We booked this hotel several months ago as we wanted a base in Lake Como and this was by far the best value on offer. Because it was less expensive than the other options we booked a deluxe lake view room and we were not disappointed. I agree with a lot of the more recent positive comments, for example our room was of a better quality than most 3 star hotels having a flat screen tv, one of the best showers we have had in a hotel and comfortable beds to add to the gorgeous view. I appreciate that not all the rooms are as good as this but we did pay a supplement to get this standard of room.
The public areas of the hotel were also of a good quality – plenty quiet places to sit inside to stay out of the sun as well as the outside terrace. We didn’t use this as it was very warm as it got the sun most of the day. We didn’t use the lido but it looked clean and well kept and seemed to be very popular in an excellent location. The bar is in the basement so is a bit dark but it’s not something we tend to use so that didn’t affect us and it certainly seemed popular in the evening.
The main criticisms of the hotel seem to revolve around the dining room. Yes it is busy and noisy but it is a large hotel so that has to be expected. The waiting staff must cover miles at every mealtime and I think it is unrealistic to expect them to converse in all languages of the guests staying at the hotel (English, French, German and more) especially when Italian is not always their first language. We found them polite and helpful when you treated them in the way you expect to be treated yourself.
The food was far better than we expected from the reviews. We found there were plenty of options that suited us at dinner and at breakfast there were all the options you would expect, more than in some other Italian hotels we have stayed at.
The bottom line is that this is a competitively priced large tourist class 3 star hotel catering for a massive number of guests and that should be taken into account in your expectation, our expectation was exceeded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior is set on the shores of Lake Como and is a former 19th-century inn. The beautiful guest rooms are tastefully decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture. The hotel boasts four bars four restaurants and two swimming pools open seasonally.RnrnJust 50 metres from the Cadenabbia landing dock, the Britannia Excelsior offers free parking and beautiful views of Bellagio. RnrnThe centre of Griante is a 10 minutes' walk away. Free public parking is available near the swimming pool. All rooms at the Britannia Excelsior Hotel are equipped with satellite TV and private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Some rooms overlook the lake and some even have a balcony. RnrnFree Wi-Fi is available in the public areas and breakfast is a continental-style buffet available daily in the main restaurant. Both the buffet-style restaurant and the a la carte, lakeside restaurant specialise in classic Italian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Excelsior Hotel
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior Cadenabbia
- Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior Lake Como/Cadenabbia Di Griante, Italy