“Authentic Tuscan cookery made easy and fun”
Review of Taste Tuscany

Taste Tuscany
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooking Lessons - Learn to cook traditional Tuscan recipes including home made pasta - under the guidance of experienced Tuscan cooks. A very hands on experience for cooks of all levels. Big choice of menus.
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband and I took the cooking class with Lesley and Paula last July but have only just got round to reviewing it. We were picked up by Lesley which made getting to her home very easy and gave plenty of time to ask ots of questions about life in the Tuscan countryside. Paula is Italian and speaks no English, but even my husband who speaks no Italian could easily follow instructions. Both of us were thoroughly hands on - in fact there was no doubt as to our absolute involvement in the making of all the dishes. The lesson ends with a leisurely lunch eating our morning's labours - most enjoyable and informative, with many tips on the perfect way to make and handle pasta. To be thoroughly recommended.

Date of experience: July 2013
"regional wines"
"other travelers"
"leisurely lunch"

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I am not one to write reviews but when I do, it is because the experience was either terribly bad or extraordinarily wonderful. In the case of my cooking class with Taste Tuscany, it was the later! Lesley took a group of 12 adults (6 couples- yep that's right, guys too!) and made us the chefs for a day. Lesley met us at approx 9:30 at our hotel and led us back to her home. We prepared pasta dough for ravioli, goat cheees tarts, pizzas, bruschetta, chicken liver pate, braised beef in Brunello wine sauce, tiramisu and a host of other dishes. We mixed dough,rolled dough through a pasta roller, made fillings, shaved chocolate, chopped liver, poured wine, cooked pasta, made sauces, poured more wine. (did I mention that we drank some wine?) Then we sat down on Lesley's back porch to enjoy a wonderful meal that we had all prepared ourselves with of course the expert and friendly instruction of Lesley and her lovely assistant. We are still talking about our experience with Taste Tuscany as it was one of the highlights of our trip to Italy. I would definately recommend Lesley and Taste Tuscany to any and all that wish to learn more about the cooking and taste of the Tuscan area. We departed with a book of recipes for the dishes we had prepared, but we also left feeling that we were a part of Lesley's family as she invited us in to her home and we left as friends. I appreciate her love of a beautiful country and a willingness to share it with others. If you love good food, good wine and good friends, then don't miss this! Well done Lesley, Hope to see you again!

2  Thank Mitchell H
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My sister in law and I took this class in September 2013 and it was the most amazing experience of our 3 country, 2 week trip! Because booked the day first we were able to set the menu, which was ideal because I can't eat dairy (in Italy--boo!) We made crostini with mushrooms, pappa y pomodoro soup, homemade pici pasta with a spicy tomato sauce, bacon crusted breaded pork filet, caprese salad and an apricot crostada. It was one of the best meals I've ever eaten--and now I can make it all myself! The Italian cook was lovely, even though she spoke zero English. Lesley provided all the translation that was needed (which wasn't a ton--you can learn a lot with just hand motions) and we all participated fully. We chopped, grated, rolled, kneaded, stirred, etc. All the food was delicious, but simple enough for someone to make at home. It changed how I view lots of food because now I know the value of fresh, good ingredients. I'll never buy dry pasta again!
The food was amazing, but the environment was what made the day. It was fun! The great Aussies we were cooking with were fun, and we felt like we were at a party with our friends. Lesley's kitchen was charming and she fostered the conversation and just made it all seem more fun. Our hubbys came back for lunch (only 10 euro each) and we all sat and ate and drank wine on the back porch with amazing views. All and all an amazing day and a spectacular value. I looked at many classes in the area and all were much more expensive. This was perfect for us!
The only bad part of the day was getting there--Lesley doesn't exactly live on the beaten path. She picks up guests in a 10 km area, but we were in Montepulciano so we drove. Getting there took forever because we got lost--though we did see a lot of beautiful country on the way.
If you're looking for a cooking class, you found it. It was amazing. Do it!

1  Thank sciarella
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We just finished a great day in Lesley's kitchen. The pace is relaxed, everyone gets to participate. In addition, the food was sooooo good it is hard to believe we made it all together. If you have the time, are interested in food, and want to learn, this was a great way to spend the day. I would recommend this highly.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My husband & I had such an incredible day with Lesley! This was back in September 2012 (Lesley, sorry for the delay in getting this review posted). We stayed in Montalcino and Lesley picked us up for a nearly full day in her kitchen. We made everything from foccacia to ravioli to gnocchi and then got to eat it all with some incredible wine parings from the region. Lesley is English and coached the class but the real cooking was with her lovely Italian chef who was an absolute delight! We were also with another couple which made for a really fun and tasty day. We were sent home with recipes and can't wait to try them out. Thanks Lesley!

Date of experience: September 2012