We booked a long weekend through Hotelsbooked.com via groupon, to this hotel. Although after paying, we then found several bad reviews about this company. Obviously we became skeptical and contacted the hotel who confirmed our booking. Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted with some spectacular views of lake Como. Check in was quick and one of the receptionists spoke very good English. We took our bags up to our room, which we found to be very spacious and clean, even for a budget room. The hotel has a free hotspot area and even an iPad connected to the internet for everyone to use when it was available, which seemed to be quite often. We went all inclusive, which means free food and local drinks. The range of drinks on offer at the hotel seemed quite generous. The food was standard 3 star buffet food for all meals. Suitable for most. However they do not label their dishes, so it is guess work most of the time. There is a menu at the front of the restaurant but we found this didn't always match with what food was actually laid out. We soon realised that the food was quite repetitive and didn't really have an italian feel to it. There was not much variety but for the price, you can't really complain. We just went out one evening to an Italian restaurant to get a bit more choice and this made up for it. The hotel has access to a swimming pool about 100 metres down the road. The pool is an adequate size and sits nicely in front of Lake Como with picturesque views. However, this is a public pool and not just for hotel guests, so if you don't get there early it is difficult to get sun loungers by the pool. Unfortunately the hotel do not provide you with beach towels, so you have to rent these for 5 euros each, if you do not take your own. The pool also makes you wear a swimming hat for some reason, which you have to buy for 3 euros. There is also an outdoor terrace at the pool. For those going all inclusive at the hotel, you get free soft drinks, local beer, local red and white wine at the pool but no spirits and you are only allowed these up until 9pm. However, the hotel itself has an outdoor terrace which overlooks the lake. The only bad thing is that the bar is 3 floors down and you have to get the left which you have to wait ages for but if you just get loads of drinks at one time, there is not really a problem if you can carry them all. Overall this is great value for money and is great for a short break. This is a hotel more suited for the older generations who have their coach trips and not too much to do for younger people but certainly still worth a visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior is set on the shores of Lake Como and is a former 19th-century inn. The beautiful guest rooms are tastefully decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture. The hotel boasts four bars four restaurants and two swimming pools open seasonally.RnrnJust 50 metres from the Cadenabbia landing dock, the Britannia Excelsior offers free parking and beautiful views of Bellagio. RnrnThe centre of Griante is a 10 minutes' walk away. Free public parking is available near the swimming pool. All rooms at the Britannia Excelsior Hotel are equipped with satellite TV and private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Some rooms overlook the lake and some even have a balcony. RnrnFree Wi-Fi is available in the public areas and breakfast is a continental-style buffet available daily in the main restaurant. Both the buffet-style restaurant and the a la carte, lakeside restaurant specialise in classic Italian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Excelsior Hotel
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior Cadenabbia
- Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior Lake Como/Cadenabbia Di Griante, Italy