“Good potential but bad service”

Hotel Bazzoni et du Lac
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Tremezzina
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Writing a review for this hotel is a bit tricky because there were some really good things and then there were some things that were not so good. Normally, I would have giving this 3 stars but with a good experience, it would have been a 4. But the experience that we had makes me give it a 2. Therefore, I am going to outline the pros and cons that we experienced during our stay at Bazzoni.
Pros:
1. The location of the hotel is wonderful. It is right along the lake front and offers some amazing views. The boat transportation has stops right in front of the hotel. Our room was nice and spacious and we had a wonderful private terrace that again offered excellent views from the comfort of our room. It was clean as well.
2. The breakfast buffet. The buffet has a lot of options and it is wonderful to not have to go out and get your breakfast.
3. The pool and lounging areas. The pool is behind the hotel and it was nice. Also there are some other terraces where you can sit and enjoy the lake.
4. Price – Compared to many other places around the lake, this place is very reasonable.
CONS:
1. The staff. My wife and I both felt that the daytime receptionist was rude and made little to no effort to make you feel welcome. She also answered all questions as briskly as possible, with a hint of irritation that you would even dare ask her a question. Additionally, while we were there, our air conditioning stopped working. The display panel was blinking at us in the room and telling us that there was an error so I was certain that the air conditioner was broken and needed to be serviced…. Not to mention it was getting hotter, and hotter, and hotter in the room. So I went down and told the receptionist that they air was broken and before I could even finish what I was saying, she cut me off and said, “the ac doesn’t work during dinner time.” Now even though I knew the ac was not working way before dinner, I couldn’t be certain that it wouldn’t come on again after dinner so I just said ok and left. Not to mention, what was I supposed to say…”no you’re lying to me”? So of course we got home after dinner, the ac was still not working. So I went back down to the reception, but there was someone different there. I told them that the ac was not working and needed to be looked at. He simply looked at me and said, “I’m sorry but there is nothing that I can do about that because there repair man is gone.” So, I understand that sometimes situations like this happen. Normally I am usually the most patient and forgiving person but the receptionist had already rubbed me the wrong way. Also, I know that the guy at the desk probably cant fix the ac any better than I can, but I don’t understand how the staff can be so unresponsive to paying customers. If you cant fix the ac, what else can you do? Could you offer me another room, a fan, a discount, a free coke…. I don’t know, show me that you at least give a dam that we are not getting what we paid for. But he did nothing, so I walked off. Then three hours passed and neither my wife nor I could sleep because it was probably close to 85 degrees in our room (we were both laying on the bed with wet towels all over us to try to cool us down). I went down to talk to the guy again. This time he was more helpful and offered us a fan… why he didn’t do this before I am not sure but at least with a fan we were able to sleep. The next morning was the morning that we were checking out. I wanted to call attention to the fact that the ac was broken and that it had been for 2 days and that I was upset with the experience that we had had. Well, the morning receptionist was back, and guess what…. She completely ignored everything that I said about the ac… literally, she just didn’t even acknowledge what I said and then made me pay the tax and that was that. TERRIBLE SERVICE.
2. The hotel was extremely loud. We were on the 1st floor but you could hear every footstep above you, every conversation in the rooms near you and every person that talked as they walked past the hotel on the street. Now this was extremely annoying and I think for some people would be something that could completely ruin your stay. Lets just say that when the people above you come in at 2 in the morning, it will wake you up unless you are in a coma…
3. They don’t offer free wifi and the paid wifi is only available in the lobby, for some reason this bothers me but for others it probably isn’t a big deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel M

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We read some bad reports but really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel. We had a Balcony room on the 7th floor which was quiet at night, no road noise. Food was very good, Fish and Pasta dishes at night were especially good. Very close to Ferry and Bus service. Great base to tour Lake Como from.

Room Tip: Go for the 7th floor rooms with Balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Black-Dog-123
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The Bazzoni has a great view of the lake from the Restaurant and the Restaurant and other hotel staff were friendly. The restaurant food is delicious, especially the pasta and desserts. The vegetables are served cold which I wasn't too keen on but good choice of salads and other dishes and also a good choice at breakfast.
I liked the bar and outdoor seating area and had a good time at the karoke night.There isn't a lot of other entertainment at the hotel but went to watch a band in the park a few minutes away on two other nights.
The bedroom was small but very clean with a good air conditioning unit and shower which worked well, although a bit small.
There aren't many sunloungers around the pool and the pool is very small and you can't buy a drink near the pool.The scenary is that good and there is a lot to do so you don't want to spend too much time around the pool. Had some great days out in Milan, Switzerland and bergamo and loved my stay in Lake Como.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Jane L
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Having read the reviews about the noise from the road we were pleased to find that not only had double glazing been installed but also airconditioning. Ideally siuated opposite the ferry stop and the road train stop with a fifteen minute walk to the car ferry stop at Cardonarbra for late night returns from Bellagio. The room was a good size but lacking any drawer storage. The mini fridge in one of the wardrobes was useful for keeping water and fruit cool but did heat up the clothes. Breakfast was buffet style and dominated by German tourists who all had reserved tables. The outdoor eating area was very good. The "swimming pool" was totally inadequate for a hotel of this size and the gym was used as storage for loads of fans, not needed after the aircondtioning was installed.

Room Tip: Go for a premium room on the third floor as they appeared to have a large balcony area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Les B
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Like some previous reviews we were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed our stay here. This is a 3 star Italian hotel and should be reviewed as such, having said that there was little that could realistically be improved. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful, the food in the dining room was well cooked, well presented and always a good choice. The first room we were allocated was very small but when we asked if there was an alternative another was offered which was fine. The rooms are very traditional but everything you need is there and the bathroom looked like it had been refurbished, it was all cleaned well everyday. The swimming pool area has also recenty been tidied and although small we always had a sunbed. Comment has been made about the road in front of the hotel, this is the main lake road and many hotels in this area that are on the lake side are also affected, we did not find it a problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Warks
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed one night here on our wedding anniversary. The room was quite small but very clean. The bathroom was roomy. Decided to eat our evening meal at the hotel. The food was good and they gave us a 20% discount. Nit sure why the vegetables were served cold! Overall, it was a very pleasant stay in an idyllic location.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Caroline U
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Having just spent 7 days at this hotel July 15th 2013 I must admit I was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews! It was far nicer than expected. The hotel is typical of many traditional Italian Hotels - oldy worldy but very clean and tidy. Food is good and service is also good. Pool and Jacuzzi were both adequate with always plenty of room to relax.
Both bus and ferry service was right out side the door, with 4 really good restraunts just down the road
The only two areas I feel which are not brilliant are the shower - the cubicle is extremely small - We are not large - about average I would say and on more than one occasion we managed to knock one of the doors off it's hinges - for anyone over about 15 stone I don't think they could even get through the doors!!!!
Secondly the lifts!!! We seemed to be waiting ages for the 'very small' lift which certainly needs updating - you get in facing one way and get out facing another way - it is supposed to hold up to 6 people - very very doubtful!!!
Otherwise it was a very enjoyable holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors as the views are spectacu;ar
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank eJanej
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremezzina
Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior
#1 of 8 in Tremezzina
Lario Hotel
Lario Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mezzegra

Been to Hotel Bazzoni et du Lac? Share your experiences!