nice beach about seven minutes' walk away. You passed lots of very nice looking hotels on the way down and I couldn't help but wish we'd picked a different one! This beach was very quiet (a little bay) with a section of loungers and parasols and a strange old man. There were no signs to say whether they were free to use/you had to pay/they belonged to a particular hotel/how much they were which I didn't like. So we just spread out own towels down on a sandy area. The sea was lovely and clear and we did a bit of snorkelling.

All in all, I wouldn't go back to the Kolymbia Star. Food was a massive let down as there wasn't enough choice for food, and resturant staff seemed to be quite unfriendly on the whole. However, we had a great, comfy room, spotlessly clean and really enjoyed relaxing at the pool. It was quiet at night and most guests were friendly, older (German) couples.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MrsBosh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Average and modest hotel. Itbis a good hotel if you want to travel around rhe island all day. Nice location but in the 3rd line from the beach. Food is very simple and the same almost every day.

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank Blas22
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

All rooms looked the same to me, some were by the sewerage though and the smell is bad. The staff were all very, very good. Receptionists, maids and especially Seva and Otto in the restaurant were excellent. My bed was rock hard. I didn't bother complaining as I thought they would all be like it, but I found out (too late!) that they do have some non-turn comfy matresses, so ask for a better one if yours is like a brick! The air-con is not wonderfully efficient, but it is free in Summer. The air-con costs 5E a day after Oct 1st and mossies are a problem if you open the door (the rooms only have sliding doors, no windows except in the bathroom!) So take anti-mossie plug ins! The restaurant was like a canteen - not a place to relax really. I am used to lukewarm Greek food, but this was cold fried eggs every morning and lots of other cold food too. Frankfurters at breakfast were mostly warm! Bacon only once in a week and wasn't the lovely Greek bacon that is usually served. I had to smile at the review that said the honey is fake - Rhodes is the island of bees and honey! The honey tastes fake because it is also cheap! Shame because the big bowls of Greek yogurt are excellent! There was fresh Melon every day and most times grapes. There were cakes and biscuits and tinned fruit at breakfast. The tea & coffee self serve from the machine is dire! The fruit juice, from the machine also, is again cheap - Anyone remember "Bird's Apeel"? It tastes just like that! LOL! Also, two cheap Cereals, raisins, the slowest toaster in the world and coissants as well as cooked breakfast, so again, a big choice but not a great choice. Food is kept over hot water - not effiecient. Also the cooking is ok but I think they use the cheapest ingredients, so don't blame the chefs! ! I think the soup was Knorr sometimes. It might have been home made some days, but was very salty. There is at least one pasta dish every day that is pretty good and some of the meat dishes weren't bad. Chips every day - in fact three types of potato most days and two pastas - so you won't go short of carbs! Two or three meat choices, beef, lamb, pork, chicken. One veggie meal, one fish, only one type of green veg - somedays beans, some sprouts - all done to the point of nearly soggy though. There is a lot of choice and most people found something they could eat for dinner, but you wouldn't really say it was great. The gateaux at pudding is good, so is the jelly. Lots of the german food is tasty (the cold first courses) The ice-cream is the cheapest "stuff" I have ever tasted and it is nothing like ice-cream. Like another reviewer said "There is a lot of food wasted here"! They need the Hotel Inspector from that TV show to show them how to do fewer choices of better quality! However, it is cheap to stay here, so pay a bit more if you want better food perhaps or go out to eat. The local taverna, Michels, does a roaring trade with people from this hotel! The pools are really lovely and plenty of sunbeds, but no matresses on them. Food at the pool bar for lunch was super and not expensive. Service there again very good, Oh, the only TV in English is World News on a loop, some people didn't even get that! Nice to have a free fridge in the room. No safe in the room, you can hire a safety deposit box in Reception - I think it was 20E a week, can't remember now. Lots of steps up into the restaurant, so not for people with bad mobility unless you stay room only and go out to eat. About five blocks to the beach which is very stoney on the beach and in the water, you need shoes. There is a shop at the front of the hotel and Bus stops outside to Rhodes, so it is very easy to get there for the day. Someone said it stops at a good beach 15 minutes from the Hotel but we didn't go there. Star Bar nearby has good atmosphere, good food and drinks - crepes were excellent - the man serving (owner I guess) is very nice and they have about 15 tv's for the sport! The kiddies play area is nice there too. Star Bar is the best looking place in Kolymbia too, everywhere else looks a bit grey/beige - this place has some colour and looks cheerful and welcoming!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank oojjiibboo
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

