“Great, friendly small hotel”
Review of Hotel Rusall

Hotel Rusall
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Tremezzina
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great, friendly small hotel”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Russal this weekend on a cycling weekend. It was perfect for what I needed. The room was nice and clean, with dark shades. The view from the room and the garden terrace downstairs was fantastic. The price for that view is that the hotel is up a steep hill from Tremezzo, but for me it was worth it.

Everyone was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was fine, and my one dinner there was very good.

Highly recommended for the price!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Luxembourg
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Touring Lago di Como in August, and on top of that being a single traveler, is not a minor business... After spending a night in the car I "knocked" on Rusall's door and got a good double room to the back of the house (later I was grateful for this, as I did perhaps miss the view over the lake, but also the chatter and clatter from the garden, where one loves to sit after dinner or for breakfast..) at a fair enough rate.

I was allowed to have breakfast on the terrace, waiting for my room to get ready... and I felt I found my place. The house was quite full and busy, yet nothing to complain about the service.
Breakfast: For Italian standard quite fine, found always something to my needs and taste
Rooms: Double Room big enough for me, wardrobe would have been small for 2 ppl. TV high up an wall, which is tiresome and no fun if one wants to watch..
Bath room spacious with enough towels
Room walls poorly soundproofed, which did not bother me much, as I had earplugs along.
Restaurant: the menu is always tooo much for me, the odd time I could have antipasto from the buffet and a pasta afterwards. Once you got your evening table you were stuck with it for your stay. Kindly the owner changed mine, cause I disliked to look at a wall being on my own, I appreciated that very much.
Salon bar: There is a spacious lounge with television flat screen.
There was free and safe parking within the Hotel premises and the gates are closed during the night I believe. I had to park on the roadside one day and.... was quite safe there.
During my stay there was never loud and late partying... by midnight everybody had gone to the their rooms, and the place is far from the hustle and bustle of the crows anyway...
I could not part and extended my stay as long as I could, asking each day if I could extend another day... until I hat to leave for home.
Will stay there again, if in the area Cernobbio, Menaggio aso.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Flitzmaus
Germany
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We actually did not stay at this hotel but found it on our first night looking for someplace to go for dinner. After hiking the steep hill we were early, but the manager invited us in for an apperatifo with olives and chips to pass the time. Dinner was lovely, the view, the service, the taste out of this world. We were made very welcome and enjoyed the evening very much.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellingmomde
salt lake city
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We actually were not able to stay because the Hotel was sold out. However we did get to spend a very nice evening there on the patio and lawn overlooking the lake and mountains. We had drinks and snacks on the patio, and even though the hotel had a very large group in the hotel, they were very accommodating to us, and encouraged us to stay for dinner. The sage and butter ravioli was the best I ever had, and I love the way they serve the pasta course to you table side. Very cool. I will say my wife and I agreed that the dining room was a little sterile and quite loud with the large group. The main course of fish was tasty, but unforgettable. The dessert of chocolate fig tort was not great. We had such a great evening and even though it was spendy, we thought it was well worth it. We wanted to stay but our plans took us out of the area before they had space. We will go back there again if ever in Tremezzo.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Honestly, this place is splendid, and I don't know much of the Lake area, but the view there is amazing. I attach a picture taken from the balcony of my room...
However, the food isn't the best, I would recommand eating out, and our only regret was that they didn't allow (???) us to have breakfast on the terasse... we actually chose this hotel to..... have breakfast on the terasse. (which is splendid by the way). So... little frustration here... but overhall.... very nice hotel, and in the end very nice local people, very helpful. Room are tiny, but you are in Como to wander around the lake anyway, at least, we were.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We stayed here for the 3rd time this year in Sept2010. It is a very nice family run hotel with great personal service.
The food is lovely and the best aspect is having breakfast or a drink overlooking the lake.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Cannes
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed at Hotel Rusall for 6 nights and we loved it. The hotel is situated on top of a hill with amazing views. Make sure to print the directions to the hotel before going as the hotel is situated in a residential area on top of a hill through a windy road.

When we arrived we were greeted by Franco who spoke Italian, French, German and some English. He knew exactly who we were the minute we stepped in the front door, welcomed us to the hotel and showed us to our lake view room. The room was really clean, the bed was very comfortable (two single beds pushed together to make a queen sized bed which is typical in Europe), and the bathroom was a decent size with shower. The best part was the balcony which provided the gorgeous views of the lake and a nice flower box for that extra added touch. The staff was wonderful and Franco always checked to see if you were enjoying your stay. It felt like we were staying at Franco's house and the hotel definitely had more of a bed and breakfast feel to it than a hotel.
There was plenty of parking in front of the hotel but on a few occasions when we returned late, the parking would be full (many locals dine at the restaurant) and we had to park on the street. This wasn't a problem at all; you just have to be comfortable with parking on narrow streets and small spaces.

The breakfast each morning was wonderful. Fresh bread and buns, tarts, jam, yoghurt, cereal, cold cuts, cheese, a great selection of fresh fruit, juice, delicious coffee made to order and the staff would see if you wanted eggs. The hotel also served lunch and dinner and we ate dinner at the hotel 3 of the 6 nights we were there. The food at the hotel was fantastic and very reasonably priced. We ordered the set menu twice and à la carte once. The service was great, the food was delicious and they have an amazing salad bar. Do try their pasta dishes (especially gnocchi with sage and butter, lasagna, spaghetti pomodoro), fresh fish, prime rib and tiramisu (best we’ve ever had)…you won’t be disappointed. As I mentioned, many locals have dinner at the restaurant too. We even had a conversation with a Chef in Varenna who loves eating at Hotel Rusall.

Getting around the lake was easy. We would drive down from the hotel and park our car to catch the ferries. There was free and paid parking but make sure to check the signs. We even drove to some of the villages around the lake and found parking wasn't that difficult. Another option is walking. The hotel is on top of a hill and it would be quite the workout but not impossible as long as you're good with hiking up steep hills and have comfortable shoes.

We can’t wait to stay at Hotel Rusall again and we’d even consider half-board next time, their food was that good!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremezzina
Hotel La Darsena
#4 of 5 in Cadenabbia di Griante
Hotel Bazzoni et du Lac
Hotel Bazzoni et du Lac
#8 of 8 in Tremezzina

Been to Hotel Rusall? Share your experiences!