“A free lunch exists”
Review of Fattoria dei Barbi

Fattoria dei Barbi
Ranked #4 of 15 Tours in Montalcino
More attraction details
Owner description: The Fattoria dei Barbi is one of the most famous and historic wine producers in Italy. Since the end of the 1700s, the Fattoria dei Barbi is the property of the Cinelli Colombini family, who have owned land in Montalcino since 1352. Since 1892 it has produced Brunello and it opened its cellars to visitors in 1960. More than three million wine lovers have visited it to date and have been able to see in person the care and attention we put in every phase of production of our Brunello di Montalcino. Besides visiting the cellars, with their countless rooms of oak barrels and the bottle cellar holding wines from 1870to our own day, visitors can taste, free of charge, the wines made by the Fattoria.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

A free lunch exists! And a free wine tasting too. We came after closing hours and received special treatment by the very kind Simona Bianchi and one of her colleagues at Taverna dei Barbi. Ms Bianchi surprised my girlfriend and me with a free wine tasting just for us and after this a quick look at the production. We were not only too late for the tour. We were also too late for the restaurant. Again we were positively surprised. The waiter in cooperation with the folks in the kitchen provided us with a free lunch bag with four very good sandwiches and a couple of Fantas. True Italian spirit from this great producer of Brunello - still family owned and one of the largest. Needless to say that the Brunello tasted excellent.

1  Thank KimUlrikSchaumann
FattoriadeiBarbi, visite e degustazioni at Fattoria dei Barbi, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear KimUlrikS,

Thanks you for taking the time to leave your kind words following your recent visit. I really do hope that we get the chance to look after your and your girlfriend again on a future occasion !

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I recently took their tour with my family and we all had a great time-- and learned a lot! Simona showed us the facilities (including some very old and expensive bottles of wine) and provided us with some fascinating facts about the history of their vineyard as well as the Brunello production in the general area. She guided us through the wine tasting and enthusiastically answered all of our questions. All in all we had a wonderful experience thanks to Simona.

FattoriadeiBarbi, Visite e Degustazioni at Fattoria dei Barbi, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Mark,
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review of us here at Fattoria dei Barbi !
I am so pleased to read you and your family had enjoyed your tour and tasting with me. I look forward to welcoming you many more times in the future !

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We arrived in time for the noon tour and our guide Simona was extremely knowledgeable and courteous. We were really able to get a sense of the storied history of the family and winery, which was quite special. It was kind of a thrill to be able to view the very old Brunellos ageing in their cellar. At the end of the tour we were treated to tastes of four different wines--and all for five euros. Afterwards we stayed for lunch at their restaurant--with a bottle of their '04 Brunello Riserva--and everything was delicious!

I have happily had the '07 Barbi Brunello on my wine list for a while, so I was very interested in touring this winery on my first trip to Tuscany. I am so glad I did! Now I am even happier with my list selection, and for the wonderful experience I can share with my guests! I will not miss Fattoria dei Barbi on my next visit to Tuscany!

Dear Alicia,
Thank you for your great review ! It was a pleasure having you on tour and I hope to see you on your next trip to Montalcino !

Simona

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Our tour with Simona was truly a pleasure. The wines are outstanding, and Simona's knowledge and explanation of the differences in vintage was a tool we could use throughout our stay in Tuscany. A great education. Thanks Simona!!!

FattoriadeiBarbi, visite e degustazioni in cantina at Fattoria dei Barbi, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Thank you and thank you again !
Fattoria dei Barbi
Simona

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We arrived too late for lunch and too early for dinner...but were pleased with our wine tasting with Simone. We purchased two bottles and are saving them for a fantastic occasion. Thanks so much.

FattoriadeiBarbi, visite e degustazioni in cantina at Fattoria dei Barbi, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you very much for your nice review and I am so sorry that you couldn't enjoy lunch or dinner by us ! Most restaurants in Italy usually open for two separate shifts each day. Restaurants usually start serving their lunch customers at 2:30pm and continue until 3pm. Opening hours for the dinner shift usually starts at about 7:30pm and go on until 10pm or even later, especially in the south of Italy.