The Kolymbia star whilst not perfect has got to be one of the best half board hotels on Rhodes. Dependent on where you are placed in the hotel you may find yourself near the sewage plant which can smell a little high at times but only when going in or out of ones room, that said most drains anywhere on Rhodes give off unpleasant odours. The hotel is spotless and the maids and grounds people do a marvellous job tending the rooms as well as all the outside spaces. The food in my opinion is plentiful and of a good quality with lots of variety. I have never had piping hot food in Greece so I struggle to understand when guests complain it is cold? It maybe cool but rarely undercooked. The staff in the restaurant work extremely hard and in general did it with a smile, very commendable. The location of the hotel would not suit everybody as the centre of Kolymbia is a good 25 minute walk along roads and pathways strewn with litter and rubbish. The beach down the road is not the best but is fine and benefits from having "Sexy Billy’s" canteen where a good quality sandwich can be had along with a drink for about 5E. With a bus stop outside the hotel you can travel all over the island very cheaply but be early otherwise you may be stood up all the way.
I note that a recent reviewer stated that the hotel drinks were expensive. I tend to agree but it is a hard one to call. Following a day of rest and relaxation it is nice to sit in the evening having a drink and a natter in the bar but with local quality gin and vodka tonics at 4E's 20C and a glass of coke at 2E 80C you are not encouraged to stay for long drinking. Perhaps a happy hour could have been tried but unfortunately some people do not know how to behave when presented with this opportunity and the Kolymbia star must never consider going all inclusive like lots of hotels in the area because it would loose that little slice of individuality which places it a cut above the rest. That said the bar in the evening was always generally quiet, where did all the guests go? The bar manager Mano was a good host and was rarely without a smile, likewise the reception staff who were always very helpful and a credit to the hotel.
My wife and I for the second time in three years had a wonderful holiday at the star and will definitely be using the hotel again.

Room Tip: Avoid 10* to 20*
13 Thank frequenteirevisitor
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

First of all I start with a warning for all those using Thomson/First Choice. We booked and paid for a family Room, and on arrival at midnight on 21 Sept were shown to Rm 51 which was quite clearly NOT a Family Room. Spoke to Reception who said to leave it until the Morning at 10 am.
Next day went to Reception to be told Manager not available and in any case Thomson/First Choice DO NOT have Family Rooms at this Hotel. Phoned the Thomson Help Line in UK on my Mobile and asked them to 'phone me back. Waited 30 mins phoned again and was told I would be 'phoned back immediately. Waited another 30 mins 'phoned again and they said they could not get through to my room. I said I would go to Reception and await their 'phone call. They 'phoned and basically said that I would have to wait until Rep turned up at 5pm. Unhappy with this I suggested that Thomson should get the Rhodes Office Manager off her backside and drive to Hotel to sort matter out. This was refused. Got off the 'phone and Receptionist who had been listening to my call to UK immddiately said that a room (301) would be ready at 1pm. I do not know why the sudden change of heart but when rep did turn up he blamed Hotel for 'trying it on'. Second warning is DO NOT pay for Thomson to keep your room until 6pm. They charge , as a convenience to their customer, £64 for this. The Hotel however charge 30 EUROS and guarantee you can keep your own room. There is no such guarantee with Thomson. There were a number of us when discovering this very angry with Thomson Holidays as it is a blatant rip off. Rep of no use as he said it was a UK problem.
Back to the Hotel itself. It is a very clean Hotel and towels are changed daily and sheets every two days. The pool area is lovely and there is no problem in getting a sun bed, no matter what time of day you get there. It is full of Germans but I must say I did not get the impression they were treated any better than the Brits. The restaurant was very busy and although the Official opening time in the evening is 7pm it actually opens at 6.30pm. The food however is cold both at breakfast and dinner.It appears to be brought out from the kitchen like that. Even the tea and coffee, which came from a machine is cold. This is not a minor issue and has been mentioned on this forum on quite a number of occasions. The food itself , although not of premium quality, is reasonable, but the Hotel is totally let down by its inability to keep the food warm. I saw a lot of good food going to waste. The management must be aware of this problem but seem unable, or unwilling, to invest in the proper buffet servers. The price of drink is very high and as a result the bar is almost empty and there is no atmosphere.
The Staff are all very pleasant and easy to get on with. We had a very laid back fortnight with wonderful weather, but will not be returning to this hotel purely because of the poor standard of the food. It is a shame because it has other assets like the bus stop right outside the Hotel. You have no problems geting on the bus because it is the third stop in Kolymbia. Further on into the resort Centre it gets very busy and it is standing room only.
Thomson/TUI did their best to ruin this Holiday and as a result I for one will never travel with them again. I have learned that on package holidays you do not buy the add ons or trips from the Tour Operator but buy them in the resort. Thomsons trips were on average double the price of what could be obtained in the resort. The same apples to the Car Hire which has a desk in the Hotel. I hope this experience is of some help.

Room Tip: Rm 301 was excellent with Air Con and nice view.
4 Thank mhay5109
Crawley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

We returned mid Sept. It was fine for the money paid, Rhodes itself has a lot of stunning areas to see so loved the exploring, we hired a car which helped get about. Not that keen on the hotel itself, good points were the brilliant maid service, rooms kept very clean everyday. We hated the restaurant, felt like a cattlemarket and dreaded evenings eating there, we were not allowed to sit near a window or where we wished to sit (felt like Germans had priority over the brits) but breakfast was an ok experience, evening meals were often cold as well. We had the room by the sewerage plant, not a good location for sure, it did stink really bad at times, made you reach, again wonder if the Brits get rooms in that area as not any Germans in any of the rooms near to us thats for sure, anyway make up your own mind. To sum up not bad for the money we paid and weather fantastic. Oh yes not much to do in Kolymbia itself, many bars/restaurants shut down because of all inclusive hotels being in the majority so thats a shame. The beach was also disappointing as a bit grubby looking, but we made the most of it all the same. This holiday was not all doom and gloom, Rhodes island is lovely, some good points about the hotel, ie very clean, and overall it was ok for the money we paid.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room not near the sewerage plant and a quiet room as entertainment sometimes...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles