“I love me here!”
Review of Le Ragnaie

Le Ragnaie
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Montalcino
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Great space, breakfast, and fabulous! I will return!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 December 2011

This review comes half a year late but...our group of 6 stayed in Le Ragnaie last July for 2 nights. We had an apartment with 2 bedrooms, kitchen and a living room where my 2 daughters slept. Apartment, was brand new and spacious, the only downside being AC which had minimal volume and did not provide very much relief in the summer heat.

Ragnaie is a living winery, with lovely garden and wineyards around. You can visit the cellars, but as the winery is new, their wines need some years to develop. Distance to Montalcino is 2-3 km, not a walking distance as it is uphill....There is top winery and restaurant just in the neighborhood: Poggio Antico - a must visit both for dinner and their wines.

Pool is just ok for short morning/afternoon dips, and for kids, and the views from pool terrace are spectacular. Breakfast ok, with some home made pastries, cakes each morning, selection was not huge but everything was fresh. Experience with personnel was a bit varied - mostly welcoming (especially the cellar tour by the Argentinian wine maker), but at times a bit rude at breakfast).

Anyway - overall a pleasant experience, especially because of nice scenery, close to town, and very comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: 2 bed room apartment is good for 4 adults and 2 kids may share a sofa bed
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I am not sure if the summer times bring sunny moods but the caretakers of this establishment were utterly rude and absolutely unapproachable. We were clearly not welcomed and experienced rudeness from all starting from the chambermaid to the owner where the owner was one of the rudest people we have ever come across in the hospitality industry. Please beware that if you choose to stay at this place you might be treated so such repulse that it might ruin your entire Montelcino countryside experience. I sometimes heavily rely on TripAdvisor for making my selection of hotel when I am staying infrequently visited places therefore I felt I had to write this review for any future travelers who might be considering to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank BonVoyaage
alvarinoflorence, Owner at Le Ragnaie, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

Dear Guest,
We were extremely disappointed to hear about your bad experience at Le Ragnaie. Our goal is to create a hospitable and warm environment for everyone who chooses to stay with us. It is certainly not our intent to make anyone feel unwelcome at anytime whether it be high or low season. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you and we hope that we may have a chance to make this up to you in the future. We take your comments very seriously and we are always working to improve our Inn. The situation which you have described is unacceptable by our standards. As I was away for most of the month of November It would be extremely helpful to me if you could give me the exact dates that you stayed with us so that I may take the appropriate measures. You may contact me directly at info@leragnaie.com
Best Regards,
Riccardo Campinoti

Reviewed 1 December 2011

Owners Jenny and Riccardo Campinoti have created the most perfect and beautiful winery and B&B at Le Ragnaie. The setting is breathtaking. Attention has been paid to every detail in the rooms with simplistic yet elegant decor - manogramed bathrobes, beautiful soaps and ironed linen sheets. The breakfast buffet is fabulous with boiled eggs, meats, cheeses, pastries, fruit, jams and endless cafe and juices - plenty to set you off for a whole day before dinner. The pool overlooking the many acres of vineyards would be a treat to come "home" to in the hot Italian summers. The guests were from all over the world. Jenny is from Atlanta, Georgia USA so English is spoken. The wine is fabulous and you can buy it there and have it shipped! It is a great home "base" for touring Siena, Montalcino, Montipulciano and Pienza. A MUST for anyone going to the Tuscany region. I cannot recommend enough!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Le Ragnaie is a beautiful place to stay -- beautifully renovated for guests, impeccably maintained around the grounds -- more like a luxury resort but at very reasonable prices. The views west are wonderful from the hill top. Breakfast was delicious, well-prepared. We stayed at the end of October, just past harvest season. Montalcino is a perfect quiet Tuscan town with no pretenses. Siena is only an hour away. We'd love to go back and would recommend this to anyone looking a quiet, well-executed, low key get-away.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I just spent a weekend with my family (two children). This place is a gem. For those of you who appreciate fine wine and still would like to understand what is Tuscany & Quality, please visit. The cantina has a fantastic ambience, great wines to sample and is very well located, Val d’Orcia and Province of Siena being one of the best places in Europe.
The apartment is luxurious, well furnished, with a meravelous panorama.
I bought some bottles of wine and I was lucky with the weather conditions so I had the opportunity to enjoy the swimming pool, simply great.
What I loved more? Sniffing the aromas and the tasting of wines.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We were tired and hot when we came upon Le Ragnaie by chance late in the day. The owners were welcoming and showed us a choice of rooms, which was a breath of fresh air after asking at four of five hotels in the centro storico of Montalcino and finding that there was no room at the inn. The bedroom was beautifully decorated and we felt so fortunate to have happened upon this gem. Ask the owner to see his cellar as it is a wonder! We look forward to returning.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple