Recently returned from wonderful trip to Lake Como with Shearings. On arrival I chose to upgrade to a lake view room with balcony and I'm so glad that I did as the views from my balcony were quite splendid. The room itself was very big and well heated and the food was plentiful. The hotel also provide free packed lunches on request. What most surprised me was the unlimited amounts of free alcohol available from 8am till midnight. Couldn't believe it - we were drinking Prosecco by the gallon during our entire stay and still can't believe that we didn't have to pay any extra for it. The ride on the Bernini Express was fantastic even if St Moritz was geared towards millionaires. The scenery was spectacular. Also went to Milan and looked around La Scala and the Duomo. Other trips to Bergamo and Como Market were very good also. Got the ferry across to Bellagio which is very picturesque.
My only annoyance was the door key which is one of those silly swipe cards that constantly malfunction so that you sometimes cannot get into your room without security having to come and dismantle the door's mechanism to let you in. I do think the hotel should go back to using normal keys instead of these daft electronic swipe cards as it is very frustrating and time-wasting when the silly card malfunctions.
Apart from the key card annoyance I cannot fault this hotel at all and would recommend it to anyone thinking of going . It is in the perfect location for exploring Lake Como and the surrounding areas and I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday and I will definitely return there again sometime next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior is set on the shores of Lake Como and is a former 19th-century inn. The beautiful guest rooms are tastefully decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture. The hotel boasts four bars four restaurants and two swimming pools open seasonally.RnrnJust 50 metres from the Cadenabbia landing dock, the Britannia Excelsior offers free parking and beautiful views of Bellagio. RnrnThe centre of Griante is a 10 minutes' walk away. Free public parking is available near the swimming pool. All rooms at the Britannia Excelsior Hotel are equipped with satellite TV and private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Some rooms overlook the lake and some even have a balcony. RnrnFree Wi-Fi is available in the public areas and breakfast is a continental-style buffet available daily in the main restaurant. Both the buffet-style restaurant and the a la carte, lakeside restaurant specialise in classic Italian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Excelsior Hotel
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior Cadenabbia
- Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior Lake Como/Cadenabbia Di Griante, Italy