Stayed as a Shearings customer for 1 week. I have read many of the previous reviews and would comment as follows
Plus points on hotel
Situation good for boat, road train and bus.
Free shuttle boat to Belagio (except for grumpy driver)
2 exceptional members of staff - Scottish lady at reception and Emily who worked mainly alone in the very busy downstairs bar. She was totally overworked with very little help but always smiling and pleasant
air conditioning and ceiling fan in room, these were needed as if window was open the road outside made it very noisy
English TV channels in bedrooms mentioned by many as a bonus
Plenty of hot water in the bathroom and shower, also clean towels on request
We were given a large room with a view without paying extra.
Never saw any fresh vegetables during the whole week - all frozen and overcooked,
carrots, broccoli, sprouts, tinned peas, courgettes, peppers etc
Meat served sliced in huge serving dishes covered in gravy.
Breakfast scrambled egg was tough, saw a fresh batch being delivered but that too was over-cooked. Bread rolls were hard practically inedible.
Dessert consisted of minute pieces of indeterminate cake and tinned fruit - pineapple, fruit cocktail, pears. Only fresh fruit available was oranges (dried up) and apples (scabby).
One day asked chef what the meat displayed was and he had to go and ask someone!!
Trays were often empty and people waiting round serving area of refills.
Cleanliness in rooms (mine had fluff under the bed for 4 days), corridors were not cleaned properly, glasses left in lounges from the previous evening (this was 1145).
Wardrobes in room 327 the hanging rail was placed so high from the floor that it was not accessible unless we stood on the bed (I am 5'3") surely a health and safety issue. Then the majority of hangers were the wire ones from dry cleaners
Entertainment was promised on most evenings - only 1 night on the Lido with live music (which was good), however if cancelled due to the weather, they did not come into the indoor bar.
Indoor bar was a man on an organ not the most inspiring.
The hotel was short staffed - staff almost running in the dining room to clear tables, rooms many of which were not cleaned until late afternoon.
Gala dinner advertised and promised, but did not happen (or did it and we did not recognise it as such)
Dining room was so big and busy it felt like a canteen, certainly not a relaxing atmosphere and it was noisy. People walking round with plates full of food not being able to find a table.
Noisy busy road outside the hotel, care had to be taken.
Too many times when you were charged extra, bathing hat, towels for pool, extra key card etc.
An older generation of guests, no detriment there but something to be aware of.
Selection of drinks available all day, coffee machines available dispensing various varieties of coffee and hot chocolate.
We had a good holiday but the food let it down, so much choice - too much? Better to have less choice and more fresh vegetables and better quality of fruit, ditch the tinned fruit so WW2.
Downstairs bar needs a radical upgrade, an L-shape which separated off at least half of the guests.
Sorry review is so long, but there are so many points which need addressing, I sent all this information on the comments form, but never sure how much notice is taken of them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior is set on the shores of Lake Como and is a former 19th-century inn. The beautiful guest rooms are tastefully decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture. The hotel boasts four bars four restaurants and two swimming pools open seasonally.RnrnJust 50 metres from the Cadenabbia landing dock, the Britannia Excelsior offers free parking and beautiful views of Bellagio. RnrnThe centre of Griante is a 10 minutes' walk away. Free public parking is available near the swimming pool. All rooms at the Britannia Excelsior Hotel are equipped with satellite TV and private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Some rooms overlook the lake and some even have a balcony. RnrnFree Wi-Fi is available in the public areas and breakfast is a continental-style buffet available daily in the main restaurant. Both the buffet-style restaurant and the a la carte, lakeside restaurant specialise in classic Italian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Excelsior Hotel
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior Cadenabbia
- Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior Lake Como/Cadenabbia Di Griante, Italy