“Perfect stay in Vietri”
Review of Hotel Raito

Hotel Raito
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Vietri sul Mare
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The Raito hotel is a wonderful experience, without having to sell a kidney to afford. It's location offers unbeatable views of the sea, whereas the services are top notch.
The pool and the multitude of bars it offers complement the overall presentation, while the staff is as one would expect them to be: extremely professional.

You'd need a car to easily get to/from, however I believe a transfer service is available. Don't know for sure, as we rented one...

Room Tip: All rooms are great, with the usual premium for sea views. However, there's little point in spen...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The place is great and service seemed to be quite good until my check out. I have accidentally left my golden cross and chain (I have had them for over 20 years) hanging in the bathroom,\I have contacted the hotel several times, but they denied finding them.
Why I am reporting this? Because I have also deliberately left a hat (one of those you buy in a souvenir shop) in my room, just to not carry it to the airport. The hotel also denied finding it in the room. i.e. housekeeping has found those items and did not report.
This spoiled whole week of what seemed to be a nice vacation.

Room Tip: One should book a superior room at least. regular rooms are really small.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NikaBERIDZE
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The pro's 1. The staff are wonderful and very helpful even if they don't have to be.
2. The Breakfast was wonderful and even better having it in your room.
3. The pool area and spa are what they should be in a 5 star so you wont regret that part.
4. The views are amazing and just cant get any better.

The Con's 1. We stayed 3 nights and each day had to switch to a different room due to no Air Condition. The last room we just gave up as it was the last night and it seemed impossible to get what we wanted. We went from Seiren Deluxe with partial sea views to Seiren with full sea view then last to a Deluxe with garden and Terrace. All the rooms were nice except very hot.
2. second night the staff said hotel fully booked and could not move us but said we should keep the door open to our balcony as it would be cooler then keeping it closed. We did this and my partner woke up with huge bug bites all over his arm and neck and made him sick the rest of the trip as he was in a lot of pain.
3. The hotel needs repair as we visited this hotel less then a year ago for dinner and now the fountain in the lobby is broken and falling apart the A/C units need repairs just simple cosmetic details are going unnoticed. We can only assume they are either going bankrupt or the owner can't leverage the property's to get the loans to do the upkeep as the economy is going down the tubes. It's sad since this truly is an amazing place and good staff.

And we are not tight on money as I would have spent $1K a night to have a nice room with A/C. My mother and her friend booked a basic room facing the garden and there A/C worked just fine and the room was very nice so go figure.

I included a picture of the Garden terrace to let you see that its very overgrown and the chairs were almost falling apart. But then again the view was just stunning so I kinda just thought what the hell I'm seeing one of the most amazing views in the world.
Also just pay the 20 euro's to use the spa as its OK but the view is amazing and you can relax.
Also the Food as from a few pictures below was very good and priced well.

Room Tip: Book a basic room facing the garden as the Air Condition works in those rooms. The front desk at che...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher G
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed in the Serene Deluxe Partial Ocean view room a few weeks ago and the room was impecably clean. The toiletries were amazing and the view was great! the balcony was spacious and enough room to just sit around and lounge there if we wanted to. I would highly suggest a Serene room as the rooms are more updated than the rest. The breakfast in the morning was one of the best we've had in our whole trip. Fresh pastries, your choice of egg, coffees, juices, breads, and cold cuts. The breakfast area overlooking the ocean is so breathtaking we wanted to just sit there all day. My one complaint about the hotel was the shuttle that takes you into Vietri. We nearly missed our bus one day because the shuttle was so late in taking us despite us ordering a shuttle 35 minutes before. And same scenario the next day. We also got picked up 40 minutes after we called for a pickup from Vietri town square and it was raining and freezing that night so that was a bit annoying...Otherwise it was a great hotel in Vietri with amazing views and friendly nice staff. There isnt much to do in Vietri but if you want to take the SITA bus to other towns or just relax in a fabolous hotel, this is it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SK K
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Great service. Everyone was really nice and accommodating. The bathroom was a little bit small, but I don't think you can find a better hotel in Vietri Sul Mare. The location is a bit far from downtown, but they ave a shuttle that's very useful!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Raito for honeymoon in June. Although it was just one night in which we took part in the South Italy tour of a travel agency, it was really impressive and excellent one.
1.It's located the Amalfi coast of world heritage. That view is the highlight. The moonlight reflected in the water surface was so spectacular.
2.I and my bride was very praising the risotto of squid at supper. Mozzarella cheese was especially impressive although all breakfast was delicious. The taste was out of this world.
3.Waiters are wonderful. They were always quick and friendly.
If we go to Italy again, we will absolutely stay at the Hotel Raito.

ホテルライートは、新婚旅行で利用しました。とある旅行社の南イタリアを中心としたツアーに参加した中での一泊だったのですが、とても印象的で素晴らしいの一言でした。
1.世界遺産のアマルフィ海岸沿いにあり圧巻の眺望。水面に映る月明かりは言葉を失うほど美しかったです。
2.夕食で出たイカのリゾットは嫁も大絶賛。また朝食も全て美味しかったですが、特に印象的だったのはモッツァレラチーズ。今まで食べてきたモッツァレラチーズは何だったんだろうと思わせるくらい絶品でした。
3.ウェイターさんが素晴らしい。こちらの要望に対して常に素早く、親切に対応してくれました。
次にイタリアに行くときも、絶対にホテルライートに泊まります。

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank MasaHero0309
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I would like to note that this is an updated edited review at the request of TripAdvisor. I do not agree 100% that my original review was offensive as I feel that the ambience and people of a given area are fair game to paint an accurate picture of a stay in any given location but apparently TripAdvisor prefers I do not get into too much detail with regard to these two factors. I will hope to paint an accurate and fair picture whilst staying within TripAdvisor's rules. Hereafter is my revised review:

I had the misfortune of living in Raito. I am a seasoned traveller and an established travel writer who adds my two pence now and again on TripAdvisor. I tend to be very stringent with my reviews having lived in hotels for months at a time in the course of my work. From March until September of this past year I lived in Raito, theregore, I would have given the hotel one star but in relation to the "village", this is relative luxury.

