Having read mixed reviews about this hotel we came anyway, on a Shearings Coach Break. The price for the whole trip was attractive so I could not expect the best rooms in the place. As it was we had a rear/side room on the 3rd floor with a balcony from which you could see the lake and Bellagio across the water. It was clean and tidy and available by 1:45pm on the day of our arrival. The shower was tiny and leaked a bit, but the beds were comfortable, there was a flat screen TV with 8 English channels, room safe, air con and ceiling fan (which we didn't use as it frightened the life out of me). The room itself was small by USA standards but was an Italian 3 star room and pretended to be nothing else. 5 Euros bought you an extra key card which was worth the convenience. We found the reception staff polite and eager to please helping with all our questions and requirements, which was often for the packed lunch. The restaurant staff were again friendly and attentive and the all inclusive option provided plenty of choice. Freshly cooked fish, pasta and Pizza complemented the normal choices. Some of the ice creams were delicious. Alcohol was served with the meals via waiter service. From 10 to midnight the downstairs bar served drinks of all varieties. The range was good and the service friendly. Occasionally a queue would form but the hard working girls would soon work through it. Drinks (no spirits) were also served poolside from 10 to 6pm at both the excellent pools. This was a hotel where many of the clientele seemed to have beefs with all and sundry. Yes there could be some changes made to the way passports are checked and rooms allocated when a coach pulls in but if you went with the flow the staff tried to make your experience a good one. We enjoyed our stay at the Grand Excelsior.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior is set on the shores of Lake Como and is a former 19th-century inn. The beautiful guest rooms are tastefully decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture. The hotel boasts four bars four restaurants and two swimming pools open seasonally.RnrnJust 50 metres from the Cadenabbia landing dock, the Britannia Excelsior offers free parking and beautiful views of Bellagio. RnrnThe centre of Griante is a 10 minutes' walk away. Free public parking is available near the swimming pool. All rooms at the Britannia Excelsior Hotel are equipped with satellite TV and private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Some rooms overlook the lake and some even have a balcony. RnrnFree Wi-Fi is available in the public areas and breakfast is a continental-style buffet available daily in the main restaurant. Both the buffet-style restaurant and the a la carte, lakeside restaurant specialise in classic Italian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Excelsior Hotel
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior Cadenabbia
- Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior Lake Como/Cadenabbia Di Griante, Italy