“Disappointing (Poor Experience)”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Vietri sul Mare
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing (Poor Experience)”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were told we would have a "Sea View". Apparently there are two types of Sea Views. Exact words from the hotel. "We Have two Sea Views". One faces the open ocean the other faces a shipping yard.The pictures show that yard but don't show the table so you're given a false impression of what you're actually getting. You're also under the impression you will have WIFI. You will but I kid you not, the AOL dial up I had at one point is faster. Don't rely on this WIFI if you're planning on doing any type of business at all. If you're planning on going to the beach expect to be charged extra at the end of your stay. I was told this when I arrived. There is one more surprise. The hotel charged a "Traveler's Tax" which I was dumbfounded by. I presume they don't charge anyone else which is flat out discriminatory. No warning what so ever. I was informed of this upon check out. Lastly, when I asked for an explanation which I felt I was entitled too It was met with sheer ruddiness buy the gentleman serving me. I felt cheated and I would highly recommend avoiding this hotel. If I had known this prior to booking I would have never stayed here EVER! I was so excited to visit this area and let angered and upset. Considering how truly beautiful the area is the hotel atmosphere is depressing. It is standard hotel business to accommodate their guests, yet the front desk seemed irritated by having to do so. Whenever asked a question, they were frustrated by the fact that they had difficulty communicating in English. Given that this is a tourist location (we were being charged a "tourist tax" after all), I found this rather odd. If they are going to hire people that can only speak Italian, the least they can do is have patience when assisting non-Italian speakers. It's such a same to finally visit such a wonderful place and have it destroyed by such a terrible experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The location to the town is perfect. It is very convenient to the bus stops too.

The hotel is really very pretty and the view is quite wonderful. When we checked in, they told us our room would overlook the ship yard, which we heard was not the most pleasant location. We asked for a different room and none was available at that time, but they said they would notify us if one became available....which it did the next day. Unfortunately, we had to pay extra for the upgrade from the "standard" room.

We enjoyed having drinks on the outside area and enjoyed wonderful entertainment the first day we arrived...(Easter Monday). The reasonably priced bar provided nice snacks when you ordered drinks, and the view was beautiful. We had a very nice dinner on the night we arrived. Breakfast was good...and we enjoyed eating outside.

The tile and pottery in the hotel is very beautiful and overall, while a little dated, was very comfortable. Our disappointment was the noise level at the time we were there. Between the shipyard, and the construction on the beach, it was less than relaxing if you sat on your balcony. Also, the elevator was not working, due to all this construction, so we did not make it down to the water.

My mobile phone did not work in the room, but did in the rest of the hotel. The hotel staff is excellent and helpful; but I was disappointed about our room, and the extra cost....especially with the high noise level.

We booked with booking.com, so beware, that would will get the "standard" room, which is noisy if you are looking to get the best price.

Room Tip: Consider working directly with the hotel to insure the room you want, at the price you want to pay.
2 Thank Mag1228
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Hi Fiance and I stayed here during our road trip through Italy. I was a wonderful hotel in the pictures but the reality was very different. We were given a room what has to be the worst room in the hotel. It was on the bottom floor in a room that had a wall in front that blocked the view to the beach (view of the shipping dock is more like it). As soon as we walked in we were greeted with the smell of mold and toilet water. I had to sit on the balcony for the first couple of hours to keep from gagging. The balcony was so small that it was completely bare. The room next to us had a table and chair on their balcony. I felt very cheated that we were paying the same price for considerably less. We complained to the front desk who seemed genuine enough but they did the very minimal. The cleaning staff only sprayed a little air freshener. Upon checking out we found out that maintenance is doing construction on the room next to us. The place was clearly in the demolition phase. I am worried that this is what was causing the mold smell. In that case I worry that we may have been exposed to some hazardous materials. If you are reading this after you booked a hotel here, I would just say that if they give you room 514, demand another one immediately. I also recommend that you do not stay in this hotel before June of any year. The private beach is not open before then, even if the weather is nice. The private beach is also not so private. We walked down to the beach and found that it was super easy for anyone to just walk on the beach. When we got there it was filled with locals who completely dirtied the place. We had to watch our step to keep from stepping in trash. The breakfast wasn't great. It also wasn't the horrible.
If you are looking for a place in the area I would say, please choose another hotel.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel, but if you already have a reservation then skip room 514.
1 Thank Patricia B

Travellers are raving about these Vietri sul Mare hotels

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Vietri is lovely, and the whole area is so wonderful and well known you don't even have to mention it. Really, if you can do visit this part of Italy before you die...
The hotel is wonderful in many ways and so-so in some other ways.

