Hotel La Darsena
Lario Hotel(Mezzegra)
  • Pool
Hotel La Perla(Tremezzina)
View Hotel
Grand Hotel Cadenabbia(Cadenabbia di Griante)
  • Breakfast included
Villa La Mirabella(Cadenabbia di Griante)
View Hotel
Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior(Cadenabbia di Griante)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsattic roomlake comovilla carlottahomemade jamsboutique hotelferry stopdouble balconyroad sidebalcony overlooking the lakethree nightsthe hotel's restaurantshort walklakeside roomfamily run hotelthe location is perfectgorgeous viewsrooms are large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2010

During a quick vacation trip to the Lake District in Lombardy, I had one night to stay on the Lago di Como, which I had not visited previously. After reading about the lake and reviewing lots of choices, I thought Tremezzo sounded intriguing, and then found the Hotel La Darsena. I would highly recommend both choices to others. Tremezzo is more relaxed than some of the other towns I visited as I toured around the lake, and, very beatiful, as well. The Villa Carlotta is worth a visit. Despite the July heat, I loved strolling by the lakeside, which has shaded and open areas, and, as you do, the Hotel La Darsena will be on your path, as it sits literally on the edge of the lake on the southern edge of the town. Most of the hotels I saw are on the other side of the coastal road, so, even if you have a lakeside view, you overlook the relatively constant flow of cars and trucks first. At La Darsena, my lakeside room had a small balcony that opened directly onto the beautiful water view. On the floor below is the restaurant, at which you can dine literally perched on top of the lake. The food, from dinner to breakfast, was excellent. Everyone I met on the staff was incredibly friendly and treated me as a long-lost friend, as opposed to a newly-introduced stranger.
When I mentioned to an acquaintance where I would be staying the day before my arrival at La Darsena, they warned me that it would be very noisy due to the traffic on the coast road. Honestly, I never heard it, either in my room or in the restaurant. Perhaps if you had a room overlooking the street it would be an issue - so you might want to take that into consideration. The hotel was completely redone in the last decade, and they installed new windows and it seemed quite soundproofed, even in the lobby, which opens to the road. The room itself was somewhat spartan, but still quite comfortable. After returning, I was telling a friend, who has travelled extensively in Italy, about my trip. Heartily approving my choice of Tremezzo, he asked me where I had stayed. When I said "La Darsena," he exclaimed - "best food in town!" I certainly enjoyed it !

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2010

This is a real find, the staff were very hospitable, the rooms were stunning, recommend a room with a lake view, no other hotel in the region like it. Also one of the best meals I've had. I will visit again!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2010

From the moment I read the other reviews I hoped that this would be good. I even looked at the location on Google Streetview and I was not disappointed. We ate dinner and breakfast on the balcony overlooking the lake and it was stunning, service was first class and the location was just fantastic. I would like to say bad things so that no-one books it in the future when I want to go back; but I cannot. The only thing I would say about that area of Lake Como is don't expect to have much to do in the evenings if you like to look around the shops perhaps. If sitting on your balcony with your partner and a glass of something with the sun setting over the most romantic lake in italy is your thing; Go here.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johng39benfleet
Reviewed 18 July 2010

When we were looking for a hotel for our honeymoon we wanted the sort of place you would want to return to for future anniversaries to come. What we got was this and much much more. Professionally run, the owners make you feel like family and are always on hand to make sure you feel special and pampered with fantastic rooms, great food and wine and the special touches that you just don't get from major hotel chains any more. What is worth mentioning is that a lot of the hotels with lakeside views are actually the other side of the road from the lake. This is not the case with La Dersena. Leave your balcony doors open and listen to the water below you. This is Lake Como at its best. We will definately be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We greatly enjoyed our stay in this well run and friendly hotel. The management is there, hands-on and attentive, backed up by a friendly and well-trained staff. Our room was pleasant and had the benefit of two balconies, though the larger one suffered from traffic noise. The room and the bathroom were spacious, and spotlessly clean. There is a pleasant small terrace to one side of the hotel, running down to the Lake, byut alas no bar or sitting room for wet days. Breakfasts were good with a wide choice. Service was superb. We ate mostly in the very pretty restaurant with its amazing views and outside terrace, excellent food from an interesting menu, and a great wine list (though we stuck to half bottles).

The location is excellent, with the lake on one side and the road on the other, within a few minutes walk of the ferry station, and also the tourist office which offers internet access – and a book exchange in case you run out of reading matter.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple