“Heaven on Lake Como - The best place we have stayed”

Grand Hotel Tremezzo
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Tremezzina
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Heaven on Lake Como - The best place we have stayed”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Everything about this hotel was perfect! We adored every minute of our weekend that we spent in this hotel. The breakfasts were amazing and the view from the breakfast terrace was divine. The staff were incredible and so helpful. They suggested we spend the morning exploring the 'Greenway walk' which was fantastic and then we spent the afternoon relaxing in the spa facilities. The gardens were beautiful and the lounge and bar areas were gorgeous too. Location was perfect next to Villa Carlotta, which was also a ferry stop, and opposite the town of Bellagio.

Having traveled extensively in Australia, Europe, Asia and USA, this is the best place we have ever stayed.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a lake view room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Colleen J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Have just returned from 3 nights at The Grand Hotel Tremezzo. Sure, it is very expensive. But in my opinion it warranted every penny. The staff are attentive, warm and friendly, with an attention to detail which was quite incredible. Because it was Easter, we had an easter egg waiting for us in our room and had free prosecco, which was a lovely gift from the hotel to their guests. The hotel occupies a fantastic position on the lake, with breakfast (an incredible selection and all of wonderful quality) served with a panoramic view. The room was comfortable, with a very large bed and exquisite marble bathroom. Rooms cleaned seemingly twice a day! Sweets and water left for us each night! Indoor swimming pool/outdoor jacuzzi was beyond belief and the hotel's grounds were incredibly beautiful. We ate in both the restaurants and yes, expensive, but again in my opinion worth the money. I cannot say enough in favour of this hotel. Every detail was attended to and it was the closest thing to perfection I have ever experienced! Totally magnificent, cannot recommend highly enough. As a special treat, for sheer luxury and total enjoyment, do stay here!
As an aside, do visit Villa Carlotta (2 mins walk from the hotel) and Villa Balbianello (5 mins on the ferry). Both exquisite and really beyond description!

Room Tip: My room was 2 floors up, facing the lake, and i was very happy with it!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank indy88London
London
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I took my wife here in April 2014 for 3 nights for a 40th birthday celebration. One of the most, if not the most luxurious hotels I've had the pleasure of paying for!! I booked a Junior Roof Top suite to ensure maximum impact on her day, and we were not disappointed! The weather was beautiful, and the view from the 5th floor overlooking Lake Como was breathtaking - not a cloud in the sky...observed from the warmth of our personal balcony Jacuzzi...the hotel had chilled a bottle of Prosecco on our arrival, some fresh fruits and chocolate, and this ensured we kickoff the break in true style! The historic building was complemented with a touch of modernity with a beautifully styled and appointed rooms, ours came with a butler service..he was responsive but not intrusive - Alberto was excellent!
The hotel has a wonderful kitchen which should/could have the much coveted if not overrated Michelin star recognition. The sommelier was made the dinner an informative experience but again not intrusive.
We also had a couple of treatments in the T-Spa and enjoyed cocktails at the hotel bar - they organized our S-class transfers from the airport and all our excursions to Bellagio and around the lake...I could go on and on...but, I'm certain I couldn't do it justice...April is a spectacular time to visit anywhere in Italy - avoid the crowds, enjoy the warm days and cool evenings but like all places, there is a low risk of rain...we saw none and came back relaxed, slightly sun tanned and satisfied that our money was well spent...the staff were absolutely wonderful and treated everyone without any preconceptions or pretention. This is one of three Grand Hotels on the Lake, and it is by far the best positioned with at the added benefit of stunning, landscaped gardens and additional pools for the busy peak season.

Room Tip: Penthouse rooms are clearly the best, but Lake view are equally impressive...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stopped over in this hotel for 1 night last spring as we were traveling around the lakes area. I wasn't planning to write any reviews from that trip but i feel i don't do the hotel justice if I don't. The grand hotel Tremezzo is beautiful, staff was very charming and efficient. The room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was plentiful and what a great setting! The garden at back of the hotel was lovely. Valet parking was good and convenient. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Snowflake_Fairy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Beautiful Italian hotel, situated by the best part of the lake. Everything about our stay was five star and the staff were lovely, very attentive & friendly. A must to book a lake view room, the views are breathtaking!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 180Claire
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We chose the hotel purely because my partner was recovering from a leg operation and we wanted somewhere we could go for a bit of pampering and not have to leave the hotel and gee we got it.

