My friend and I went to this hotel at the beginning of May. We had pre-booked a room with a balcony overlooking the lake, we were not disappointed :) The view was breath taking :) The only negative comment is regarding the restaurant. Their was a tummy bug in the hotel when we got there, and although the hotel provided alcohol washes at the entrance to the restaurant, because the food was wholly buffet style - everyone in the hotel were using the same serving spoons, which would surely not help to keep the infection at bay. Fortunately, I had packed a small bottle of hand wash, which we used constantly during our stay, and were not affected by the infection.
Whilst staying here you MUST take the Bernina Express to St Moritz, the views are spectacular, even if the clouds descend (as they did on our trip) - well worth the money :)
We used the ferries across the lake daily to reach the other local villages of Bellagio, Verenna and Menaggio. Bellagio is a quaint village with typical steep cobbled streets, lovely to wander through on a hot day, as you can always find a shady place to walk :) Verenna is also a quaint village. You must sample the ice cream from the shop in the square in Menaggio, and travel back to the hotel on the little train :)
By now, hopefully the floating swimming pool is complete, we watched the work for the week we were there, it should look good by now :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior is set on the shores of Lake Como and is a former 19th-century inn. The beautiful guest rooms are tastefully decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture. The hotel boasts four bars four restaurants and two swimming pools open seasonally.RnrnJust 50 metres from the Cadenabbia landing dock, the Britannia Excelsior offers free parking and beautiful views of Bellagio. RnrnThe centre of Griante is a 10 minutes' walk away. Free public parking is available near the swimming pool. All rooms at the Britannia Excelsior Hotel are equipped with satellite TV and private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Some rooms overlook the lake and some even have a balcony. RnrnFree Wi-Fi is available in the public areas and breakfast is a continental-style buffet available daily in the main restaurant. Both the buffet-style restaurant and the a la carte, lakeside restaurant specialise in classic Italian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Excelsior Hotel
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior Cadenabbia
- Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior Lake Como/Cadenabbia Di Griante, Italy