“Fun. Wine & Cheese”

Enoteca la Fortezza di Montalcino
Ranked #10 of 85 things to do in Montalcino
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Walk up to the fortress. Once in the walls, go to the back corner and go inside to try 3 to 6 glasses of Brunello. Add the pecorino cheese. Browse all the bottles for sale. Easy to relax and enjoy yourself. I thought the service here was great. I ended up buying a couple of bottles. Love this whole area!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Rewind: My mom and I stumbled upon La Fortezza in December 2007 quite by accident as we drove through Montalcino in search of the perfor bottle of Brunello for a wedding gift (giving as as "save for for your ten year anniversary" gift---I was 24 and was going to the wedding of two world travelers... and wanted something unique and special and figured a bottle of wine that would age for 10 yrs would be perfect). La Fortezza was the perfect blend of AMAZING views, fantastic location (I mean, enotecca in a former fortress? Yes, please!) and most importantly, you could taste ALL the Brunellos you wanted in ONE location. Given one of us had to drive and the other one could have fun, La Fortezza was the perfect find for us to both enjoy some Brunello without driving to (and sampling) many vineyards. Bonus? They shipped----everything. We had a case shipped home and I had my fancy schmancy bottle of wine for the happy couple!

Fastword: So after the wonderful experience my mom and I had in 2007 I knew I would return--the question was, when? My husband and I got married in 2013 and decided last minute to take a trip to Italy post wedding (not actually the planned honeymoon)---essentially doing the same self-drive journey I took with my mom. Naturally we had to stop by La Fortezza during our travels. We purposefully stayed in Montalcino so would we spend ample time at La Fortezza---this time planned :)

It was just as amazing as the first time---we arrive well before sunset this time after a nice drive from Rome to our hotel. We immediately went to the tasting room and ended up with a case---and several amazing samples. My husband absolutely felll in love with the location and said, we will be back. Now we're just waiting for the right occasion.

This is truly a unique and special place and well worth the trip into town!!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Not only is the wine here amazing served up with the greatest of expertise in the ancient fortress of Montalcino but the service is wonderful. We went back three times and Sergio took great care of us. We took advantage of their free shipping to the United States on 12 bottles or more and are eagerly awaiting our case of Brunello back home.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We found this place when we visited Italy in October. Good food, wine, and friendly staff. Fun tasting the wine's and the view from the outdoor restaurant area was very nice.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Upon coming here this was our first stop in a line of brunello tasting tours and it did not disappoint! I was simply amazed as to first the view and then the complete level of astounding service we had. The staff took us through their years of wine, teaching up, tasting, and even after we ordered was still just so amazing to us. I feel in love with brunellos and Montalcino! It was simply amazing we ended up coming home with some really great wine and it even shipped withing 3 weeks!