The hotel had organised a car to pick us up from the airport and the drive round the lake was beautiful we had been to Italy many times but never to the lakes. When we pulled up to the hotel the car door was opened and we were welcomed with such warmth all the hotel porters were so well dressed we were shown to an elevator clad in gold an mirrors that sent us up 2 floors to the main entrance hall when the doors opened I felt as if I had been transported to an episode of Poirot (minus the murders) the entrance hall with is red walls, cornicing, chandeliers, gilded furniture and beautiful drapes took my breath away.

The Lady who checked us in was just lovely and showed us around the hotel and then took us to our room up the grand staircase with the double doors to the rear gardens our room was on the first floor we had asked for a corner room and it was everything I thought it would be. Large French doors looking out on the lake and the other looking down the lake the room was totally over the top! (I loved it) lots of beautiful fabric, Louis the 14th style furniture, gilded mirrors, beautiful paintings and the bathroom was just a sea of green marble again with French doors looking down the lake (we called it the loo with a view) but still it had all the modern convenience you would expect from a 5* hotel. I had read reviews on here about the rooms being noisy form the road and had creaky floor boards, And yes our room had creaky floor boards but it just endeared the place to me even more I mean it’s been operating as a hotel for nearly 120 yrs so I would expect them to creak. But as for road noise we never heard a thing and u have to remember the road is right out front of the hotel but all we heard at night was the sound of the water lapping on the shore it was fab.

We had the choice of spending our days out on the floating pool with the outside resturant but we chose the pool in the gardens it was closer to our room and found it nice and quiet with an amazing view of the lake and the mountains. The staff were great putting our towels out for us and bringing us everything nearly before we had even ordered it all very smiley and happy very charming.

As per usual on these trips the bar with its beautiful raised terrace was my favourite place to sit and its where we spent most of our evenings (as I said we couldn’t go out because of hoppy and his leg op so I was forced to spend my evenings on the terrace complete torture……not!) the waiting staff were amazing so friendly and helpful the cocktail list was long and we painstakingly worked our way through it. All the staff were dressed in white tail suites with gold buttons was like something form a film so we did our best to keep up the British side and dressed up for dinner every night lol.

The terrace restaurant was great the maître d Rodolfo was excellent making us feel so welcome he went out of his way to make every evening great the food was excellent and once again with the beautiful view to look out on what’s not to like. The restaurant also has possibly the biggest wine list I have ever seen I mean it was the size of a broad sheet newspaper with just as many pages. We ate here a couple of times both excellent. Try the lamb! We also ate in the new restaurant down stairs more rustic and low key but so much fun once again the staff were lovely cracking jokes and recommending food and wine it’s a must to book a table there it’s not open every night and its small so do book on arrival as I know a couple of people lost out.

One day we hired the hotels Boat an old 60s Venetians Launcher it took us on a tour of the lake the gent that drives it was really funny and although his English was a bit rough we understood all he was telling us. I would definitely recommend doing this.

The only small shock we got was the bill we were only there for 5 days but the with the price of the bill we could of bought a brand new family car lol but no regrets we felt like royalty for a few days. The hotel is beautiful in its own right and views are just mind blowing. We are going to return but maybe next time we will wait for a big anniversary (or a wedding hint hint) as if we were to visit every year we may have to re mortgage the house lol.

So to Sum it up go enjoy, feel totally special and take lots of costume changes.

Room Tip: go for a corner room with lake view its worth the extra money, also hire the boat for a private tou...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank LOVES_A_HOLIDAY_85
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I am writing this review a few months after our return as I've only just joined TripAdvisor!
I had always wanted to visit Lake Como, having heard rapturous descriptions of its beauty. We booked Grand Hotel Tremezzo as my son equates holidays with swimming pools!
Whatever our reasons for booking might have been, the hotel did not disappoint!
The property is beautiful, and perfectly located. None of us even felt the inclination to leave the property...just had a perfect, lazy summer break. The ferry stop is right opposite the property, Villa Carlotta is next door and Villa del Balbianello is nearby. Bellagio is a short hop away by ferry. The staff are courteous and helpful. The restaurants are very pleasing to the eye. Our favourite was the pizza by the poolside, pity that they stop serving towards evening!
My only squabble was that we had requested a room with 2 twin beds, but got a king bed and a foldaway cot for my son. The hotel did apologise for this, as they were full and had not received our request from the travel company.
The toiletries could be better quality as we were not particularly impressed by them. I would expect more from a hotel of this standard.
On the whole, we would definitely stay here again. My recommendation to anyone looking to book here would be to enjoy the hotel and its surroundings.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Metanoia108
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremezzina
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni
#1 of 8 in Tremezzina
Grand Hotel Imperiale
Grand Hotel Imperiale
#1 of 2 in Moltrasio

Been to Grand Hotel Tremezzo? Share your experiences!