My general feeling of the Amalfi Coast is one of love/hate. I find Praiano, Positano, Amalfi and even Sorrento (not exactly the coast) all very worthwhile places to visit but none are really worth a stay due to the pricing that is a result of a "feast or famine" mentality pervasive throughout the Amalfi Coast where the season brings hoards of travellers and extortionist pricing and the winters are long and arduous with only villagers remaining.

If I were to want a "beach holiday" in the region I would go to an affordable and nice hotel like HOTEL OLIMPICO, which is in the Salerno region and offers good transport for day tripping while allowing you to stay in a beautiful self-contained "resort". I find the rates for the Amalfi Coast to be too high in relation to the actual offer; bar novelty factor and your budget. Certainly there is a class of people that enjoy renting luxury villas or going to luxury resorts, mainly in Positano and Praiano, but all over the Amalfi Coast, but this is a true minority.

I would go back to Sorrento and stay in Sorrento proper but again day trip it to any of the more expensive and, in my opinion, far overrated Amalfi Coast towns. This is a big turn around for someone who grew up holidaying on the Amalfi Coast and dreamed of one day living there; a dream that was fulfilled but very disappointing.

Unfortunately part of my stay at the Hotel Raito has to do with some of the disappointment in as much as I went back to gather witness details for a lawsuit I am engaged in with regard to a home I rented in Raito. I am not going to get into detail but to say this is endemic for those renting homes on the Amalfi Coast; especially the less populated villages and I advise anyone who chooses to rent to consult an Italian friend or do not rent--stay in a hotel.

I am going to go further out on a limb as I feel it is germane to the review and state that if you speak Italian you will hear enough to understand that the people of Raito are rather close-minded and should certainly be more appreciative of the tourism they do get, considering there is not even a restaurant up there and a car is needed to descend to the main village; VIETRI SUL MARE of which Raito is called "frazionale" (FRACTION). It is imperative that you are aware that if you do come with a car there is a good chance your car will be vandalised for parking in the "wrong" area. The police will not do much to help you either as this is an act they are aware of and more I will not say but you can read between the lines.

Arguably Vietri sul Mare is also not really worth more than a day trip neither but the Marina is ok in the summer and I have some very good friends there with lovely restaurants, like Pascalo's for which I have written a separate review. You can find some very kind people there as well but you do have to look a bit harder than most places.

Raito is like something out of a Stephen King novel; scary and yet intriguing. If you are unable to speak Italian I would assume that from the outside people would seem friendly, happy and welcoming but if you heard their words you would likely be shocked. I am again going out on a limb but do feel this is relevant to any stay in this very small village. As with most villages in any country, especially very small and less affluent areas, the people tend to like to gossip and tourists are fair game. It is more or less like a microcosm of any small environment wherein people smile to your face but by and large talk behind your back and each others' backs.

Part of me wants to feel bad for these people but the other part of me, the seasoned traveller who has seen most of the Amalfi Coast and believed Vietri sul Mare and Raito would be much like Sorrento/Praiano/Positano/Amalfi and others, was horrified to get an insider's view and have thus questioned my own experiences all over the Amalfi Coast; especially since discovering far nicer beaches in Sicily, Sardinia and EVEN ROME.

I could never, with a good conscience, recommend anyone stay in Raito or Vietri sul Mare, which is sad because I do have some friends in Vietri sul Mare itself but it just is NOT a tourist destination at all. It is a small day trip. The hotel is nice enough and there is a shuttle but I came with my car as I know without it relying on a shuttle is a nightmare and also you are quite literally trapped up a mountainside with little to do and a very long walk if you want to descend into the main "village".

My advice--STAY AWAY FROM VIETRI SUL MARE AND RAITO. Go for a day to Vietri and the Marina perhaps in the summer if you are close by but by all means stay away from Raito unless you literally want to be indoors and just simply enjoy the company of a partner and take a shuttle down for meals. I will concede as well that if you are a 'I LOVE THE VIEW' type of traveller you may want to make your way up the mountain to see the view. Otherwise there is nothing in Raito worth seeing and certainly nothing worth spending your money for which to stay there.

Sadly, the hotel itself is not half bad at all and is just cursed with a location that I do not believe would appeal to the vast majority of travellers.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
13  Thank Lex59
StaffRagostaHotels, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Raito, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Dear Guest,
We shall be honest in behalf of this review, we firstly belived that whatever you have decided to write did not deserve a kind reply, but because it's in our custom and good manners being very polite, we thank you for your personal opinion and in the end we understood that it was very necessary a short and effective answer.
Of course we clearly do not agree on what you have personally expressed, Raito's village is a lovely place, with adorable people who believe in their country's old traditions, family's values and in the beauty of his land; in one word: absolutely unique people. I shall not referr to the professional people only who day after day work in our hotel, because it could be granted but to those thousand of people/ citizien who live in Raito or Vietri sul Mare. This people is very polite and respectful and hard workers. Theydo love their land, and do put the best effort to make a tourist feel welcome. We will not longer carry on this offensive matter, but please before judging an other country along with a different culture, try to judge your own little green garden. Best Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vietri sul Mare
Lloyd's Baia Hotel
#4 of 7 in Vietri sul Mare
Hotel Novotel Salerno Est Arechi
Ravello Art Hotel Marmorata, BW Premier Collection

Been to Hotel Raito? Share your experiences!