“Amazing Experience in Tuscan cuisine”
Review of Taste Tuscany

Taste Tuscany
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooking Lessons - Learn to cook traditional Tuscan recipes including home made pasta - under the guidance of experienced Tuscan cooks. A very hands on experience for cooks of all levels. Big choice of menus.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had a very memorable day of cooking and eating Classic Tuscan dishes. Leslie, the owner led the session that was instructed by Paula who is a card carrying Tuscan Nonna. We made bruschetta, gnocchi along with a very delicious Brunello braised beef stew and many other delicacies.

My fiancée and I picked the menu and participated in the cooking of everything at Leslie's home in rural tuscany not far from montalcino. We walks away with a recipe book, quenched appetites and a lot of great memories. I would definitely do that again and recommend others to try it also.

2  Thank Andrew B
"leisurely lunch"
"torta della nonna"
"week trip"

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Booked the cooking lesson with lunch for my birthday while we were in the area and I couldn't have wished for better way to spend my birthday.

The course is taught by a British woman - Lesley - who has been living in Tuscany for the last decade, with help from a a Tuscan woman - Paula - who, although not being able to speak any English quite happily talks away (an added benefit of some language practice while you're cooking).

We cooked la Riboleta (tuscan bean soup), tricolore gnocchi, filetto incrosta, caprese salad and tiramisu. The course was very much hands on and the course leaders only stepped in to demonstrate a technique or help if we were struggling with a particular step.

Lesley and Paula were both lovely and the meal was delicious. It was accompanied by some great local wines and great conversation. We had a wonderful time and would definitely recommend to anyone that enjoys cooking or eating.

2  Thank Ty H
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband and I took the cooking class with Lesley and Paula last July but have only just got round to reviewing it. We were picked up by Lesley which made getting to her home very easy and gave plenty of time to ask ots of questions about life in the Tuscan countryside. Paula is Italian and speaks no English, but even my husband who speaks no Italian could easily follow instructions. Both of us were thoroughly hands on - in fact there was no doubt as to our absolute involvement in the making of all the dishes. The lesson ends with a leisurely lunch eating our morning's labours - most enjoyable and informative, with many tips on the perfect way to make and handle pasta. To be thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank NZ54
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I am not one to write reviews but when I do, it is because the experience was either terribly bad or extraordinarily wonderful. In the case of my cooking class with Taste Tuscany, it was the later! Lesley took a group of 12 adults (6 couples- yep that's right, guys too!) and made us the chefs for a day. Lesley met us at approx 9:30 at our hotel and led us back to her home. We prepared pasta dough for ravioli, goat cheees tarts, pizzas, bruschetta, chicken liver pate, braised beef in Brunello wine sauce, tiramisu and a host of other dishes. We mixed dough,rolled dough through a pasta roller, made fillings, shaved chocolate, chopped liver, poured wine, cooked pasta, made sauces, poured more wine. (did I mention that we drank some wine?) Then we sat down on Lesley's back porch to enjoy a wonderful meal that we had all prepared ourselves with of course the expert and friendly instruction of Lesley and her lovely assistant. We are still talking about our experience with Taste Tuscany as it was one of the highlights of our trip to Italy. I would definately recommend Lesley and Taste Tuscany to any and all that wish to learn more about the cooking and taste of the Tuscan area. We departed with a book of recipes for the dishes we had prepared, but we also left feeling that we were a part of Lesley's family as she invited us in to her home and we left as friends. I appreciate her love of a beautiful country and a willingness to share it with others. If you love good food, good wine and good friends, then don't miss this! Well done Lesley, Hope to see you again!

2  Thank Mitchell H
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My sister in law and I took this class in September 2013 and it was the most amazing experience of our 3 country, 2 week trip! Because booked the day first we were able to set the menu, which was ideal because I can't eat dairy (in Italy--boo!) We made crostini with mushrooms, pappa y pomodoro soup, homemade pici pasta with a spicy tomato sauce, bacon crusted breaded pork filet, caprese salad and an apricot crostada. It was one of the best meals I've ever eaten--and now I can make it all myself! The Italian cook was lovely, even though she spoke zero English. Lesley provided all the translation that was needed (which wasn't a ton--you can learn a lot with just hand motions) and we all participated fully. We chopped, grated, rolled, kneaded, stirred, etc. All the food was delicious, but simple enough for someone to make at home. It changed how I view lots of food because now I know the value of fresh, good ingredients. I'll never buy dry pasta again!
The food was amazing, but the environment was what made the day. It was fun! The great Aussies we were cooking with were fun, and we felt like we were at a party with our friends. Lesley's kitchen was charming and she fostered the conversation and just made it all seem more fun. Our hubbys came back for lunch (only 10 euro each) and we all sat and ate and drank wine on the back porch with amazing views. All and all an amazing day and a spectacular value. I looked at many classes in the area and all were much more expensive. This was perfect for us!
The only bad part of the day was getting there--Lesley doesn't exactly live on the beaten path. She picks up guests in a 10 km area, but we were in Montepulciano so we drove. Getting there took forever because we got lost--though we did see a lot of beautiful country on the way.
If you're looking for a cooking class, you found it. It was amazing. Do it!

1  Thank sciarella