First, the pluses. The hotel overlooks the sea and is very clear and in many ways wonderful, choke full of Vietri ceramics (floors, vases, walls etc). Nice terraces, nice corridors. Our room was overall spacious and nice, and everything worked. Service was always friendly and competent. Thanks to everyone at the hotel for this! We were there in low season (April) and prices were actually low. I think we paid < 100 euros or so per night. The hotel is just outside the little town of Vietri. This means less noise, while being close enough that you could walk to a restaurant in Vietri in literally 5 minutes from the hotel. Even if you don't have a car, there are bus stops nearby so you can either visit the area by bus or get the bus to Salerno (<10 minutes by car) and then take a boat to Amalfi, Positano, Capri etc.

Now for the negatives. The location is a mixed bag, rooms have sea views, but much of the view is on the commercial port of Salerno, so what you see is cars, containers and ships, not very romantic. This also means that noise can be VERY loud. When we were there workers would start drilling and sawing at 7AM, fine with us because we woke up early, but not so nice if you want to sleep. The shower was small, disproportionately small given the good size of the bathroom. The WC had a top-less water tank high up on the wall that spread water drops all around the bathroom when used. But perhaps the main reason why I am giving this place a 3 is breakfast, quite disappointing given the wonderful food that you can find in these areas. Coffee was terrible, pastries not very good. By Italian standard this was what you could expect from a 2-star hotel or below. Do yourself a favor and go to Vietri for a good breakfast, this place is insanely good for sweet stuff. If you are looking for a great restaurant try "34 di Lucia", really wonderful.

1 Thank Reviewer71
London
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Despite its 4 stars even the so called luxury rooms are small, tasteless decoration, a bathroom one would expect in a two star hotel. No robes or slippers, no luggage service, no business center/printing facility, wifi free yes, but connection does not work for 90% of the time. Its only pro, the private beach below, does not operate before June even if weather is hot and sunny.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Henriette P
Sicily, Italy
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I found this to be a very beautiful and comfortable hotel. However when the bathroom has no toiletries and the hairdrier automatically switches off after a couple of minutes due to overheating this is not acceptable. In addition no ironing is allowed in rooms and guests must pay a huge fee to have clothes ironed by someone else. I live in Italy and have travelled extensively in Italy and Sicily and have never had any problem using an iron from the Hotel!!!!

The restaurant, although rather expensive is very good and I cannot fault the food or service. However it is rare to be asked if you want coffee after a meal and I discovered this is available in the bar if required but only by talking to the excellent barman Stefano.

This hotel could be 5 star but a little less complacency is required by the owners, who might gain a lot from listening to staff with experience beyond this hotel! In general I would recommend it. I also agree with comments on noise between floors, I slept very badly on Christmas eve owing to noise from above and in the adjoining room.

Room Tip: Sea views are wonderful
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Julie P
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This hotel has the restaurant in the top floor above the bedrooms, so you never can rest in your room before midnight and after 6 am you will be wake up with the noise that comes from the restaurant with the employers arranging the tables and chairs.

They use no carpets and they promote the use of ceramics ground, which is terrible to propagate the noise across the floors. So you are always listening the women with their high heels and tables and chairs dragging on the floor.

In my last night, on Friday, it was 12:30 pm and there were still customers in the restaurant making a lot of noise and also the employers arranging the room. I had to go to the hotel’s reception to ask to stop that noise and just after they sent people away.

So, if you do not like to rest this is your perfect hotel. If you want to lay in your bed early you will be accompanied by the noise of the dinner and if you like to lay later you will be waked up by the noise of the breakfast.

Room Tip: It is not possible. You will have noise everywhere
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business