This was our second high season visit to this Hotel, travelling with Shearings Tours, which was good and well organised. Our Side room on the 3rd floor with views of the hills, the lake, and the building site next door was reasonably sized and we had a big bathroom which was clean, good shower and a window to relieve the humidity after a shower. Towels changed everyday, TV & Aircon worked well, we had trouble with safe & room door lock and engineer was up to the room in minutes and fixed the faults. There does appear to be a lack of staff in the Hotel, staff in the Dining Room are always under pressure but I found them polite and cheerful if you were nice to them. The food was good but some guests eat like pigs with piled up plates of food and dessert but they did seem in the minority, you soon learn what is the best time to dine for all meals. I enjoyed my food at all times although I agree with other reviewers that the scrambled egg was a little sloppy some days.
The big let down is the basement bar and this is consistently poorly staffed, when it fell to one, I went to reception and spoke with the Scottish receptionist, who seemed to take little notice, but I did tell her that I would report on Trip Advisor. The bar has the atmosphere of a 70's British Legion Club, Red leather furniture, glass topped tables, and a man playing the organ and singing on some nights - there are a lot of nice small bars like the Victoria, just along the promenade, where drinks are reasonably priced and the owner and his wife give good entertainment. You don't have to stay in because you are all inclusive and the drink is free. At least 3 staff are needed in this bar and the tour organisers should put their foot down with the management and have it upgraded.
The Hotel is a good base for Tours of the lake and the Hotel provides a free ferry across the lake from the lido to Bellagio, well worth going. I don't know why the snobbery about "Coach Trips" crept in, could be these detractors paid twice the price we did and its their snide way of getting at us. The people I met on Shearings Tour were excellent, very friendly and a good cross section of British Society and included Cambridge graduates, not all of us have the money to travel independently and jumps at a reasonably priced holiday to Italy. Most people were smartly dressed in the Dining Room and the few Footy Shirts and flip flops soon disappeared.
In all I would say that a Tour to this Hotel is excellent value for money and a good chance to see Northern Italy, Switzerland and the lakes. I hope to travel again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior is set on the shores of Lake Como and is a former 19th-century inn. The beautiful guest rooms are tastefully decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture. The hotel boasts four bars four restaurants and two swimming pools open seasonally.RnrnJust 50 metres from the Cadenabbia landing dock, the Britannia Excelsior offers free parking and beautiful views of Bellagio. RnrnThe centre of Griante is a 10 minutes' walk away. Free public parking is available near the swimming pool. All rooms at the Britannia Excelsior Hotel are equipped with satellite TV and private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Some rooms overlook the lake and some even have a balcony. RnrnFree Wi-Fi is available in the public areas and breakfast is a continental-style buffet available daily in the main restaurant. Both the buffet-style restaurant and the a la carte, lakeside restaurant specialise in classic Italian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Excelsior Hotel
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior Cadenabbia
- Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior Lake Como/Cadenabbia Di Griante, Italy