my wife and I just returned from this hotel, we arrived at about 10:00 in the morning and were told our rooms wouldn't be ready until about 11:30 / 12:00, but we approached reception anyway, and checked in immediately we were offered a room upgrade for 40 euro's that we took straight away despite not knowing what we were upgrading from ... lol the room they gave us was 115, it had a lovely view over the lake, but my wife had been looking forward to having a bath ( we only have a wet room at home lol ) and the on-suite was shower only ,we returned to reception right away, asked the young girl if we could have a room with a bath, and was swapped
to room115 next door ,A huge corner room with a smaller but adequate balcony with stunning views over the lake to snow capped mountains with a on-suite bathroom bigger than our front room. the maid who looked after our room was amazing, very thorough, even leaving us towel sculptures on the bed every day, ( although the maid who did it on her day off,( wed I think) was very basic not even touching the bathroom) but that was ok, The food is, despite what other reviewers have put, was fine. a large self service buffet style very well organised to say they are feeding a couple of hundred at a time. at breakfast you can get a continental breakfast from seven, the hot "English" breakfast started at eight, we had both and both are fine. and even though there are vending machines for tea coffee etc, the hard working waiters with bring you your drinks to the table, water tea or coffee, during lunch and dinner, they will bring you a jug of wine ( red or white ) and / or a beer. other reviewers are right about the evening bar I'm afraid, there seems to be no atmosphere its set in the basement, with only high windows set along one wall, and all the seats are crammed in, the bar staff do a fine job serving but there are just not enough of them, and only one half of the bar seems to be used. and sometimes the queue waiting would be 20/ 30 long. no here comes the evening entertainment......he must be some sort of relation of the owner or be blackmailing them in some way, the entertainment is very very poor, probably the worse I have seen in any hotel any where in the world,( so at least they set a record there then ) he comes on at 21:00 every weeknight, and plays the organ and sings a few songs mostly old ballads from Elvis etc but in a dodgy Italian accent ,this would be fine as a novelty once, but he is on every night, and never changes. its the same songs in the same order at the same time every night and I never saw him smile or have any interaction with the audience, although a few "oldies" did get up to dance about 22:30 but he stops and leaves at 23:00 and the bar is open till midnight . all in all Cadenabbia and the surrounding area is really beautiful and for the most part the hotel is excellent, I think if I were lucky enough to return to the area,I would choose another hotel, simply due to the evening entertainment and the atmosphere free bar.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior is set on the shores of Lake Como and is a former 19th-century inn. The beautiful guest rooms are tastefully decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture. The hotel boasts four bars four restaurants and two swimming pools open seasonally.RnrnJust 50 metres from the Cadenabbia landing dock, the Britannia Excelsior offers free parking and beautiful views of Bellagio. RnrnThe centre of Griante is a 10 minutes' walk away. Free public parking is available near the swimming pool. All rooms at the Britannia Excelsior Hotel are equipped with satellite TV and private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Some rooms overlook the lake and some even have a balcony. RnrnFree Wi-Fi is available in the public areas and breakfast is a continental-style buffet available daily in the main restaurant. Both the buffet-style restaurant and the a la carte, lakeside restaurant specialise in classic Italian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Excelsior Hotel
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior Cadenabbia
- Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior Lake Como/Cadenabbia Di Griante, Italy